Skyfall would have been a better movie if Pierce was the lead in lieu of Daniel

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    All of the actors get criticised for one thing or another. There's no more vitarol than when people critisize Dalton for overacting, or the "Dracula" hair in LTK, etc..
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Dalton made a conscious effort to return to the character of the Fleming books, whereas Brosnan never understood the Fleming Bond character - and it showed in all his films - and his ridiculous OTT acting.

Dalton is classically trained as a stage actor, and again it showed in his performance as Bond. Brosnan just pouted around trying to look desperately cool, and it came off as forced and totally unnatural.

Brozza actually wasn't that bad an actor away from Bond. It's just a shame he was terrible in the role, and easily the worst Bond ever to grace the films, and also easily the worst 4 films of the entire franchise.

Brozza was nothing short of a disgrace as Bond. Let's leave it at that, because deep down everyone knows it to be the truth.... ;)

I can t argue with any of that.

Me neither. Agreed.
  • RC7RC7
    All of the actors get criticised for one thing or another. There's no more vitarol than when people critisize Dalton for overacting, or the "Dracula" hair in LTK, etc..

There's a disproportionate level of hate fired at Pierce within the fan community. He's the current whipping boy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote: »

There's a disproportionate level of hate fired at Pierce within the fan community. He's the current whipping boy.

I think many though, myself included, would rank him either dead last or second to the bottom, and some posts here are an expression of that.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited December 2016 Posts: 732
    Brosnan was a very good Bond - he had it all. However, I am, too not really a fan of the "funny" Bond in general so he would also be low in my actor rankings. Same with Moore: A very fine James Bond but I would rank him lower than Connery or Craig because of the campy movies.

I am aware that it was the zeitgeist and Moore did nothing else but save the franchise - same with Brosnan. So they have their qualities and neither of them was a bad actor in general or a bad James Bond in specialty but it's just not my taste of Bond movies they made (while they all were still entertaining).

While I would understand the thought of Pierce portraying an old(er) Bond at the very end of his career would somehow fit the motifs of Skyfall good or maybe better, the movie would have to spare a lot of it's awesome action and such. So I would disagree while I still understand the idea behind it.
    Ive just read all of this thread and my answer is the following :

#1 Bond for SF is obviously Craig
    #2 Bond for SF is Connery
    #3 Bond for SF is Lazenby
    #4 Bond for SF is Brosnan
    #5 Bond for SF is Moore
    #6 Bond for SF is ..........................................................................Dalton.

Thus endeth the lesson for today,Gentlemen.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I think many though, myself included, would rank him either dead last or second to the bottom, and some posts here are an expression of that.

Many would, but not a majority the world over. Thankfully!
    I Rank Pierce 4th ,with GL in 5th, and Dalton bottom on 6th.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Many would, but not a majority the world over. Thankfully!

I'm of course speaking about our Bond community here. I couldn't give a damn about casuals.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brosnan is last, no question about it.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,599
    These debates will run and run , the way I try to look at it is to compare very similar scenes and scenarios to see how the actors handled it. So, for example, in DAD , we see Bond tortured, roughed up and in a bad place before being swapped.
    In SF, we see Bond shot, drunk, wounded and in a bad place. We all know the films well and can imagine these scenes in our head. I think we all know who gave the better performance? SF would have been a decent Bond movie whoever played Bond IMHO but DC really committed to the "washed up, old dog, etc" role and he has to take some credit for making it the box office smash it was.
    PS sorry if this has been mentioned but obvioulsy Goldeneye was Judi Dench's first Bond movie so it actually would have fitted the character arc better if she had have died in PB's arms but I know we are crossing time dimensions
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can't imagine Brosnan being able to handle the 'ball whacker' scene in CR or the 'rubdown' scene with Bardem in SF or even the Vesper shower staredown in CR. It's here where Craig proves he's in a different league imho.
    Yep.
    I can t imagine him handling anything at all.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can't imagine Brosnan being able to handle the 'ball whacker' scene in CR or the 'rubdown' scene with Bardem in SF or even the Vesper shower staredown in CR. It's here where Craig proves he's in a different league imho.

The torture sequence alone would feature more Brosnan pain faces than GE, TND, TWINE and DAD combined! I cringe just thinking about it.
    And a ridiculous amount of the constant pre sentence heavy breathing.
    bondjames wrote: »

PB seems to be a decent chap and he deserves a fair debate but , yes, its hard to play devils advocate on this one. Its really a done deal

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I disagree with the thread title; in fact, Brosnan may have felt more "out of place" here than Craig, and the acting in SF was one of the only things the film got right, not really requiring any alteration or re-casting.
    Yes he seems a decent guy. But that doesn't detract from my opinion that he was the worst Bond.
    My dislike of Moore and Brosnan as Bond has no bearing on my love of them as gentlemen either. I adore them both, just not as this particular character when stacked against the rest of the boys. All criticism comes from a place of respect, however, because as Pierce said, more men have landed on the moon than played Bond, and so the role and those cast as the character deserve to be regarded in such a fashion.
    If your an actor and your a bit crap like Brosnan as Bond, you get critiqued.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,882

Well back in the 1990's, it was as if the sun shone out of Brosnans..... nose. Now that he hasn't been the current Bond for a number of years, the cool aid has worn off, and people can now judge him clearly without the "Best Bond ever / Best Bond since Connery" promotion from the press. If the internet existed as it does now, but back in the 90's, it would have been Dalton that was being torn apart. Craig is getting a lot of love now ( :-?? ), but wait until the next Bond is cast.

Well back in the 1990's, it was as if the sun shone out of Brosnans..... nose. Now that he hasn't been the current Bond for a number of years, the cool aid has worn off, and people can now judge him clearly without the "Best Bond ever / Best Bond since Connery" promotion from the press. If the internet existed as it does now, but back in the 90's, it would have been Dalton that was being torn apart. Craig is getting a lot of love now ( :-?? ), but wait until the next Bond is cast.

It's always shocked me that Brosnan was once so heavily compared to Connery (at least that's what I hear). Amusing in a kind of sad way, but I will chalk it up to people being so desperate for Bond again following the hiatus that they were ready to instantly love anything they got. Of course the more positive acclaim of Goldeneye must have also helped, because people could always say of Brosnan, "[Such and such] might not be a great film, but he did Goldeneye and that was good."
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    They're all compared to Connery. He defined the role ... and man he was great so every new actor will be compared to him.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    They're all compared to Connery. He defined the role ... and man he was great so every new actor will be compared to him.

Yes, obviously. What I was shocked by was that Brosnan was considered by some to be the best since Connery or *gasp* the best ever.
    Everyone is entitled to their own ridiculous opinion.
    Connery?? Pah. As some have said, a footballer who got lucky ;)
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Can one simply "luck" into being one of the best actors of his generation and the single most magnetic screen presence of his age? ;) And to this day, nobody wears a suit like him.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Rubbish - it could only star Daniel Craig!
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Can one simply "luck" into being one of the best actors of his generation and the single most magnetic screen presence of his age? ;) And to this day, nobody wears a suit like him.

Hell yeah. Whatever you may think of Connery as an actor, his screen presence cannot be disputed.