Would you like to see a 007 Game as an open world, sandbox game?

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
edited November 2012 in 007 Gaming Posts: 2,721
Similar to either a grand theft auto style game or skyrim style. Obviously those franchises have a larger audience but what would an open world Bond game play like? I can imagine beginning as a rookie agent, having to build up your abilities from basic training through increasingly difficult missions to reach 00 status and then moving through the missions from the films. How brilliant would it be to follow the chronology of the entire film series in a game? Again, this would need the scope of what rockstar/bethesda are capable, but with investment of time and money it could be a groundbreaking format. I've always thought they should do it with the Star Wars universe but Bond has the rich history to make it work too.

Comments

• AliAli
    I can see it more in an Assassin's Creed type world but the issue with that is the lack of globe trotting which is really a part of the Bond world.
  • I think that could work. You could imagine that there would already be pre-loaded cities and places you could travel to like London, New York, Paris, Istanbul, Venice, The Bahamas, Miami, all the major locations which re-occure throughout the series, and then depending on whatever mission you're on, other locations would become available for you to visit which would still be open worlds, but they will be designed with a more linear mission set in mind like when you go to Switzerland in Goldfinger, or when you travel to any of the villains secret bases. Personally, because I like Sean's movies the best, I think it would be amazing for them to do a story ark of his early films, beginning with Dr. No and ending with Diamonds are Forever, only through each mission you would play as a Bond who has some sort of hybrid likeness to Sean and George. Any more films then that and you'd never get all those locations into one game.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It really all depends on the type of story that the game has. I don't really want Skyrim-style, because Bethesda games don't really have stories. GTA-style, that's a different story. It may or may not work, depending on what company is doing the development.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Ah thanks - apologies if I double up on threads - im new here and really trying to avoid rehashing a well worn subject but finding it a little daunting going through all the discussions!
    And now I've just doubled up on replies...damn...
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    This is not a 'speculation' or discussion of a Future bond game, this is a 'what would you like'.
    I think that could work. You could imagine that there would already be pre-loaded cities and places you could travel to like London, New York, Paris, Istanbul, Venice, The Bahamas, Miami, all the major locations which re-occure throughout the series, and then depending on whatever mission you're on, other locations would become available for you to visit which would still be open worlds, but they will be designed with a more linear mission set in mind like when you go to Switzerland in Goldfinger, or when you travel to any of the villains secret bases. Personally, because I like Sean's movies the best, I think it would be amazing for them to do a story ark of his early films, beginning with Dr. No and ending with Diamonds are Forever, only through each mission you would play as a Bond who has some sort of hybrid likeness to Sean and George. Any more films then that and you'd never get all those locations into one game.

That's a great idea - you could even do separate Bond Games that way. The Connery Bond Game (6 missions), Moore Bond Game (7 missions), join Dalton and Brosnan game together for 6 more And maybe by the that time Craig would have finished five for the final Bond game?! The only thing would be putting the Lazenby one in Connery's for the sake of story continuity?

Undoubtedly some smaller company will rush a Never Say Never Again game out to cash-in...
  • oo7oo7
    speculation
    the contemplation or consideration of some subject
    Discussion
    an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc
    I see no point in apendixing this subject matter in a thread of its own when a sandbox discussion fits into what you want to see. so continue this over there
  • AliAli
    The problem with GTA is that the missions are usually pretty rudimentary "drive to A, kill B, drive to C while being chased by B's goons". Mind you, that does some up some of the movie plots as well :D
    I don't think it would work. Bond movies are great at jumping from location to location seemlessly. If you have one open world, it wouldn't really fit. And if you try many open worlds, you might end up with another Godfather Part II game. Which isn't good.
  • I can see it being done like this: There are a couple of open world, let's say Turkey, Miami, Bahamas and Tokyo. You start out as Bond in Turkey, play though the world investigating something, finding leads, and every time you do new parts of that world become available. Untill you've reached some kind of end-boss (this will usually include finding his secret hide-out and sneaking in), you get to another world to explore (Bond would now move, for instance, to Miami) Turkey will now become available as an open-world where you can explore new things while you continue the 'story mode' in Miami, and then the Bahamas and finally Tokyo.
    Unless it's a big budget like GTA V, it probably wouldn't work. :(

