Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Nice!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Awesome, @Master_Dahark! That must've been a cool crafts project for you. How'd you make the bionic arm?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Thanks @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7!
    It's actually just the human arm painted red, but I did take a blade and exposed the ball joint in the wrist (since Snake's bionic arm has that big ball joint anyway), and chipped away to give it more protruding knuckles.
    It's crude but I figure at this scale it looks pretty good!

14238203_10101023195604981_3562735265626162945_n.jpg?oh=f73fabcbfc38f3dc478e5712377ed3cb&oe=583D9CE2

If I ever get my hands on a 3D printer though, watch out for me!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Master_Dahark, if I had access to a 3D printer I'd be going nuts too. I'd start out by designing, printing and painting all 6 Bond actors in a staged fight with a homemade set, probably, then who knows where I'd take it next.

For my sanity, it's a good thing items such as those printers are so pricy. I'd give all my time over to it, forgetting to eat, sleep, etc.
    That would make a cool DLC for Phantom Pain (like the zombies from Red Dead Redemption, now that's how you do DLC!!), not a whole game.

Interesting- after seeing some new gameplay footage today, it appears that's exactly what it is!

That does soften the blow a bit, I'll admit. Now that I know this isn't a $60 stand-alone game, we'll see what the price of this DLC is. It might be worth 10 or 15 bucks honestly.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The gameplay actually looked pretty boring to me. I wasn't expecting anything to make me want to make the leap, but I didn't expect it to be boring.
    @Agent007391 and @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 if you like the Venom Snake I made, check out NAKED SNAKE!!
    I think he turned out MUCH better!

14264174_10101036059725181_975944876960935430_n.jpg?oh=e0b6b20d25f297f5b843e720146d4919&oe=587037B1
    14470587_10101036059720191_7020476654077653635_n.jpg?oh=f0836fe415aaac5053443596301b79d8&oe=586F0277
    14369887_10101036059730171_5670954471564581940_n.jpg?oh=757c65c196990bbef0cc3dac3f1e49e1&oe=586DFB81

♪♪ I'm still in a dream, SNAKE EATER ♪♪

14449911_10101036059864901_273645956739502121_n.jpg?oh=33f5bcd354265d5533a029deedef9f46&oe=586665D2
    14449742_10101036066825951_6176128751626013930_n.jpg?oh=282635fe0670c26d4b0b266e6a6a8ebd&oe=5873F52A
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2016 Posts: 16,328
    I need to save up to get the new Figma MGS2 snake. I have the old MacFarlane one.
    7PqzHutl.jpg
    aB91W7zl.jpg
    0Sorrxbl.jpg

And I just realize I posted these same pictures 2 pages ago. =))
    Cool @Master_Dahark! Is that a Rambo figure you made it from?

Nice Tumblr as well, by the way. ;)
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Cool @Master_Dahark! Is that a Rambo figure you made it from?

Nice Tumblr as well, by the way. ;)
    It is Rambo and Commando. These Neca figs are nice because if you dip them in boiling water they soften and come apart very easily!

As for the Tumbler, that's my 1/18 shelf! Above it I have the 1964 Aston Martin and 1989 Batmobile. The black car on the bottom is my own car, lol. I even printed my actual license plate to put on it!
    Murdock wrote: »
    I need to save up to get the new Figma MGS2 snake.
    With a bit of searching that can be found a bit cheaper than when it was new, so you're in luck there. Be warned though: the brand, 'Figma' produces figures that are arguably TOO articulated, with extremely loose joints. Mine won't even stand up without the clear figure stand it comes with. It took five minutes of cursing to get mine in a pose I liked- and simply placing it of the shelf was enough to contort it!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    I need to save up to get the new Figma MGS2 snake.
    With a bit of searching that can be found a bit cheaper than when it was new, so your in luck there. Be warned though: the brand, 'Figma' produces figures that are arguably TOO articulated, with extremely loose joints. Mine won't even stand up without the clear figure stand it comes with. It took five minutes of cursing to get mine in a pose I liked- and simply placing it of the shelf was enough to contort it!

I currently have two figma Figures. Link and Samus, Link is pretty good, He has nice tight joints and perfectly artictulated. Samus on the other hand is loose and her legs fall off easily though I bought her used so that could be why. There are also Figma bootleg figures in circulation that are amazingly cheap in price...and quality. I'll keep a lookout though.
    @Murdock, I wonder what the previous owner used Samus for if the legs fall off...

