DC Announces Watchmen Prequels

edited February 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 584
http://comics.ign.com/articles/121/1217662p1.html
ign wrote:
The project, as expected, has zero involvement from original Watchmen creators Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, but does feature a multitude of the industry's best creative talent. The title of the project is officially "Before Watchmen" and will consist of 7 mini-series of various lengths, all inter-connected and set in the time before the original story.

Are you kidding me?

Comments

More prequels!!!!!! What a surprise!
  • I don't get why we need this at all, even a prequel, when most if not all of the character's stories are finished from start to end.
    These will be absolute crap, and DC are stabbing Alan Moore in the back after they promised him they would not do any follow ups to Watchmen. Don't buy it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    BLASPHEMY! Watchmen is my bible! How dare they ruin such a magnificent piece of art. I just disgust you anymore DC. Wait till I get to break the news to my friend who makes it an annual tradition to read Watchmen. You'll all he able to hear his screams.

There's only one man to turn to in this ordeal...
    [img]BLASPHEMY! Watchmen is my bible! How dare they ruin such a magnificent piece of art. I just disgust you anymore DC. Wait till I get to break the news to my friend who makes it an annual tradition to read Watchmen. You'll all he able to hear his screams. As Rorschach would say:[/img]Hurm...
    Well, it's noty as if Alan Moore's hasn't been doing just that himself: League of Extraordianry Gentlemen, anyone ? I'm sure Ian Fleming would have disapproved of the portrayal of his hero in The Black Dossier. Or how about Lost Girls ? So he shouldn't complain. Turnaround is fair play, you know? And there's some great talent involved in all this. I'm in.
  • Gerard wrote:
    Well, it's noty as if Alan Moore's hasn't been doing just that himself: League of Extraordianry Gentlemen, anyone ? I'm sure Ian Fleming would have disapproved of the portrayal of his hero in The Black Dossier. Or how about Lost Girls ? So he shouldn't complain. Turnaround is fair play, you know? And there's some great talent involved in all this. I'm in.

I know - no doubt they have some good writers and artists, but my concern is why must it be a prequel. The story's already been fleshed out, I would've personally preferred one-shots or spinoffs.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Does Alan Moore even do comics anymore?

I've never read all of the original Watchmen (the movie is about all I've got, but I did read at least the first four issues, I can't remember if there was any division in the trade paperback I was reading), but I'm somewhat looking forward to these, mainly for Rorschach (he was the best character).
    This summer, DC Entertainment will publish all-new stories expanding on the acclaimed WATCHMEN universe. As highly anticipated as they are controversial, the seven inter-connected prequel mini-series will build on the foundation of the original WATCHMEN, the bestselling graphic novel of all time. BEFORE WATCHMEN will be the collective banner for all seven titles, from DC Comics.

"It's our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant," said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. "After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original."

Stepping up to the challenge is a group of the comic book industry's most iconoclastic writers and artists – including Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS), Lee Bermejo (JOKER), Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL), Darwyn Cooke (JUSTICE LEAGUE: NEW FRONTIER), John Higgins (WATCHMEN), Adam Hughes (CATWOMAN), J.G. Jones (FINAL CRISIS), Andy Kubert (FLASHPOINT), Joe Kubert (SGT. ROCK), Jae Lee (BATMAN: JEKYLL AND HYDE), J. Michael Straczynski (SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE) and Len Wein (SWAMP THING).

BEFORE WATCHMEN includes:
    •RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
    •MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
    •COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
    •DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
    •NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
    •OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
    •SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called CURSE OF THE CRIMSON CORSAIR, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a CRIMSON CORSAIR story by Wein and Higgins.

"The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire," said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.

"Comic books are perhaps the largest and longest running form of collaborative fiction," said DiDio and Lee. "Collaborative storytelling is what keeps these fictional universes current and relevant."
  • was it just me but i thought watchmen was poor.........
    gaz4007 wrote:
    was it just me but i thought watchmen was poor.........

You should be careful saying things like that on here as I've seen many a comment before talking about how highly they rate it.

Personally I love the novel and got sucked in even further when they announced the film. But at the same time I can understand why some people just dont 'get it'.

I'll not be anywhere near these continuations novels or whatever they're calling them.
    Steven wrote:
    gaz4007 wrote:
    Personally I love the novel and got sucked in even further when they announced the film. But at the same time I can understand why some people just dont 'get it'.

Some people get it but just think that the comics and/or the movie is overrated and not worth any further effort.

The critism that you have to "get it" in order to enjoy it is elitist bollocks. Not everybody has to like something. Watchmen is an aquired taste, and while I enjoy comics I prefer other titles Moore.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    *SIGH* I have contacted DC comics any way I could find, in an act to vent my anger over the decision. I'll be looking for more ways to contact them, namely more e-mails and letters on their main site. By my count I've only broken 2 Terms of Conditions as of yet. :-w

hurm.gif?w=500
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 105
    SaintMark wrote:
    Steven wrote:
    gaz4007 wrote:

Some people get it but just think that the comics and/or the movie is overrated and not worth any further effort.

The critism that you have to "get it" in order to enjoy it is elitist bollocks. Not everybody has to like something. Watchmen is an aquired taste, and while I enjoy comics I prefer other titles Moore.

I meant 'get it' in the same way i mean 'enjoy it' - I wasn't trying to say i'm better for liking. Apologies if that came across the wrong way.
    My apologies for reacting so strong then, I prefer his League of Extraordinary men a lot moore.
    SaintMark wrote:
    My apologies for reacting so strong then, I prefer his League of Extraordinary men a lot moore.

Even "The Black Dossier" ?
    Gerard wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Even "The Black Dossier" ?

Have not been able to get my hands on that one. Is it any good?

SaintMark wrote:
    Have not been able to get my hands on that one. Is it any good?

How can I put it?

As long as Bond isn't in it, it's pretty fine. But once Bond appears, there are lots of things to say, and none of it is polite. Alan Moore seems to think that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, is all I can say about it. And of course he's wrong.