'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

1 Tom baker
    2 smith
    3 troughten
    4 hartnel
    5 eccelston
    6 tennant
    7 colin baker
    8 davidson
    9 pertwee
    10 mccoy
    11 mcgann
    They are talking and planning a Hollywood treatment for Dr Who in the near future? Do you think they will recast the title role? Or will Matt Smith get the gig?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There's been plans for a Doctor Who movie from as far back as 1987. If there is to be a big screen adveture for the good Doctor, I would prefer they use whomever is piloting the TARDIS on the small screen, in this case, Smith.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    They are talking and planning a Hollywood treatment for Dr Who in the near future? Do you think they will recast the title role? Or will Matt Smith get the gig?

I read several weeks ago that if there is to be a doctor who movie, the current tv doctor will be in it, and it won't be a reboot. ill try and find the link. i would prefer the current doctor to be in a movie version.
    RogueAgent wrote:

I read several weeks ago that if there is to be a doctor who movie, the current tv doctor will be in it, and it won't be a reboot. ill try and find the link. i would prefer the current doctor to be in a movie version.

Yeah i would prefer MS in the film role version too! It always amazes me that they didnt kick off a major film franchise as the possibilities are endless like Star Trek in a way.
    In the 60s there were 2 dalek doctor who movie's with peter cushing. they were quite removed from the tv show. they are worth a look.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Big trek fan myself, doctor who has only really just had a resurgence. popularity and interest waned in the 80s. i bought trial of a timelord recently with colin baker which i enjoyed it had its moments, though reminded me how low british tv production values were at the time compared to american sci fi.
    Big trek fan myself, doctor who has only really just had a resurgence. popularity and interest waned in the 80s. i bought trial of a timelord recently with colin baker which i enjoyed it had its moments, though reminded me how low british tv production values were at the time compared to american sci fi.

Thats why they concentrated on story, characterisation on acting which carries it through.

Have you seen Day of the Daleks. It does the time travel paradox of going back in time to stop history far better then Terminator2 which also does the same thing?

Trial of a Timelord is a strange thing particularly as the programme itself was on trial at the time. But it does have some good points and I like Colins blustery Doctor.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think the Trial Of A Timelord series was not awful to watch, but big diservice to Baker too. What with all the scrapyard, junkyard etc... insults, it made The 6th Doctor come across so juvenile. Though it did at least bring about the regeneration into The 7th Doctor, and for that I certainly can't complain.
    Found the documentary's interesting viewing on trial of a time lord. perrys fate and the reveal of the valeyard are standout moments for me. the dream lord echo's the valeyard perhap's a early manifestation of the dark side of the doctor... i hope it goes that way. which season and doctor is that episode from pal? Colin baker i thought was good, his arrogance and pompous attitude made him a fun character.
    I watch the classic series in chronological order. Which is why I recently ordered, and received, The Sensorites. I'll watch it once my life won't be so hectic (lots of things to do during the next two months).
    Recently bought genesis of the daleks from tom baker era thought it was a great origin story for the daleks. i am buying episode sporadically Lol had the lost episodes box set though gave it away. its fun watching some of tom baker episodes again, i was very young when i first watched them.
    For the classic series, the Doctors I'm more familiar with were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, thanks to the reruns done by BBC Prime. Since then, I've seen the first five available stories (and frankly, Susan must be either an ancestor or a descendant of the Skywalker men. What a whiner!), and a bit of Troughton (Tomb of the Cybermen). And I find it a shame that France didn't air the series in the 60s. We might have been able to store those missing episodes. But if there was a genre that displeased the decision makers at the ORTF, that was science-fiction (we waited until the 80s to discover Star Trek).

For the new series, I'm a big fan of David Tennant, and enjoy Matt Smith. And I went to the Doctor Who Experience last september. Great stuff.
    I think the Trial Of A Timelord series was not awful to watch, but big diservice to Baker too. What with all the scrapyard, junkyard etc... insults, it made The 6th Doctor come across so juvenile. Though it did at least bring about the regeneration into The 7th Doctor, and for that I certainly can't complain.

Colin Baker in the audio books is how he wanted to be as the doctor, plus he would have worn a black leather jacket....the head of bbc drama hated doctor who and finally did kill it.

