No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @jake24, time to change the headline.
    Did I miss something?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is Indiana Jones day here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Let's move on to facts, folks.

Like Jeffrey Wright tweeting a pic of himself from ten years ago suddenly igniting 5 pages of discussion, champagne uncorking, and a new headline? ;)

Literally nothing in this thread is facts. It is pure, unadulterated, unmitigated speculation. 700+ pages of it. Do we know anything at all about Bond 25 at this point, apart from P&W being announced by Baz (which even some have refused to believe)?
    bondjames wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, we actually don't have any knowledge or information on B25 from the people who make these films. Consequently, if we're being pedantic, the most pertinent comment on this thread was captured on the very first page, in the 2nd post which I requote below.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Who says there will even be a Bond 25 ;)

Nah, course there will :P

I think we can all agree that the above is accurate. The rest is all varying degree of conjecture, speculation and opinion. In lieu of hard facts, I'm all for the open discussion as I've said before, and don't discriminate between comments & opinions which are more in line with my own thinking, and those which aren't.

Precisely this.

The Wright post has a lot more ammunition to it than a story from a website specializing in fake news, so yes.

As for facts, a lot of what is in here will turn out to be fact at a later date. Many people's predictions or views on the production will be revealed to be on the money once the film is out and the production's events are made known. Everyone that said Dan would be back will be right, as would those who said the story of Bond 25 would continue from SP, etc.

Either way, we should always be striving to find truth, instead of purporting obvious bullshit at every turn.
  • Let's move on to facts, folks.

Like Jeffrey Wright tweeting a pic of himself from ten years ago suddenly igniting 5 pages of discussion, champagne uncorking, and a new headline? ;)

Literally nothing in this thread is facts. It is pure, unadulterated, unmitigated speculation. 700+ pages of it. Do we know anything at all about Bond 25 at this point, apart from P&W being announced by Baz (which even some have refused to believe)?
    bondjames wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, we actually don't have any knowledge or information on B25 from the people who make these films. Consequently, if we're being pedantic, the most pertinent comment on this thread was captured on the very first page, in the 2nd post which I requote below.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Who says there will even be a Bond 25 ;)

Nah, course there will :P

I think we can all agree that the above is accurate. The rest is all varying degree of conjecture, speculation and opinion. In lieu of hard facts, I'm all for the open discussion as I've said before, and don't discriminate between comments & opinions which are more in line with my own thinking, and those which aren't.

Precisely this.

The Wright post has a lot more ammunition to it than a story from a website specializing in fake news, so yes.

As for facts, a lot of what is in here will turn out to be fact at a later date. Many people's predictions or views on the production will be revealed to be on the money once the film is out and the production's events are made known. Everyone that said Dan would be back will be right, as would those who said the story of Bond 25 would continue from SP, etc.

Either way, we should always be striving to find truth, instead of purporting obvious bullshit at every turn.

I'm all for rampant speculation: Oyelowo smiles and whispers on the airwaves and German helicopter purchases. It's fun. It's a way to keep engaged while we await the inevitable—the 20/20 that disproves or validates the months upon months of chatter.

Craig may turn out to be Bond again, thus validating the controversial Oyelowo smile as fact. Jeffrey Wright may turn out to be Felix again, thus validating an obscure tweet as fact. Sort of, in both cases. Or if not quite as "facts" then as something that may have had some grain of truth in it.

But at the moment, none of these are facts. It's all speculation, and who is to police what speculation is futurefact-worthy and what is not? (Rhetorical question: the mods and jake24, quite obviously, and I'd say this thread has received a healthy girth for varying degrees of conjecture to date.)

Anyway, we were discussing Indiana Jones I believe...? ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I find Temple to be rather cheesy.

I can't imagine how anyone would think Temple even approached the level of artistry that we see in Raiders, I prefer Crusade to TOD but the first film ticked all the boxes and was paced to perfection that any film that followed was going to playing catch up.

This wasn't a case of Star Wars where Empire upped the game and took the saga to new heights or Dark Knight raising the bar over Batman Begins, Indiana Jones hit it's peak from the start and is never likely to be topped.

I'd love to see a Bond film that reaches those heights.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I could never get into Raiders. Temple has grown on me but my favourite remains Last Crusade. It's the most Bondian of them all imho (perhaps on account of King Sean & Doody) and that's just what I like.
    Last Crusade is my favorite of all the Indiana Jones movies, and is also one of my all-time favorite movies (probably Top 10). Absolutely brilliant entertainment IMO; the ultimate adventure flick. Raiders is awesome too, and holds my second place. Temple of Doom is the most flawed of the originals, but still very fun and entertaining overall. Kingdom is the only one I don't really care for.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I can see where this conversation is leading, so let's drop Indy and revert back to B25.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I find Temple to be rather cheesy.

