Whose idea was it to cast Brosnan as Bond?

edited February 2012 in Actors Posts: 11,425
Obviously the Broccolis approved of his casting as they had originally wanted him for the Living Daylights, but were there any other external factors involved in Brosnan's casting? I read somewhere that MGM were not keen on Dalton returning and were pushing for Brosnan to be cast.

Comments

Hard to find out for sure. Even after decades the matter hasn't been cleared up completely. You can find lots of fans who swear by the graves of their ancestors MGM pushed for Brosnan and Dalton helped the Broccolis by turning in his licence. But you'll find not a single soul in the know who talks openly. Perhaps in another 25 years.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 4,813
    As I understand it, (anyone feel free to add/correct any details)
    Brosnan was just an up-and-coming young actor who hadn't really been in a lot, and accompanied his wife Cassandra Harris on the set of FYEO where he met Cubby Broccoli- that was the first step.
    Brosnan continues to act and I think Cubby may have mentioned him in interviews as 'brilliant potential' or something like that; Brosnan lands the part of Remington Steele, a show where he plays a 'spy' type character, often in a suit and sometimes even in a tux.
    I believe those two components are what got the public interested in Brosnan playing Bond.
    He was even at the top of the list and all but signed on the dotted line- everybody wanted him! But at the last second Remington Steele forced him by contract to do another season (which they never even finished). The back and forth nonsense went on to delay filming just long enough for Dalton to become available!
    I think it's safe to say, Brosnan was PISSED. But good things to those who wait!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    But good things to those who wait!

Then he was let go when he wanted to continue. All in all, I wonder if he thinks the experience was worth it? Still seems, quite uneasy to talk about it even today.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,492
    I think it is difficult to underestimate how much influence Remington Steele was instrumental in getting Pierce James Bond.

Remington Steele was an extremely average series whose main star was Stephanie Zimbalist. For all his faults Pierce took the role and run with it and his persona was suited to the fantasy spy of Remington Steele. He was not in the John Le Carre mode but the wisecracking Roger Moore mode. Steele was constantly in a tuxedo, constantly talking spy and using his charm on the ladies.

Comparisons with Bond were ineveitable and it was promoted by several US TV critics who suggested him openly print in the role. He became the king in waiting.

I sort of feel sorry for Pierce because he was messed around when he had a crack at the role but I kind of think because he was promoted and expected to be James Bond he never put his stamp on the role. Sean, Rog, Tim, Dan and even Laz tried to do something different.

With Pierce is was same old same old. But some people want that.
    I still find it strange that the Broccolis chose him. In my view there were clear positive reasons for picking all the other actors. They brought something distinct to the part and Brosnan always seemed like the odd one out. All the other 5 were good choices and I will never really understand how the Broccolis came to choose Brosnan when previously they'd shown such good judgement. But I suppose you can't argue with the box office success he had.
    I don't know if I'd feel sorry for him now-- I mean he got to be JAMES BOND from 1995 to 2002-- his face was everywhere. He absolutely deserved better movies and certainly should have had a fifth outing in 2004; a down-to-earth like Moore's FYEO after MR was. But seriously, he's set for life! He was a great Bond and has millions of fans who think he was the BEST one

In 1986 however? Yes, I'd feel extremely sorry for him.
    Just imagine, being in a lame TV show that's almost over, allowing you to play the part of a lifetime in a big budget movie to be shown all over the world-- only for the show to step in and say 'oh, well we're going to do another season after all, so you won't have time to play Bond. It's in your contract that you have to come with us. Sorry, lulz.' I would have gone insane. Back then you see-- nobody knew Dalton was only going to play Bond twice-- he could have played him 10 times for all anybody knew. Brosnan probably thought that his chance was done for!

I hope in 1995 when he finally signed on that dotted line, that he sent the Remington Steele folks a letter with a picture of a giant middle finger on it! ;)
    I think Brosnan is phenominally lucky. He had the part of a life time and would be pretty much a non-entity if it wasn't for Bond. He's also used Bond well in terms of getting other parts and doing interesting other films. Infact of all the Bonds I'd say he's benefited the most from playing the part.
    Getafix wrote:
    I think Brosnan is phenominally lucky. .

He's been lucky all his career....for one reason...

..his good looks..

They are headturning. They are extraordinary. They are the kind of looks which would have attracted girls at a very early age. And to be frank he has traded on them. They are the things which have opened doors. As he is not a strong actor.

I watched The Ghost on C4 the other night for the first time and he was outacted in every scene by Olivia Williams and Ewan McGregor. Adam Lang, a very thinly veiled Tony Blair. Its a good role which an actor can play the tragedy, delusion and pathos of a man who was instrumental in destroying his own reputation. Its all one note from Pierce - and this is with Roman Polanski directing him.