@Master_Dahark, that is an excellent Naked Snake. By chance, do you have a crocodile cap for him?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2017 Posts: 11,139
    ‘Metal Gear Solid’ Movie Director Jordan Vogt-Roberts Offers Extensive Update, Talks Rating
    “Metal Gear Solid is probably the most important franchise to me on the planet. It is such a genius, idiosyncratic work and being able to spend time with [Hideo] Kojima recently has been like a dream. He’s the best and his whole team is the best. We are working on the script. That is a property that I will fight tooth and nail to make sure is done properly because it’s so easy to screw it up and so easy for a studio to try and make it into G.I. Joe or try and make it into Mission: Impossible or try and make it into something that it’s not. Metal Gear Solid needs to be exactly what it needs to be, which is Metal Gear Solid.”
    “It’s so interesting because unlike a comic book that’s had 40 writers or 100 writers over the course of a decade or two decades or whatever, for decades now Metal Gear Solid has essentially had one voice. So you’re dealing with a highly, highly specific property that’s idiosyncratic to one persona and one person’s point of view and the way in which they interpret sort of culture and Western culture and twist that back around into this super pure amazing property that has a tone that I think is unlike anything else that is out there. I actually think that when people see [Kong] they’ll realize like, ‘Oh tonally there are things that sort of line up with this’ where this can be incredibly serious and dark and intense or it can also be incredibly goofy and kind of take the piss out of itself and be slapstick at times, much like Metal Gear. Luckily there are amazing producers on it, but that’s a property that is so pure and important to my soul, because it’s something that I grew up on, that I would love to shepherd into the film that it needs to be. I think it’d be a massive film, I think it’d be an incredible film, but it needs to be done in a way that completely honors what Metal Gear is because it’s a classic and it’s a seminal work not just in video games, but in media.”
    “I think that for me, I want to make the version of the movie that is most true to what it needs to be, so if that is a Deadpool or Logan route where you go with a smaller budget and you’re able to make it R, great. If you need to blow it out more and really get that bigger budget and go PG-13, I think it could exist in both avenues. There are hyper-violent parts to Metal Gear but I would not necessarily call the hyper-violent part the core element of it versus like the tone and the voice and the philosophies that the characters exhibit. Those characters sort of are these walking philosophies, so I think nailing that part is far more important necessarily than thinking about the rating at this point, because right now we’re just trying to get the best version of it.”
    I can't see this going well, somehow.
    At this point, it could go anywhere. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, and when I do, I'll be ready for disappointment.
    The interesting thing is he's saying all the right things and is full of fanboy passion; something I havn't seen from any other director making such an adaptation but you're right, I just don't see this turning out well. If the new Kong is a hit and this guy gets a lot of creative control then maybe there's hope but I'm not holding my breath.
    The guy seems inspired, but we know how this thing goes, and what studios do to ruin things. I shutter to imagine what Hollywood would do to Snake, Otacon, Liquid, etc.

By the way, how's that MGS zombie game doing? Has it been deleted from existence yet?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,813
    I'm a huge MG fan, but I'm not even sure I want a movie. The games are practically movies themselves- that's a recipe for complaining ("Durrrrrr, why doesn't he use the Solid Snake voice? Durrrrrr")
    With a timeline as out of order as this, where would they even go with a movie? Would they start with the 60's? With Metal Gear Solid (set in 2005)? Cram it all into one movie?
    Or most dangerous of all, a totally new story (sure to piss of half the population).

The Metal Gear games have a movie-like story already, so the way I see it, they could either adapt it into movie form as-is (yawn) or make a whole new story with sprinkles of the MGS lore thrown in (running the risk of being like the Resident Evil movies....)

I'd much rather have them remake Metal Gear 1 & 2 on that awesome Fox Engine. And Snake Eater while they're at it, like on that stupid Pachinko machine.

That said, if they go ahead with it, who would play Snake? Or Big Boss, if they start there?

*edit- a big budget tv show might be better suited. Like 24! Now that could be cool!
    The guy seems inspired, but we know how this thing goes, and what studios do to ruin things. I shutter to imagine what Hollywood would do to Snake, Otacon, Liquid, etc.

By the way, how's that MGS zombie game doing? Has it been deleted from existence yet?

No recent news. Here's hoping it's been canceled. That is not the way to celebrate 30 years of the franchise.
    @Master_Dahark, my exact thoughts were, "the games already feel like films," but I guess that since it looks like the games are going cold now, the owners of the brand are looking for new ways to print money out of Metal Gear, with a movie being their best shot at it.

I totally agree that a miniseries or full-fledged TV series would be best, as the heavy storytelling Kojima used doesn't fit well when it's compacted into a two and a half hour film. I worry that we won't see just a Big Boss or Snake film, but one that tries to tell both their stories as they face off with one another. I think we're heading for one messy, messy script, unless they do it right.

My feelings on this are the same as my feelings on the Uncharted movie that thankfully can't get off the ground. The games are playable movies, we don't need that!

The people that think this will get them instant money are delirious, as it's far from a sure thing, especially in this box office climate. The Metal Gear fans will eat them alive if they don't do this properly.
    A Netflix series with an appropriate budget would make a killer Metal Gear series. The binge watching format would work in its benefit, as well.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I thought MGS was about sneaking? Are they seriously making a movie about that?

MGS is more than just "sneaking".
    @Mendes4Lyfe, it certainly has stealthy aspects to it, yes. And that's the issue that you're pointing out.

Hollywood recently did a film based on the Hitman games, which are all about a stealthy killer taking out contracts and doing it silently. But instead of adapting the idea of the games, they made the Hitman character an action hero, depicting him shooting things up in a very noisy way to get his targets. To get butts in seats, Hollywood sacrifices the stealth elements of these game worlds for big stunts and loud action until it's impossible to recognize that they're based off the source material.

MGS is more than just stealth, but part of the idea of the games is to realize an objective with silence, and that doesn't exactly make for a strong blockbuster. That's partly why I think the studio investing in this film will ruin the vision of those trying to do right by the license, as they think audiences will be too bored by the story as it's intended to be.

Plus, MGS is a messy, complex narrative journey that I don't think audiences would ever be ready for. You can't condense the rise and fall of Big Boss, the creation of the clones, the journey of Snake and his ultimate conclusion into an easily digestible film or set of films that are only a couple of hours long, and expect it all to be comprehensible. That's why the stories could only work as games, which give you the time to build the characters, the world they inhabit and their overall journeys.
    Happy birthday, Hideo Kojima.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Happy Birthday to the master

CYVKO5bWYAANa5i.jpg
    He should really have a mug like that made.
    Kojima san is a legend and a true creative hero.
    This gave me a chuckle!

uqDqfyu.jpg
    I just discovered that Barry Dennen, the voice of Fatman in MGS2, died on September 26.