'Riding through the glen !'..The Robin Hood discussion thread.

edited February 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 19,339
After the suggestion by @Ludovico ,this is a thread to discuss all things to do with the man in the green tights :

Robin Hood is a heroic outlaw in English folklore who, according to legend, was a highly skilled archer and swordsman. Traditionally depicted as being dressed in Lincoln green, he is often portrayed as "robbing from the rich and giving to the poor" alongside his band of Merry Men. Robin Hood became a popular folk figure in the late-medieval period, and continues to be widely represented in literature, films and television.

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Times have changed. Today it is "take from the wretch, give to the peer".
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    There's only one Robin Hood for me.

3f6daa6ec3d9a6568596e9117c1ada44.jpg
    I used to love that film when i was a kid ...
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    There's only one Robin Hood for me.

3f6daa6ec3d9a6568596e9117c1ada44.jpg

+1 Originally it was going to be the folk character Reynard - hence Robin Hood is a fox.
    Btw does anyone know the real reason Costner couldnt be arsed to use an English accent in 'Prince of Thieves' ?
    Is it purely because he didnt think he could do it ?...a major cop-out.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,325
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Btw does anyone know the real reason Costner couldnt be arsed to use an English accent in 'Prince of Thieves' ?

He wanted to but the producers dismissed his dialogue coach before he could fully prepare for the role - or so he claimed in an interview with Premiere Magazine. I think the producers were more keen for him to sound natural and more soften his Californian accent rather than go all the way with an English accent.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    My favourite Robin Hood films are the 1973 Disney version and The Adventures of Robin Hood from 1938.

Did enjoy both Ridley Scott's version and the Mel Brooks spoof to a lesser extent.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is quite mediocre in my book. Though I should give it a rewatch as it has been several years.
    Never knew Ken Curtis, who played Festus in Gunsmoke, voiced one of the vulture guards.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thought you might find this Interesting ??."..
    tanaka123 wrote: »

He wanted to but the producers dismissed his dialogue coach before he could fully prepare for the role - or so he claimed in an interview with Premiere Magazine. I think the producers were more keen for him to sound natural and more soften his Californian accent rather than go all the way with an English accent.

Well they failed in that i think,as he sounds completely American.Surely he/they could have put a bit more effort into it.

Well they failed in that i think,as he sounds completely American.Surely he/they could have put a bit more effort into it.

To be fair to him I'm sure Richard the Lionhearted wouldn't have had a Scottish accent!

To be fair to him I'm sure Richard the Lionhearted wouldn't have had a Scottish accent!

Hahaha he did indeed..that made me chuckle ..

:))
    Are accents really important at all? They didn t speak modern English either in those days.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Are accents really important at all? They didn t speak modern English either in those days.

Well,would an American want Abraham Lincoln or George Washington sounding German ?

Basically,if you are going to undertake a role concerning another country's hero,be it real or not,then do it right or dont do it.

The film was really only a success because of 'Dances with Wolves' and Alan Rickmans stunning performance.

They do in Germany, where they dub the films. It s not something I approve of, but I guess it is similar to translating a book. When I read a book translated from a foreign language to Norwegian, I never actually believe the characters are speaking Norwegian.

Richard Lionheart may not have spoken a single word of English. POT is the worst Robin Hood movie: it does not even try to be believable historically and it has an utterly unheroic Robin Hood. It took the BBC tv series to find a worse take on the legend.

Anyway I don't want to dwell on the manure. The Errol Flynn movie can still give lessons on how to make believable yet very entertaining action adventure, with soul. For me it is the definitive Robin Hood movie. And I have a soft spot for the old comic book from Pif Gadget that I thought was very well done.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I used to love the original TV series with Michael Praed and Ray Winstone..i was hooked to that every week..great score to it as well : " Robin...the hooded man..."

It suffered a bit when Praed left and Sean Connery's son,Jason,took over,but it was still very good.
    Who can forget the classic 'Maid Marian and Her Merry Men'?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096642/
    I had.

And now I've remembered.

Thank you!!
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    I used to love the original TV series with Michael Praed and Ray Winstone..i was hooked to that every week..great score to it as well : " Robin...the hooded man..."

It suffered a bit when Praed left and Sean Connery's son,Jason,took over,but it was still very good.

'Robin of Sherwood' - I liked that one too. It incorporated a lot of pagan myth into the tale. It was certainly atmospheric, and that terrific theme tune and score by Clannard has stuck in my mind to this day.

Of course, one of the earliest depictions of Robin on TV came in the 1950s with Richard Greene's version, 'The Adventures of Robin Hood which is where the famous 'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen' theme comes from.

I have a feeling that the first depiction of Robin Hood on British television was none other than Patrick Troughton (Doctor Who 2) in a version for children. That was understandably simplistic with some of the backdrops simply being painted onto cloth - and occasionally appearing the wrong way round! (ah, the perils of live TV)

I have never been keen on Pagan elements in Robin Hood. This is not Beowulf after all. Make it straight medieval adventures with a good enough dose of historical authenticity to make it believable. Oh and keep the Lincoln green clothes! Middle Ages fashion were not all black, brown and grey for crying out loud!
    The Sheriff of Nottingham has fared better with actors that Robin i think : Basil Rathbone,Robert Shaw,Alan Rickman....3 fantastic actors,all no longer with us alas.
    Rickman's sheriff was overrated imo.
    And this parody of BBC's Robin Hood pretty much sums up what was so wrong about it:
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    And this parody of BBC's Robin Hood pretty much sums up what was so wrong about it:

That was hilarious! :)
    Rickman's sheriff was overrated imo.

Never, ever say that around my mum.
    Your mum is right...he hammed it up ,but didnt everyone in that film ? ...he outdid Costner in EVERY scene they were in.
    Your mum is right...he hammed it up ,but didnt everyone in that film ? ...he outdid Costner in EVERY scene they were in.

And that is a HUGE issue with the film. Nobody should be cooler than Robin Hood. Sure, the sheriff should be menacing and cunning but not cool.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

That was hilarious! :)

Sadly the original was barely different.
    It's easy to hate on prince of thieves but it's a good telling of a great story. Considering there's so many tick boxes with Robin Hood I thought it did a good job. Plus I was 15 when it came out so maybe I have slightly rose tinted glasses.

Getting hung up on Costner accent though. To me that's all par of the fun. It would have seemed out of place in robin of sherwood, but it was an unashamedly Hollywood retelling