Oscars 2017 : Place your bets !

As you know, the list of nominees for the oscars has been announced, and it's time for each of us to place our bets. Full listing here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/89th_Academy_Awards

So let's start with the songs :

Disney has always been a favourite in that category. I wouldn't be surprised if that song won.

Two songs for La La Land :

I didn't know Ema Stone could sing so well.

Not bad, not bad at all, but La La Land has already so many nominations I wouldn't be disappointed if neither songs won.

That version was sung by Sting during the reopening of the Bataclan in Paris. It's very emotional, but somehow, I don't see that one win.

This one has a chance. But my favourite would still be "The Empty Chair". Your turn now.

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm going to go with "City of Stars".
    City of stars, it is a lock.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    City of Stars.
    Given the razzia La La Land made on the BAFTA, I guess this will be the movie of the year for the Oscars as well.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    And the Oscar for Best Picture goes to La La Land Oh No wait a moment !......
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I forgot it was even on tonight. It feels good to go cold turkey on the awards.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The Oscars have not been much in evidence here this time around I had to dig to find this thread
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm disgusted. Only one statue for Arrival and several more for La la Land? I recognise the skill that went into La la Land but it really isn't that good. Had that film been released in the days of Fred Astaire, it would have been mocked.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    :-O

:))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice to see the Oscars are organised on the same level as a local school raffle. :D
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,449
    That is so embarrassing. Whoever handed Warren the wrong envelope... my condolences go out to his or her family. ;-)
  • I can't take the Oscar's seriously due to the voting system, this at least brought a semblance of humanity to proceedings.
    I can't take the Oscar's seriously due to the voting system, this at least brought a semblance of humanity to proceedings.

That's two things the Oscars and the American presidential elections have in common then. ;-) The awkward voting system and the fact that they screwed up. ;-)

It reminds me of the ending to " The naked gun 3" .. which now looks like a
    Documentary. ;)
    This country sent men to the moon!! just a horrible mess up
  • The build up to the reveal that the wrong best picture was announced was funny, the Blah Blah Land crew were gracious in defeat.
    Forget refugees, and victims of war, we now know who the real victims are, those
    Poor Hollywood celebs :D They should issue a new colour ribbon, in support.
    @Thunderpussy, indeed. :)

@patb, no - no - no, it says on the internet that never happened. It was all staged. And if it's on the internet, it must be true, right! I mean, Kubrick never received his oscar for staging that moon landing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    What a monumental embarrassment. I'm glad Moonlight won because it really deserved to win but the mix up error should not have happened. For shame.

• Feels like a SNL sketch well done Emma Stone
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Oscar mixup was a complete disgrace, courtesy of PwC, where I used to work years ago. What a sham. They should not have let that happen. It's what they're paid for. Beatty was actually pretty sharp up there initially when he hesitated but then Dunaway called it.
  • Clyde passed the live grenade to Bonnie
    Its the kind of mix up you may expect at a kids talent contest in the village hall. I would love to know how much PWC charged for their services.
    Good call, @patb. It does ooze a lot of amateurish incompetence.

@bondjames, interesting. What kind of work did you do there?
    The only thing missing was a host Calling out the number plate of a car, that
    Was blocking an exit. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DarthDimi I started with them out of uni in 'audit' and then moved into management consulting.

It's actually a great firm and they've had the Oscars for as long as I can remember. I'm quite sure this incident has really embarrassed them because it's critical that an audit firm not make this kind of mistake. They may even lose the deal because of the public nature of this fiasco.

The auditors in general were out to lunch during the financial crisis as well by the way. I used to audit some of the funds that held all the exotic junk that caused the meltdown and always told the partners I wasn't happy signing off on the files, because we truly didn't understand the risk in a lot of the products that were on the book. When the crisis occurred I felt vindicated, but was also disappointed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My dad must've been bored with whatever else was on TV, so he was there to see it as it happened. I'd forgotten the awards were even on, and only knew it was when I heard him chortling. He said, and I quote, "They plan this thing a year ahead and block off traffic for blocks so the celebrities can get inside the place, but they can't hand someone the right card?"
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    And best picture goes to... Batman v Superman

ben-affleck-oscar.jpg