The Westworld Thread

TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
We're seven episodes into this brilliant new series, and I'm shocked that there is no thread on this. Maybe there's no interest. We'll see.

Any thoughts on the show so far are welcome. I will say that...
The Bernard reveal wasn't too surprising. I knew something was off because he was always wearing the same blue blazer and dark gray vest. That always made me wonder. But the kicker was the "What door?" question. That was it.

Great show.

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I'm 4 episodes in and it's shaping up really well. I won't open your spoiler just yet
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This show is absolutely phenomenal. It's been lightly discussed in the, last tv show watched thread, so it's good to see a dedicated thread for it. I would have done it myself but I'm too lazy. In any case I'm about to watch episode 7 now!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm really enjoying it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,548
    NicNac wrote: »
    I'm 4 episodes in and it's shaping up really well. I won't open your spoiler just yet

No, don't.

The layers just keep getting peeled.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Sylvester and Felix define a new level of moron. They pissed me off last week and even more this week. Idiots.

Edit:

Oh shit! Wow. Episode 7....damn.
    I couldnt get on with,tried and tried but gave up after episode 4....
    Not seen any of the TV series? But loved the original movie all those years ago.
  • Upto Episode 6 really enjoying the show has some great multi layered themes, think episode four is the best of the season so far. It's interesting that the humans are less sympathetic, the show highlights mans evil nature well.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    So, do the robots malfunction and go on the rampage every episode? If not what's it about?
    Oh the film is excellent,and Yul Brenner (as always) steals the show.I love the way he is dressed the same as he was in Magnificent Seven,a lovely nod to the older film.
    stag wrote: »
    So, do the robots malfunction and go on the rampage every episode? If not what's it about?

Some of the basic elements are still in place: Westworld as adult amusement park; AI as the feature of that park; something going wrong with the AI.

But...
    The emphasis is on the AI and the technicians, rather than the human guests. There are multiple story lines surrounding the AI and the techs, especially in regards to Robert Ford (played by Anthony Hopkins) who is one of two men who created the park and oversees it. As of yet, there are no other parks--Roman World or Medieval World.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    It took me a long time to get in to it. Although the two standout elements are the cinematography and some of the acting (Evan Rachel Wood, Jeffery Wright and Sir Anthony Hopkins especially and Ed Harris is always great to watch.)

Episode seven was a good example of one thing I like in long running TV shows and that is the naturally shifting tone and moral boundaries of the characters. If it's done smartly then they take you on a journey (both Sopranos and Breaking Bad are perfect examples of this). That is something that will keep me watching a show. Also - Westworld is benefitting from the fact that I'm not watching any other TV series at the moment - so it's really the only weekly show I'm sticking with at present and I'm cautiously optimistic about its future.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Episode 7 is very well done! Some nice nods to the past, as well.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The show is already called the best thing since TWD and GoT (in the media).
    Which troubles me.

Can somebody tell me if Westworld is the same annoying crap that has people scheming against each other for power as TWD and GoT is?
    Because if it's all about unlikable characters, I won't waste any time with it.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,432
    @BondJasonBond Westworld is on the surface similar to Game of Thrones though the writing is much more multi layered, it's really a deep analyses of the human condition highly recommend WW.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm loving Westworld, it's simply a very engaging story. With plenty of mysteries to be
    solved. Episode seven was fantastic television.
    I haven't watched GoT simply because I love the books so much and i'm waiting for them to conclude (which seems likely to be the 12th of Never).

But WW doesn't seem to be that kind of thing apart from the multiple characters all with their own agendas.

Some of the first 4 episodes were a struggle. I was sticking with it initially just to see Thandie Newton get her kit off. But, it slowly pulled me in, and by the end of episode 6 I was hooked.
    Honestly, Felix needs a punch in the face but things are really REALLY getting interesting. I have a few theories like
    William being the man in black

I'm really loving this series but my only gripe is Felix and Sylvester's idiocy giving rise to Mauve and the pending insurrection.
    7 episodes in and it's now officially Awesomeworld. Gripping.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    TripAces wrote:
    We're seven episodes into this brilliant new series, and I'm shocked that there is no thread on this. Maybe there's no interest. We'll see.