If ever there is an actor which has had doors open for him with his good looks it is him..
    The idea to cast Pierce Brosnan was done by Cubby Broccoli himself. ANd looking back on his participation in the 007 franchise he was more right than wrong. SOmething you can hardly say about his stepson and daugther they are more wrong than right so far.

of course in my humble opinion.
    Was watching the South Bank Show Special from when QoS came out. Quite interesting comments on there. Ken Adam was saying that Harry Saltzman came from a circus background and was always full of ideas and that Broccoli was more of a 'realist' and money man who was good at bringing in the funding.
  • tqbtqb
    I was watching the Hong Kong Press Conference of TWINE (Its on youtube). And there was a part where Brosnan was saying how he wishes they would ditch the Bond formula and do something completely different. Ironic.
    Poor old Brossa. He was definitely given duff material to work with.
    Getafix wrote:
    I still find it strange that the Broccolis chose him. In my view there were clear positive reasons for picking all the other actors. They brought something distinct to the part and Brosnan always seemed like the odd one out. All the other 5 were good choices and I will never really understand how the Broccolis came to choose Brosnan when previously they'd shown such good judgement. But I suppose you can't argue with the box office success he had.

Brosnan was the "people's choice" and had been since 1985. When Dalton chose not to return then EON turned to him. Bond had been off the screen for years and I'm sure Cubby was wondering how Bond would be received. The public was still hot for Brosnan so Cubby pulled the trigger. Maybe Cubby figured this was a "safe" move.

I for one was sad to hear that Dalton would not be back. I liked Brosnan in other movies but not as James Bond.
    Dalts was a fool to pull out of Goldeneye. Look what has happened to him since. Best thing he's done is Hot Fuzz.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 6,432
    As I understand it, (anyone feel free to add/correct any details)
    Brosnan was just an up-an-coming young actor who hadn't really been in a lot, and accompanied his wife Cassandra Harris on the set of FYEO where he met Cubby Broccoli- that was the first step.
    Brosnan continues to act and I think Cubby may have mentioned him in interviews as 'brilliant potential' or something like that; Brosnan lands the part of Remington Steele, a show where he plays a 'spy' type character, often in a suit and sometimes even in a tux.
    I believe those two components are what got the public interested in Brosnan playing Bond.
    He was even at the top of the list and all but signed on the dotted line- everybody wanted him! But at the last second Remington Steele forced him by contract to do another season (which they never even finished). The back and forth nonsense went on to delay filming just long enough for Dalton to become available!
    I think it's safe to say, Brosnan was PISSED. But good things to those who wait!

That was john glen's take on it on the extras dvd for FYEO. brosnan accompanied his late wife to the FYEO set, cubby liked the look of him.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,341
    Getafix wrote:
    Dalts was a fool to pull out of Goldeneye. Look what has happened to him since. Best thing he's done is Hot Fuzz.

I second that. His excuse seemed "lame". I think it was something like, "despite his affection for the franchise, he decided to pursue other projects". GE could have been a tour de force for Dalts. Just imagine certain scenes with Dalton: showdown and fight with Trevelyn...the scene on the beach with Natalya...
    GE was so intended for Dalton and his talents. But the public wanted Brosnan. the rest is history.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history_press_dalton_resignation.php3?t=&s=bonds&id=02480

Take a look at that. All of you need to know on the decision that should never have been made.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:
    GE was so intended for Dalton and his talents. But the public wanted Brosnan. the rest is history.

It will be interesting to hear - very many years from now - what really happened with Dalton leaving. I am inclined to believe that Dalton knew that he wasn't an audience favourite (at least as far as the studio was concerned) and saw the writing on the wall. Looks like all involved handled it in a very mature, professional manner.
    I hope he's able to do a commentary on both his films for a future home video release. I'd love to hear his take on things.
    I certainly hope it wasn't because he thought 'Scarlett' would be better for his career...
    Unfortunately it's true, Dalton, while successful, isn't a tenth of how big he could have been had he stuck with Bond.
    Though maybe he prefers that. He's a pretty quiet guy
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I second that. His excuse seemed "lame". I think it was something like, "despite his affection for the franchise, he decided to pursue other projects". GE could have been a tour de force for Dalts. Just imagine certain scenes with Dalton: showdown and fight with Trevelyn...the scene on the beach with Natalya...

