How "classic" is not shaving?

Comments

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Killing dr killing Trevelyan, killing Electra, trying to kill Miranda, Threatening zao. They were ok individual scenes weren't they?

Blimey!

I'm not saying pierce was/is the greatest actor ever but the flack he sometimes gets now is silly. You don't have to be a great actor to act like a cold bastard. Both Roger and Pierce had instances where they could do it just fine.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Brosnan used a gadget to kill Kaufmann, instead of outsmarting him in another fashion, the acting when he killed Elektra was putrid. BANG. Oh, so sorry...Then seconds later he shrugs it off like nothing ever happened. BS. Then, the genius would've killed Miranda, but he apparently doesn't know when his damn gun isn't loaded. What utter crap.
  • Brosnan is far from my favourite bond, though to be fair the films and scripts he had did him no favours. by the time he had settled into the role he got DAD. P.s. always rated Goldeneye, was a good debut movie for him relatively speaking.
    What other way do u suggest Bond outsmart Kaulfman?? It was partly kaulfmans own arrogance that led to his death. Bond knew this. AND might I add he didn't use a gadget to kill Kaulfman - he used Kaulfman's own gun. The phone just subdued him - much like the tashe case subdued Grant in FRWL. I thought that was a suspenseful scene and the line "me too " was pitch perfect. the best scene in the whole damn film.

Yes he shrugs off Electra because he's Bond. He can't spend ages moaning can he? I thought it was a pretty good scene.

Yea, the no bullets thing was odd but still well acted and a good idea. Out of no where Bond suddenly tries to kill a woman but can't because he foolishly let his guard down.
  • Haha before this turns into a huge issue for Craig bashers just remember we know little to nothing about the story so far. For all we know Bond could just be sporting the stubble for the PTS. Or maybe it's relevant to the story. It just seems that Craig haters pick the stupidest things to complain about. The next complaint I'll hear is that Craig is left-handed so he can't be a classic Bond.
    I'm not a Craig basher. I just don't like how worshipping Craig automatically means bashing Broz. For the record I think Craig IS better.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,399
    VeryBond wrote:
    And yeah, I'm tired of rogue Bond on personal missions (it's right there in the official log line 'M's past comes back to haunt her and Bond must' etc)

firstly... Bond hasn't gone rouge since DAD, and that was brief - if you count QOS, then your about as thick as a bag of garbage - because its been pretty well established that Bond was not rouge, and was acting on mission, but it only appeared to M like he was going off like a loose cannon - that is all.... But if you also count every single time that Bond has acted in some way outside of Mi6 to get something done, then you can look into a vast majority of the films and find bits of that sprinkled in...

secondly.... because it's a part of M's past, immediately that makes it 'personal' for Bond?.... LMAO..... there were more "this is personal" moments in Brozzer's last 2 films than Craig's first 2.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes he shrugs off Electra because he's Bond. He can't spend ages moaning can he? I thought it was a pretty good scene.

Yea, the no bullets thing was odd but still well acted and a good idea. Out of no where Bond suddenly tries to kill a woman but can't because he foolishly let his guard down. [/quote]

If we refer to the Fleming novels, Bond is nothing but a normal man, and should feel both physical and emotional pain. Brosnan in that moment hardly bats an eye at killing Elektra, when he should've acted like Bond at the end of CR, heartbroken and traumatized by the terror the death of a woman he loved brought. And Bond should know the difference in the weight of a gun with and without a magazine, especially his gun! Foolish writing, not just crap plot, Bond girl, and CGI plagued the mess that is DAD. Brosnan was always near the top of the list for Bond in the 80s up to the 90s, yet he didn't seem Bondian once he got too us. Mostly the scripts are to blame, but the painface extravaganzas and the unconvincing fights and overuse of machine guns instead of the P99 or PPK are too many to count. Compared to the others he doesn't shine as bright. Sean is the big neon sign with brilliant illumination, Craig is a similar light, but not as illuminating, Moore is a bunch of disco-tech inspired flashy lights reflecting the ambiance of his cheeky take on Bond, Tim is the dark, dark light, that you know had a pulse but just doesn't feel like putting on the overpowering flashy show of Moore, George is the one little bulb that is dusty, and somewhat forgotten, and finally Brosnan is the light that shines for some, and flickers sporadically for an equal amount of people. A light claiming to have a long lasting illumination, only to find that it is only bright a moderate percentage of the time, and needs a new bulb every so often.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 774
    There have already been scenes filmed where he clearly doesn't have a beard. In the rooftop scene, the only way he could look more 'classic Bond' would be if he was Sean Connery.

