The NHL Thread

Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
in General Discussion Posts: 40,370
Finally! Now we can clear up the chat thread and reserve all talks for the sport here. Seasons, teams, playoffs in general, anything is up for discussion, so fire away!

Comments

• edited April 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Leafs might upend the league's number one team

Will the Caps find a way to hold a lead and assert dominance over the young blue-and-white upstarts?

Btw I am predicting Penguins to repeat as Cup champs

They will beat the Predators in 5.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I think if Edmonton wins tonight then they'll take this series. Realistically, I think they have a good shot of beating Anaheim.

Pens can close out their series tonight which i think they will.

Rangers rebound to even the series.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Great to see this, guys. Hope many great chats lie ahead! :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Given their performance the last few seasons, I'd be surprised if the Caps made it to the final, as opposed to an early exit like they're accustomed to. Still not 100% on who will win the West, but I think the Pens have nabbed it for a second year in a row - unless, of course, something unexpected happens.
    Glad this thread has been created!

2017 Stanley Cup Prediction: Penguins over Blues in 6

My team is about to be gone so I will likely just be sitting back and enjoying the ride soon.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Are you following the playoffs Draggers?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2017 Posts: 17,727
    timmer wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Are you following the playoffs Draggers?

Sadly no, though in Northern Ireland we have the Belfast Giants. Not a big sports fan, but I just felt these guys deserved their own thread as the sport is very popular among a good few members here.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The problem with Washington is Holtby. I will give much credit to Toronto for playing phenomenal. I mean they could be on their way to a sweep if they held their own in game 1. But Holtby has been off IMO. 4 goals let up in games 2 and 3 is a disaster recipe no matter how good your offense is.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Glad this thread has been created!

2017 Stanley Cup Prediction: Penguins over Blues in 6

My team is about to be gone so I will likely just be sitting back and enjoying the ride soon.

That's what I wanted for last year's final. Would have been a better series than San Jose.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    I can't describe the disappointment I have in my Minnesota Wild. Ah! I can't look! X_X
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,370
    The problem with Washington is Holtby. I will give much credit to Toronto for playing phenomenal. I mean they could be on their way to a sweep if they held their own in game 1. But Holtby has been off IMO. 4 goals let up in games 2 and 3 is a disaster recipe no matter how good your offense is.

Holtby seems to waver between an incredible game, or giving up a lot of bad, easy shots.

@Jazz007, that's the other team in the playoffs I've been real surprised by! They were red hot during the season, shame they've begun to falter in the playoffs, as well.

Really hope the Pens can sweep the Blue Jackets tonight and get a few days of rest and/or practice before the second round.
    I didn't expect Minnesota to do this bad. But it's more on the great goaltending of Allen then anything
    Sometimes that's all it takes is a goaltender who is on an absolute tear; not much you can do but hope for a lucky bounce or redirect at that point, sadly.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The biggest shock for me has to be Chicago... W.T.F????

Toronto is my second surprise; as a Torontonian, I have suffered through terrible teams for the past fourteen seasons. I stopped watching them entirely about five years ago... I continued watching hockey, playing and coaching my son's competitive hockey teams, but I ignored the Leafs all together.

When Shannahan (one of my all time favorites) became President of the Club, my interest was started to rise. When he fired everyone, right down to the trainers, are became very interested. When he hired Babcock, got rid os all the bad contracts and sunk the team to thirtieth, I became a Leaf fan again.

This playoff run so far has been nothing short of inspiring to watch. Babs has these kids not only playing a quick game (lots of short passes, constant movement), but it's been where their collective brains have been at; Babs is coach, mentor and therapist!

To think there are nine players making their Stanley Cup debut...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm quite pleased with how the Leafs are doing this season, being a Torontonian myself. That said, I've always been more of a Habs fan. My father is a Montrealer, so that team has been apart of my life since childhood.
    I'm just happy that not only did a few Canadian teams make the playoffs this year, but a couple are looking to make the second round.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm just happy that not only did a few Canadian teams make the playoffs this year, but a couple are looking to make the second round.

Quite the difference from last season with no Canadian teams and most of the southern teams in.
    I'm also happy about that. After my team, I root for the Canadian teams the most.
    I'm the opposite. I won't root for any Canadian teams.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'm also happy about that. After my team, I root for the Canadian teams the most.

You and I both, aside from a few fan favorite teams I enjoy watching.
    I'll admit that the atmosphere is insane in Canada. Between Toronto's and Edmontons arenas, it's the best I've seen in awhile
    I'll admit that the atmosphere is insane in Canada. Between Toronto's and Edmontons arenas, it's the best I've seen in awhile

Incredibly. The bellows and cheers in the Edmonton stadium were wild in the clips I've seen from the game.
    The sea of orange was enough for me. Not able to watch much of those games since the start time is too late.
    The sea of orange was enough for me. Not able to watch much of those games since the start time is too late.

I always loathe the West Coast road trips, knowing I'll be up until 1 or 2 A.M. watching those games. Even worse staying up to watch them, just to see my team lose.
    I don't do it anymore unless its a weekend game
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,370
    The Canadiens/Rangers game is scoreless, eager to see if the former keeps the lead in the series or if the latter manages to tie it up.

EDIT: Game is tied 1-1 with two periods left.
    Watching the pens-jackets. Habs and Rangers doesnt overly interest me.
    Watching the pens-jackets. Habs and Rangers doesnt overly interest me.

Nor I, though I want the Habs to win that one, for sure.
    Lesser of two snowbirding transplant evils for me. Im going with New York
    Blue Jackets fan here. I went to the heartbreaking game 3 on Sunday, which saw us lose a 3-1 lead, tie it at 4 near the end of regulation only to lose on a hat trick by a rookie in OT.

Watching them winning 2-0 after the 1st period tonight so far on TV, though.