The Equalizer:TV series & movie franchise.

edited September 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 820
It says The green light of the TV series which was portrayed by the late Edward Woodward. You orginally knew him in Callen. A spy TV series. The U.S based in New York a ex Secret Agent turn to Pravite Detective of the unuseral kind. The movie is not yet made but keeps on later on release. They Russel Crowe & James Bond Contender 1 time was rumered of the role but most unlikely. I can only think of Clive Owen or Transporter Jason Straham of the Role as Robert McCall.
He most carries the U.S made Walther PPK/S simlar to 007 gun. But he has alot of guns & Gadget too. You might say half Bond, Half Saint & little of Sherlock Holms. Edward Woodward played Sherlock Holms once. Later he replaced Gordon Jackson as Ci5 leader The New Professional as Jim Malone.

Comments

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I used to really like The Equalizer. Woodward was very good in the role. I think you'd need to cast someone with a few more cojones than Clive Owen or Statham in the role.

By the way, in Mission Impossible 4, Ethan Hunt uses a polaroid camera to take a photo of the view a security camera sees. This was lifted from an Equalizer episode.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I remember reading recently in 'Beyond Bond' by Wesley Britton, that according to scriptwriter Robert Short, originally The Equalizer was written for George Lazenby playing the ex Secret agent in a nod wink reference to his Bond history because producer Michael Sloan always liked George (which is why he appears in The Return Of The Man From UNCLE), but apparently the network wanted someone more well known and Woodwood was brought in to star. Just imagine a TV series based on George playing a barely disguised version of his Bond, what a missed opportunity.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 638
    I know Russell Crowe is apparently attached to the role, but I just think he is a bit too young. I can't see Owen or Statham in the role either. I can't really think of any big name actor who would fit the role right now. If this movie is ever gets made, I hope they are faithful right down to the black Jaguar. You may have noticed my avatar, yes, I am a big fan of the series.
    Quoting saunders: but apparently the network wanted someone more well known and Woodwood was brought in to star. Just imagine a TV series based on George playing a barely disguised version of his Bond, what a missed opportunity.
    Except Woodward was less known in the US than Lazenby was. I have heard that Lazenby was originally wanted for the role as well, but I have also seen an interview with Sloan who stated that he could only see Woodward in the role right from the start. Of course we know how stories tend to change based upon casting :)
    p=/discussion/comment/6594#Comment_6594">Quoting jaguar007:

Well I don't really favor Russel Crow althought it not confirmed but If not Clive Owen or Jason Straham I can't thing any else at the moment. By The way that a great AVater. I forget his trusty mobile is Jaguar XJ6 series 3 & later 4.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Quoting jaguar007: Except Woodward was less known in the US than Lazenby was. I have heard that
    Lazenby was originally wanted for the role as well, but I have also seen an
    interview with Sloan who stated that he could only see Woodward in the role
    right from the start. Of course we know how stories tend to change based upon
    casting :-)

I wonder if the real reason was that maybe the network felt that although George was better known, his fame was based on failure and a reputation for being difficult to work with.
    Although he might be losing Batman Christian Bale might be great for the role. There somthing good for him after his Batman role.
    Quoting Agent7F: Although he might be losing Batman Christian Bale might be great for the role. There somthing good for him after his Batman role.
    Waaaaayyyyy to young
    blockquote>Quoting jaguar007: Waaaaayyyyy to young

Well does he have to be older. Can be younger.
    The whole point of The Equalizer is that he is basically a retired agent. Woowdard was in his mid 50s when he made The Equalizer and whoever stars in the movie should be in the same age range. IF they are not going to be somewhat faithful to the source, what is the point of making the movie.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wish they'd release series 2, 3 and 4 on DVD. I think only the first is out in Region 1 anyway!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Same with region 2. Playback have only released series 1.
    I'd buy it except I see little point as the other three aren't out. Maybe they'll all be re-released soon? I hope so anyway.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Callan has had better luck with DVD releases, here. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, Wet Job was released on DVD by Network. And before that, they've released box sets of the b&w episodes and boxsets of the colour episodes. Yet The Equalizer has had only it's first series released.
    The problem with other seasons of The Equalizer on DVD has something to do with music rights. I don't know specifically what however.
    Wasn't it Stewart Copeland of The Police, that did the music?
    Quoting MajorDSmythe: Wasn't it Stewart Copeland of The Police, that did the music?
    Yes, Copeland wrote the theme music and scored many episodes. Many of the later episodes were scored by Jeff Seitz and a few other people. I'm not positive, but I don't think the legal issues preventing DVD and TV reruns have to do with the shows score, but that music rights have expired for much of the other music used in the show (ie, McCall walks into a nightclub, the songs they have playing in the background). I understand that some of the music on the season 1 DVD has been replaced from the original broadcast.
    According to Wikipedia (not a concrete source, I know), but the region 2 release has all the music intact. It's a shame too, as i've seen the first series, and was looking foward to picking up the second series DVD.
    Thanks for the information guys. Hopefully those music rights will be cleared soon. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 820
    IMDB suggest Timothy Dalton or Mel Gibson but I rather not those 2. Timothy Dalton we remember recently was one the last actor to star with Edward Woodward in Hot Fuzz. I guest not anyone who those to be contender to role. Late Edward Woodward also starred with 2 other Bonds Roger Moore in one of his Saint episodes & Pierce Brosnan in a movie.
    Dalton would be interesting, it would be like seeing Daltons Bond once he retired from MI6. Actually, i'd rather see Dalton as The Equalizer in a new series, not a film.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I loved the series. A shame it's not shown in syndication in the States.

I agree with Smythe, Dalton would be brilliant as McCall.
  • Haven't seen this in years, I did watch one or two of the original episodes when on but I often found the idea of one man trying to solve the problems of New York's low lifes or clean up the city as a one man army often difficult to swallow

Guiliani would prove more successful B-)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 820
    Well I read yesterday A Black actor might cast for the role as The Equalizer in Empire,Denzel Washington is considered.
    With constant rumours about a big screen outing the The Equalizer i was thinking that this idea should be scrubbed and instead the series should return as a TV Series with Timothy Dalton portraying Robert Mccall.

IMO he is the ONLY actor who could come close to giving the role the edge that the late,great Edward Woodward managed

I'd be all for Dalton, great idea actually! Haven't really ever thought about him but now you mention it he seems just the right man for the job.
    I think it's the wrong role for him to take now at nearly 70. Ten to 15 years ago, I think Dalton would have made a good McCall.
    Didn't think of his age, incredible he's already 66.

Well, if that was "only" a single film I think this Dalton could still do, nicely even. If the action is tailored to the facts of his age. TV series, that would mean the producers would aim at four to six years and I don't see them starting such a run with an actor already in his sixties, not even a fit and alert guy as Dalton.
    I think it's the wrong role for him to take now at nearly 70.
    But Dalton doesn't look like a man almost 70.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    I think it's the wrong role for him to take now at nearly 70.
    But Dalton doesn't look like a man almost 70.

True. But unless they tone down the action, it's still going to take some toll on him.
  • Dalton looks as young and more physically fit than Woodward did at 55 while playing The Equalizer.
    Loved watching the Equalizer as a kid. I wouldn't mind seeing Ray Winstone in the role!