Simple random film questions: Have you ever demanded your money back in the theatre and why?

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited June 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,447
First question: What is/are your most awkward cinema experience(s)?

Surely we've all had them, those times when you just know you'll never forget what has just happened to you. And cinemas prove fertile ground for some when it comes to awkwardness. Here's a few of my experiences:

1) Going to see GHOST IN THE SHELL 2 INNOCENCE in 2005. One night only. Empty room except for 4 dudes, myself included, who spread out across the room as if shying away from human contact. And yet one of those guys ended up in the same teacher training as I did, only a few months later. We nodded. We knew. Part of the elite. Anime power, dude.

2) Wearing my Freddy Krueger outfit, including the glove, for FREDDY VS JASON in 2003. One mother looked at me like I should have been institutionalised. Her comments were rude beyond belief. But she was accompanying her 16 year old kids to see FREDDY VS JASON! What sort of an audience did she expect?

3) Watching the U2 360° TOUR in 3D in the theatre. After the movie was finished, no-one had even bothered to turn on the lights again. Even the emergency lights were out! And with no flashlights in cell phones as yet available, we had a very clumsy and difficult time reaching for the exit.

4) Attending the première of the very disappointing RING 2. A fat, older man is sitting behind me. Starts talking to me. I don't want to. Not interested in his opinion about the first film. He smells. One of those "I haven't changed my clothes in two weeks and haven't taken a shower in two months" kind of smells. The smell contaminates the entire room. As soon as the lights are turned off, my friends and I manoeuvre down several rows. We've reached the second row when we decide the smell has gotten bearable. Yet the smell intensifies during the movie. When the lights are turned on again, the filthy bugger is sitting behind us! Creepy as hell. A bit of real-life horror for a horror film? Fine. But that smell! THAT SMELL!!

5) Watching THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT in 1999, seated in the first row, all the way to the right. It's my first found footage film ever. From that angle, I swear, I was turning sea sick with every passing moment. So at one point, I slip out of the room to go to the bathroom and splash some water in my face; but I can't seem to find the bathroom, I choose the wrong door and suddenly I find myself outside the theatre complex, down in the street. I had left my ticket in my bag, which was still in the theatre. So I get back inside through the normal entrance (the back door couldn't be opened from the outside), try to slip past the ticket guy. He starts arguing, I try to explain things, but giving a confused (i.e. ill) look, he doesn't trust me. I keep pointing out that my friends were in the theatre and that there was now one empty space (mine!), but he won't have it. Even when he discovers the theatre is sold out, he still demands I pay the price of a ticket. I'm trying to explain to this fool that if the movie is sold out and yet there is one empty space, next to people who could verify my existence, surely it would be fair to assume that space is mine. Also, if he lets me inside, I can walk to my bag and show him the ticket and my ID. The lousy college student takes his flashlight, disturbs the movie by checking out my story but orders me to wait outside. After a few moments he comes back and allows me to walk in. But I hadn't even paid my visit to the bathroom yet! This experience tainted my appreciation for THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT for many years.

6) Going to see that Will / Jaden Smith project AFTER EARTH a few years ago. After about five minutes, a woman starts crying, sobbing. And she continues to do so for the duration of the film. That, however, is nothing compared to when we went to see THE CONJURING 2. A couple of teens in the back were making "those" kind of noises. You know the ones I'm talking about. Fair enough. But seriously, during THE CONJURING 2?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,686
    My most awkward cinema experience is, unbeaten to this day, having to sit through one of the Twilight films (the 2nd one). I was on a date with a girl - I bought her flowers, I payed for the restaurant, and told her we'd go to the cinema to see any film she wanted to see to finish the evening. And, you guessed it, she chose the latest Twilight outing that was featured in the cinema. I never talked to her again after that evening, and it took me over 7 years to ever want to try dating a woman again.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, I had a similar experience, dating a girl who insisted we see that last TWILIGHT BREAKING DAWN PT.2 film. It was abysmal. But man, 7 years? That's a pretty extreme reaction. ;-)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Probably the time I inhaled a piece of popcorn and spent ten minutes trying to at least choke to death as quietly and considerately as possible.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    My most awkward cinema experience is, unbeaten to this day, having to sit through one of the Twilight films (the 2nd one). I was on a date with a girl - I bought her flowers, I payed for the restaurant, and told her we'd go to the cinema to see any film she wanted to see to finish the evening. And, you guessed it, she chose the latest Twilight outing that was featured in the cinema. I never talked to her again after that evening, and it took me over 7 years to ever want to try dating a woman again.
    Christ, You should have gotten back in the game sooner, mate.

