'More of a problem eliminator ' : Licence to Kill Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    OP is far to comedic for me. FYEO & TLD are better IMO.
    I cant believe I was reading another thread a minute ago,and in it,a member stated that Moore would have been better than Dalton in LTK !!!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I cant believe I was reading another thread a minute ago,and in it,a member stated that Moore would have been better than Dalton in LTK !!!

At least Moore wouldn't have been accused of 'trying too hard...!'
    ;)

At least Moore wouldn't have been accused of 'trying too hard...!'
    ;)

Hahaha good point !!

:-j
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    One for another thread maybe, but I'd liked to have seen how Moore coped with a tough serious Bond film.

I know he had some serious stuff in TMWTGG and FYEO which he was great in, but a whole film would have been very interesting to see.
    Just before we head back on topic,i could see Moore in a serious film aka DN ..I think he would be fine in that.

But the tough films of LTK and QOS ,no,he isn't that kind of actor.
  • A really good Bond film, just out of my top ten.

This movie suffers a bit because some of the action sequences are not up to par with what was being made by other action pictures of the time, but still a really good story.
    Most of the action scenes I think are good. The bar fight (if you can call that an "action sequence" is the weakest one as its so cheesy). The tanker climax still looks impressive.

The opening gunfight in the PTS I think could have been cut down a bit though.
    The gunbarrel is excellent and reflects the mood of the film with the music.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    One thing that always puzzles me about the tanker fight between DaltonBond and Sanchez,is that when Bond swings around with his legs to kick Sanchez,who is between the tanker's tank and cabin and about to cut the cable in error,Sanchez looks up with a great big smile on his face,not an evil smile but a wide beaming smile.

He has just lost everything so it seems an odd thing to do..any reason anyone can think of ?!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The gunbarrel is excellent and reflects the mood of the film with the music.

agree.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The plot is good and I love how Bond destroys Sanchez's gang from within. Dalton is better here and more comfortable with the character. I have a problem with the way the film was shot. It doesn't look like a Bond film. Cubby used to say you put the money on the screen. This film for me feels like the money went elsewhere and the result is a very pedestrian Bond film. It would never be in my top 10 or even top 15. A shame because there was potential.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    thedove wrote: »
    The plot is good and I love how Bond destroys Sanchez's gang from within. Dalton is better here and more comfortable with the character. I have a problem with the way the film was shot. It doesn't look like a Bond film. Cubby used to say you put the money on the screen. This film for me feels like the money went elsewhere and the result is a very pedestrian Bond film. It would never be in my top 10 or even top 15. A shame because there was potential.

I honestly think that's just Glen's whole style really.
    LTK is great, I've always ranked this higher than TLD. TLD drags with the Afghanistan stuff and the climax and bad guys are a bit poor.

LTK never drags for me, Dalton is great and Sanchez is a top villain.
    LTK is great, I've always ranked this higher than TLD. TLD drags with the Afghanistan stuff and the climax and bad guys are a bit poor.

Spot on...and the 'Bond girls' in LTK are sexy as hell !!

Spot on...and the 'Bond girls' in LTK are sexy as hell !!

+1.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 5,131

+1.

Dalton's Bond is for those who like Bond with an edge, Fleming's troubled Bond, or just flat-out good acting. It's not for those who prefer Bond to be a flippant chick-ogler who prefers making double-entendres to doing any real work, confident he'll win because he's read the end of the script (Brosnan). And this is his best of an all-too-short outing.

+1.

Dalton's Bond is for those who like Bond with an edge, Fleming's troubled Bond, or just flat-out good acting. It's not for those who prefer Bond to be a flippant chick-ogler who prefers making double-entendres to doing any real work, confident he'll win because he's read the end of the script (Brosnan). And this is his best of an all-too-short outing.

Well to be fair I am a big Moore fan, at which you could obviously aim these things but I enjoy Dalton as the other side of the coin.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    In the controversial thread there seem to be many who don't quite like LTK. Even to such an extend I, a staunch Daltonator, started to doubt my love for it. Glad this thread kept me on the right track. Still top 10 for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Stay strong @GoldenGun.

s-l225.jpg
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    In the controversial thread there seem to be many who don't quite like LTK. Even to such an extend I, a staunch Daltonator, started to doubt my love for it. Glad this thread kept me on the right track. Still top 10 for me.

Easily top 10 material.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Its #10 on my list,but,as you can see, simply because i created this Appreciation thread,it will never be outside my top 10...it will move up soon,usually hovers between 7-9th place.
    Harsh Barry, harsh.
    Harsh Barry, harsh.

Hahaha,it has been #4 before so who knows ? the only way is up,matey !

7th or 8th for me always.
    Thats exactly the same as me....its the original Bond revenge film...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It would probably rank around 9 or 10 for me, but I've yet to do a recent numbering.
    You should do one Brady,i would be interested to see it.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @barryt007, I am doing a current ranking for a Bondathon, it's just that I need to add in the Moore films and Brosnan ones after watching them to get a true sense of where LTK would fit. Right now there's only about 8 films on the list, so it's skewed. But the list I did 6 months ago had LTK in the 10-9 position.
    Aaaah gotcha....makes sense..