The whole scene with Dame Judi giving him a dressing down as a 'mysoginist dinosaur' would have been better with Dalts - by then he'd have been a good deal older and it would have all worked quite nicely. Cut the stupid plane stunt at the start and it might have been a decent movie. Although the naff look and tone of the film might not have suited Dalton's style.
    Not sure, but I'm glad they did!
  • In 1986 however? Yes, I'd feel extremely sorry for him.
    Just imagine, being in a lame TV show that's almost over, allowing you to play the part of a lifetime in a big budget movie to be shown all over the world-- only for the show to step in and say 'oh, well we're going to do another season after all, so you won't have time to play Bond. It's in your contract that you have to come with us. Sorry, lulz.'

Actually Remington Steele was almost canceled until news broke that Brosnan was cast as Bond (he was actually signed). NBC renewed Steele at the 11th hour in order to ride the Bond publicity waive. The producers of Steele wanted to work around the Bond shooting schedule, but it was Cubby who decided to drop Brosnan. He did not want his big screen Bond on the small screen every week.

As for Dalton quitting the role for GE, that is the story that was given to the press. It is not a greatly kept secret that the real reason "Dalton retired" is that John Calley (then head of MGM) refused to greenlight GE unless the role was recast. Calley was the one pushing for Brosnan, EON wanted to continue with Dalton.
  • jaguar007 wrote:
    As for Dalton quitting the role for GE, that is the story that was given to the press. It is not a greatly kept secret that the real reason "Dalton retired" is that John Calley (then head of MGM) refused to greenlight GE unless the role was recast. Calley was the one pushing for Brosnan, EON wanted to continue with Dalton.

DICK!!!! You mean Dalton may have wanted to come back for GoldenEye if not for Calley's meddling??
    We must find this man and destroy him

>:)

• DICK!!!! You mean Dalton may have wanted to come back for GoldenEye if not for Calley's meddling??
    We must find this man and destroy him

>:)

Too late, Calley passed away last year.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I think Brosnan is phenominally lucky. .

He's been lucky all his career....for one reason...

..his good looks..

They are headturning. They are extraordinary. They are the kind of looks which would have attracted girls at a very early age. And to be frank he has traded on them. They are the things which have opened doors. As he is not a strong actor.

I watched The Ghost on C4 the other night for the first time and he was outacted in every scene by Olivia Williams and Ewan McGregor. Adam Lang, a very thinly veiled Tony Blair. Its a good role which an actor can play the tragedy, delusion and pathos of a man who was instrumental in destroying his own reputation. Its all one note from Pierce - and this is with Roman Polanski directing him.

If ever there is an actor which has had doors open for him with his good looks it is him..

Good movie that.

I'd say Brozza was definitely out-acted by Williams (the best performance in the film) but not sure about McGregor.

The irony is that Brozza himself has a fair bit in common with the Lang character. A man who was once loved but now isn't and left under a cloud. That's probably why they cast him.

A couple of good interviews below.

I watched the interview and he caught me by surprise. Corellating Blair with King Lear and the tragedy of a man in decline. I thought, you know what, Pierces is going back to his drama school training in this - Hollywood hasn't completely softened his brain.

But then he said "keep it simple" and "dont walk into the furniture" and I thought...umm...maybe I wasnt wrong on him after all...

Why chose Pierce? Well, he oozes charm like Blair and can win people over. He is charming and funny during the GMTV interview. Blair was the most charming man in the world until people saw through him.

Maybe he just needs good material and The Ghost was that.
    He certainly does, like Blair, have a superficial charm right down to the cheesey grin. He is funny but there is a certain similarity between the character he's playing and his own experience. He even says so in the interview.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dalton clearly wasn't coming back. I believe in '94, it was made official.

So who to turn to next? Obviously the guy who had almost been selected nearly a decade before.

I don't think there wasn't a consensus when they chose Pierce.
  • Dalton officially resigned from the Bond role in April 1994, all those legal disputes had taken their toll and while Tim had been patient in the end, unfortunately the welshman decided it was time to call an end to his 007 resume, a real shame in retrospect as I did indeed want to see him in further Bond stories after 1989, he had initially agreed a three film contract before Daylights. As we are aware, Brosnan would of taken the part in 1986 from Moore if not having been tied up with the Remington Steel contract of the time. Before Goldeneye happened it was originally to be titled Property of a Lady and to be filmed in China but in the end that was all scrapped and we got Brosnan instead and with it a different title

Speaking of Goldeneye, At time of production in 1995 the producers actually pulled off a cunning deal to save a few pounds on a party for the cast and crew. It was thrown at Planet Hollywood free of charge - in return for memorabilia handed over by (new at the time) 007 Pierce Brosnan. A major Vodka company provided free liquor also. Former Bond actor Roger Moore turned up on the last day of filming on 12 June 1995 also and was pictured with Brosnan on the set of Leavesden Airfield and even told bosses 'If Pierce doesn't work out, I'm free for the next Bond picture'