Standardized templates for TV-Series topics

edited November 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 11,119
Is it not a good idea to give TV Series topics a standardized template? A bit like this:

"Game Of Thrones" (HBO, 2011 - present)
"Westworld" (HBO, 2016 - present)

"Narcos" (Netflix Original, 2015 - present)
"The Crown" (Netflix Original, 2016)
"House Of Cards" (Netflix Original, 2013 - present)
"Orange Is The New Black" (Netflix Original, 2013 - present)

"Transparent" (Amazon Original, 2014 - present)
"The Man In The High Castle" (Amazon Original, 2015 - present)

"Fargo" (FX/MGM, 2014 - present)
"The Americans" (FX/MGM, 2013 - present)

"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)
"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (CBS/Paramount, 1992 - 1999)
"Star Trek: Voyager" (UPN/Paramount, 1994 - 2001)

"DC Comics: The Flash" (The CW/WB, 2014 - present)
"DC Comics: Gotham" (Fox/WB, 2014 - present)

"Marvel: Luke Cage" (Netflix/Disney, 2016 - present)
"Marvel: Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." (Netflix/ABC, 2013 - present)

"Revenge" (ABC, 2011 - 2015)

"Better Call Saul" (AMC, 2015 - present)

....etcetera :-). I think by doing so, the topics in the TV Series section look a bit more structured and organized. In an eyewink you also see if the TV-Series is still running, is already finished, and by which channel/movie company it has been produced.

Comments

• Good idea?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Yes.
    Yes good idea, especially for Game of Thrones, Flash, Gotham, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and House of Cards
    ie those are the shows I watch :D
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,416
    No. Word tv series and year released.
    Example: 24 (tv. 2001)

No channels.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Agreed with this.
  • Perhaps a moderator likes to weigh in?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes. I approve of this idea too.
  • Any moderator care to weigh in?
  • I think this weekend I will send some private messages to one of the moderators in here :-S
  • ?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    But aren't there simply too many TV shows to open a thread for each of them?

Why not a Netflix Originals thread for instance where we can discuss all the shows that Netflix produces?

And Star Trek already has several threads as well. Just saying.
  • But aren't there simply too many TV shows to open a thread for each of them?

Why not a Netflix Originals thread for instance where we can discuss all the shows that Netflix produces?

And Star Trek already has several threads as well. Just saying.

I'm totally against a Netflix Originals topic. At least for "Star Trek" I can understand it slightly. But it's not as if there's some kind of 'Netflix Universe'. Every product of that online channel is unique and original, thus it deserves a separate topic. Moreover, this is the TV Series sub-section of the forums as well no :-)?
  • Sorry @DarthDimi. Je had tenminste even de moeite kunnen nemen om dit topic te bekijken :( !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,448
    We really have to attempt less threads, folks!!!! Please, look at the way things are going. Threads are growing like weeds: EVERYWHERE! This is a James Bond forum, and so for everything non-Bond, things should be like this:

STAR TREK: ONE (not 5, 6, 7, ... !!!!!!!!) thread, for all things Star Trek; movies, series, ...
    STAR WARS: Ditto
    TV shows: last show you've watched, show you're watching now, show you're excited about, ...

Many seem to think that by starting a new thread, one will get more quality discussion. In reality, most of these micro-threads die a slow death after half a page of posts, the last few typically bumps. Take a hint. If no-one wants to comment,

1) "?", "Anyone?", "No comments?" ... isn't going to help. It means no-one wants to comment and therefore won't.
    2) It's once again another thread wasted.

Sorry peeps, but we've been asking - FOR YEARS - to think things through before starting a new thread. This forum has almost as many threads as it has posts! So many threads in fact, people don't like to search for existing ones and open up new ones, duplicate ones! By the way, in some cases duplicate threads are opened by the same hosts because even they can't keep track of things anymore.

The motto is: less threads. LESS - LESS - LESS threads!

Furthermore, yes, The OA and Twin Peaks are both television series. But it's different and you all know it. Like Blade Runner is different from Moana. One will guarantee pages of clever and interesting content; the other will not. Twin Peaks will be talked about by many. The OA by a mere few and barely at all.

Don't hate me for this slightly harsher tone, but if folks refuse to co-operate, I simply see no alternative.