All his suits so far are classic Bond. Narrow lapels, turn up cuffs, black oxfords, what appear to be grenadine ties. The chase scene suit looks remarkably similar to the final suit of FRWL. The rooftop outfit looks similar to the New York LALD outfit (my favourite Moore outfit). The outfit where he's walking down the steps outside the building whose name escapes me looks like quite a few Connery suits from DN and FRWL

So for half the film he has a stubbly beard? That's the fashion these days, just like Sean Connery showed some 60's fashions with his grooming. And at least we know he loses the beard pretty quickly, and even looks pretty alpha with it.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:
    And yeah, I'm tired of rogue Bond on personal missions (it's right there in the official log line 'M's past comes back to haunt her and Bond must' etc)

firstly... Bond hasn't gone rouge since DAD, and that was brief - if you count QOS, then your about as thick as a bag of garbage - because its been pretty well established that Bond was not rouge, and was acting on mission, but it only appeared to M like he was going off like a loose cannon - that is all.... But if you also count every single time that Bond has acted in some way outside of Mi6 to get something done, then you can look into a vast majority of the films and find bits of that sprinkled in...

secondly.... because it's a part of M's past, immediately that makes it 'personal' for Bond?.... LMAO..... there were more "this is personal" moments in Brozzer's last 2 films than Craig's first 2.

Well said sir =D> . I've said it before, Craig haters find really stupid reasons to complain about him. They were bashing him before the CR teaser was even released and now they're bashing him after 1 official photo from SF has been released. Im not saying all of them are Craig bashers but alot of them tend to stick together.
    Volante wrote:
    There have already been scenes filmed where he clearly doesn't have a beard. In the rooftop scene, the only way he could look more 'classic Bond' would be if he was Sean Connery.

All his suits so far are classic Bond. Narrow lapels, turn up cuffs, black oxfords, what appear to be grenadine ties. The chase scene suit looks remarkably similar to the final suit of FRWL. The rooftop outfit looks similar to the New York LALD outfit (my favourite Moore outfit). The outfit where he's walking down the steps outside the building whose name escapes me looks like quite a few Connery suits from DN and FRWL

So for half the film he has a stubbly beard? That's the fashion these days, just like Sean Connery showed some 60's fashions with his grooming. And at least we know he loses the beard pretty quickly, and even looks pretty alpha with it.

In reference to the LALA outfit, that was my favorite too. I've got a similar outfit but probably not half as classy or expensive as the one Sir Roger wore ;) .
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd rather have a homeless, hairy gorilla man as Bond that could act than have an actor play Bond that couldn't act worth a lick. Oh, hello Pierce! :-w

Damn he really gets some flack on this site. Agreed he's not as good as Craig acting wise but he had his moments didn't he??

Jesus.

So few to count, which is why he is brought up. Some of the most crucial moments in his films were slacking in the acting department.

In your opinion, and I couldn't disagree more. Brosnan was the best thing about his movies. He gave many different colors to Bond from light to dark, cool to hot, while all DC does is scowl and people interpret that as great acting. He's the same in every movie, Bond or not. And worst of all, in my opinion, he doesn't seem to understand he's starring in a popcorn series and should be having fun doing it.
  • Oh no not another shaving and Bond beards extravaganza although it looks like we may have averted away now

Something about further Craig berating too, fair enough but he's hasn't been too bad. All I'll say from some reading above is I'd rather have my Bond being sulky and straight faced rather than flippant attitudes in the face of immediate danger, although we did have that with Mr Craig in the genitals scene in Royale. I can't go along also with the above that James Bond is a 'popcorn series', it may well have been at some point in time with respective actors, but we've pulled away recently with a more serious edge, that's ideally how it should be I feel this moment in time

PS I love how people who criticize DC are evil "Craig Haters", but when you trash Brosnan you're the height of logic and reason. LOL. Calling someone thick as a garbage bag is a perfectly acceptable argument, but someone thinks DC shows absolutely no class, charm or sophistication in his portrayal of Bond and they are way out of line. If you want to debate the two actors point by point, fine, but there's no need to overreact and call people names.
    HASEROT wrote:
    VeryBond wrote:

secondly.... because it's a part of M's past, immediately that makes it 'personal' for Bond?.... LMAO.....

Uhm...yeah, it does. If he's working to save or defend M, then that is the very definition of personal. I don't remember Connery or Moor doing that for Bernard Lee.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @VeryBond

Not sure what movie you were watching, but DC in CR showed more emotional depth than Brosnan in just about anything the man has done - Bond and outside of Bond... Brosnan's emotional depth ranged from "pain face" to the sorrowful "i'll hold my hand over my mouth and look upset."... most of the time he was either clearing his throat for a painfully obvious one liner to make it's way in from left field - and then straightening his tie.... or..... well..... really that about sums it up.... nothing against Pierce, but the acting talents between both men are in two completely different leagues... i would rather have Craig's scowl than Pierce's empty expressions.

and nothing is completely known about the plot of Skyfall yet - so we don't know the extent of what is "personal" or not.... as i've said before, and other topics as well, each 007 mission always has a tinge of personal stake to it - some more than others.. same goes with Bond acting outside of Mi6 at times to get things done.. it's there more often than you think it is.
    I like Craig as Bond, but this time round is hair is waaaay too short to look like the Bond I imagined in the novels. His hair looks practically a skinhead!!!!
    I love this. The battering 'pain face' vs the praising 'sulky pout face' gets.

