How "classic" is not shaving?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Actually, @DarthDimi, it seems the thread is more about people complaining that Craig isn't classic, thanks to him having a beard, so now we're onto just what makes a classic Bond, I guess.
    And how could Craig be classic? Classic is classic, nothing else. Craig's contemporary as each other Bond before him. Classic's not about aping the past, nor should it be. SF should focus on capturing the spirit and translate it to our day 'n age. Putting labels like classic and GF or Connery on the new flick just clutters up the thing with a lot of emo expectations. Most of them bound to be gutted.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,425
    echo wrote:
    This conversation is a little bit gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Let's face it, there's something more than a little bit gay about being a male Bond fan, isn't there?

Any way, I agree the stubble look is not good. Bond should be clean shaven. Look what happened with DUD. Bond and facial hair is a bad combo.
    Kennon wrote:
    And how could Craig be classic? Classic is classic, nothing else. Craig's contemporary as each other Bond before him. Classic's not about aping the past, nor should it be. SF should focus on capturing the spirit and translate it to our day 'n age. Putting labels like classic and GF or Connery on the new flick just clutters up the thing with a lot of emo expectations. Most of them bound to be gutted.

Exactly! Why dont fans just treat this film as any other rather then projecting their own wishes on to a film and come away disapointed.

They are setting themselves for a fall already.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Getafix wrote:
    echo wrote:
    This conversation is a little bit gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Let's face it, there's something more than a little bit gay about being a male Bond fan, isn't there?

Any way, I agree the stubble look is not good. Bond should be clean shaven. Look what happened with DUD. Bond and facial hair is a bad combo.

So as it happened once, it'll happen again?!
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,661
    Bond had stubble before Die Another Day. Sean Connery's Bond had stubble when he was captured by Goldfinger. He had to 'freshen up' in the airplane en route to Goldfinger's stud farm - so there is a precedent for this kind of look in a Bond film.

It's possible Bond was on a previous mission or captured and that's why he has a stubble in some scenes in Skyfall. The only problem is if the stubble looks white or grey. That's not the sort of look we want from James Bond!

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Kennon wrote:

i second this statement! great points sir.

• Unshaven not a problem. Full on beard somehow suits the villain better than Bond. I'd prefer Bond beardless as it doesn't quite fit with his playboy secret agent image if he looks like a homeless tramp.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2012 Posts: 5,921
    HASEROT wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'll give you the Miranda one lol.

In regard to Dalton who knows as the situation never presented himself. Though both him and Felix seemed to have forgotten about Della at the end of LTK.

seeing Felix chipper at the end was more bizarre though.

And Felix suggests that they should go fishing, of all things! Dumb line.
    HASEROT wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:
    And yeah, I'm tired of rogue Bond on personal missions (it's right there in the official log line 'M's past comes back to haunt her and Bond must' etc)

firstly... Bond hasn't gone rouge since DAD, and that was brief - if you count QOS, then your about as thick as a bag of garbage - because its been pretty well established that Bond was not rouge, and was acting on mission, but it only appeared to M like he was going off like a loose cannon

Exactly. That's the meaning of the last line: "I never left."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I actually like the stubbled look for Craig... what I hate, though, is his awful hairstyle he has once again.... it's really visible in the latest photos of him running..... for me Craig will forever be the Bond with the horrible hairstyle.... It wouldn't hurt for EON to let Craig to grow some hair on his head....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I actually like the stubbled look for Craig... what I hate, though, is his awful hairstyle he has once again.... it's really visible in the latest photos of him running..... for me Craig will forever be the Bond with the horrible hairstyle.... It wouldn't hurt for EON to let Craig to grow some hair on his head....

he did that for QOS... and you still hated it lol...

maybe he should just shave his head from now on lol.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    HASEROT wrote:

he did that for QOS... and you still hated it lol...

maybe he should just shave his head from now on lol.

erm........ his hair in QOS was too short, horrible too... I'd like the same hairstyle as in 'Dragon Tattoo', it was good in that film...

I have to agree with DC (I am shocked myself) but the monk hair in QOS was terrible. Fortunately it was just in some parts / too many though and yes Tattoo was good.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Who Cares?

The fact people are getting so hot and bothered about some facial hair goes to show that some of you should probably maybe get a life!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Let me get this straight, some people cite Bond having a beard in DAD and then go on to say, "look how that turned out" and yet, it's only once Bond leaves Cuba that the film goes to the crapper. So my question is, what has Bond's beard in DAD got to do with anything from an adverse perspective? Because it's universally accepted that at the very least the first third of the movie was good.
    Besides, one of my favourite scenes through out the series was seeing a war-torn, trampy looking bearded Bond transform into a slick, well groomed, impeccably dressed gent.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Kennon wrote:

He's got a damn good point.
    Getafix wrote:
    echo wrote:

DAD was bas because of the script not because Bond had facial hair.
    I altered the new image of Craig with the gun. On the right is the original version, on the left is Craig with longer hair and no stubble. See which one you prefer... ;)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=craigcomp1sharper1.jpg&res=medium
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    fanbond123 wrote:
    I altered the new image of Craig with the gun. On the right is the original version, on the left is Craig with longer hair and no stubble. See which one you prefer... ;)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=craigcomp1sharper1.jpg&res=medium

You've got far too much time on your hands!

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    That;s what you get if you give fans whant there want, a Bond movie not be sponserd by product placement.

critica-de-the-mother.jpg
    M: Bond, when is the last time you shaved.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    M_Balje wrote:
    That;s what you get if you give fans whant there want, a Bond movie not be sponserd by product placement.
    http://www.lashorasperdidas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/critica-de-the-mother.jpg
    M: Bond, when is the last time you shaved.

ROFL.
    (Off-Topic: That woman could be M, if Judi gets out.)

Well, there is a bad point about Bond being Beard... His charming style would go off.
    fanbond123 wrote:

He looks wrong on the left. Really weird, and I can't figure out why.
    If Craig isn't with a stubble thoughout the whole film I'm guessing there will be a reason explained why he has stubble for a bit of the film. I think that makes sense.
    I just think it's wrong. Bond is the kind guy who would never let himself go like that. May be twelve o-clock shadow but never 3 or 4 days of stubble. Never!
    Who cares. The damn film hasn't even been released yet and the fanboys are already moaning. Bond has let himself go to a degree before. Anyone remember the state Bond was in at the start of the YOLT novel?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,425
    What is the point of a Bond site like this if we can't make absurd observations about things that probably won't happen any way? Bain you need to lighten up a bit.

Any way, what is a fanboy EXACTLY, and aren't we all fanboys (and girls) by virtue of being on this site?

I know but its annoying. Its like the whole "omg, a blonde Bond" stuff back in 2006.
    But this is going on for 3 sides now without anything new being added. This is just repeating itsself now and it seems, like the stubble "hater" won't stop until everybody agrees, how terrible and not Bondish it is. :-S
    I won't stop until DC shaves!
    Getafix wrote:
    I won't stop until DC shaves!

You must have missed the recent pics, then.