And before I'm accused of mod fascism or whatever, we have allowed all those Star Trek threads, haven't we? Against all common sense (it's a BOND FORUM!!!), but we have allowed them, even if some of them were flagged as duplicates, redundant or flat-out spam. We can tolerate a lot, but not an infinity of threads.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @DarthDimi is sometimes spot on, and this is one of those occasions.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2016 Posts: 7,969
    Well said @DarthDimi. If there is a new thread for every show then why not every actor, every song, every video game etc? This is primarily a Bond forum after all.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    So now is not the time for me to open a thread extolling the vertues of Trumpton and Camberwick Green then !.
  • Close this one too. And many more of my stupid ideas. Let it happen. I don't mind anymore. All the hard work I put in creating such initiatives. Just close it. Now.
    We have one. Chat thread-free discussion.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Well said @DarthDimi. If there is a new thread for every show then why not every actor, every song, every video game etc? This is primarily a Bond forum after all.

Yes, how about one thread for all non-Bond related discussion.

The problem is there are no clear forum rules for that. So at random similar topics will be closed. And at random similar topic are being kept alive for a very long time next to each other. Just look at the two separate topics about the US elections/Trump. For me as an outspoken autist it's just.....uuughhh!! >:P

I remember I was once posting a lot on http://forum.startrek.nl . At least there the forum rules were much much clearer. In here it becomes a crowded hothouse at times. And what do I get then? A moderator almost ranting/screaming at me...at the topicstarters.

With all due respect, it should be the moderator who needs to prevent all this by creating much clearer rules. But hey, who am I. I am the man of bad ideas. Moderators tend to forget that they have a way better overview of this forum than individual forummembers. ME included.
  • We have one. Chat thread-free discussion.

And I prefer to avoid that anarchistic chatbox. I prefer structure. That's the reason I started this topic. It's up to the moderators to come up with better rules first!
    Now you re rambling. No need to feel so upset. Dimi is doing his job. Once you calm down, you will perhaps understand that you got a bit carried away.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote: »

Yes, how about one thread for all non-Bond related discussion.

The problem is there are no clear forum rules for that. So at random similar topics will be closed. And at random similar topic are being kept alive for a very long time next to each other. Just look at the two separate topics about the US elections/Trump. For me as an outspoken autist it's just.....uuughhh!! >:P

I remember I was once posting a lot on http://forum.startrek.nl . At least there the forum rules were much much clearer. In here it becomes a crowded hothouse at times. And what do I get then? A moderator almost ranting/screaming at me...at the topicstarters.

With all due respect, it should be the moderator who needs to prevent all this by creating much clearer rules. But hey, who am I. I am the man of bad ideas. Moderators tend to forget that they have a way better overview of this forum than individual forummembers. ME included.

Don't you think you're overreacting just a hair? Instead of creating a new thread of the same topic, contribute to the old one, make it popular again. You might not have made it but it's still there. It's not all random like you think. You're ideas aren't stupid, quite the opposite.
    Gustav, come on, man. I have complimented many of your threads and the hard work you, indeed, put in them. They are much appreciated. But surely you can see the point. The only clear, structural rule imaginable would be "no separate thread for any TV show", but you can no doubt grasp the pointlessness of that. Some shows or franchises, like Star Trek for example, are big enough to warrant their own thread, even on a Bond forum. We all know there will be lengthy talks in those threads. In the FARGO thread, 8/12 posts were your own and there was barely any discussion going. Only one post was replied to; the rest were short, stand-alone statements about how great it is. In other words, nothing that cannot be dropped in one of the two general TV series threads.

In fact, it's often better to post about such shows in a general thread because those get many more visitors and so your post is more likely to be replied to there. Many folks scroll through all the recent threads and prioritise their visits based on what's hot. Threads like "last movie you watched" are visited by many on a daily basis and posted in by many on a daily basis and are therefore hot. Microthreads, like a single thread dedicated to a show like The OA, will be visited only by the most diligent of members who also have an opinion about the show, and rarely shall they contribute. Those threads, furthermore, have no "archiving" value, unlike for example Dr Who or Sherlock, shows that exist in a completely different order of magnitude and with ten if not twenty times as many fans as The OA or even Fargo.

Clear rules? Sadly that's impossible. There's no way to quantify the validity of a thread. But that's what the mods are for, amongst other things. We talk, we decide and then we may or may not close. Closing a thread is not a personal attack and it saddens me that it's often mistaken for such. In fact, that hurts. Furthermore, our forum is a pretty self-correcting structure. Many members flag a thread before the mods decide to close it. Also, we're pretty forgiving. We have allowed separate threads for separate Star Trek series, haven't we? But we can't display this level of tolerance ad infinitum.

