Bond movie ranking (Simple list, no details)

Comments

We certainly learn more about Honey and her past in her short screentime than Natalya Simonova. All we learn from her is that she is a computer programmer at Servenaya....!

That's certainly true, but in terms of who the better actress is there's no comparison in my view.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I prefer Honey. Much more Fleming. Natalya is a Russian Computer Programmer.....yawn.
    A Russian computer programmer with charm and personality.
    Honey has charm and a fiery personality. She's a definite survivor.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    We certainly learn more about Honey and her past in her short screentime than Natalya Simonova. All we learn from her is that she is a computer programmer at Servenaya....!

That's certainly true, but in terms of who the better actress is there's no comparison in my view.

Oh there's no comparison in terms of acting ability and Andress was dubbed. But her lack of acting ability went someway in expressing the naivety of the character.
    Good point.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I prefer Honey. Much more Fleming. Natalya is a Russian Computer Programmer.....yawn.

Exactly. The difference is Fleming. In a few minutes we know more about Honey than we ever learn about Natalya over an entire movie!
    She's definitely attractive but, based on my last viewing of DN at least, I'm not entirely sure I find her as convincing when it comes to being vulnerable or distressed.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I rate GE over all of the rest.

Don't get me wrong, I like all Bond films, but GE is just mediocre in the cannon. What never ceases to puzzle and amuse on a personal level is when this film is rated highly on this site." Ultimately, it provides little more than a flashy, over-hyped, vapid, MTV-influenced pot-pourri of greatest hits moments which don't add up to a satisfying whole. It's like one of those mediocre compilation albums where you simply flick through to the songs you like, enjoying the few good bits, and arbitrarily disregarding the rest. Fleeting surface flash and gloss with no real heart or soul. Compared to the better films in the series, it is a fairly hollow Bond movie with an awful score and an adequate actor in the lead role.

Completely disagree. GE is a triumph with a capital oomph!
    I liked Natalya immensely and was probably my favorite Brosnan leading Bond girl, but I find Honey a far cooler character. No comparison for me,
    Financially not creatively.
    Both.
    Nope.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    GoldenEye certainly has an MTV "Greatest Hits" aspect to it but no more so than TSWLM did in the 70s.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I liked Natalya immensely and was probably my favorite Brosnan leading Bond girl, but I find Honey a far cooler character. No comparison for me,

If we were talking about Tracey or Pussy Galore then I would certainly agree with you.

I think I just find Andress/Honey kind of hollow myself in all honesty. It's the sort of role you could see the likes of Marilyn Monroe playing and she was hardly the world's greatest actress.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 7,975
    Or TND or DAD or SF or SP. Arguing over nothing.

The parts that are the most "Greatest Hits" don't impact the story anyway. That opening car chase, while irksome to some, doesn't greatly decide the course of the narrative. It's a throwaway couple minutes of fun and intended as such. Let your hair down once in a while.
    I've never rated Ursula Andress as an actress or Honey as a character..it only because she is the first major Bond girl that people defend her.

Natalya is a much better character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to say that if I had to choose one Bond babe out of all of them, it would probably be Natalya. Totally my kind of girl.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Boys with toys.
  • GBFGBF
    I still wonder why Honey was in the film. What does she actually add to the story? Would the film have been that different if she had not been in it? And what is the relevance of her back story? I have always had the feeling that she is only in the film so that they have a main Bond girl.
    GBF wrote: »
    I still wonder why Honey was in the film. What does she actually add to the story? Would the film have been that different if she had not been in it? And what is the relevance of her back story? I have always had the feeling that she is only in the film so that they have a main Bond girl.

How is that different from any of the other Bond movies?
    Well Honey was in the book to be fair.
    Getting back to the fact she was the original leading Bond girl, and that Fleming was alive during filming, I imagine if her character had been cut from DR NO Ian would have been pi$$ed. In addition, the phrase "Bond girl" probably wouldn't have been coined, and the further adventures of 007 might have had Sylvia Trench return in each film as sort of a Tess Trueheart to Bond. The series as we know it may have been quite different.
    Getting back to the fact she was the original leading Bond girl, and that Fleming was alive during filming, I imagine if her character had been cut from DR NO Ian would have been pi$$ed. In addition, the phrase "Bond girl" probably wouldn't have been coined, and the further adventures of 007 might have had Sylvia Trench return in each film as sort of a Tess Trueheart to Bond. The series as we know it may have been quite different.

Ian was always pissed,and I don't mean angry .

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Honey's contribution to the franchise is quite legendary. Moreover, it's essential. Just ask any male viewer of Bond.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Ian was always pissed,and I don't mean angry .

Ian was pissed (and I mean angry) after first watching Dr. No allegedly.
    I've heard that as well....
    I dread to think what he would have made of Moonraker.
    I think the only things he would have liked about gnat film were the (Earth) locations, Barry's music and the name "Goodhead".
    Yes. She is both deadly and innocent at the same time.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    She's a good character but I think she's played by a fairly superficial actress, and there's no doubt that her beauty was the main reason for her casting.