The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

edited April 2019 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
Today is the day Britain starts to get the GREAT back in its name.

The people have spoken,the government have reacted,we will have a slide for a time,but then our rules,our courts,no EU fees,our own decisions on so called 'terrorists' and murderers ,will be back in the hands of this great country.

Any views are fine,good or bad,this is a neutral thread,despite my ramblings above....comments ?

Comments

Good luck
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Were you Leave or Remain, @barryt007?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Congrats. :-) Don't float too far away from us. ;-)
    Were you Leave or Remain, @barryt007?

I was Leave ,my friend x it was becoming a dictatorship and the bailouts of Greece etc was crippling.

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    Happy Brexit day! The beginning of a glorious new chapter in British history. We won't forget our friends across Europe, but we as a nation decided we didn't want to continue under the control of Brussels.
    I'm proud Brexiteer and am even more determined now than I was on referendum day.
    Wonderful. You never were a true EU-member since your desperate call (referendum) in the 1970's to become a member, mostly due to dire domestic economic and financial circumstances. Good luck. Bye!
    Wonderful. You never were a true EU-member since your desperate call (referendum) in the 1970's to become a member, mostly due to dire domestic economic and financial circumstances. Good luck. Bye!

No ,we never were,and never will be.
    Au revoir and ciao and gia sou EU.
    Enjoy your fees,bailouts and lack of individual control of your Governments and criminal prosecutions etc.

Adieu !

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

For some reason, I read that with Patrick Allen's voice in my head.

"Good luck on civvy street, Palmer. You never were the proper military type."
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    I'm hugely upset about Brexit. I think the EU is a beacon of light in a dangerous world, and the UK government have decided to leave under dubious circumstances (an advisory referendum taken as gospel; a Leave campaign that made promises it couldn't keep, or were downright lies; smear campaigns by the right-wing press).

For me, it's step backwards. It will come back to haunt the UK, and I suspect in 10 years' time there will be voices clamouring to rejoin. I hope so - mostly because my children might then get the opportunity to live and work freely across Europe - something that Theresa May is now in the process of denying them.

I wouldn't surprised if some years down the line we'll see Putin as the mastermind behind Brexit, with Farage, Banks, Dacre, etc. as his puppets. All we're missing is a blunt instrument to expose the plot and save the world - do we know anyone like that? ;)

I'm hugely upset about Brexit. I think the EU is a beacon of light in a dangerous world, and the UK government have decided to leave under dubious circumstances (an advisory referendum taken as gospel; a Leave campaign that made promises it couldn't keep, or were downright lies; smear campaigns by the right-wing press).

For me, it's step backwards. It will come back to haunt the UK, and I suspect in 10 years' time there will be voices clamouring to rejoin. I hope so - mostly because my children might then get the opportunity to live and work freely across Europe - something that Theresa May is now in the process of denying them.

I wouldn't surprised if some years down the line we'll see Putin as the mastermind behind Brexit, with Farage, Banks, Dacre, etc. as his puppets. All we're missing is a blunt instrument to expose the plot and save the world - do we know anyone like that? ;)

It wasn't an 'advisory' referendum. Brexit is wonderful.

Blimey,for a first post that's a pretty negative one..you want the UK to suffer for 10 years on behalf of your children ?

Putin behind Brexit ?

Dear oh dear....

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Also, would be too difficult to get a visa if needed to work in Europe? Would that be such a problem if that was an outcome, really?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Enjoy your fees,bailouts and lack of individual control of your Governments and criminal prosecutions etc.

Adieu !

Just wait for the long-term consequences. I think those 51% of the British were fools, and never had a clue about the long-term consequences. I wish you luck though.

Adieu !

Just wait for the long-term consequences. I think those 51% of the British were fools, and never had a clue about the long-term consequences. I wish you luck though.

Thanks! So, I'm a fool ...
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339

Adieu !

Well you are entitled to your opinions but I don't appreciate being called a 'fool'.
    It doesn't affect your country anyway...or does it long term.
    It seems there are a lot of nervous Europeans out there today...interesting.

Gustav, please stop calling people 'fools' just because they chose to exercise their democratic rights in a manner which doesn't suit your own agenda. Contrary to what you believe, we were tuned in to the long term consequences of remaining within the EU, and that's why we voted to leave!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,119

Adieu !

Well you are entitled to your opinions but I don't appreciate being called a 'fool'.

But I do think they were fools. It's not nice to hear, but I sincerely believe that. I find the sound of 'fools' by the way less harsh than other words that I would not utter in here (policy). Perhaps I can rephrase and say that those 51% to me voted for the 'foolish YES option'? Is that better? Anyway, I have my democratic opinion too. Most people who voted 'YES' voted because of a lot of past emotional fury and resentment and not because of optimistic long-term future solutions.

And make no mistake, in many ways PM May doesn't even have real solutions now the EU-membership is over. In your country there still is massive uncertainty, because PM May can not say to you at this very moment that all of those British traders will get a Norwegian style trade deal. That has yet to be negotiated. If you think Brexit is the final solution then, then by no means.......I find that a foolish notion.

I am actually glad that because of the very same democracy, the green pro-EU vote in The Netherlands has grown substantially after the Dutch Parliament Elections. Obviously people will use the word 'foolish' for that too now. But the world is getting smaller, our resources are depleting, we are craving for bigger international solutions for the immigration problem, and regardless what Europe will do, other nations on this planet continue trading as life depends on it. I am happy The Netherlands opted for international orientation instead of protectionism. The ordinary people in the end will always be the losers.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,053
    The EU a beacon of light? Try replacing the 'ligh' with 'shy' and you're nearer the mark!
    In ten years time, when people see what is happening in a federalised Europe, they will be glad that we removed ourselves.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339

Adieu !

