Worst Bond song

echoecho 007 in New York
edited January 2012 in Music Posts: 5,921
In your opinion, what is the worst song on a Bond soundtrack?

I vote for Only Myself To Blame from TWINE. The lyrics are inane and the singer (Matt Monro-lite) is a lounge lizard.

As far as songs that made it into a movie, I vote for Make It Last All Night from FYEO. A forgettable and repetitive disco song.

Comments

• Die Another Day by Madonna. I don't think this will be the last time its mentioned in on this thread.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Die Another Day by Madonna. I don't think this will be the last time its mentioned in on this thread.

It's up there. Madonna was the most evil Bond villain of the Brosnan era.
    Die Another Day by Madonna was pretty woeful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can easily give DAD a pass when compared to AWTD. This is handsdown the worst theme song in any of the Bonds.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I can easily give DAD a pass when compared to AWTD. This is handsdown the worst theme song in any of the Bonds.

The motion is seconded
    Virage wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

The motion is seconded

I am still wondering how in their right mind EON must have been when they accepted that piece of horsedung. It makes it understandable that they used in DAD bargainbasement CGI.

Madonna's song makes sense when combined with part of film it does accompany, he gets tortured. Not her best song to be honest.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Madonna is indeed one of my favourite singers... from an era long past us though. I love everything she did up to her album 'Music'. That electropop thing she went for just upset me and I never recovered. In that sense, I'm willing to bet that had she performed a theme song for any of the Daltons for example, it might have been so much better. DAD annoyed me at first. When I heard it the first time, in fact, I thought it was a hoax and I nearly lost my *SELF CENSORED*. Then I found out it really was meant to be taken seriously. I thought EON had gone berserk. However, Kleinman's wonderful OT managed at least to give DAD some grace in the film. It could have been terrible but now at least it was passable. Still, I was glad that Cornell and Arnold delivered a decent song with YKMN. It still wasn't what I'm looking for in a Bond film's theme song but at least the rating went from passable to fairly good. I kinda hoped that with QoS, the bar would be lifted again... and then I fell in a heap of horse bugger. AWTD... I first heard it and I decided to play Doom 3 instantly. Shooting some monsters to loosen up the anger felt like the only therapy that could work. That song irritated me like even pure sodium carbonate couldn't. It still does. Also, it doesn't have the Kleinman advantage since MK12's putrid opening titles, pulled straight from video game land, made the song 'sound' even worse. I understand that they always seek out an artist who can sell singles and soundtrack albums and who can draw audiences to the theatre. The original Winehouse choice makes sense in that respect. However, how about considering the timelessness of a Bond film's theme song? People still, to this very day, praise the likes of GF, Nobody Does It Better and AVTAK. Those are tracks that still fuel the love for the Bond films and everything around them. AWTD? Easily forgotten even only 3 years since its release. I call 'dud' on the last couple of attempts, with the single exception perhaps of YKMN. To be fair, I think that only half the theme songs since GE can reside in that passable - to - good category:

1) GE (great song, wonderful singer!)
    2) YKMN (good song, good singer.)
    3) TWINE (meh... okay I guess.)

The rest:

4) TND (not good.)
    5) DAD (did someone fart?)
    6) AWTD (putrid, learn and understand its definition because it goes hand in hand with this song.)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 157
    I don't know if I'm alone in this respect, but I'm tired of american performers singing the bond themes. 1989-2008. Almost 20 years of americanized songs! That is a lot of time. Licence to Kill was lazy, Another Way to Die lousy. Too many "nothing special songs". Even norwergian band a-ha, in 1987 didn't use their potential (Morten Harket, anyone?) and their song was obvious & repetitive. Those were the days when we had Matt Monro, Shirley Bassey, Louis Armstrong, Dionne Warwick... Jack Jones would have been amazing too. Some of them were americans, but back then American Pop Music was very different...
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 192
    I think we can easily agree on DAD and AWTD being the worst ever.
    So let's have a look at the old ones. Arguably they can all be considered classics, but which of them are rather poor?