Yeah, pretty much a post-Twilight celibate you settled down for? :)
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Probably the time I inhaled a piece of popcorn and spent ten minutes trying to at least choke to death as quietly and considerately as possible.
    LMAO! I love this comment since even though I haven't had problems like this it sounds like something i'd do....I could be dying but I wouldn't want to disturb other people...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    When watching THE GODFATHER, this incredibly fat woman had the seat on my left. I was nearly crushed.

Another time, cannot remember which film, a paraplegic without arms two rows in front of me, sat moaning aloud during the entire film. Of course no one complained, but it was very, very disturbing.
    Strange, @Thunderfinger. I wonder what she was moaning about.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

I wouldn't have left without getting some. Just saying, I wouldn't have gone through all that for nothing.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Strange, @Thunderfinger. I wonder what she was moaning about.

It was a he. Couldn t speak probably, but just had to complain. You know the type.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    This is already my new favourite thread.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Silvafall (followed by SPECTRE, infinitely better)

The Disney Teeny Club Awakens (followed by Rogue One, infinitely better)

Bull v Shame (followed by Justice League, which hopefully is infinitely better)
    Moving on to the next question:
    Your favourite un-produced movie: Which film you like to see made? By who? Staring who? ...
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Property Of A Lady 2018

Starring:
    Timothy Dalton as 007
    Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter

Kate Beckinsale
    Helen Mirren
    Martin Freeman

Ralph Fiennes as M
    Naomie Harris as Moneypenny
    Ben Whishaw as Q

Director:
    Martin Campbell

Editor:
    Stuart Baird

Score:
    David Arnold

Theme Song:
    Alison Goldfrapp

Secondary End Titles Song:
    Calvin Harris Feat. Sia
    Sir, you have hit my soft spot. If only it were possible!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In a dream world, I'd love to see a pre-GE movie where Bond and Alec Trevelyan work alongside one another for a mission or two. Of course, they'd also share everything - absolutely everything.

To the victor go the spoils.
    DREDD 2
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Super Mario Bros 2.
    DREDD 2

I'm still holding out hopes that it'll see the light of day in the future. The last rumblings I heard were Karl Urban saying he'd love to do a sequel, even optioning it to be a Netflix Original or something.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    The November man 2.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Salt 2
    Kuifje 2 (Tin Tin 2)
    November Man 2
    The A-team 2

I expect Madagascar 4 go to Asian country, but it look there will return to America.
    For possible fifth movie then.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Property Of A Lady 2018

Starring:
    Timothy Dalton as 007
    Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter

Kate Beckinsale
    Helen Mirren
    Martin Freeman

Ralph Fiennes as M
    Naomie Harris as Moneypenny
    Ben Whishaw as Q

Director:
    Martin Campbell

Editor:
    Stuart Baird

Score:
    David Arnold

Theme Song:
    Alison Goldfrapp

Secondary End Titles Song:
    Calvin Harris Feat. Sia

I am salivating at the thought of that. I'm assuming the people have to be alive, otherwise I'd naturally put John Barry as composer
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,325
    I know the thread has moved on but thought it worth mentioning my awkward cinema experience. It was December 2015 and a new Star Wars film was showing - The Force Awakens. The anticipation was palpitating. But then ...

Mysteriously people were getting confused and even angry. Lots of people seemed to be claiming that people were sat in their seats. Come on guys just sit where you've been allocated. All of a sudden this is happening more and more. But the adverts and trailers start, it'll all settle down. Not so. It continues until the adverts have to stop amidst people sitting in aisles. A member of staff relates the dreaded info that they've double booked seats. But one guy has called the police because he can't get to his seat and we have to wait for the police to arrive.

The boys in blue duly arrive. After staring at the same stuck image for eternity we are finally allowed to watch The Force Awakens!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,686
    Your favourite un-produced movie: Which film you like to see made? By who? Staring who? ...

A revenge flick, USA/Europe vs Asia. Denzel Washington + Liam Neeson + Tom Cruise + Keanu Reeves teaming up against Iko Uwais + Donnie Yen + Tony Jaa + Lee Byung-Hun.
    Another question: Your favourite Ancient Rome epic?
    Off the top of my head, I'd have to go with 'Quo Vadis' (1951).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Moving on to the next question:

I actually have an idea (and a brief cast) for a film i'd like to see made, but I know that I am going to catch a lot of flack from hardcore cinephiles/Hitchcock fans...

Psycho Sisters

A reimagining of Psycho, with the centre role split in two (the sisters), and a darkly comic edge.

The Sisters: Jena Malone & Mischa Barton
    The Sherrif: Jeffrey Combs
    The Motel Guests: Katherine Isabelle, Jerry O'Connell, Crystal Lowe
    Written, Produced, & Directed By: Jen & Sylvia Soska
    GLADIATOR
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum.
    Gladiator i think