"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

Really looking forward to a new series from the Star Trek Universe! :-bd
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I've only seen TOS, TOS movies (except The Search for Spock), and the newer movies. I have TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise in my instant queue on Netflix but have yet to watch them. Oddly enough I'm looking forward to Discovery. Is it true that it'll be on Netflix like the title of this thread says? If it is that would make my day because I'm not getting CBS All Access just for one show.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,119
    I've only seen TOS, TOS movies (except The Search for Spock), and the newer movies. I have TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise in my instant queue on Netflix but have yet to watch them. Oddly enough I'm looking forward to Discovery. Is it true that it'll be on Netflix like the title of this thread says? If it is that would make my day because I'm not getting CBS All Access just for one show.

Yep, it'll be on Netflix as well..

By the way, to prepare for "Star Trek: Discovery", I recommend you to read this wonderful essay on a classic "Star Trek"-episode. To be precise, the two-parter 'Homefront/Paradise Lost', from the 4th season of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". It shows that humanity can and should still learn a great deal about history and today's geopolitical world. It's quite an eerie comparison, but still entirely fitting. I can only hope "Star Trek: Discovery" will give us a lot of such episodes:
    http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-7/watch-club-deep-space-nine-homefront-and-paradise-lost

That's awesome! Will it be released at the same time it's on CBS All Access?

By the way, to prepare for "Star Trek: Discovery", I recommend you to read this wonderful essay on a classic "Star Trek"-episode. To be precise, the two-parter 'Homefront/Paradise Lost', from the 4th season of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". It shows that humanity can and should still learn a great deal about history and today's geopolitical world. It's quite an eerie comparison, but still entirely fitting. I can only hope "Star Trek: Discovery" will give us a lot of such episodes:
    http://www.blastr.com/2017-2-7/watch-club-deep-space-nine-homefront-and-paradise-lost

I'll check it out, thanks! While I love the new movies, I hope they go back to being more philosophical.

• From what I've read on here, "Star Trek: Discovery" will be darker, grittier and more phylosophical. Hence I can't WAIT for it:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/new-series.htm
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    Really looking forward to a new series from the Star Trek Universe! :-bd

You don't know how excited I am :-O

I just found out that it will be on Netflix but not in the US or Canada... which means I won't be watching it for awhile. :((
  • Yep, it'll be on Netflix as well..

I just found out that it will be on Netflix but not in the US or Canada... which means I won't be watching it for awhile. :((

Ahh come on. You can still download it with a Torrent site :-).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not sure Piracy is the answer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How is an American series not streaming on the American Netflix service? That makes no sense...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    How is an American series not streaming on the American Netflix service? That makes no sense...

Because $$$. They're hoping they can get fans in North America to sign up for their upcoming CBS All Access app for $5.99/month to watch the show.
    The pilot episode will be free to watch but as Creasy47 mentioned you have to get CBS all access to watch it.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Complete crap. I'll go blackmarket or wait for Netflix.
  • How is an American series not streaming on the American Netflix service? That makes no sense...

Well, ever heard of Amazon Prime? They have great TV Series too you know. Many Golden Globe winners actually. So Netflix isn't the only one.

I will help everyone watching "Star Trek: Discovery" OK :-P?

Well, ever heard of Amazon Prime? They have great TV Series too you know. Many Golden Globe winners actually. So Netflix isn't the only one.

I will help everyone watching "Star Trek: Discovery" OK :-P?
    Much more expensive than Netflix, might be why there's less interest, don't you think?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gustav_Graves, what do you mean by "So Netflix isn't the only one"?
    As far as (we) know Star Trek isn't going to be on Amazon?
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    17159002_203202850164125_8854819808861999916_o.jpg?oh=84b3c425d7e71da59de6fab98c6974a7&oe=5928AF23

Discovery has had a slot on UK Netflix for months.
    Interesting rumour about the leading Starfleet vessels in "Star Trek: Discovery". It's about the relationship between the USS Discovery (Captain Lorca, played by British actor Jason Isaacs) and the USS Shenzhou (Captain Georgiou, played by Malaysian/Chinese actress Michelle Yeoh):
    https://www.inverse.com/article/29201-star-trek-discovery-rumor-shenzhou-star-ship-fleet
    trek-actorsjpg.jpeg

By the way, here's a nice filmography of both actors:

Jason Isaacs:
    --> "The OA" (Netflix TV Series, 2016 - present)
    --> "A Single Shot" (2013)
    --> "Green Zone" (2010, directed by Paul Greengrass)
    --> "Harry Potter: And The Chamber Of Secrets" (2002, as Lucius Malfoy, and 5 more Harry Potter sequels)
    --> "Resident Evil" (2002)
    --> "The Patriot" (2000)

Michelle Yeoh:
    --> "Marco Polo" (Netflix TV Series, 2014 - present)
    --> "Sunshine" (2007, directed by Danny Boyle)
    --> "Memoirs Of A Geisha" (2005)
    --> "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" (2000)
    --> "James Bond 18: Tomorrow Never Dies" (1997, as Bond-girl Wai Lin)
    Here's a great cast overview:
    http://trekmovie.com/discovery/
    When's the pilot due to premier?
    Murdock wrote: »

Not sure as it's been pushed back previously, the original date was January 2017. I don't think there is an official date as yet I maybe wrong.

Not sure as it's been pushed back previously, the original date was January 2017. I don't think there is an official date as yet I maybe wrong.

So far it will be fall of this year. Around October.

So far it will be fall of this year. Around October.

Alot of good TV around at the moment a later release in the year suits me.

I advise you to follow these websites for frequent updates on "Star Trek: Discovery":

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/new-series.htm

http://trekmovie.com/discovery/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm interested to se the final ship design; I wasn't thrilled with the look seen in the teaser that was released a while back. Yes, I know it was based on a design done by Ralph McQuarrie but I found it a very awkward looking vessel.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm interested to se the final ship design; I wasn't thrilled with the look seen in the teaser that was released a while back. Yes, I know it was based on a design done by Ralph McQuarrie but I found it a very awkward looking vessel.

I have heard something by accident regarding the ship, I won't post it here as it's unconfirmed though the ship maybe quite different if the rumour is correct.

When are we going to get a proper cast photo? The wait is driving me crazy!