But I do think they were fools. It's not nice to hear, but I sincerely believe that. Time will tell you that.

Bullshit...and show some respect for the people in my country who voted,including me,just because it doesn't suit you BEUROcrats .

Get ready with your fees and bailouts and your 'powerful' EU army...pathetic.
    You lot cant decide on what brand of tea to have let alone decide which country will lead an EU army apart from Brussels.

(Like Brussels Sprouts - they give you bad wind.)

Adieu !

But I do think they were fools. It's not nice to hear, but I sincerely believe that. I find the sound of 'fools' by the way less harsh than other words that I would not utter in here (policy). Perhaps I can rephrase and say that those 51% to me voted for the 'foolish YES option'? Is that better? Anyway, I have my democratic opinion too. Most people who voted 'YES' voted because of a lot of past emotional fury and resentment and not because of optimistic long-term future solutions.

And make no mistake, in many ways PM May doesn't even have real solutions now the EU-membership is over. In your country there still is massive uncertainty, because PM May can not say to you at this very moment that all of those British traders will get a Norwegian style trade deal. That has yet to be negotiated. If you think Brexit is the final solution then, then by no means.......I find that a foolish notion.

I am actually glad that because of the very same democracy, the green pro-EU vote in The Netherlands has grown substantially after the Dutch Parliament Elections. Obviously people will use the word 'foolish' for that too now. But the world is getting smaller, our resources are depleting, we are craving for bigger international solutions for the immigration problem, and regardless what Europe will do, other nations on this planet continue trading as life depends on it. I am happy The Netherlands opted for international orientation instead of protectionism. The ordinary people in the end will always be the losers.

I used to be pro-EU, then I realised what a fool I had been. Just saying.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We can all remain unified in so many ways, no matter what signatures are put where. Brexit is a fact and also a message. The British people said no; democracy demands that we respect that and so I shall. My British friends are ultimately still my friends, no matter how our countries' borders are drawn on the political map. :-)
  • RC7RC7
    Shit happens.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shit happens.

To quote Davina McCall, 'No swearing'.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK

Blimey,for a first post that's a pretty negative one..you want the UK to suffer for 10 years on behalf of your children ?

Putin behind Brexit ?

Dear oh dear....

I feel nothing but negative about it. Personally, I'd prefer the UK not to suffer, but I think Brexit is an ill-informed decision that will damage the country long-term. (I hope it won't, of course.)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It's my view that there won't be an EU (at least not in its current form) to clamour to rejoin in 10 years time. The EU will either be completely finished by then or it will be a few countries locked in an even tighter embrace, with the peripherals discarded by the wayside. The current status quo is untenable. Many just don't see it yet.

For the UK, it was the right strategic call. I don't think it's the right call for all EU nations, but the UK is somewhat unique and perfectly positioned (as I indicated prior to the vote) to capitalize on massive shifts occurring globally due to its historic reach. Language, culture, & intellectual gravitas all play a part. These are differentiable attributes that must be nurtured in the years ahead.

Having said that, Brexit will have serious consequences for certain industries, most notably the financial sector. I expect it to contract as a % of the UK economy over the next decade, and at least in my view, that's a good thing. There will be inevitable job losses in this sector, and there will be corporate under investment on account of uncertainty over the next two years. All this is part of a necessary rebalancing.

If I was May, I would be looking to places like Singapore, Dubai, and Hong Kong for inspiration. It's critical that the UK not try to be all things to all people now, but rather focus strategically on areas of comparative expertise and value for the world. It must capitalize on its geographic and cultural advantage as a go-between the Americas and Europe/Asia. The Commonwealth should be revived as well, even if in a different way.

There are several opportunities ahead. The UK must seize the moment, be bold and be confident. It's a time for strong leadership. Carve a distinguishable niche and play to win. The waters will be stormy in the near term, but with sound navigation, a bright future lies ahead.

Rule Britannia!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Even though I voted Brexit I certainly don't consider today a cause for celebration. Like any divorce it represents failure on both sides.

@Gustav can peddle his blinkered pro Euro propaganda if he wants but he ought to be asking himself why, if the status quo is so halcyon, the third most populous nation (with a population totalling more than the bottom 15 member states combined) has just voted to up and leave the party?

Clearly something is rotten in the state of Denmark (that's a quote by the way not a slight at our Danish brethren) for the UK to make this decision.

Merkel deciding immigration policy for the whole continent by declaring Europe open to all and sundry?
    Grey men like Juncker or Tusk, who are the human embodiment of watching paint dry, and have reached their lofty position driving the gravy train by extremely convoluted 'democratic' means?
    The whole junket pissing millions of your (and more importantly my) money down the drain every month to trek to Strasbourg and back just to vote?
    The Greeks like an anvil round all our necks?

Is the man who opts to separate himself from this farce the fool or is it actually the man who thinks it is all a roaring success?

And make no mistake, in many ways PM May doesn't even have real solutions

And if you think all your beloved Eurocrats are bristling with a magic Sport Billy bag full of solutions you really are a fool. If I'm to be driven into the rocks by inept, self serving politicians I'd sooner they were ones I could kick out every 5 years rather than have them imposed upon me from above.

So let's just get on with it and stop worrying. We're Britain aren't we for Christ's sake. This is what we do. We don't riot or have a military coup we just whinge a bit and then carry on as normal.

Well said Wizard..Bravo !!
    De Gaulle was right, that's all I'm saying. But after all, he was only following Churchill's words : "Between old Europe and the ocean, Great Britain will always choose the ocean". Now, one more step on the march to true independance : leave NATO, and close all the american military bases that are left in Great Britain.

Ah, who am I kidding : it will never happen.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice to see some movement at last :)>-
    Keep Calm and Get on with it !
    As Churchill once said: "A lie is halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
This discussion has been closed.