As I've said before, this forum isn't a blog, nor that gawdawful medium called facebook. We want good discussions here, that's what a forum is all about, unlike blogs, which are mostly monologues. Some threads are monologues. And monologues don't belong here. And because of facebook, people sometimes think that the more you post, the more popular you'll get. It doesn't work that way. The avid facebook junky believes that the whole world is interested in pictures of him with his dog, him with his dog again but this time from a different angle, him with his dog once more but this time on that other couch, ... Well, this forum isn't facebook! We all have things we like to talk about, but there's always a general thread in which to test the water first and should it turn out a very hot topic, it can get its own thread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd rather there be none at all honestly. I like my forums like I like my Bond movies, free from real world politics.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DarthDimi, nothing more needs to be said, my friend. You've well covered why this is an issue.

@Gustav_Graves, you're frankly doing the pity party thing again, getting down on yourself to elicit some kind of softer reaction here from members. There's no need to take this silly business so harshly (or spit retorts at nice moderators), and in time you may see why this idea just isn't sustainable. You are proposing, just for starters, separate threads of approaching 20 TV shows (!), and you have no idea why it's a big issue on a discussion forum focused on Bond?

As Dimi said, some shows or films are culturally important, and so they get one thread on the pages for people to discuss them, like Star Wars, Sherlock, Batman and Doctor Who, but no more. But when we allow separate, independent threads for shows that I have no idea even existed, and most people haven't heard of, we've got an issue. There's no reason why we couldn't have a "Netflix Originals" thread where all the Netflix shows could be promoted by members for others to watch, and then those shows could be talked about if the interest was there amongst the community. It's why we have one thread for DC and Marvel films too, because there's no reason why "The Avengers," "Civil War," or "Ant-Man" or any of the rest should have their own threads.

As is, most of what you suggest deserves to go in the "Last TV Show You Watched" thread, which Dimi quite rightly points out will have far more traffic than any separate thread would, as the latter would quickly be pushed to the back pages and then we'd have to endure a dozen or so posts from you or others bumping it by saying things like, "anyone?" "I can't believe nobody wants to talk about this," etc. It's frankly annoying and doesn't help to engage discussion. If people don't want to talk about a show, they don't, and that's it. At least by putting your thoughts in a general thread like the TV thread above, there's a greater chance that you will get someone to read what you're saying instead of blowing it off when it's in a random thread at the bottom of the main page.

As a Bond forum, Bond should first and foremost get all special treatment and the most threads, by its very nature. Threads for other films and shows can exist, but only when there is a clear need for them, as they are culturally important and boast a big fan base, like those I mentioned. In the past few months it's gotten quite creator-happy around these parts where people think they can make several threads for the same sorts of topics, some of which are clear duplicates of older threads (some that they themselves created!). There's a subconscious arrogance there, but I won't give it further thought. It's just ridiculous for every show out there to have a separate thread, no matter how popular it may be, or that we have to have so many political threads, for instance. As much as I despise the latter, however, at least there's a base of members here who want to discuss that, whereas some shows you're advising threads be created for would see minuscule traffic and might as well not exist in the first place.

If people want to discuss certain shows that have little forum traffic here, they should hit Reddit or search for a forum for those films or shows where the kind of discussions you want to have can be held. As it stands, however, the MI6 Community is for Bond first and foremost, and all other shows and films must fall behind it as a salient rule-of-thumb.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I couldn't have said it better myself. And as you correctly point out, the mods aren't a bunch of trigger-happy a-holes whose only intention is to close threads for fun. We have enough 'closing' to do for the daily spam threads as it is. But some really obscure threads were conceived lately, and practically no-one cares to comment in them. Quality over quantity, folks. I don't mind dropping the 580th post in a thread that's going strong. Why then are some impelled towards kicking a brand new thread into gears for something that belongs in an already existing one, and as a consequence of that confuse a lot of our member who have no idea any more where to take that or any related discussion?

