Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Monty Norman will still get money when the Bond theme is used I would think, even if a couple of Bars are used.

Edited: Wikipedia states that Norman collected around £600,000 in royalties between the years 1976 and 1999 for the use of the theme since Dr. No
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They should pay for that instead of getting bespoke Aston Martin cars made for them that's not going to be used outside the Bond films. Look at the DB10. Illegal to drive it on the road and pretty much useless, yet from what I understand, they'll be following the same path for the next film and the DB10 won't appear. Why waste money like that and waste it on real-life big explosions when you can achieve that with visual effects? They should perhaps spend more money on the use of The James Bond Theme instead.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Precisely. I miss the full Bond theme so badly. I'm sick of it being saved for the end credits when I'm getting up to leave.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That makes two of us!
    If they use the Bond theme do EON have to pay, or does it come out of the composer's cut?
    Would anyone out there have a clean version of "A Car in the Mirror" from Goldfinger?
    It's a nice cue , but any versions i have hear are full of SFX.
    Stumbled on this cover, first time I have heard it...

• Yeah, that's a pretty cool rendition. Björk is no Nancy Sinatra...still, she did well. This version was produced by David Arnold for Shaken & Stirred. Björk pulled the song from the album because she wasn't fully happy with it. She said she'd learned you should only cover bad songs, not great songs, because you'll never live up to the original.
    Yeah, that's a pretty cool rendition. Björk is no Nancy Sinatra...still, she did well. This version was produced by David Arnold for Shaken & Stirred. Björk pulled the song from the album because she wasn't fully happy with it. She said she'd learned you should only cover bad songs, not great songs, because you'll never live up to the original.

Interesting just reading through the Shaken and Stirred track list on my PC as I type, I was double checking if it was a track on the Album that I had forgotten about. The same could be said of films don't remake a Classic, I think Björk did the track Justice.
    Great stuff @vzok. You are a master at what you do.
    Murdock wrote: »

You are too kind.
    vzok wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

You are too kind.

I am most sincere. :) Have you ever attempted to isolate the Free fall Bond theme arrangement from Moonraker?
    I haven't ever looked at that one, probably because there are a couple of recordings of it already. I'd guess if I did have a try at Freefall the end result would not be as good as those recordings.
    You should totally give it a try. Fortunately there isn't a lot of sound during that scene so I think you could pull off some magic. :D
    I'll see what I can do.
    Splendid. I can't wait. :)
    Here it is....

@vzok, you are doing the work of Bond music gods! Thank you! :-bd
    That was terrific, the most clean version of the theme yet!
    Cheer gents.

If only I had an orchestra, musical expertise and money......
    We can do it with virtual instruments (VSTs). I've got a MIDI transcript of this cue and several others, and it's my hope to get my hands on enough VSTs and learn to use them to recreate Bond music in the highest, most realistic possible quality. I've got a few VSTs but am missing some really punchy brass. Also, it takes plenty of skill to use these things, and I'm just beginning to get familiar with the Reaper DAW.

I'd happily cooperate with someone on this if they had the skills and the instrument libraries (especially the brass!). My transcripts are messy and lacking in articulations because my music knowledge isn't too great, but I'm sure in terms of instruments and notes, they are fairly accurate.

Here's my own Freefall MIDI (in MP3 format because the MIDI doesn't play right when it has too many tracks): filedropper.com/freefallmidi
    Thanks Murdock for "Silva's Capture" from Skyfall. Is there a clean rip available for the track "Depleted Uranium Bullets", also from Skyfall ? This is about the only cue missing
    to complete Newman's score. Thanks again for all the unreleased music.
    You're welcome @agrub, unfortunately those are the only rips of those two tracks I have available. If I acquire better rips in the future I will post theme here.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Someone uploaded the love scene from SPECTRE, which includes Thomas Newman's beautiful orchestral arrangement of Writing's on the Wall:

Here's a recreated one, clean of rattling sounds and agitated breaths.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Nice job, @mattjoes . You should head to https://solmire.com/ and convert it to MP3 to give it an orchestral sound.
    Thank you, sir. Actually, I'm pretty sure the soundfont I used is available in solmire, so you could say I already used that site ;)

At any rate, my goal is to eventually aim for a much more realistic, and satisfying, orchestral sound.
    I use a different mix of soundfonts. I mainly use Squidfont Orchestral and SGM-V2.01. Adding in reverb helps blend it and sound more realistic.
    I just had a listen at Squidfont... pretty damn good!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I just had a listen at Squidfont... pretty damn good!

It's one of the best orchestral soundfonts I know of. :)