Eurospy films

edited January 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,241
Could not find an existing thread on eurospy films. If there's another thread on the subject, please let me know. :)
Over the years I've stumbled over a few eurospy films, without really taking the effort to find out more about the number of 007-inspired films made during the sixties.

With that in mind, I thought it could be fun to start a thread about eurospy films. Maybe there's some interesting fun facts to know, some films to be on the lookout for etc.

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Are these films generally subtitled or are they in English? If the latter, then I'm quite interested to hear more myself.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I believe we did have a thread like that I might have started out a few years back... Nevertheless, an awesome topic! Thought I was the only one who loved EuroSpy films.
    @bondjames, some films are available dubbed to English by fans (a la the old OSS 117 films), some are available on DVD with their original English translations, but subtitles are hardly available.

Oh, the Dick Malloy and Bob Fleming films... :D
    Thanks @ClarkDevlin. I just googled this genre and learnt that most were of Italian origin. I'm not too familiar with these. Would Operation Kid Brother fall under this category?
    @bondjames, some films are available dubbed to English by fans (a la the old OSS 117 films), some are available on DVD with their original English translations, but subtitles are hardly available.

Those I've seen were in English, most of them starring American actor Ken Clark (who was working in Italy during the sixties). Other than that, I don't know.
    Yes, @bondjames. Operation Kid Brother is definitely a EuroSpy. Some are serious, some are too Thunderball/YOLT, and some are downright Matt Helm/Derek Flint imitators with more ridiculousness than you'd predict, which isn't to say is always bad. For example, David Niven's Where The Spies Are is a cheap EuroSpy film that is average despite being "serious".

Those I've seen were in English, most of them starring American actor Ken Clark (who was working in Italy during the sixties). Other than that, I don't know.
    Yes, the Agent 077 films are in English, though the original Italian is also there. Man, loved Ken Clark as Dick Malloy. American bulky James Bond. Although, the best installment is still the third one, Operation Lady Chaplin co-starring our very own Daniela Bianchi as the titular character the main protagonist chases. Even the theme song is so Bondian!

Here's the song (for those who don't know):

@bondjames, here's the trailer:

There are too many others, like Roger Browne starring in many EuroSpy films as different characters, all superspy Bond knockoffs Connery style, of course. There even are superhero genres mixed with EuroSpy (like Danger Diabolik) that are by far better than Batman '66 for example. Roger Browne stars in one of them. So many to discuss, so little time!
    Thanks again @ClarkDevlin. I'm down for anything Bondian in style, and certainly anything starring Bianchi (I've only seen her in FRWL)! I look forward to hearing of other entries in this genre as this thread progresses, and will seek some of the more glamorous ones out where possible.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @bondjames - I got my info from this guy. Surely not easy to get along with but he has some vast knowledge in spy films...

http://classicbond.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3608

This book also helps. I bought it a couple of years ago and don't regret a dollar I spent on it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Eurospy-Guide-Matt-Blake/dp/1887664521
    Great link @ClarkDevlin. Thanks for that. Lots of information there, and I will review.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Here you have one complete and in English: That Man From Istanbul (Estambul 65)

With Horst Bucholz, Silva Koscina or Klaus Kinski. Very fun and entertaining.
    I have, @ggl007! And it's enjoyable as heck! :D

My favorite part:
    Horst looks at the camera and says: "What? Me Worry?"

Haha! Priceless! :))
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for posting. Silvia Koscina is a total babe. I've always thought she should have been in a 60's Bond film. I sought out and purchased Agent 8+3/4 (aka Hot Enough For June) purely for her, and am also trying to get my hands on The Secret War of Harry Frigg for the same reason.
    @bondjames, she does appear alongside Elle Sommer in Deadlier Than The Male, too. The film that briefly revived Bulldog Drummond, played by former Bond contender, Richard Johnson.

@MajorDSmythe? Your favorite Bond film is being talked about. C'mere! ;)
    Thanks again @ClarkDevlin. I didn't know about that one. I'll be purchasing it sometime today. I notice it's available on region B blu ray but not region A. I'm increasingly annoyed by this sort of thing and will have to invest in an all region blu ray player shortly. They should pass a rule outlawing these region locks.
    Like I said, @bondjames, a perfect guide to learn your EuroSpy is that link I provided about the book written by Matt Blake up there.

A friend of mine just recently released a book about spy films released up until 1989, which is praised by Anthony Horowitz himself. The International Spy Film Guide 1945-1989 by Richard Rhys Davies. Thirty years in the making.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks again @ClarkDevlin. I didn't know about that one. I'll be purchasing it sometime today. I notice it's available on region B blu ray but not region A. I'm increasingly annoyed by this sort of thing and will have to invest in an all region blu ray player shortly. They should pass a rule outlawing these region locks.

