"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have to say, I hope the look of the ship is refined a bit. I realize it takes place in a earlier time period but I was not thrilled with what I saw in the teaser.
  • The Discovery ship design was taken from concept designs from Star Trek The Motion Picture I like the idea of the new ship though I expect it too look much better in the show.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They said it's going to look a bit different for the Show proper, what we saw of it was a teaser.
    The Discovery ship design was taken from concept designs from Star Trek The Motion Picture I like the idea of the new ship though I expect it too look much better in the show.

Oh, I'm aware that it's based on Ralph McQuarrie's early designs, I'm just not crazy about it.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This will keep my Blu-ray player warm until the new series arrives :D

arrived today at Jason's bridge

full.jpg
  • This will keep my Blu-ray player warm until the new series arrives :D

arrived today at Jason's bridge

full.jpg

Dammit, you must earn twice the amount I earn :-(.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Ex Bond-girl Michelle Yeoh is now officially attached to "Star Trek: Discovery" :-D. play She will play captain Georgiou of the USS Shenzhou:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/new-series.htm#20161129
    casting-announcement-777x437.jpg

There are two more newly confirmed actors. Anthony Rapp as Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist aboard the USS Discovery, and Doug Jones as Lt. Saru, an alien Starfleet science officer of a new species yet to be named.
  • Doug Jones is the name that stands out The Silver Surfer himself, he has an impressive resume notably working with Guilimo Del Torro.
    Really looking forward to seeing this arrive on our TV screens! :D
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green-the-walking-dead-sasha/
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/12/sonequa-martin-green-to-lead-star-trek-discovery/
    It's official! AMC's 'The Walking Dead' actress Sonequa Martin-Green will play the lead character in "Star Trek: Discovery". She will play a starship Lieutenant Commander 10 years before Captain James Kirk began his five-year mission.

Martin-Green also had a recurring role in the Sci-Fi TV-Series 'Once Upon A Time', produced by ABC. This will be the first time since the start of 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' (CBS, 1992) that the leading character won't be a captain. As you all might have known, Avery Brooks first played Commander Benjamin Sisko before he got promoted to Captain.

Creator Bryan Fuller, who left the series but who still is willing to comment on the character said:
    "We're going deep into something that was for me always very tantalizing, and [we're telling] that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy. For her to truly understand something that is alien, she has to first understand herself."

Sonequa-Martin-Green-Feet-1120475.jpg
    sonequa-martin-green-at-the-walking-dead-ultimate-fan-premiere-event-_2.jpg
    sonequa-martin-green.jpg

By the way.....does anyone notice the physical similarities between actress Zoe Saldana and Sonequa Martin-Green?? Could she play the mother of Nyota Uhura??

http://www.startrek.com/article/qapla-discovery-introduces-the-klingons
    Also revealed are the actors playing the three leading Klingons, who work aboard a yet unnamed Klingon Warbird

The actors are:
    --> Chris Obi: Who will also play a leading role in the yet to be released Sci-Fi film with Scarlett Johansson, "Ghost In The Shell" (2017). He also starred in "Snow White And The Huntsman" (2012) and will play in the other new Sci-Fi Series by Bryan Fuller, "American Gods" (2017).
    christopher-obi-5.1.jpg

--> Shazad Latif: This British actor played in pivotal role in Sam Mendes'/John Logan's "Penny Dreadful" (2014-2016), which was shown on Showtime, &
    7505432_orig.jpg

--> Mary Chieffo: She's really the unknown, as previously she only played extra's, guest roles and cameo's in various TV Series. She had a more important role in the B-Film "Miss Dial" (2013)
    8539848.jpg?211

Obi will appear as Klingon Leader T'Kuvma, the man seeking to unite the Klingon houses. Latif portrays Kol, commanding officer of the Klingons and protégé of T'Kuvma. Chieffo plays the role of L'Rell, the battle deck commander of the yet unnamed Klingon ship.
    Looks like great casting. Looking forward to seeing more. I'm really anxious to see the uniforms.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Looks like great casting. Looking forward to seeing more. I'm really anxious to see the uniforms.

I actually hope for a more A-listed actor, someone who's really well-known or have some awards behind his name.

I mean, look at HBO's "WestWorld", Amazon's "Transparent" or Netflix' "House Of Cards".

Anyway, this is the casting list so far:
    --> Sonequa Martin-Green......Lieutenant Commander Rainsford /"Number One" (aboard USS Discovery)
    --> Anthony Rapp...................Lieutenant Stamets (astromycologist, USS Discovery)
    --> Michelle Yeoh...................Captain Georgiou (USS Shenzhou)
    --> Doug Jones.......................Lieutetant Saru (Starfleet science officer, new species)
    --> Chris Obi..........................Klingon Leader T'Kuvma
    --> Shazad Latif......................Commanding Officer Kol, protégé of T'Kuvma
    --> Mary Chieffo.....................Battle-Deck Commander L'Rell (aboard Klingon Warbird)

I actually hope for a more A-listed actor, someone who's really well-known or have some awards behind his name.