Genesis of the Daleks is my favorite story of all time.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,492
    Found the documentary's interesting viewing on trial of a time lord.

The documentaries are the best features on the DVDs.

The one on Trial about Colins sacking is really quite sad - especially considering how much he loved being the Doctor.

He had so much potential that they wasted it is sad and sickening, if you heard any of his audio plays you know what i mean...he would have been awesome if give more influence and backing. they hung him out to dry.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Found the documentary's interesting viewing on trial of a time lord.

The documentaries are the best features on the DVDs.

The one on Trial about Colins sacking is really quite sad - especially considering how much he loved being the Doctor.

They treated him with little respect. bbc were hell bent on cancelling the show, think he is one of two Doctor's who did not regenerate.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,882
    Char35t wrote:

Colin Baker in the audio books is how he wanted to be as the doctor, plus he would have worn a black leather jacket....the head of bbc drama hated doctor who and finally did kill it.

Genesis of the Daleks is my favorite story of all time.

I've heard that about how Baker wanted to be dressed. Apparantly JNT told the costume dept that it had to be totally tastless, so one of the designers scribbled a sketch expecting JNT to say 'that's just stupid' but it backfired and JNT liked the patchwork disaster. I've never listened to any of the Baker/6 audio's as i've concentrated on only the McCoy/7 audios.

Favourite story? What else but... The Curse Of Fenric.
    Colin > McCoy for me you should check out the audios the Jugernaughts (sic) is pretty darn good.

I, Davros makes me want to see D's early days and to see what caused the war of skaro...
    Another update on 2012 DVD releases:

Nightmare Of Eden (Doctor #4 - 02/04/2012)

Ace Adcentures:
    Dragonfire / The Happiness Patrol
    (Doctor #7 - 07/05/2012)

I can't bloomin' wait for the Ace Adventures box. Two McCoy stories released at the same time. \:D/
    Another update on 2012 DVD releases:

Nightmare Of Eden (Doctor #4 - 02/04/2012)

Ace Adcentures:
    Dragonfire / The Happiness Patrol
    (Doctor #7 - 07/05/2012)

I can't bloomin' wait for the Ace Adventures box. Two McCoy stories released at the same time. \:D/

I am looking forward to Nightmare of Eden. I wonder if the actor who played Tryst is still alive.

Plus I love

"They're only economy class"

• edited February 2012 Posts: 1,856
    publicity-01.jpg

<blockquote> Filming has begun in Cardiff on a new series of Doctor Who, which will see the exits of his companions, played by Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill.

Matt Smith is teaming up for the last time with characters Amy Pond and Rory for his third series as the Doctor.

Rory and Amy have been with the BBC Wales-produced show since Smith took over as the time traveller in 2010.

Smith said: "It's thrilling and exciting to be back and working with two of my closest friends."
    Matt Smith is teaming up for the last time with characters Amy Pond and Rory for his third series as the Doctor.

Rory and Amy have been with the BBC Wales-produced show since Smith took over as the time traveller in 2010.

Smith said: "It's thrilling and exciting to be back and working with two of my closest friends."

Guest stars so far confirmed to appear in the 14-episode series include David Bradley, Rupert Graves and Mark Williams.

Scriptwriters are promising "blockbuster movie episodes" with new monsters for the Doctor and his friends to encounter as well as some old enemies "as you've never seen them before".

Guest stars Rupert Graves, Mark Williams and David Bradley
    Head writer Steven Moffat announced in December last year that Gillan and Darvill would leave the show and their story would come to a "heartbreaking end".

Gillan, who won a national television award for her performance as Amy Pond, said last month that she was sad to be leaving after the "best years of my life" on the Saturday night sci-fi show filmed in south Wales.

Her work outside the series includes playing Jean Shrimpton for the BBC Four drama We'll Take Manhattan and she is set to begin work on a new comedy film playing an eccentric author with writer's block.

She said: "It's just brilliant to be back on the Tardis with Matt and Arthur for our craziest adventures yet."