Totally agree! There are several films on my must see-list that I've not seen yet for that reason alone. Then there are films that just seem to be hard to get at all, like Where The Spies Are.

Totally agree! There are several films on my must see-list that I've not seen yet for that reason alone. Then there are films that just seem to be hard to get at all, like Where The Spies Are.
    Even though, for a spy film fan and a Bond fan alike, Where The Spies Are is worth seeing. But, at the end, if you're expcting something big out of it, you're going to be disappointed. The poster is definitely misleading considering how the film is written and what it represents.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @bondjames, she does appear alongside Elle Sommer in Deadlier Than The Male, too. The film that briefly revived Bulldog Drummond, played by former Bond contender, Richard Johnson.

@MajorDSmythe? Your favorite Bond film is being talked about. C'mere! ;)

Someone call?

giphy.gif

Ah, Deadlier Than The Male, yes, my honourary Bond film. Richard Johnson ( B-) ), Elke Sommer ( :x ) and the title track, so Bondian. And the humour, is just sooo perfect.

The 2nd 60's Drummond film, Some Girls Do... uh... it's not dire, but it veers a little too much into campness. Deadler Than The Male, while displaying a sense of humour, isn't a spy prarody, imo.
    Very very well said!

Even though, for a spy film fan and a Bond fan alike, Where The Spies Are is worth seeing. But, at the end, if you're expcting something big out of it, you're going to be disappointed. The poster is definitely misleading considering how the film is written and what it represents.
    Do hope I find a copy of it sometime. Never seen a movie with David Niven that I didn't like (that's including CR67!).

Didn't Richard Johnson play in a more serious spy film too? Can't seem to remember what it was called...

Do hope I find a copy of it sometime. Never seen a movie with David Niven that I didn't like (that's including CR67!).

Didn't Richard Johnson play in a more serious spy film too? Can't seem to remember what it was called...
    It's not that I didn't like it. It was just too simple compared to what was advertised with a poster that seemed as big as Our Man Flint or Operation Kid Brother. It didn't live up to its image.

And the movie you're looking for is Danger Route. Another of @MajorDSmythe's favourite films I gather.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Let's not forget another classic: The Liquidator

Shirley Bassey!

It's not that I didn't like it. It was just too simple compared to what was advertised with a poster that seemed as big as Our Man Flint or Operation Kid Brother. It didn't live up to its image.

And the movie you're looking for is Danger Route. Another of @MajorDSmythe's favourite films I gather.

That's the one! The movie is available on Youtube, but the quality of the video isn't that good. Do hope, like with Where The Spies Are, they're available somewhere!
    Indeed, @ggl007! :D

And it's based on a novel by John Gardner. That should put every Bond fan on a seat to watch this.

@Torgeirtrap, I don't think either has been released on high quality form of a home video. But, I'll be watching out for it and immediately post a link here when it's available.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Let's not forget another classic: The Liquidator

Shirley Bassey!

From the pen of our very own John Gardner. Seen the film in about 2004 on TCM. Still have it on videotape. I'd love to see it again. Read the novel many years ago. It's a classic!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,882

Yes, indeed. If Deadlier Than The Male shows Johnson to have the charm required for Bond, then Danger Route shows Johnson to have the ruthless edge to be able to pull of scenes like the Prof. Dent scene in Dr No.

That's the one! The movie is available on Youtube, but the quality of the video isn't that good. Do hope, like with Where The Spies Are, they're available somewhere!

I don't know about Where The Spies Are, but Danger Route hasn't been released on any format, not even on one of those MOD DVD labels like the Warner Archive Collection. I bought my DVDr copy of Danger Route from <a href=http://www.stojo.com/>Stojo.com</a>, which looks like the same quality of the copy up on youtube.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,053
    The antithesis of Bond was Callan. Callan was an assassin/spy employed by the British security services who was troubled by his conscience. Played superbly by Edward Woodward.

The film is available on you tube. It's a great watch and I recommend it to everyone. Here's the link:

And the opening titles of the TV show:

The music is rather 'Ipcress File'
    They don't consider Callan a EuroSpy however. Callan is more of a television show that later in the 70s spawned a film adaptation of the pilot when the EuroSpy genre was already dead.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Liquidator film was not Eurospy either as far as I'm aware.
    Depends on your viewpoint. If the British films are part of the European film productions at the time, then it is. If they aren't, like the Americans, they are legitimately their own. That would also jettison CR'67 from the category and Where The Spies Are, alongside the Drummond films.