On a more personal note, it's really tiresome having to go through this routine time and again. When I closed those three threads yesterday, I did so in a polite manner. I explained the reasons, I thanked the member for his contributions and pointed him in a more suitable direction, inviting to continue there. I never said, "you suck, we don't want your thread!". I said, "Thank you for the alert but we really can't have a thread open for every TV show out there. We hope you understand. Please continue here... or here... Thank you." It was never agreed that we should go through the routine of setting up a meeting, then reaching diplomatic compromises, signing contracts, and having our people talk to your people. Neither am I going to say, "we're the mods, hear us roar, and you shall do as we say, puny member!" Some members expect the former, others actually expect the latter. Truth is, we're just members like everyone else, but then asked to do some housekeeping here and, well, sometimes fourteen almost empty boxes can be replaced by one that's full enough.

@Birdleson and @Murdock, you have no idea how much I'd love our forum bereft of political debates. The problem is, those discussions (or fights) would then - inevitably - end up in other threads and lay waste to otherwise good Bond discussions. One political thread, as a way to keep people who care about politics distracted while the rest of us are talking Bond, was a good idea. Then we closed the election one - a big mistake, I know - while allowing a newer thread to take a clean start (as the other one had grown bitter beyond belief) but that was a big mistake too, as the opposite party found this new one a tad too one-sided. And so that one time only, we did negotiate a truce: two threads, one for the anti-Trumpers, one for the pro-Trumpers. Since this is a binary thing, I'm confident no further forum space has to be wasted on it. Unlike with television shows, of which we can find hundreds and then a hundred more. But you're right, it shouldn't have to be this way. The two politics threads are the ugly duckling of our forum.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DarthDimi, let's just hope we don't get an influx of new members who are Trump-neutral. Then you'll have to allow a third political thread for those people to post in saying things like, "What did you all think about that thing Trump said today?" to which the commenters would reply, "I don't know, I can take it or leave it," and/or "I'm not judging at this stage." Who knows, the lack of argument in a thread like that would almost be refreshing when compared to the fights happening in the others.
    Yeah, we sure aren't going to allow a third political thread!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    We really have to attempt less threads, folks!!!! Please, look at the way things are going. Threads are growing like weeds: EVERYWHERE! This is a James Bond forum, and so for everything non-Bond, things should be like this:

STAR TREK: ONE (not 5, 6, 7, ... !!!!!!!!) thread, for all things Star Trek; movies, series, ...
    STAR WARS: Ditto
    TV shows: last show you've watched, show you're watching now, show you're excited about, ...

Many seem to think that by starting a new thread, one will get more quality discussion. In reality, most of these micro-threads die a slow death after half a page of posts, the last few typically bumps. Take a hint. If no-one wants to comment,

1) "?", "Anyone?", "No comments?" ... isn't going to help. It means no-one wants to comment and therefore won't.
    2) It's once again another thread wasted.

Sorry peeps, but we've been asking - FOR YEARS - to think things through before starting a new thread. This forum has almost as many threads as it has posts! So many threads in fact, people don't like to search for existing ones and open up new ones, duplicate ones! By the way, in some cases duplicate threads are opened by the same hosts because even they can't keep track of things anymore.

The motto is: less threads. LESS - LESS - LESS threads!

Furthermore, yes, The OA and Twin Peaks are both television series. But it's different and you all know it. Like Blade Runner is different from Moana. One will guarantee pages of clever and interesting content; the other will not. Twin Peaks will be talked about by many. The OA by a mere few and barely at all.

Don't hate me for this slightly harsher tone, but if folks refuse to co-operate, I simply see no alternative.

And before I'm accused of mod fascism or whatever, we have allowed all those Star Trek threads, haven't we? Against all common sense (it's a BOND FORUM!!!), but we have allowed them, even if some of them were flagged as duplicates, redundant or flat-out spam. We can tolerate a lot, but not an infinity of threads.

Okay, you made your point @DarthDimi. And since most of us agree with you, I can eventually live with that too.

But please one last thing. It is really not necessary to start such a long piece with loads of exclamation marks and clearly visible irritations. That's not how you should have said this I think. You could have uttered a friendly disagreement with this topic. Just saying.

No hard feelings though. I was looking forward to discuss some things about the TV-Series I have been watching as of late. I don't feel comfortable in discussing that in these 'aggregate' topics, because there's always a sense of anarchy in there. If I would post in there about "The Man In The High Castle", must of it will go unnoticed.

So I still need to find out what to do with that. Anyway, I hope you understand my worries, and I especially hope that there's at least a little bit of sense in my advice to the moderators as well. I wish you all a happy last day of 2016.