Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• RC7RC7
    suavejmf wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    When u watching the oscars

And they say they are bringing out the most cinematically famous car and Your like

Db5
    It has to be the db5
    Theirs no question.... db5
    Then they bring out the car from back to the future and u like bull shit
    In all fairness the DeLorean really is the most famous car of all time, even though I'd personally put the DB5 over it. And probably the Interceptor from The Road Warrior.
    I always thought it was the DB5? More generations of viewers have certainly seen the car over the years, and will definitely associate it with James Bond. I can appreciate that younger folks may know about the DeLorean, but quite frankly I can't see older people being all that knowledgeable about it.

I suppose they got this from some survey result.

Agree. Delorean is nowhere near as famous as the DB5.
    Yes it is. They're at least of extremely similar fame. It might just be a case of a generation gap to say otherwise.

'Course I'm an 80s kid and Back to the Future was a major aspect of my childhood that predated my Bond experience by a couple years and is still among my absolute favorite films.

No its not. I'm an 80's kid too and naturally I love BTTF. But half the worlds population has seen a Bond film and the DB5 has been the iconic Bond car since 64. Hence, more generations are familiar with the DB5.

Agreed. 80's kid too and a BTTF fan. I don't even think it's debate.
  • GBFGBF
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,197

And they say they are bringing out the most cinematically famous car and Your like

Db5
    It has to be the db5
    In all fairness the DeLorean really is the most famous car of all time, even though I'd personally put the DB5 over it. And probably the Interceptor from The Road Warrior.
    I always thought it was the DB5? More generations of viewers have certainly seen the car over the years, and will definitely associate it with James Bond. I can appreciate that younger folks may know about the DeLorean, but quite frankly I can't see older people being all that knowledgeable about it.

Yes it is. They're at least of extremely similar fame. It might just be a case of a generation gap to say otherwise.

'Course I'm an 80s kid and Back to the Future was a major aspect of my childhood that predated my Bond experience by a couple years and is still among my absolute favorite films.

No its not. I'm an 80's kid too and naturally I love BTTF. But half the worlds population has seen a Bond film and the DB5 has been the iconic Bond car since 64. Hence, more generations are familiar with the DB5.

Maybe the problem is that the DB5 was not there in all Bond films. It got lost in the 60s and disappeared throughout the whole Moore and Dalton era. That is why I am not sure whether casual viewers really have such a strong memory of this car as Bond fans have. Also keep in mind that there have been other memorable Bond cars - like the Lotus Esprit. If Bond had only had the DB5 as the one particular car it would have certainly had a stronger impact....
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Herbie.

Definately... Everyone knows this car.....
  • GBFGBF
    Another one: K.I.T.T.

even though I hate Knight Rider :-)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The German news portal SPIEGEL ONLINE (www.spiegel.de) just had this a few days ago:
    spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/delorean-bis-k-i-t-t-filmautos-klicken-sie-sich-zu-ihrem-kultwagen-a-1134311.html
    At the bottom you can choose your favourite movie car by clicking on the one you like better, until only one is left. Should be self-explaining even if you don't speak English.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    As synonymous with 007 as a dry Martini and a liberal attitude to bedding dangerous women, the wood, the chrome, the leather and its inherent sexuality has made the Aston Martin DB5 one of the most sought-after and eminently recognisable cars in the world for over half a century.

Db5
    It has to be the db5

+1.
  • GBFGBF
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The German news portal SPIEGEL ONLINE (www.spiegel.de) just had this a few days ago:
    spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/delorean-bis-k-i-t-t-filmautos-klicken-sie-sich-zu-ihrem-kultwagen-a-1134311.html
    At the bottom you can choose your favourite movie car by clicking on the one you like better, until only one is left. Should be self-explaining even if you don't speak English.

Danke schön... Ist eine tolle Auswahl an Autos .... Den Bericht hatte ich damals echt übersehen :-)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Da nich' für...
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Should be self-explaining even if you don't speak English.
    Must be "don't speak German", of course.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    edited March 2017 Posts: 127

Db5
    It has to be the db5

Sure. But younger people today (born 90s and 00s, I mean) are going to recognize the DeLorean just as often as the DB5 (probably, mass pop culture surveying isn't my career field so I can't say for certain), hence they're probably equally famous if anything, which is my point. I mean, it's not like people didn't know what the DeLorean was when it appeared. And the same would likely be true for the Aston.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The real question for these things is, if u rolled up in the Middle Africa no one will recognize the de Lorean, but I'm sure at least a few people would know- hey that's bonds car hence making he db5 the more globally popular film car
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    The real question for these things is, if u rolled up in the Middle Africa no one will recognize the de Lorean, but I'm sure at least a few people would know- hey that's bonds car hence making he db5 the more globally popular film car
    I've never been to Africa and have evidence to the contrary, so I guess. I'm just saying that in my experience the DeLorean seems to be recognized as often and by as many people as the DB5, if not more so. And my experience is all I can really base it on.

