X-Men (2000 - 20)

edited June 2019 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,745
The movie famed on these forums for proving Fassbender could be Bond now has its very own sequel in the works.

So far the only people attached are Matthew Vaugn, veteran director of the first film, and scribe Simon Kinberg.

The movie deal was made under a new contract with 20th Century Fox's Production President Emma Watt's deal for a few more years at the helm.

Excited? I am. Hopefully everybody's now busy schedule clears up enough space for the likes of Fassbender, McAvoy, Hoult, and the rest of the gang to make a return.

Comments

Just read about this on another site - I'm well chuffed. Like you say hopefully they can get everyone's schedule clear soon.

I'm also really happy that Matthew Vaughn is back - definitely one of my favourite directors working today!!
    Good news ! More January Jones please!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    timmer wrote:
    Good news ! More January Jones please!

Well Mad Men season 5 starts in 2 months so you'll get plenty of her there too ! ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Great to know that it's really going ahead now, progress is being made. With this and The Wolverine now full stream ahead will Deadpool ever get made?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Well Mad Men season 5 starts in 2 months

About damn time! I've sure missed that show; it's shows like that which make me long for a new Bond film set in the 60's. Fassbender would be great for that BTW
    I think X-Men First Class demonstrated that a retro Bond-film complete with escapist elements and set design would be quite do-able.
    Eon might want to consider such an idea as a side film project, or even a decent-budget, cable tv series.
    Deadpool has a director in Tim Miller, but that was announced a while ago. I wonder if that will ever be made. If it does, it should not be a part of the X Men universe and just be its own thing. X Men Origins Wolverine never happened....

As for First Class 2 (or whatever it will be called), GREAT news. Although if Vaughn didn't return, they could always have asked Singer to direct it. I was upset when he stepped back as director for First Class but everything worked out great with Vaughn. And I'm just glad this is being made at all with FIrst Class doing only ok at the box office. I'll be following this film very closely
    timmer wrote:
    I think X-Men First Class demonstrated that a retro Bond-film complete with escapist elements and set design would be quite do-able.
    Eon might want to consider such an idea as a side film project, or even a decent-budget, cable tv series.

You mean keep the movies contemporary while at the same time have a Bond TV show that's set in the 60's?

LOVE IT
    The more Bond the merrier!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Great to know that it's really going ahead now, progress is being made. With this and The Wolverine now full stream ahead will Deadpool ever get made?

There is supposedly an 8-minute test footage clip to see how good the film would turn out. Supposedly the original writer of Deadpool came out and said it kicked ass so, if all is true, they will probably move forward with it.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    As for First Class 2 (or whatever it will be called)

Empire joked it would be called 'XMEN: Second Class' and I lol'd.
    You mean keep the movies contemporary while at the same time have a Bond TV show that's set in the 60's?

LOVE IT
    Yep basically, or have two concurrent film series, but that could get tricky, as they would compete with each other. Or maybe alternate retro with contemporary releases, or just mix-it up.
    But a Bond-retro cable series might work, and not compete with the bigger budget film series.

timmer wrote:

LOVE IT
    Yep basically, or have two concurrent film series, but that could get tricky, as they would compete with each other. Or maybe alternate retro with contemporary releases, or just mix-it up.
    But a Bond-retro cable series might work, and not compete with the bigger budget film series.

Only hiccup would be, if I were TV Bond, I'd be jealous of Movie Bond, and possibly vice versa. You'd have people constantly comparing the two actors and it'd be kind of really annoying and stressful. You also couldn't get the same actor to do both in this day and age, especially someone like Craig, who enjoys mixing up his projects.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Only hiccup would be, if I were TV Bond, I'd be jealous of Movie Bond, and possibly vice versa. You'd have people constantly comparing the two actors and it'd be kind of really annoying and stressful. You also couldn't get the same actor to do both in this day and age, especially someone like Craig, who enjoys mixing up his projects.
    You are right. There is real potential for conflict, especially with two actors playing the same iconic part, and both hired by the same production company. It might work, but there is real potential for discord.
    It would be nice though if post Craig, if one actor would just commit to playing both gigs. (cable and big feature films) There are worse ways to make a living. ;)
    Might be possible though if you get the right actor. Trick is to find a young actor, like 28-30, whose happy to work now, and would put off the "need "for other projects, until he's fat, fortyish and financially comfortable.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I hope they get a villain as good as Kevin Bacon was as Sebastian Shaw (Apocalypse would be a great choice). And, another awesome Wolverine cameo.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 5,745
    When do we think it will be released?

2014.. 2015?
    It would one of those years, yes. I'm sure Fox want the trilogy done as soon as can be.
    Lauren Donner said that X Men 4 and 5 were in the works as well with Bryan Singer as director. I assume this will happen when the First Class trilogy is done
    http://blastr.com/2011/03/producer-reveals-there-wi.php

That article is from last March but with the success of First Class, you gotta think that FOX is all for this
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    After the current two films and Deadpool are done I would think. With X-Men it's a case of getting in the queue I think. They are surely many more films to come in later years.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Wolverine is also in either pre-production or production at the moment.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i've been wanting Apocalypse and The Four Horsemen for a long time in an Xmen movie..

would love to see me some sentinels as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,686
    I've never seen any of the Xmens film before... looks like I have to catch up on the fun !
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I've never seen any of the Xmen film before... looks like I have to catch up on the fun !

