Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    jake24 wrote: »
    Anyone remember that one week where many of us were convinced Spectre would be called "Mosaic"?

No, can't say that I ever heard that title, though I didn't follow the rumours much. Interesting to know.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Anyone following the Fort Lauderdale situation?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What now?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,586
    Airport shooting. 5 dead, 13 injured.
    Again. Hideous.
    Sad news. More gun controls at US airports are urgently needed.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Swiss are buying hand guns like crazy at the moment, there is a considerabe rise in sales.
    We have quite liberal laws and up to now the Swiss really regulated themselves.
    I think in some years we will have regular shooting incidents as well. There just was one two days ago with two police officers badly hurt, one of them still not sure to survive.
    You have to understand, for Switzerland that is very unusual.
    When it comes to criminality we still are kind of a paradise.
    Switzerland doesn t have a fear based culture.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,882
    I bought a late birthday present to myself, and it arrived a few days ago, but I only got around to putting it up on my wall:

15941364_383634378650760_4685443947981967778_n.jpg?oh=884036178276c57a162a23e0b26cfda3&oe=58E9D97C

Gotta love that art deco style.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I hope that I am correct in posting this here but I wanted to make a reference to it today.

Two years ago today, I lost my mum suddenly to heart failure. She had only just turned 59 on the 3rd. She had had me young, when she was 17.

My mum was a big influence on my life and I will never forget that. I miss her dearly and I will be spending some quality time with her today, tending to her grave etc.

The two years since we lost her have gone by so quickly and it still really hits me hard at times. I know people may say that it gets easier over time but, I'm not sure that is the correct way of putting it. I think that, while it doesn't get any easier, you learn how to cope with it better over time.

Anyway, as we are on a James Bond forum, I have to mention the influence Mum had on me with regards to James Bond. Over all the years since my first introduction to 007 with Moonraker, my mum, even though never being the biggest Bond fan (or so she said, she knew a lot about it in my younger years), she would always talk Bond with me, especially if it was about Connery and rib me about Moore as he has always been my favourite. This went on and on over the years, even at our last Christmas together when she would always give me some stick about 007 being on the tv again. It wasn't just about the movies, she would always buy me a little something Bond related, whether it be for birthday or Christmas and I have quite a collection now of stuff that mum certainly added to over the years. It was fun and I really miss those moments.

So, RIP Mum, I love you and I miss you xx
    The "it gets easier over time" is bulls**t in my opinion.
    I lost my father in 1998 within a few weeks to an aggressive form of leukemia.
    I lost my little brother and my older sister 2004 in a car crash.

@Shark_0f_Largo
    you have this right, you learn how to cope with it better, but you will feel the pain nonetheless.
    I'm sorry if I sound bitter, I may be.

To spend quality time with her on her grave is a very good idea. Do that!

My father was with me when I watched TLD, and LTK for the first time. Those are unforgettable memories, the sweetest kind. I know how proud my father was when he realised I'm turning into a huge Bond fan once I saw TLD.
    Thank you Jason for your words. I'm also very sorry for your losses.

Seems like your dad was a big influence on your Bond fandom, which is lovely.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A review of Turkish Batman and Egyptian Rocky Horror Both have a Bond connection to them. Watch to find out what they are. :))

Batman is a Turkish city.
    Batman is a Turkish city.

'The Batman from Blades' by Philip Larkin, The Times Literary Supplement, May 1981. [Review of John Gardner's Licence Renewed, 1981]

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Shark_0f_Largo, Jason has very saliently pointed out that the line "it gets easier" is a strange wording for the experience that comes with mourning someone's death. It's just a saying we've accepted as what you say to a friend or family member as a sort of social expectation without really understanding the meaning of it anymore, though it does come from a good place, of course. A far better than way to put it, I think, is that it gets easier to live with the pain and loss from day to day, though I don't think the regret or sadness we can feel really dulls in the way some would hope.

More often than not life can be a series of tragedies and pitfalls that one must avoid until death finally comes, whenever that is for each of us, and the only things that make any of it worth it are those who you surround yourself with. It's the wonderful distractions of people, of mothers and fathers, grandfathers and grandmothers, sons and daughters, friends and colleagues that keep our minds away from the worst thoughts we can conjure, and who save us from the anxiety, pain and helplessness we'd feel without them there to pull our gaze away from realizing the inevitability of time and the death and pain that must come to us all at some point in life. It's these people at the end of the day that mean the most, who we learn our most important lessons from and who we share our greatest memories with as we let them into our inner worlds, and they us.

The only real consolation in loss is closure, something that not everybody is lucky to have in situations like this, and that can leave a lasting scar forever. I hope this wasn't the case for you, and you were able to be by your mother's side and appreciate her in her last days, and she you. The biggest losses of my life, my grandfather and grandmother (both my mother's parents), offered me none of that closure, and the anger and pain I feel at that may never properly subside. My grandfather died in what was nearly a catatonic state not knowing who I was anymore or even my grandmother or his children, as he was in the last stages of Alzheimer's when he'd passed and was far, far gone mentally. I hadn't seen him for a long while before that, and when I had one last chance to say goodbye to him on one of my family's visits to his home I decided to just make for the car, as I didn't want the last image I got of him to be one of him looking dead all tangled up in the sheets of his bed. When he died I was in college and couldn't make it to the funeral, another regret I have since that service would've been the last time (though I didn't know it) that I could see my grandmother alive.