I can't imagine how anyone would think Temple even approached the level of artistry that we see in Raiders, I prefer Crusade to TOD but the first film ticked all the boxes and was paced to perfection that any film that followed was going to playing catch up.

This wasn't a case of Star Wars where Empire upped the game and took the saga to new heights or Dark Knight raising the bar over Batman Begins, Indiana Jones hit it's peak from the start and is never likely to be topped.

I'd love to see a Bond film that reaches those heights.

I don't want to get off topic here, so I'll just say that Short Round's presence basically shoots down any chances TOD had of being on the same level as Raiders or Last Crusade. Not a big Indie guy, but it's clear that the middle film was very cheesy and tonally confused on the whole because of Short Round and the wackiness of Willie Scott.
    TOD is garbage but Raiders and Crusade are brilliant
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Crusade is great fun but to put it on the same level as Raiders???

Crusade is guilty of turning Marcus Brody into a buffoon, the chemistry between Ford & Connery is the real prize.

Raiders though is Ford all the way, great supporting cast and the best action set pieces in cinema history as well as a great script but Ford has never been better, it's like watching Connery in FRWL.

I can't see how either sequel could compare to that.

It's like saying Godfather 3 is my favourite of the trilogy.
    I think Indiana Jones has his own thread peeps,this is risking a shut down of this thread !
    Raiders is with zero doubt the best. Not only the best Indy, but possibly the best action film of all time. I like TOD a lot however, consider it on about the same level as TLC.
    For the second time, please take it to the proper thread.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Love how some people talk about another franchise in this thread.
    I bet they kill Madeleine in the opening scene of b25
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Getafix wrote: »
    I bet they kill Madeleine in the opening scene of b25

Would they go such an obvious route? Yeah, I know...
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Or maybe they kill Bond in the pts Sean Connery style
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Writers Guild Urges Members to Support Strike Authorization Via Video
    https://variety.com/2017/film/news/writers-guild-strike-authorization-video-1202030136/
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

And the whole movie will focus on Madeleine as the main character. Wouldn't a James Bond-less movie be an ingenious thing to do?
    What about Bond-less, Tanner, M, Moneypenny-less Bond 25?

Have only Jeffrey Wright's Felix.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,969
    Walecs wrote: »

And the whole movie will focus on Madeleine as the main character. Wouldn't a James Bond-less movie be an ingenious thing to do?

I have always thought another Bond-less PTS would be a great idea. I like how the early Moore era set the stage for the adventure before Bond makes his entrance.

Regarding this writers strike issue, I heard they were asking for 3 times what was offered initially. It doesn't seem like an agreement will be reached without considerable compromise from both ends of the negotiating table. It's unclear what sort of impact a strike would have on Bond, but it can't be said to help the situation. Let's hope nothing else crops up to add to this pickle.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    How about we just ignore Madeline and maybe SP as a whole next time around
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nah.

People really need to get an idea such as this out of their heads. There is no way an era that was built and run on continuity is just going to wipe the last film from its memory, especially when that film ended with Bond turning away from his old life. It's going to be addressed; it's unavoidable at this point.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah and I for one don't mind. They set up something interesting which, despite its flaws, could, in the hands of capable screenwriters, result in a superb film, a film that doesn't need a lot of story building but can kick into gears all at once. I'm not saying we need James Bond the soap series, but with conflicts already existing before the gun barrel sequence so to speak, we might reach impressive heights early on.

People really need to get an idea such as this out of their heads. There is no way an era that was built and run on continuity is just going to wipe the last film from its memory, especially when that film ended with Bond turning away from his old life. It's going to be addressed; it's unavoidable at this point.
    Why? QoS was ignored completely.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not in Spectre.
  • boldfinger wrote: »

Why? QoS was ignored completely.

That's actually just what came to my mind. SF picked up from QOS with no mention of Quantum or White or Vesper or Bond officially "returning to service." What's more, SF appeared to simply leap over years' worth of Bond's career. Who's to say B25 won't do the same, especially if there's a new director or if P&W are writing for a TBD Bond actor (both terms pure speculation)?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I personally find it quite unlikely that EON can incorporate the Madeline/Bond/Blofeld 'love and hate' triangle in a manner which I will find satisfactory. It's more likely they'll do it in a manner which I will find annoying. Still, there is a chance that they could surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath. If this group is back, I'll watch it of course, but will probably save my enthusiasm for other franchises and for B26 when there will be an inevitable and much welcome (from my perspective at least) changing of the guard.