Darvill is moving from Doctor Who to Dr Faustus, as he is in rehearsals for the Globe's first production of Christopher Marlowe's tragedy.
    </blockquote>

That's right series 7 is go

Filming info.
    okay not doing this past today. So far filming has taken place in Amy and Rory's house and Dunraven Bay (Badwolf Bay in Doomsday and Journeys end, And Alfava Metraxis in Time of Angles) both days involved Smith, Darville and Mark Williams (Arthur Weasly in Harry Potter), Gillan has only been seen shooting at the house.**

* From BBC ** From Doctor who TV.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,882
    The new companion (just one this time around) has been confirmed, couresy of Doctor Who Online...

Jenna-Louise Coleman has beaten hundreds of hopefuls to become the new companion to Doctor Who, it was announced today by Steven Moffat.

Jenna-Louise-Coleman-with-007.jpg

Twenty-five year old Jenna from Blackpool will star alongside the 11th Time Lord, Matt Smith, to mark the biggest year in the show’s history.

Best known for her roles in Emmerdale (Jasmine Thomas) and Waterloo Road (Lindsay James), Jenna will replace Karen Gillan when she and Arthur Darvill bow out of the show in a heartbreaking departure after one final series of rollercoaster voyages later this year on BBC One.

Jenna says: "I'm beyond excited, I can't wait to get cracking; working alongside Matt I know is going to be enormous fun and a huge adventure."

The Doctor will meet his new friend in a dramatic turn of events as the show builds towards its enormous, climactic 50th anniversary year - full of thrills, adventures and big surprises. Series seven is currently filming and comprises 14 big, blockbuster-movie episodes - each a brand new epic adventure featuring new monsters and some familiar foes as you've never seen them before.

Lead writer and Executive Producer, Steven Moffat, says: "It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She's funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS.

"It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

Danny Cohen, Controller, BBC One, adds "As we approach Doctor Who's 50th anniversary it's great to welcome a new companion to the TARDIS. I feel confident the Doctor will look after her in his own very unique style."

In 2011 Jenna made her big screen debut in Captain America: The First Avenger and is soon to star as Annie Desmond in ITV1’s Titanic. She has just finished filming on Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing On The Edge for BBC Two.

Not saying that I watch Emmerdale, but I do remember her in it. She's attractive and thank god they didn't choose James Corden. Otherwise I would have stopped watching DW.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Looking forward to see what happens when the time comes.

Still bummed we only get 5 episodes and the Christmas Special this year.

More quotes about Coleman here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17456505

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/03/dwn210312080008-jenna-louise-coleman.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_120321_02/Jenna-Louise_Coleman_Announced_as_New_Companion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_120321_03/New_Series_New_Details

Is Coleman a good actor Major, from what you've seen of her?
    I'll think she'll do ok. Just becuase she's been in a soap, i'm not going to put her down. Melissa George started in Home And Away, and she's now one of my favourite actresses. She's (Coleman) in the new Titanic mini series which I believe is coming on tv soon, so it'll be worth watching it to see what she's like.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,350
    OK, I'll be sure to check that out. I just hope another twenty-something isn't a bit samey after the Ponds. Don't really want them to leave but looking forward to the future.
    Amy and Rory are leaving in an episode where they encounter the Weeping Angels, in which Moffat says one may not make it out alive.

He's killing them off then... X(
    I know what you mean about the age but I don't mind that, if Coleman's character isn't an Amy clone (not that i've got anything against Amy). As for the other thing you mentioned...
    Or just one of them.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,350
    One final point, I really hope Smith does another series after this one. He's too good to leave and I hope he doesn't just round it off with some 'specials' at the end of 2013. It would also mean we're changing Doctor's far too frequently, in my opinion.

We need actors in this for the long haul, many people star in a series for a good number of years if it comes to it, so why not with Doctor Who? Is it just seen as a window for going onto 'better' things?
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2012 Posts: 10,512
    Jenna-Lousie Coleman served me in a restaurant in Hampstead about 18 months ago. I recognised her and eventually asked if she was still acting. I found it endearing that she seemed so completely down to earth and willing to do something most actors would never do just to fund her career.
    She's alright. Anythings better then Catherine Tate. They might give her a new angle for a companion and Moffat is good at developing character.

But she looks very young. I think we are going to get a northern Rose Tyler.