X1 and X2 are terrific, X2 being my personal favorite..

X3 - meh... it has some good fighting scenes, in particular one that takes place at a house is probably the best part of the entire movie - but you can feel the rush job all over this one.

X-Men Origins : Wolverine - pretty much a waste of time for me... most the dialog is horrendous, and the CGI effects are equally as bad a times.

That's all very true haserot!

DC007-- you might have a unique opportunity, since you haven't seen any of them yet:
    try watching First Class FIRST!
    When I saw that in the theatre, I watched the first X-Men that weekend and enjoyed it in a whole new light (particularly the Erik/Charles relationship)
    Ok Master_Dahark I'll watch First Class first, then proceed with X1, X2 and X3... should I really not watch Origins : Wolverine ?
  • As long as you know going in that it's not good, you should be alright. Jackman is great as usual
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Ok Master_Dahark I'll watch First Class first, then proceed with X1, X2 and X3... should I really not watch Origins : Wolverine ?

no, you shouldn't.... but that is my opinion - i fell asleep during it in theater, and didn't rewatch it until it came to DVD - so i was able to catch up on all the stuff i fell asleep during.............. which still didn't do much to sway my opinion of the film lol..... if you want a better Wolverine experience, go rent the video game based on the movie - it royally urinates all over the film lol.

you really wouldn't hurt yourself starting with either First Class or X1 - it's just preference.... like someone new into Star Wars deciding to either watch EP4 or EP1 first.... it doesn't matter in the end, but I always tend to go for what was released first lol.
    Don't mention Star Wars, haserot, I have yet to see the original trilogy (only seen the new ones in theater)..... ;)
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Don't mention Star Wars, haserot, I have yet to see the original trilogy (only seen the new ones in theater)..... ;)
    !!!!!! go rent the originals NOW!!... so much better than the prequel trilogy...

in all fairness to the prequel trilogy, only 1 of them was horrible - and it was for varying reasons..... and that is the one currently being rereleased in 3D..... EP2 i thought was okay... but i think EP3 is the only one that truly deserves to be put aside the originals..

my one problem is that I think they made Anakin/Vader too young in EP1, and throughout the entire trilogy - in the end, it's George's vision, but I always pictured Anakin when he turned darkside to be in his mid 30s, not mid 20s.. as it would help explain a lot more of what Obi Wan describes of him in the original trilogy...... but i could go on forever with this topic... much like any debate on Indiana Jones or James Bond - as Star Wars makes out 3rd piece in my holy trinity of films lol.

• Not trying to change direction of the thread, but I just wanted to mention one little thing that I had brought up on another board, and everyone liked the idea:
    * lose 'Phantom Menace'
    * Attack of the Clones becomes Episode I (with some changes obviously-- most importantly, Anakin is 'good' the whole movie- he and Obi-Wan are much closer friends, etc )
    * Revenge of the Sith becomes Episode II (again, with some minor changes)
    * A totally new Episode III that's FULL of Darth Vader!!

Episode I could have easily never happened as far as I'm concerned. I used to be a HUGE Star Wars fan before it came out and ruined everything
    Not trying to change direction of the thread, but I just wanted to mention one little thing that I had brought up on another board, and everyone liked the idea:
    * lose 'Phantom Menace'
    * Attack of the Clones becomes Episode I (with some changes obviously-- most importantly, Anakin is 'good' the whole movie- he and Obi-Wan are much closer friends, etc )
    * Revenge of the Sith becomes Episode II (again, with some minor changes)
    * A totally new Episode III that's FULL of Darth Vader!!

Episode I could have easily never happened as far as I'm concerned. I used to be a HUGE Star Wars fan before it came out and ruined everything

agreed.... Phantom Menace had some good stuff in it.... but where it jumped the shark - nuked the fridge if you will... is when it described the force, as essentially bacteria with super powers.... couldn't have been one thing left to be a mystery? - if he wants to explain the origins of everything else, that is fine.... but that was one thing that I thought wasn't needed, and ruins the whole mystique...

but one thing is, I would not have killed Darth Maul in EP1.. he should've killed Qui-Gon, made an escape - and had been brought back for EP2 and then EP3 where he gets killed - in essence, taking over the parts that Count Dooku essentially had - Plus a Maul/Yoda fight would've been much more bad ass! lol..... i love Christopher Lee - but I truly felt like there were just too many Sith running around - especially after Yoda says "only 2 there are, no more, no less."

but i do agree with your relignment of the prequels... maybe age Anakin up a bit too, then we'd be all set.. and it draw nice parallels to the original trilogy and the sequence of events as well.

i am trying not to say too much, so i dont spoil anything for DC007
    @DC007
    In my opinion, watch X1-X3 first because one of the many joys of First Class is seeing nods to that trilogy. Just keep in mind that First Class ignores a lot of things in X3, so it is really a prequel to the first two Bryan Singer films in my opinion.

And yes don't bother watching X Men Origins Wolverine because it's just a mess of a film and you get enough of Wolverine's backstory in X2 to understand everything.