Well here comes the UK General Election!

edited April 2017 in General Discussion Posts: 4,599
Should be pretty one sided and IMHO will see the end of Corbyn as Labour will get hammered. Good call from May, perfect timing.

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Absolutely brilliant move from PM May.

A win-win situation. If there will be indeed a General Election she will be much stronger afterwards and the Exit-from-Brexit people are silenced.

If the opposition will not let a General Election happen, they will be weakened somewhat and will no longer be able to oppose May in her path to Brexit.

Well done Theresa May, she is certainly the best thing happening to the UK since ages.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    May is indeed a savvy political operator, particularly in comparison to her predecessor. A return to form.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Massive victory for May. Possibly largest majority for the Conservatives in history, I predict.
    Massive victory for May. Possibly largest majority for the Conservatives in history, I predict.

Exactly, that's why I am almost certain the opposition will prevent new elections. There has to be a two third vote in the parliament. We'll see.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,449
    Note: this is a Bond forum. We have several election threads. Me no like.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    At least it's about the British General Election :wink: and James Bond certainly is British.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Hopefully the campaign will be less divisive than the BREXIT one. If it serves to ultimately unify the populace around a single cause, vision and identity (big if!) then it's a good thing.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Finally someone is doing the decent thing and putting Jeremy Corbyn out of all our miseries. Hardly something to rejoice about though that we are now having general elections with the same frequency as Greece and Italy.

The Tories cant fail to win given the paucity of opposition: Labour a laughing stock, UKIP now redundant and Libs led by a raving God botherer.

Sturgeon got to be kicking herself that her party has such a narrow focus as she'd stand a decent chance of winning as the only tenable opposition if she went nationwide.

But a government that has no opposition to hold it to account is never a good thing so I cant really see this as good for anyone but the Tories.
    The British can think in other terms than only Brexit.

The opposition will of course try to make the election about Brexit, they will grasp the last possible straw. But they will fail miserably.

May has already won big time just by announcing it. And all the horror scenarios painted in pitch black by the Remainers have not happened yet or will happen.
    The voting population has long realised that.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    But a government that has no opposition to hold it to account is never a good thing so I cant really see this as good for anyone but the Tories.
    That's quite true. I think it may be a practical necessity however, as the UK attempts to navigate uncharted waters in the next few years, which will be quite difficult to do in itself without a strong opposition breathing down the government's neck. Certain public services could potentially be at risk as a leaner UK emerges post-BREXIT, which favours the Tories.
    Coincidentally I'm just reading Forsyth's The Fourth Protocol where the PM calls a snap election and the KGB plan to detonate a nuclear bomb on a yank airbase and make it look like an accident (why EON didnt sue Frederick for plagiarism is a mystery) so the population would swing to the left and vote for a pro nuclear disarmament Labour party which they would control. I wouldnt put it past Putin to try it to be fair!!

Although the difference between now and the 80's that even with Kinnock Labour were considerably more electable than hapless old Jezza.
    I know it won't happen but I would like to see N Sturgeon as Leader of the Opposition, she would do a good job IMHO
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I hope that that left wing prick Jeremy Corbyn is destroyed by the Tories!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,144
    Here We Go Again !.... #Brenda.

Hopefully.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Here We Go Again !....

Bring it on!
    suavejmf wrote: »

Hopefully.

That's a certainty.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Hopefully.

That's a certainty.

I am convinced of it too. It's what the country needs now.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Jeremy is in a bubble if he thinks the public has belief in him as a leader.

Labour figures are saying that they are going to win it but you can hear the lack of conviction in their voices.
    Be interesting if Labour turned it on its head and sacked Jezza tomorrow and went and paid David Milliband whatever he wanted to lead them. Then Teresa would be sweating.

He's practically a Communist.
    Be interesting if Labour turned it on its head and sacked Jezza tomorrow and went and paid David Milliband whatever he wanted to lead them. Then Teresa would be sweating.

Impossible though before the General Election, given the timescale.
    Masterstroke by the PM, have to say I agreed whole heartedly with her reasons to call an election. Bluff called on Labour, Lib Dems, and the SNP.
    Not sure if its a masterstroke, its just common sense really but it does show bottle,
    anyone remember when Gordon Brown took over from Blair? He should have called an election then but bottled it and we all know what happened.
    patb wrote: »
    Not sure if its a masterstroke, its just common sense really but it does show bottle,
    anyone remember when Gordon Brown took over from Blair? He should have called an election then but bottled it and we all know what happened.
    I'm sure that played into her thinking, at least in part. Any leader needs a mandate from the people and the sooner they get one, the better their tenure will eventually be.
    I wish someone like May was in charge of Europe (Germany).
    edited July 2022 Posts: 17,728
    I wish someone like May was in charge of Europe (Germany).

Me too. We really should be the Masters of Europe considering we helped to liberate it. Instead, all of the defeated powers tell us Brits what to do instead. It's just replacing one form of tyranny with another. And some wonder why we voted to leave the glorious EU! Small wonder!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Masterstroke by the PM, have to say I agreed whole heartedly with her reasons to call an election. Bluff called on Labour, Lib Dems, and the SNP.

She isn't exactly facing a clash of the titans.
    vzok wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

She isn't exactly facing a clash of the titans.

Oh I am aware of that, just with all the bluster from the other parties stirring the pot with regards to the Brexit process have now gotta step up!