I mean, look at HBO's "WestWorld", Amazon's "Transparent" or Netflix' "House Of Cards".

--> Sonequa Martin-Green......Lieutenant Commander/"Number One" (aboard USS Discovery)
    --> Anthony Rapp...................Lieutenant Stamets (astromycologist, USS Discovery)
    --> Doug Jones.......................Lieutetant Saru (Starfleet science officer, new species)
    --> Shazad Latif......................Commanding Officer Kol, protégé of T'Kuvma
    --> Mary Chieffo.....................Battle-Deck Commander L'Rell (aboard Klingon Warbird)

She's quite popular in The Walking Dead. I prefer relatively unknown actors anyway. :)
  • Murdock wrote: »

--> Sonequa Martin-Green......Lieutenant Commander/"Number One" (aboard USS Discovery)

She's quite popular in The Walking Dead. I prefer relatively unknown actors anyway. :)
    Agree plus they never hire well known actors in Trek main cast.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Agree plus they never hire well known actors in Trek main cast.

I've never seen "The Walking Dead" actually :-P
    I've started watching it since Jeffery Dean Morgan was brought on as the sinister villain Negan. great stuff.
    I am already following too many of these 10-episode-season / 13-episode-season TV Series (By the way it frustrates me....only so many episodes a season! Longing for the old days when one season had in between 21 to 26 episodes):

- HBO's "WestWorld" (will be a long wait until season 2)
    - FX's/MGM's "Fargo" (waiting for season 3)
    - Amazon's "The Man In The High Castle" (YESS, season 2 is being downloaded as we speak :-))
    - Amazon's "Transparent" (lovely Drama/Comedy Series, season 4 is being made as we speak)
    - AMC's "Better Call Saul" (spin-off of "Breaking Bad", just started season 1)
    - Netflix's "Narcos" (I heard there will be a 3rd season?)
    - Netflix's "Stranger Things" (I loved it, can't wait for season 2)

So as you can see, that's already a big list. And I am planning to start watching "House Of Cards" :-). Add to that "Star Trek: Discovery" and I'm already getting crazy :-).
  • Apparently, Sonequa Martin-Green will play Lieutenant Commander Rainsford, the "Number One" aboard USS Discovery.
  • Here's a nice overview of how the prime timeline splitted into two timelines (Prime and Kelvin) and where "Discovery" will stand ;-):
    timelinedsc.png
    Filming starts January 24th!! In Vancouver, Canada! :-)

http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-trek-discovery-filming-dates-set/

talos7 wrote: »
    I think Enterprise is underrated and overly maligned. I thoroughly enjoyed it , more so than Voyager; The final season, with writer Manny Coto was outstanding.
    It took me until a month or two ago to finally start watching any of the Enterprise series, and now I'm totally hooked. And I agree, the Meyer connection could bode well for the new series.
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    I like the movies, never cared much for the tv shows. But my buddy Jase forced me through first few seasons of DS9 and then got hooked. Ahead of its time, a lot.

When Enterprise got released on Blu-ray, borrowed it and watched it all in less than two months. I love it and will buy myself soon and rewatch.

Hope new show will be like DS9 later seasons or season three and four of Enterprise. Not single episodes with stories, but one big story arch.
    Could this whole thing not have been made part of the Star Trek thread? Are there not already far too many examples of repetitive, multiple threads that basically address the same thing? (The Bond 24/Bond 25 threads being a particularly egregious example) I dunno, just my two cents.
    I understand your point but it could also be argued that since this is a new series, contained in a yet explored time period, that a unique thread is appropriate.
    Topics that are too broad can sometimes become cluttered and unfocused.

If I want to discuss Discovery and would have to go to a thread that covers 50 years of numerous series and films, it would be frustrating t sort through all of the rest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Costumes/sets revealed as production begins:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-costumes-and-sets/
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Costumes/sets revealed as production begins:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-costumes-and-sets/

Aaaargh, I'm getting horny now :-O !! The world really needs Star Trek now!! Here's the trailer for people living outside the USA (sounds a bit weird these days :-S ):
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,119
    And some screencaps I made :-):

kzbJXXR.jpg
    6QqkwF6.jpg
    eVJYDTe.jpg
    ATAqKGz.jpg
    JTGUY31.jpg
    IBhzyJ7.jpg
    J3Az4VU.jpg
    USPHYtD.jpg
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    The uniforms closest to Enterprise in look rather than TOS Interesting.
  • That's true. Well, they are not modeled as cheap nasa-overalls like those in Enterprise. They look....classier.