I think "All time high" sounds probably the least Bond of all and is just boring. At least the chorus is. At the beginning you think "this might be good" but the chorus eventually lets you down...
    And I don't know what to make of LALD: I think it could be a really great Bond song - if not for the strange middle part! It annoys me every time I hear it an spoils the whole song for me!
    Maradonna's for sure but I,m not a big fan of Lulu;s theme for MWTGG either. QOF sucked a little bit as well. I really really loved Chris Cornell's number for CR which was very catchy.
    Die Another Day by Madonna. I don't think this will be the last time its mentioned in on this thread.

Without a doubt, its simply dreadfull.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 612

Agreed.
    JR_747 wrote:
    I think we can easily agree on DAD and AWTD being the worst ever.
    So let's have a look at the old ones. Arguably they can all be considered classics, but which of them are rather poor?

!

I dont mind AWTD and it works quite well with the desert like titles. But DAD is dreck of the first order.

TND is a dull dirge that doesnt quite work as well.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Die Another Day, easily the worst...

followed closely by The Man With The Golden Gun.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Die Another Day, easily the worst...

I second haserot's comments
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    GF
    DAF
    MR
    DAD without question! Especially after a promising PTS to go into that track? NOOOOOO!!!!!!
  • For Your Eyes Only was pretty terrible. The lyrics, paired with the singer, makes it sound like it's the theme song to a soap opera. Not to mention Sheena Easton somehow manages to always sound drunk when she sings. I mean, I LIKE the song out of amusement, but that doesn't mean it's a good song.
    I used to feel the same way about FYEO and Sheena Easton. She still sounds a bit shaky in the chorus. But I like the song itself, especially the way it opens, there's something intriguing about it, almost mysterious. It's a nice melody and Conti uses it really well in the instrumental reprise. Conti is no Barry, but I think he really puts his stamp on the film. It has character.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    But I like the song itself, especially the way it opens, there's something intriguing about it, almost mysterious.
    I absolutely agree to that! You can't put your finger on it, but this song has something special. I was intrigued from the moment I first heard it. It definitely stands out among the Bond songs and I must confess that I like it a lot!

Another Way to Die and You Only Live Twice
    00Beast wrote:
    You Only Live Twice

Really?
    :-/
    Tomorrow never dies by crow is pretty average. Surrender was bond without a doubt and should have been the title song.
    Hmm not sure on this one. Out of DAD and AWTD I must admit I prefer DAD. At least that has more of a tune to it.

Although my bet for "worst song" would go to either MWTGG or AWTD. I don't think it's THAT bad but as DD said how many people do you think came out of the cinema humming it?

I don't mind TND but, as everyone else has said, Surrender by K.D. Lang is far better.

Another Way to Die actually started good in my opinion (the instrumental opening). Of course, once the vocals kicked in the song completely went to hell.

I still hold Die Another Day as the worst song.

P.S. I never cared for Rita Coolidge's 'All Time High' either....
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    SJK91 wrote:
    Another Way to Die actually started good in my opinion (the instrumental opening). Of course, once the vocals kicked in the song completely went to hell.

I still hold Die Another Day as the worst song.

P.S. I never cared for Rita Coolidge's 'All Time High' either....

I quite liked that one :(

I know this is a bit controversial but I've always found TLD by Ah-Ha a little...underwelming.

IMO "Where has Everybody Gone" by The Pretenders is better.

My top three worst:

Another Way To Die
    Die Another Day
    All Time High

Long Live Shirley Bassey!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    I know this is a bit controversial but I've always found TLD by Ah-Ha a little...underwelming.

I agree with you on that. It sounds really dated to me.

While we're slogging the title tunes, I'll throw in "License to Kill": just a really pedestrian, slow 80's ballad.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    You Only Live Twice

Really?

Yeah, I can't stand it.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    The worst ones are TND, DAD, CR, and QoS's theme songs.
    HASEROT wrote:
    Why do people hate this song? It's actually quite good.
    00Beast wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    You Only Live Twice

Really?

Yeah, I can't stand it.
    This is a better version of the YOLT theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDitUVMMzE0