How "classic" is not shaving?

edited February 2012 in Trivia & Games Posts: 15
Wasn't Sky Fall going to be the return of Classic Bond? Quantum of Solace had no opening gun barrel, a deviation from the classic tradition. I was disappointed, but in final moments of the film, the line "I never Left", followed by the Classic gun barrel reassured me BOND was Back. A now to consecrate the Classiness, He can't find a razor? I read recently about Lazenby's Bond contract, and how he wasn't allowed to be seen in public unshaven, to protect the integrity of the Bond image. So, just in time for the 50th anniversary, as a tribute to the fans, instead of the time tested Classic image of bond we get Unshaven? "Classic Bond" my ass. When is Bond going to "get on with his job"? I'm done with the gritty and personal take on 007. I was done with it after License to kill.

Comments

I don't get this beard discussion. For Pete's sake, it's just a stubble!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    #1 - sure this new take is grittier, but nowhere did it say that this latest mission was "personal"

#2 - Brosnan sported a beard in DAD - so?.. where in the unwritten rule book does it say Bond absolutely cannot be with facial hair? - i think it's under the 'nitpicking' section... for a portion of this movie, yes Bond will be with stubble - do we yet know the context of why he is unshaven? No... so don't go wetting your pants yet - and besides, plenty of scenes have already been filmed with him clean shaven.

#3 - Classic Bond is a false hope to pray upon..... too much has changed in the world, and in the world of cinema to ever see a "return to classic bond" type of film aesthetically... now if your talking about traditional Bond formula? that might be a whole other issue.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't get the beard discussion either. If you're this angry about Bond sporting stubble you should probably take a long hard look at your life and whether you're using your energy to the best of your ability.
    masterman wrote:
    Wasn't Sky Fall going to be the return of Classic Bond? Quantum of Solace had no opening gun barrel, a deviation from the classic tradition. I was disappointed, but in final moments of the film, the line "I never Left", followed by the Classic gun barrel reassured me BOND was Back. .

Why is this so important to people? Surely a good story and performance is more important then the crutches of gunbarrel, tuxedo, Walther PPK, Miss Moneypenny etc.

Bond has to move forward. He has to reinvogorate himself - not be preserved in aspic.
    It's important to people because it's comforting. I agree with you @actonsteve but I must say, at times, I find myself pining for classic Bond.

I've never been that great with change generally but I agree Bond needs to move forward.

At the same time it needs to remember what has made it endure, which is a good story, good characters and a sense of escapism.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Double post
  • So do we dismiss every Bond film where the actor playing Bond doesn't wear Brylcreme in his hair? That's an aspect of Bond's appearance which is "classic" as well.
    Pic doesn't really scream "classic Bond" that's for sure. But I doubt this is the Bond look for the entire SF. Couldn't care much less for the time being.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 6,432
    I suspect maybe bond only has stubble in the PTS. would be very surprised if he had a beard for the entire film.

P.s. been a while since i watched DN though i recall sean having a stubble after being captured by dr no near the end of the movie, maybe only a days growth though a stubble none the less. craig having a stubble will surely be relative to the circumstances of the movie. i resist talking about brosnans beard in DAD.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I suspect maybe bond only has stubble in the PTS. would be very surprised if he had a beard for the entire film.

About 30 - 40 minutes is what's been reported.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

About 30 - 40 minutes is what's been reported.

Maybe bond goes rogue, because M is dead or captured. last thing on bond's mind is to shave or perhap's he is trying to disguise himself to infiltrate the cult of the beard a terrorist organisation *tongue in cheek*
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Where lies the problem? Bond doesn't have the stubble or beard for the most part of the film. People need to relax.
    No more 'Bond going rogue' for God's sake.
  • barryt007 wrote:
    No more 'Bond going rogue' for God's sake.

*tongue in cheek* Though i would not put it past producers making bond go rogue, yet again. lets hope not!
    What is soooooo perposterous in Bond having stubble? He and we know he has got it! And that when HE decides? Will get laid! ;) I know i do not shave everyday and i don't see people judging me for it! It's a film!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It's important to people because it's comforting. I agree with you @actonsteve but I must say, at times, I find myself pining for classic Bond.

I've never been that great with change generally but I agree Bond needs to move forward.

At the same time it needs to remember what has made it endure, which is a good story, good characters and a sense of escapism.

Its a comfort blanket.