My grandmother died barely a year after her husband, partly from a crushed heart that made her unable to have more strength to go on, and my lack of closure was the same. My mother and I usually visited her every summer, but that particular summer I was working and couldn't get vacation time, meaning my mother had to go without me. Just a few months later my grandmother was rushed to the hospital and eventually died, news I got during a phone call at 1 AM from one of her sons, and I had to look my mother in the eyes and tell her that the person that meant the most to her in life had passed on without a goodbye. For the rest of my life I will feel angry and haunted that I didn't get to see her at all during the last year of her life, to get just one last hug or special word from her. My mother got that closure, in a small way during her last visit, and that at least takes some of the edge off.

That's why I say closure is the most important thing in situations like this. There's no easy way to deal with death, and it's the single greatest anxiety and pain we feel as people, but even just being able to say goodbye to those we love before they pass on can be a big deal, and for some, like me, that hasn't been possible. To be able to get that kind of closure, as simple as it may seem, is truly a valuable and beautiful thing.

@Shark_0f_Largo, I hope that you got some form of that closure with your mother before she passed. You are already mourning her properly, remembering all the life and value she brought to your life and the great memories you two shared. At the end of the day, that is all that can be asked, and it goes without saying that she would be immeasurably proud of you. We have her to thank too, in our own way, as she brought you to Bond, and Bond brought you to us. My thoughts are with you in this time, my friend.

Brady
    For some of us Closure is a dream that can only be reached in one way.

Being allowed to say "Goodbye" can be a gift. More often than not people are taken away from us in cruel ways and sometimes unexpected and we can't say Goodbye.

Or like you described @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 they turn into something we cannot longer recognise. I was in the Swiss army serving my long terms when my father got ill. My father had stayed in Bournemouth UK when I and my brother left to return to live in Switzerland.
    When I got the call from my uncle that the Leukemia turned very serious, I went straight from the army base to the airport.
    The man I found in the hospital bed only was a distant shadow of who my father was. I didn't know that a disease could carry off a man in such an inconceivable gruesome way.
    A day later he was dead. I never had the chance to mourn him properly, I went straight back to the army where I was too busy to think about my father, which in a way was lucky for me I guess, because I would have gone mad.
    I may have been ready to deal with it years later but I never got a chance.

As for my brother, we said goodbye. When I got him out of the car and took him into my arms sitting on the street, he looked me in the eyes and begged me not to let him die or leave him alone. Some minute(s) later he told me that he will die now and how much he loved me. My last words were, I love you so much. Then he took his last breath and I felt his heart stop beating. In that instant my heart broke, I literally felt it, and I lost all will to live.

Looking back I am eternally grateful my brother lived for some more minutes. I was able to hold him one last time, feel his warmth and his heart beating. We spoke one last time knowing the end will come. Even if his loss has destroyed me I remember these last moments, they are with me every day of my life. I still feel him.

I wish I had a fraction of your wisdom, Brady. For me death is something cruel that will take away the people I love. On the other hand death is something I will welcome for myself, it will finally reunite me with my loved ones.

I want to add, that it is mainly because of this forum and the people that have become my friends, that I am even able to write such a thing down. I'm shaking doing it, but in no time my humorous, joking self will take over again, humour is pretty much all I have left inside me, and love that I want to share.
    Brady, thank you so much for those words. . Reading them brought me to tears. Unfortunately, I never managed to get that closure with my mum. It was very sudden and as I was at work, as I was rushing home, my brother said she wasn't going to make it. . As it was, my mum passed in the ambulance on her way to the hospital. Despite not getting the closure then, I do always get to chat with her when I visit her grave. I do have a right chat and I have even spoke to her about Spectre, haha. I always imagine what she'll be thinking. I do take great comfort in having my chats with her and I won't stop.

Jason, as with you, I have friends that have helped me through and with the people of this community, I have the confidence to let things out. . I am generally a very private person so a you guys on here deserve a lot of credit for me opening up. Cheers.
    Was thrilled to hear the first new Gorillaz song in several years - Hallelujah Money. Seems to be getting quite a mixed reaction, but I personally enjoy it a lot. Very much has the Gorillaz feel.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Was thrilled to hear the first new Gorillaz song in several years - Hallelujah Money. Seems to be getting quite a mixed reaction, but I personally enjoy it a lot. Very much has the Gorillaz feel.

Interesting news. Didn't know they were still around. Not heard their new song yet.
    Couldn't log on all day. What the heck?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,151
    Same here. Not only problems either, not been able to get my Yahoo emails today either.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Couldn't log on all day. What the heck?

No, neither could I earlier on. The site must have been down?
    A special assassination squad has been tracking certain members. Nothing to worry about. :-L
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    Yes it was us, five crazy guys from Swiss special forces.
    Was a contract. Private.
    It's done, if certain members will be missed, you'll know the truth now.
    A special assassination squad has been tracking certain members. Nothing to worry about. :-L

Well, I should have been notified!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

YOU were the primary target Dragon !!

barryt007 wrote: »

It's a conspiracy!
    barryt007 wrote: »

It's a conspiracy!

Always ;)

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    It's 6 degrees Fahrenheit (-14 C) outside right now. It's my third missed day of work stuck home because of bad road conditions. I thought I could make it today, but the road is still nothing but ice patches and my windshield was covered in a frozen mist that I couldn't even scrape off. I'm going to go nuts with cabin fever!