Savalas's Spectre

edited November 2013 in Actors Posts: 2,594
There used to be an Australian show that aired in the early 1990's aptly named 'The Extraordinary'. The below clip is an interview with Telly Savalas about his encounter with the supernatural which I recorded on VHS all those years ago: (watch the video before reading on)

One or two years later, shortly after Savalas's death, 'The Extraordinary' aired another interview with the actor - a post script to the first interview. I am unable to find this on You Tube unfortunately. I also have this section of the interview on VHS. I will explain what happened. I deemed it appropriate to mention what with today being the 50th Anniversary of the death of President John F. Kennedy:

Several years later, Savalas was playing golf in the company of another celebrity. He was on the fifth or sixth hole when he heard that same strange, airy voice from all those years ago. He looked toward where the voice was coming from and saw a familiar figure in the distance wearing the same white suit. The man asked "did you here what happened in Dallas Tally?" Notably shaken, Savalas continued his golf game up until the ninth hole when he returned to the clubrooms for lunch. In the dining room a TV set was playing. The show was interrupted with a broadcast where Walter Cronkite announced that the president had just been shot in Dallas, Texas.

At the end of the interview Savalas remarked that his experiences involving this spectre didn't end there but he said that he was unwilling to divulge the rest of the story.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That was very interesting. Thanks for posting that @Bounine. I remember reading a part in a book about Telly Savalas' experiences with the supernatural, though I can't remember if this was the one or not.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,594
    Dragonpol wrote:
    That was very interesting. Thanks for posting that @Bounine. I remember reading a part in a book about Telly Savalas' experiences with the supernatural, though I can't remember if this was the one or not.

Do you believe in ghosts? I myself have never seen one but I've never said that I don't believe in them. I've heard some strange stories from a few people who I know wouldn't lie. Even if the supernatural is all just a load of rubbish, this story is still pretty damn bizarre and I can't imagine a celebrity like Savalas who would have received a lot of attention anyway, making something like this up.
    Bounine wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Do you believe in ghosts? I myself have never seen one but I've never said that I don't believe in them. I've heard some strange stories from a few people who I know wouldn't lie. Even if the supernatural is all just a load of rubbish, this story is still pretty damn bizarre and I can't imagine a celebrity like Savalas who would have received a lot of attention anyway, making something like this up.

I think I do, as my father and uncle (now both sadly departed) this life saw what is called a phantom death coach in Northern Ireland when they were school age in the 1930s or so. It disappeared into the end of a house near where they walked to school and the man that lived there was found dead on the hearth. Strange. And yes, I don't think for one minute believe that Savalas made that up at all.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I think I do, as my father and uncle (now both sadly departed) this life saw what is called a phantom death coach in Northern Ireland when they were school age in the 1930s or so. It disappeared into the end of a house near where they walked to school and the man that lived there was found dead on the hearth. Strange. And yes, I don't think for one minute believe that Savalas made that up at all.

Spooky. Was this at night time? How long after they saw the coach was the dead man found?

If ghosts exist, then one can't help but wonder if life after death also does...
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,727
    Bounine wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I think I do, as my father and uncle (now both sadly departed this life) saw what is called a phantom death coach in Northern Ireland when they were school age in the 1930s or so. It disappeared into the end of a house near where they walked to school and the man that lived there was found dead on the hearth. Strange. And yes, I don't for one minute believe that Savalas made that up at all.

Spooky. Was this at night time? How long after they saw the coach was the dead man found?

No, I think this was in the morning as they were on their way to school. I don't know any further details, but they went across the moss (bogland, peat) to a country school and on this day they saw a very old phantom coach (old-fashioned even in the 1930s). It was also said that lights (supposedly hooded men carried lanterns at deaths) were seen by my grandfather (on my mother's side) before Jenkins was found dead, too. My grandfather (on my father's side) actually cut Jenkins' hair as they did not live very far from each other.

I've also heard of a man seeing one go into the gable end of a house when he was out collecting water from a pump at the side of the road. This was some time later, I believe, and again there was a death, too.

I heard these stories from my father and uncle, and they weren't the type to make things up. My father also saw the Hindenberg flying over Northern Ireland on its fateful journey in 1937 when he would have been abouit 14. He predicted that Kennedy would be shot some time before he was, too.

My father also told me that he saw a strange cloud that may have been a UFO. It started out as a cigar or sausage shape and then folded into itself in front of his eyes. I still live in my father's house and have visited the house where Jenkins was found dead on many an occasion.

Another weird supernatural story was related from World War I here in Ireland when a man was building on the top of a roof. A dove landed out of the sky and alighted on his head. Some time later when the dreaded telegram arrived he learned that his brother had been killed in the war on that very day.

There is also a supposedly haunted house near to where I live where it has been said that a bloody hand keeps appearing through the wall no matter whether paint or wallpaper is used to cover it - suggestive of an old murder, perhaps.

So, as these stories were handed down, you could say they point to the existence of supernatural forces. I tend to believe them, but have never myself seen a ghost. You have to remember that long ago in rural Ireland (and elsewhere) people walked or cycled everywhere so they got to see many things of a day or night. The Devil at the Crossroads and all that kind of thing. Going out drinking, gambling or being involved in seances were regular things in the late C19th to early C20th.

More recently, a friend told me of a drive he made one night along a stretch of road. Approaching his car at the edge of the road were two young girls in strange very old-fashioned dress in an area where there were no houses for miles wtound. He said to his then wife, "Did you see that?". She nodded and when he turned to go back to see them again they were gone...

EDIT: My father would have turned 90 years today (23 November 2013) if he were still alive. Sadly he died in 2003 aged 79 years. This post is in memory of him.
  • The supernatural's an interesting subject. There are a lot of stories that are pure and transparent crap, but then there are all the stories from people who aren't liars and have no reason to lie that seem to point rather directly to it. Personally, I find near-death experiences to be the most fascinating of all.
    The supernatural's an interesting subject. There are a lot of stories that are pure and transparent crap, but then there are all the stories from people who aren't liars and have no reason to lie that seem to point rather directly to it. Personally, I find near-death experiences to be the most fascinating of all.

Yes, I agree. There are many stories of ghosts and ghouls from people who are not fabricators, as my stories posted above show.
  • I'm always in two minds about the paranormal. Go from skeptical to an active believer from day to day, week to week. I think ghosts and specters are tangible enough, but have never been a witness to an actual paranormal episode, but always keep an open mind. Interesting subject matter, as a few above participants have disclosed
    As a historian I feel the supernatural is a widely overlooked area within history which is an honest shame because everyone it seems either has a story or knows someone with a story that is definitely not made up. I already have my story.
    Risico007 wrote:
    As a historian I feel the supernatural is a widely overlooked area within history which is an honest shame because everyone it seems either has a story or knows someone with a story that is definitely not made up. I already have my story.

Would you care to share your story with us, @Risico007, as I have above?
    Yes, do tell @Risico007, if you desire.

My grandmother who is now deceased along with the rest of my grandparents, told me a story about how she was sitting in the middle of a decent size park during the day. It is solely an open field with nothing in it aside for two benches located in the middle. The nearest trees are on the edges of the park. Opposite my grandmother sat an old lady surrounded by all these boxes. My grandmother turned around for just a few seconds and when she turned back the old lady along with all the boxes had disappeared. My grandmother immediately looked around for her in all directions and she was no where to be seen. I'm not sure exactly how far in metres the edge of the park is from the centre where they had been sitting, however, my grandmother said that even if it had been a young person, that there was no way they would have got anywhere near to where the trees were on the edge of the park after her having turned around for just a brief few seconds.
  • This issue has become far more relevant since the passing of my father a few short days ago. What I mean is, sometimes I expect to dream about him or even have a vision in the waking hours or wake up in the night and see him a few short distance away. It sounds crazy, I've never really experienced these thoughts before but I'm sure it's just the effect of recent events. Sure I've lost other family members and relatives, but didn't really think the same way as now.

The above post by @Bounine is a fairly regular story that usually has a rational explanation. It's only because there are elements involved that we can't always comprehend, that it takes on a paranormal angle. I.E. Driving home on a dark night, you see a figure ahead, it disappears into what seems nowhere or thin air, but 99 per cent of the time there's a logical explanation and nothing that warrants paranormal theories

I've always had a substantial interest in the paranormal or episodes of life we simply can't comprehend and this seems a good topic of discussion I look forward to participating in another time. There's no way that skeptics can determine that ghosts and things from beyond the grave are non existent or little more than garbage scare stories. I can't say with 100 per cent certainty that ghosts exist, I've never had a real tangible paranormal encounter, but have a substantial belief that there are genuine stories out there and the dead are among us. Sometimes they are friends and relatives looking after us that have moved on - and that's a nice way to look at things from a current perspective..
    This issue has become far more relevant since the passing of my father a few short days ago. What I mean is, sometimes I expect to dream about him or even have a vision in the waking hours or wake up in the night and see him a few short distance away. It sounds crazy, I've never really experienced these thoughts before but I'm sure it's just the effect of recent events. Sure I've lost other family members and relatives, but didn't really think the same way as now.

The above post by @Bounine is a fairly regular story that usually has a rational explanation. It's only because there are elements involved that we can't always comprehend, that it takes on a paranormal angle. I.E. Driving home on a dark night, you see a figure ahead, it disappears into what seems nowhere or thin air, but 99 per cent of the time there's a logical explanation and nothing that warrants paranormal theories

I've always had a substantial interest in the paranormal or episodes of life we simply can't comprehend and this seems a good topic of discussion I look forward to participating in another time. There's no way that skeptics can determine that ghosts and things from beyond the grave are non existent or little more than garbage scare stories. I can't say with 100 per cent certainty that ghosts exist, I've never had a real tangible paranormal encounter, but have a substantial belief that there are genuine stories out there and the dead are among us. Sometimes they are friends and relatives looking after us that have moved on - and that's a nice way to look at things from a current perspective..

Yeah, maybe she was from the future and activated her cloaking device.

;)

• Read through what was said again. In that, there must of been some feasible explanation rather than a supernatural angle. Saying that, it's something for skeptics and believers to fight over, but I couldn't buy into any paranormal incidents this time around
    I was only joking in terms of suggesting that time travel and a cloaking device were feasible. ;)

She said that she looked around everywhere and that the old lady and her boxes were nowhere to be seen and she only turned her face away from the lady for a few seconds. There was nothing to hide behind. The nearest trees are on the edge of the park which take a lot longer than a few seconds to get to. Anyway, I'm not claiming that it was actually a paranormal incident but who knows... :)
  • This would be my favourite supernatural story - certainly aided by Telly being a great storyteller.
    I've been communicating with spirit realm for 15 yrs (EVP);
    https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak
  • This is the strangest paranormal incident I've ever had-
    This is most bizarre!... a pet pigeon that contracted paramyxovirus some 2 years ago & was rendered virtually flightless, recently made a substantial recovery, enough to be able to fly up to my roof... however caused me much hassle in trying to get it down again. Following this I'd found that the bird's feathers on one wing had been clipped (in the same manner you'd clip feathers to impair flight).. No person has been at my home of late to have carried this out /nor has anyone surrounding my home had access to the bird... moreover the bird has been more skittish of late than usual -in fact at times seems quite petrified.
    However the clipping of feathers evidently wasn't enough to restrict flight.. the bird again flew up to my roof...& this time took off into the distance - extraordinary in itself given 2 years non-flying!! (amazing muscle memory).
    Was naturally upset thinking it had gone for good (for it seemed the virus had mucked around its navigation ability to an extent).. However asked spirit if the bird will come back & response was "Tomorrow will be back".. however still went looking for it the next day checking local parks (despite another spirit saying "you may not find it") ..although was worried it hadn't had any water for a time & the weather was hot...Came home & found the bird had arrived back!
    Some simply amazing happenings these days!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This could go in @Dragonpol s ghost thread.
    This could go in @Dragonpol s ghost thread.

Yes, good idea. I will have to add it there too.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Bounine wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Hamlet once said that there's more to heave and earth than is dremaed up in our philosophy.

I have experienced some things I can't explain. I once stayed a week in a house where there were some weird events. I was there alone, but I certainly had a sense that someone else was there. I can't say why, just a feeling. And I remember one day hearing laughter in the house. Other times I would feel something tickling my ear. I chalked them up to a) the laughter was outside; B) it was some flying insect. But on my last night there, the groundskeeper came over to check on me and disclosed that the house was haunted. Freaked me out.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,594
    @TripAces Damn, that would have freaked me out too. Did he tell you the house was haunted after you told him what happened or before or did you not tell him at all?