Try playing The Godfather Part II.
  • I'd love it but it'll never happen. I don't think ' taking time' is much of a consideration when making a Bond game. 007 Legends feels like it was made in a month.
  • I, for one, would love a game where you could create your own agent, have it start at rookie and make him evolve as a "00". I'd like a roleplaying game in the universe of 007. But it wouldn't be an endless shooter like the games nowadays. No, you would have to battle your nemesis in a game of poker, you would have to seduce the Bond Girl or more rather the [Name of your Agent] girl with witty dialogue, withstand being kicked in the nuts by a vicious villain, defuse the bomb with [Matricule Number] seconds remaining.

Of course there would be fights and pursuit and stealth, but it would be a part of the game.

If this game came out, I would be so all over it, that I guarantee that my wife would divorce me in a fortnight
    Howland wrote:
    I, for one, would love a game where you could create your own agent, have it start at rookie and make him evolve as a "00". I'd like a roleplaying game in the universe of 007. But it wouldn't be an endless shooter like the games nowadays. No, you would have to battle your nemesis in a game of poker, you would have to seduce the Bond Girl or more rather the [Name of your Agent] girl with witty dialogue, withstand being kicked in the nuts by a vicious villain, defuse the bomb with [Matricule Number] seconds remaining.

Of course there would be fights and pursuit and stealth, but it would be a part of the game.

If this game came out, I would be so all over it, that I guarantee that my wife would divorce me in a fortnight

This is the kind of thing I'd like too (except the divorce!!)
    I like the seemingly endless scope of a game like Skyrim. And the intricate detail and personality of GTA - I want something that melds the atmosphere and endless playability but in a 007 world. The straight forward nature of the missions in QOS or even Goldeneye are great fun but I want something more immersive and that is something that so many modern games achieve effortlessly but somehow evades the Bond games. What I'd give to be able to complete every mission from Dr No through to Skyfall! And to keep them as close to the movies as possible.
  • How about Timothy Dalton's PROPERTY OF A LADY? I know this has 0 chance but I would love for Tim to play Bond one last time!
  • Yeah sure but I hope Activision does not pull another Spiderman 2 for this.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't think I'd want an open-world Bond game. Non-linear yes. But, open-world? Well, I just don't see it fitting the Bondian type adventure as Bond is supposed to be rather cinematic and straightforward rather than saga-driven... If that makes sense.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I don't think I'd want an open-world Bond game. Non-linear yes. But, open-world? Well, I just don't see it fitting the Bondian type adventure as Bond is supposed to be rather cinematic and straightforward rather than saga-driven... If that makes sense.

I agree. It would remove any cinematic feel.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Here's the thing about open world games...

Open world games are like boards of monopoly or any sort of board games where you are someone, mostly, who goes on to conquer a territory. That's most of what GTA games represent. Or driving/racing games. Or let me mention a non-GTA game or two: The Godfather and Mafia.

Spy games are different. You're not there to conquer a city. You're there to carry out a storyline and stop a villainous plot. Alpha Protocol is as close to an "open-world" or non-linear spy game as we'll get, because other than that, it won't make sense and won't feel right.
  • With the James Bond franchise's rich history it will be easy converting it into a sandbox game. You can have multiple locations based on the films. Incorporate the cars, gadgets and weapons from the films. And make some dlcs so you can play as other bonds and experience their missions.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 784
    Rockstar started developing an open world spy game (perhaps vying for the bond license) but ended up killing the project. Bummer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_(video_game)
    Yes, 100% the direction it should take IMO. Bond games haven’t had it yet, and the possibilities are endless. Being able to just drop in on villain hideouts here and there, do race missions, card games and other cool Bondian things. Arkham-esque please.