Was old Q a bad boss?

gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
in Bond Movies Posts: 153
This might be a case of overthinking and I'll acknowledge that now. But I have always been bothered by a scene in TWINE where Q tells John Cleese's "R" that "you are not here to think... you are here to do as I tell you". On the face of it, Q is being a dick by saying that to another person. Admittedly, R was obnoxious but the putdown from Q was uncalled for.
Does anyone else agree that this line either was a poor reflection on Q or just lazy writing? Or am I way overthinking this?
Be gentle folks!

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think R was trying to be a showoff to Bond basically trying to be Q2 and Q wasn't impressed.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Way overthinking. The Desmond Llewelyn Q simply realised that the John Cleese Q ("R") just shouldn't be there because he was just a bumbling idiot. And since he couldn't simply fire him and save the series from his cringe-inducing appearance, which fortunately was in those two bottom-end movies only, he tried to put him in his place. Well done.
  • John Cleese was to replace Llewelyn who was retiring from the series. That scene was a good chuckle, with Q, the senior man, exercising his position as head of Q Branch, and while not particularly “touchy-feely”, it was appropriate. As Commander of Q Branch, he demands the respect of his rank and position, and just as he always says to Bond “do grow up… and pay attention 007”. He lets the new assistant know, who does the thinking and who needs to open their eyes and shut their mouth. It was a clever joke in the dialogue exchange as many often are in the Bond movies. Some are better than others (individual preferences vary no doubt), but on the whole all of the Bond movies work well.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Give me good old Q any day I've worked for a lot worse in my time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I believe Q was just checking the obnoxiousness and self-inflated ego of R. I can't quite remember the scene because TWINE is my worst Bond film and so hardly viewed, but I seem to recall R making some comments which indicated that he knew of Bond. Perhaps he had been told of his methods and approach by a frustrated Q in the past.

Sensing that R was attempting to be all high and mighty with 007 on his first meeting, Q takes the opportunity to put him in his place, and reset the relationship. I found it highly amusing & touching, because it showed Q's respect for Bond despite all of the palaver he had caused him over the years..
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,325
    I think it's called humour. The scene was written to be funny. Not side-splitting funny, but you know, comic. I wouldn't take that scene too seriously.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, it was a joke with a jag in it. Nothing more. Reading too much into it, I'm afraid for the reasons put forward so expertly above.
  • Think of all the times throughout the years when Q uses his employees as targets or test dummies. "It was just a joke" in 1977, today it could indeed be considered harassment.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Think of all the times throughout the years when Q uses his employees as targets or test dummies.
    Haven't you ever wondered about the term "Human Resources"?
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Think of all the times throughout the years when Q uses his employees as targets or test dummies.
    Haven't you ever wondered about the term "Human Resources"?

I don't need to wonder. I already KNOW...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Way overthinking. The Desmond Llewelyn Q simply realised that the John Cleese Q ("R") just shouldn't be there because he was just a bumbling idiot.

He got his vengeance in the next film. The invisible car is on a completely different level from anything Boothroyd came up with. I suspect Boothroyd was just jealous of his superiority.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Way overthinking. The Desmond Llewelyn Q simply realised that the John Cleese Q ("R") just shouldn't be there because he was just a bumbling idiot.

He got his vengeance in the next film. The invisible car is on a completely different level from anything Boothroyd came up with. I suspect Boothroyd was just jealous of his superiority.

This. We all know Cleese was the best Q and it's a well known fact that the invisible car is the greatest thing to ever happen in a Bond film, nay, in any film.

We all know Cleese was the best Q and it's a well known fact that the invisible car is the greatest thing to ever happen in a Bond film, nay, in any film.
    Is this the official introduction of alternative facts into 007 discussions?
  • The closing of the political threads will have unexpected repercussions throughout this forum. Well intentioned members will plead for the mods to relent and re-open the Pro & Anti Trump threads, but it will be too late....BWA-HA-HA! Too late!!!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    We all know Cleese was the best Q and it's a well known fact that the invisible car is the greatest thing to ever happen in a Bond film, nay, in any film.
    Is this the official introduction of alternative facts into 007 discussions?

No, it's just fake news again. Better flag it! ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

This. We all know Cleese was the best Q and it's a well known fact that the invisible car is the greatest thing to ever happen in a Bond film, nay, in any film.