More generations have seen the DB5. For example if you'd asked any of Grandparents what film the Delorian was from.....not a clue. But the DB5 was recognisable instantly. The fact is more people in the world have seen a Bond film than BTTF. That's not my opinion, that is a fact.
  • GBFGBF
    More generations have seen the DB5. For example if you'd asked any of Grandparents what film the Delorian was from.....not a clue. But the DB5 was recognisable instantly. The fact is more people in the world have seen a Bond film than BTTF. That's not my opinion, that is a fact.

That is true but the DB5 was not so much in the focus in any of the Bond films as the Delorian was in Back to future. Quite often the DB5 is hardly used in the Bond films. Even in GF it gets destroyed pretty early in the film. Furthermore, it completely disappeared for more than a generation.
  • RC7RC7
    GBF wrote: »

That is true but the DB5 was not so much in the focus in any of the Bond films as the Delorian was in Back to future. Quite often the DB5 is hardly used in the Bond films. Even in GF it gets destroyed pretty early in the film. Furthermore, it completely disappeared for more than a generation.

The Delorean hasn't been on screen for nearly 30 years, so I don't really see the argument, if I'm honest.

The car is certainly well known, very much so, but the DB5 is widely revered as 'the most famous car in the world' - it was the pre-eminent icon of blockbuster cinema. Every kid had a DB5.

You could equally argue that Ecto 1 is as famous using the logic being brought to the table.
  • GBFGBF

The Delorean hasn't been on screen for nearly 30 years, so I don't really see the argument, if I'm honest.

The car is certainly well known, very much so, but the DB5 is widely revered as 'the most famous car in the world' - it was the pre-eminent icon of blockbuster cinema. Every kid had a DB5.

You could equally argue that Ecto 1 is as famous using the logic being brought to the table.

What I wanted to say is that while the DB5 is used in more films, it has never been in the focus on amy of these films. Its screen time is relatively low and those who don't care much about cars won't remember the DB5 as the typical Bond car (especially since they had seen plenty of other Bond cars in the meantime). The Delorian, however, is relatively memorable not just as the car used in Back to the future but also as the time mashine which is the essential plot element of the film. The DB5 on the contrary has never been an essential plot element in any Bond film.

But I agree, people who grew up in the 60s certainly had a much stronger emotional connection to the DB5 than to any other film car. And the DB5 is certainly the most beautifull film car.

It is estimated that half the world's population has seen a Bond film. The same can't be said for BTTF. So I don't see the argument if I'm honest.
  • GBFGBF

It is estimated that half the world's population has seen a Bond film. The same can't be said for BTTF. So I don't see the argument if I'm honest.

Yes but there is not a DB5 in every Bond film and even if there is one its screen time is usually very limited. If you were to explain someone shortly the plot of "Back to the Future", you would of course mention the Delorean as the time mashine. Would you mention the DB5 to explain what Goldfinger is about?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If we're talking about which car is more instrumental to the plot, then of course it's the Delorean. The film is about time travel and the car is what makes that happen.

However, if one is talking about iconic memories of cars, and iconic scenes with such car, then it's the DB5 all the way as far as I'm concerned. The number plate rotation, the ejector seat, the bullet protector, the oil spray, the circular saw from the wheel, the GPS tracking etc. etc. I saw all of this first in GF. I'm sure more people have watched GF over the years (on tv, vhs, dvd, blu ray etc.) than any BTTF film.

Additionally, SF was watched by more than 1 billion people, and the DB5 made an iconic appearance there.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Not to mention TB, GE, TND and CR.
    Precisely.
    And SP of course...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going to get off of this Oscar centric talk, we all know what the most famous car in the world is after all.
    Not super controversial, but maybe. I think SP is Craig's second best Bond film, after CR. And would easily place it in the top half of the series. :-O
    Benny wrote: »
    I'm going to get off of this Oscar centric talk, we all know what the most famous car in the world is after all.
    Not super controversial, but maybe. I think SP is Craig's second best Bond film, after CR. And would easily place it in the top half of the series. :-O

@Benny what is it about SP that makes it the 2nd best Craig Bond for you?
  • GBFGBF
    Precisely.

Of course I know what we think about it. But then the Lotus Esprit should be second....
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Precisely.

Of course I know what we think about it. But then the Lotus Esprit should be second....
    It only made a major appearance in one film though (iconic though that appearance certainly was). For me it's definitely second, but I can appreciate most don't feel that way.

Quite frankly, I think the Batmobile in various guises is probably up there too. More so than the Delorean actually. "Chicks dig the car"
  • GBFGBF
    Ok maybe this is controversial:

Even though the DB5 is my favourite Bond car, I find that the Lotus Esprit transforming into a submarine is the most memorable car scene in the Bond franchise.....
    Well, not trying to be a spoilsport, but only the ones in GF and TB were the "real thing" (registration BMT216A, with the full set of gadgets), and the car in SF was to make us believe it was, though even the "GB" sign on the trunk (boot) lid is different.

But the DB5 in GE and TND had registration BMT214A, showed no indication of having machine guns and the like, and in TND was only shown parked outside Oxford University during Bond's brushing-up exercise. If that counts as iconic, may I point out that it was also iconically presented in that satellite surveillance film at the end of TWINE.

And the car Bond won from Dimitrios in CR is an entirely different one anyway, cf. left-hand steering.