Roger Moore's 'The Saint' TV Classic To Get Re-Rebooted (Into A Trilogy?)

edited January 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,745
Moore is responsible for filming, directing, and even writing many of the episodes of the series he played a part of from 1962-1969.

The new one has the writer of Eagle Eye scripting the.. script.

The first reboot had Val Kilmer.. never heard of it? Huh, me either.
Full article at Empire:
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32968

Comments

• gt007gt007 Station G
    I thought Sir Rog has the rights to The Saint now and he wanted to do a series.

I'd like to see Templar return either on TV or cinema, but done right. Not like the Val Kilmer film which had absolutely nothing in common with the original series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Wasn't James Purefoy to take on the Templer role in the series? I'm not a fan of The Saint, but with Purefoy's involvement, I would have given it a look.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Wasn't James Purefoy to take on the Templer role in the series? I'm not a fan of The Saint, but with Purefoy's involvement, I would have given it a look.

Yes, James Purefoy was rumoured for the part, as was Dougray Scott.
  • RC7RC7
    Fassbender would be great in this role.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Here is @SaintMarks' thread about Purefoy. Seems it didn't happen:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/556/the-saint-2011

Better luck to this version then.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    It'd be ironic if Fassbender filled an old Moore role in the reboot, and then went on to Bond just as Moore did.

But I believe their respective ages in their involvement with 'The Saint' would be s slightly large difference.

Anywho, Fassbender would be a good pick.
    The RKO proposed film is a totally different project with different producers than the now dead Purefoy project. RKO only has the rights to remake their 1930 and 1940 films, no other material can be used (think of the Thunderball/NSNA situation). According to Ian Dickerson president of The Saint Club, RKO and only remake the films using the same scripts as the 30/40 films (which seems odd to me).
    jaguar007 wrote:
    The RKO proposed film is a totally different project with different producers than the now dead Purefoy project. RKO only has the rights to remake their 1930 and 1940 films, no other material can be used (think of the Thunderball/NSNA situation). According to Ian Dickerson president of The Saint Club, RKO and only remake the films using the same scripts as the 30/40 films (which seems odd to me).

Which is his opinion, he is actually involved with starting up a television show. I find it strange that if they have the rights to these movies why can they not update and lenghten their playing time, not unlike NSNA.

In my humble opinion there can never be enough Saint in the cinema or television. As long as it is very unlike the Val Kilmer vehicle or some of the ideas suggested for a new tv show which catered less to the person of Simon Templar but more to something that was not. imho

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,447
    Til the end with the cameo's i don't think Starsky and Hutch movie whas bad adaption.
    Based on the 2 first seasons i saw.

I like The Saint movie and i also hoped on sequel. I like it as Spy movie. I never bought the dvd because i think the dvd is disapointed and i not expect much for a future BD looking to the releases of Jack Ryan. Val Kilmer in my opnion alsoo should have been another Batman movie. I don't know enough about The Saint. From the first 2 seasons i have seen a couple and it remember me the moost to Columbo. I bough the fitst 2 seasons last year, the only 2 seasons who be avaible limited. I also have seen a couple of episodes of S4 & S5.

Purefoy as The Saint be remourd for years, but never happen.
    I already think it be dificult to make a Bond movie, QOS get very negatief comments whyle some things from it are the way to go. So this said The Saint on the big screen mabey can work if it be 3 movies with 1 story for each movie or start with 1 movie followd by 2 back to back. Best thing is to bring The Saint in to the 70's and making 3 movies of The Saint in the 80's and 90's. So that you get a kind of Mad Men (50's and 60's) in 70's and stil have litle bit Saint in the 80's and 90's. Personaly i can't wait if it happen to see Mad Men enter the 70's and part of the 80's. If vergot the 60's Moore for a moment i don't mind to see it started in the 60's.. In other words 1960-2000 not earlier and not later, but by prefer 1960-2000. Born English actor. In and around England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland. Timothy Dalton ? Purefoy ? Jeremy Northam ? Gerard Butler ?
  • Timothy Dalton should be the next Robert Mccall aka The Equalizer!!!
  • "Which is his opinion, he is actually involved with starting up a television show. I find it strange that if they have the rights to these movies why can they not update and lenghten their playing time, not unlike NSNA."

It's a little more than just my opinion. It's a contractual clause that was re-confirmed in the early 1990s when the deal for what became the Kilmer movie was first struck. At the time Leslie Charteris was still alive and when RKO suggested they were going to remake The Saint in New York--and even went so far as to pay Larry Cohen to write a script--he took legal action during which RKO's remake rights were legally verified.