One moment pierce is criticised for being all emo over Electra and stroking her hair for a few seconds and showing a smidgen of emotion for a woman who got under his skin. Next he's criticised for 'not batting an eyelid'. Seems the guy can't win eitherway agreed they could have taken advantage of it more but wouldn't that add to the 'Bond is a wimp' argument?

Also, Brosnan DID seem Bond like to a lot of people by the time he arrived in the 90s.
    Well, that's what makes horse races I guess. I would much rather have an actor with more than one expression, period. Craig always looks to me like he's putting so much effort into looking tough and that's the exact opposite of why I became a Bond fan as a kid...I didn't want to watch (or be) the typical tough guy hero who scowls and grimaces, I wanted to see/be the ultra-smooth super agent who enjoys his life of danger and enjoys women even more. Craig is just too one-note thuggish and miserable for my tastes. But hope springs eternal. I thought he was much more Bondian in QOS actually, so maybe he'll surprise me.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I love this. The battering 'pain face' vs the praising 'sulky pout face' gets.

One moment pierce is criticised for being all emo over Electra and stroking her hair for a few seconds and showing a smidgen of emotion for a woman who got under his skin. Next he's criticised for 'not batting an eyelid'. Seems the guy can't win eitherway.

i criticize that one scene, because it's so damn out of place and bizarre... she killed a friend of his, almost his boss, and himself - yet he feels sorry for her..... does not make sense to me.. she played him like fiddle, and he stills holds a small place for her in a brief moment.... F that. lol

It's only a brief moment though. He hardly morns her. At least he actually KILLS Electra. I've heard some people say that M should have killed her. Bond hesitates then M suddenly shoots her out of nowhere.

I think that would have been worse tbh.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It's only a brief moment though. He hardly morns her. At least he actually KILLS Electra. I've heard some people say that M should have killed her. Bond hesitates then M suddenly shoots her out of nowhere.

I think that would have been worse tbh.

lol yes it would've - even from a continuity standpoint - where would she have gotten the gun?.. i can hardly picture Judi hoofing it down the steps, to pick up a gun from a dead guard, then having to go all the way back up to the top of the tower lol - that would be some cardiovascular endurance lol..

but still, even if for a moment - he does have a nuclear explosion to stop (so times a wastin' - while he's mourning a dead girl)... it's just, IMO, out of character for Bond - i hardly remember nor could i picture Connery, Moore or Dalton having the same moment for a woman who seemed pretty amused at the thought of killing him just moments before.. yes he does kill her regardless - but to show remorse afterwards?... meh.. not so sure about that - i call it just another halfhearted attempt to try and inject emotion into the scene - when it could've been played off better..... i put this right along the pout scene when he finds Miranda's body in DAD... why so sad? she set you up from the jump, and almost had you killed on a couple occasions - maybe he was sad he wasnt the one to kill her? (doubtful lol)

I'll give you the Miranda one lol.

In regard to Dalton who knows as the situation never presented himself. Though both him and Felix seemed to have forgotten about Della at the end of LTK.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'll give you the Miranda one lol.

In regard to Dalton who knows as the situation never presented himself. Though both him and Felix seemed to have forgotten about Della at the end of LTK.

seeing Felix chipper at the end was more bizarre though.

Well Bond didn't mention her either did he. It was just a quick attempt to wrap the film up Though he did (conveniently) still have their lighter in his pocket at the end lol.
    well.. in honesty - he never really mentions Della throughout the entire film - i think he only mentions her when he is confronted by M, he only mentions Felix.... so maybe, instead being the most emotional over his friend's wife - he was acting more out of the near loss of his friend.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    One moment pierce is criticised for being all emo over Electra and stroking her hair for a few seconds and showing a smidgen of emotion for a woman who got under his skin. Next he's criticised for 'not batting an eyelid'. Seems the guy can't win eitherway agreed they could have taken advantage of it more but wouldn't that add to the 'Bond is a wimp' argument?

No, it would add to the "Bond is a human being argument", one that hasn't been as greatly utilized until now with Dan. He scars physically and emotionally, much like the Fleming Bond he is just a man who is able to survive by his wits and mastery of his tradecraft. Not on stupid gadgets like an invisible car.
    He did say: "and his wife?" to M in the scene at the Hemmingway house. The rest of the time he doesn't mention either. Only briefly when Pam asks him where Felix is does he bark "hospital".

As for Dan surviving on gadgets what about the defibulator? That's a gadget isn't it lol?
  • The problem with Brosnan is that he'll have a tender emotional moment and then minutes later he's having fun and making stupid jokes. The best example is in TND. He mourns the death of Paris, which was in many ways his fault, and 5 minutes later he's smiling about how cool his car is. One can argue that that's the screenwriter's fault but my problem with Brosnan is that he over-plays absolutly everything. He makes those silly wincing faces and noises when faced with the death of a loved one that makes soap opera actors look professional in comparsion. Brosnan simply doesn't understand the word subtlty. His problem is that he thinks he's a good actor so he'll go for it without thinking about how painfully bad his acting abilties are. Atleast Roger Moore knew he had limitations.
    Put it this way. I noticed Moore's grunts way before I noticed pierces.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Back on track, please!
    This is a thread about shaving, no?