Any thoughts on the show so far are welcome. I will say that...
    The Bernard reveal wasn't too surprising. I knew something was off because he was always wearing the same blue blazer and dark gray vest. That always made me wonder. But the kicker was the "What door?" question. That was it.

Great show.

In saw the first four episodes. And I. AM. HOOKED.!!

This is what I call magnificent Sci-Fi.....WITH a good message to the world. The TV Series is obviously based on the 1973 MGM-movie. But I think the premise works better in serial form.

If I have to compare this with previous Sci-Fi films, then it has some aspects of the first "Hunger Games" movie, the holodeck episodes of "Star Trek". It's also interesting to see some parallels with "Ex-Machina", and how robots slowly realize that they have a conscience. The series also reminded me of the 'future' plot from "Cloud Atlas".
  • Is it not a good idea to give TV Series topics a standardized template? A bit like this:

"Game Of Thrones" (HBO, 2011 - present)
    "Westworld" (HBO, 2016 - present)

"Narcos" (Netflix Original, 2015 - present)
    "The Crown" (Netflix Original, 2016)
    "House Of Cards" (Netflix Original, 2013 - present)
    "Orange Is The New Black" (Netflix Original, 2013 - present)

"Transparent" (Amazon Original, 2014 - present)
    "The Man In The High Castle" (Amazon Original, 2015 - present)

"Fargo" (FX/MGM, 2014 - present)
    "The Americans" (FX/MGM, 2013 - present)

"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)
    "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (CBS/Paramount, 1992 - 1999)
    "Star Trek: Voyager" (UPN/Paramount, 1994 - 2001)

"DC Comics: The Flash" (The CW/WB, 2014 - present)
    "DC Comics: Gotham" (Fox/WB, 2014 - present)

"Marvel: Luke Cage" (Netflix/Disney, 2016 - present)
    "Marvel: Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." (Netflix/ABC, 2013 - present)

"Revenge" (ABC, 2011 - 2015)

"Better Call Saul" (AMC, 2015 - present)

....etcetera :-). I think by doing so, the topics in the TV Series section look a bit more structured and organbized.
    This show is messing with my head. LOL

Gotta love it.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,341
    TripAces wrote: »
    This show is messing with my head. LOL

Gotta love it.

Ditto
    I must say that when "Dolores" got out of that blue dress and donned those jeans and tight shirt and started running with William, I thought man, she is so hot.
    ...And Mauve (Thandie Newton) nuff said.

I am saddened to hear that only two episodes remain. Going to miss this show and the twists.
  • Just watched episodes 7 and 8 =D> so many great themes explored, this show certainly challenges the viewer.
    I am constantly brought back to what the Man in Black tells Teddy: "You are here to be the loser." The show really seems to be making statement on the nature of free will. Do we have actually have it? Or are most humans stuck in ruts that they can't get out of because it's the will of the universe?
    Do we know if season 2 has been commissioned?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    No word yet. I heard they were waiting to see how the viewership went when it had played in its entirety and maybe people could binge watch. The ratings are all over the place I think - its premiere did ok - not a patch on GOT or True Detective season one premieres but still decent. I think Walking Dead's return stole some of its 'watercooler' thunder.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After episode seven debuted, they released a video confirming season two, and one of the showrunners mentioned that the writers have been meeting for a few weeks now regarding season two, and since it takes so long to shoot, it'll probably premiere in 2018. Can't wait for more, but in the meantime, I'm looking forward to these final two episodes. The first eight have been phenomenal, particularly the premiere and the seventh episode.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    It it at least a couple of decades since I saw it but last hight I watched the original film. I had forgotten how good Yul Brynner was in the role of the gunslinger.

The original terminator.