Surely fans can move beyond that?
  • Why is this shaving issue such a big deal? James Bond is a spy and spies need to change it up at times. Anyone remember You Only Live Twice and the whole Japanese thing? Was it really that convincing? No, but it was part of the story. I would be very surprised if the stubble was not part of the story.

So instead of complaining about it maybe we should be intrigued in seeing what the stubble is all about. If after Skyfall is released there is no good reason for Bond to have the stubble then we can b%tch..:-)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I love how one little thing, stubble, detracts from the "classic-ness" of the film. "Oh, Christ, he's got a beard! Boycott the film!" Masterman... are you the monkey from your pic?
    I love how one little thing, stubble, detracts from the "classic-ness" of the film. "Oh, Christ, he's got a beard! Boycott the film!" Masterman... are you the monkey from your pic?

Well it was the blonde hair only a few years back. I understand when people like things just the way they want them, but at the same time I think they need to realx to changes a bit more. I mean bond wouldn't have survived if he didn't evolve, and to me a beard is a very small evolution.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This conversation is a little bit gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    in areas of the world you have to wear a beard...as someone who hates shaving stubble is wonderful for my skin, spies go undercover all the time and have to fit in.

Did Admiralty only a few years ago stop with the big beard thing?

Some people are just looking for a reason not to like Bond....if it wasnt the beard it would be the brand of shoe is wearing or the cut of the coat.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Its a comfort blanket.

Surely fans can move beyond that?

Change certainly takes a while to get used to and isn't always easy. I remember when I came out of CR in 2006. I wasn't sure what I thought of it at first and went back to watch GE for 'comfort'. It was only after seeing it the second time I thought "actually I really like this. Its new but still has a lot of Bondian elements".

Also, the fact that Martin Campbell directed it was comforting ;)
    I agree completely with the original poster. So far nothing about this movie looks at all "classic" to me. The "beard discussion" is because DC has already spent two movies looking 'rode hard and put away wet' and some of us were hoping for a return to a more classy and stylish Bond, not to mention a Bond that doesn't wear a perpetual scowl. Halfhearted stubble does not spell Bond. He'll, I'd rather he have a goatee. And yeah, I'm tired of rogue Bond on personal missions (it's right there in the official log line 'M's past comes back to haunt her and Bond must' etc) and the gritty "realism" (haha), I just want a great exciting Bond adventure where he does his job and saves the world. That is, if he ever gets out of London.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    VeryBond wrote:
    So far nothing about this movie looks at all "classic" to me.

So, unless we see the "classic" elements right away, there are none? Is that your opinion? We've seen so few things about this film so far that we have no idea what the "classic" elements are. For one, Bond's using the PPK, which right there is a "classic" element. We need to see more before "classic" is ruled out.
    In regard to Bond having a beard Brozza had a beard in a bit of DAD yet no one seems to remember or be bothered about that. I'm intrigued. I want to actually SEE the film before I judge it.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 401
    For one, Bond's using the PPK, which right there is a "classic" element.
    It was in QoS, and that film obviously wasn't "classic" Bond; that film was determined to not be classic Bond. Having the PPK doesn't mean the film is going to have "classic" elements.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh for Christ sake. Some people will complain about damn near anything to satisfy themselves. IT IS JUST SOME STUBBLE! People ragged on Craig about his hair color, and now they are picking on his facial hair. How about you look at the man's acting talent and what he brings to the character instead of aesthetics. I'd rather have a homeless, hairy gorilla man as Bond that could act than have an actor play Bond that couldn't act worth a lick. Oh, hello Pierce! :-w Regardless, wait until you see why Bond has the stubble in the first place before you prepare armaments for a frontal attack. Sheesh... :|
    How about you look at the man's acting talent and what he brings to the character instead of aesthetics.
    He's a poor man's Dalton. I would like to see him grow into his own type of Bond though, it's not like I enjoy hating the current Bond films; I want to like all of them.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I'd rather have a homeless, hairy gorilla man as Bond that could act than have an actor play Bond that couldn't act worth a lick. Oh, hello Pierce! :-w

Damn he really gets some flack on this site. Agreed he's not as good as Craig acting wise but he had his moments didn't he??

Jesus.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'd rather have a homeless, hairy gorilla man as Bond that could act than have an actor play Bond that couldn't act worth a lick. Oh, hello Pierce! :-w

Damn he really gets some flack on this site. Agreed he's not as good as Craig acting wise but he had his moments didn't he??

Jesus.

So few to count, which is why he is brought up. Some of the most crucial moments in his films were slacking in the acting department.