Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited November 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 17,687
Continue here please.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,687
    If you look at who Trump is surrounding himself with, I don't think you can say it's Obama all over again. If you've ever seen or read "The Handmaid's Tale" you'll know what this group will be aiming for IMO... :-S
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

As I quoted in the thread you just had closed some months ago from a classic tale:

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Give it a chance and then let's see.

This is a start, although it can be circumvented:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/11/16/trump-administration-will-ban-lobbyists-enact-five-year-lobbying-ban-after-leaving-government/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I really wish there wouldn't have been a new political thread allowed.
    It has no place in a Bond forum.

Stop moaning and let people have their fun. It is not like there is 007 news galore to discuss for now.

As long as there is civil discussion which has been the case mostly I do not see any problem if grown ups talk about politics.

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    Continue here please.

Okay then.

@peter I take on board your comments in your last post to me in the other thread.

I find it strange that the old thread was closed and this one - discussing the same subject - is opened in it's place?

Bond movies and books by their very nature intersect with politics to some degree, don't you think?
    bondjames wrote: »

This is a good thing IMO. Keep posting good thing like this @bondjames and I may be willing to embrace your POV on this President.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Jeff Sessions is also quite the man. People should read some biographies of this man. He scares me. And now he becomes US Attorney General (or secretary of justice).

One positive development: Trump is considering Mitt Romney as Secretary of State. Let's hope he becomes that. Because at least he was realistic about Russia. More so than Obama. I think he would be one of the rare 'progressive' voices in Trump's cabinet.

Although I think he will eventually loose out....
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,727
    stag wrote: »
    Continue here please.

Okay then.

@peter I take on board your comments in your last post to me in the other thread.

I find it strange that the old thread was closed and this one - discussing the same subject - is opened in it's place?

So do I, but there you go. I've not been following that thread though.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Continue here please.

Okay then.

So do I, but there you go. I've not been following that thread though.
    Indeed, so do I. Very strange, as is the cryptic title of this new thread. One can only hope that discussion is not going to be curtailed as a result of these changes, which some of us were not in favour of.

For those who come here to page 1 and don't know what this thread is about, it is a continuation of a highly entertaining and popular thread on the recent American election, which for reasons that elude me was recently closed. I am posting the old thread below for others to read if they wish to, and I will continue to refer to it in the future depending on the subtopic:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/14869/the-next-american-president-thread-2016#latest

I hope we have an interesting debate on this new thread.
    ----

Now, about Jeff Sessions: I don't know much about him, but here is marching with John Lewis in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Selma Civil Rights Marches (reference below):

Sessions2-1144x763.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches

Sessions has apparently fought segregation in Alabama, sought the death penalty for KKK members, voted to extend the Civil Rights Act, voted to affirm Obama's first Attorney General pick - African American Jeff Holder, led efforts to award the Congressional Gold Medal to civil rights activist Rosa Parks and campaigned against segregationist George Wallace.

He is a conservative, and tough on immigration and incarceration, but does not appear to be a racist.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/18/sessions-powerful-character-witness-racism-charge/

Let's see how the confirmation hearings go.

Regarding Russia: I prefer to take a wait and see attitude to what the incoming Administration's posture on this is. Russia has valid security interests on its western flank, and also has long standing interests in Syria. There can be no viable long term solution to the Syrian mess without active Russian and Iranian involvement, and the Trump Administration will have to devise an approach that recognizes and accomodates this reality.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Is there also a tiny bit of criticism you have @BondJames at certain....cabinet choices or cabinet rumours?

By the way, I liked Jon Stewrt's view on all this. He is actually quite understanding, and critical, of what happened in the USA. He's isn't fully slamming Trump, but instead looks at what got us there.
    the cryptic title of this new thread
    What is mysterious or obscure about the title? It seems pretty straightforward to me (but then, I chose it).
    RE: Appointments, it's perhaps too early to be critical. I don't like to play identity politics, and never have. I want to see what positions they lay out and how they do their jobs before being overly critical. In the meanwhile I'd prefer to be optimistic.

Now, about commenting on rumours - if you go back to the prior thread you will see me being critical on rumours. I can't quote it, which is rather annoying (and again calls into question why the thread was closed), but here are the respective comments I want to highlight (comments on Guiliani and Bolton):

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/670031/#Comment_670031

My further thoughts on Secretary of State are in this post:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/670598/#Comment_670598

I will continue to refer to the prior thread where discussion warrants it.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    the cryptic title of this new thread
    What is mysterious or obscure about the title? It seems pretty straightforward to me (but then, I chose it).
    To those who come across the thread for the first time, it's likely cryptic. It would help if you indicate we are discussing American Politics.

The revised title you had on the prior thread before you made a decision to close it again a few days back was better, in my humble view.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Continue here please.

Okay then.

@stag, I'm unsure of what you mean about taking on board my comment? I wholly agree with you my terminology was reckless, and my personal distaste and descriptives re: Trump can equally be applied to describe Hillary.

FYI - for those of you who want to highlight a prior post from the old thread like I did above, the way to do it is to go to the respective post in the old thread, position your cursor in the time (hr and minute) which is just below the poster's name in the respective post in question, right click copy and then come here and paste it into your post here.

PM me if you need help.
    FYI - for those of you who want to highlight a prior post from the old thread like I did above

I prefer to discuss directly without pointing out my past posts (which, some of them were good, the BEST! Using the best words!). :))
    FYI - for those of you who want to highlight a prior post from the old thread like I did above

I prefer to discuss directly without pointing out my past posts (which, some of them were good, the BEST! Using the best words!). :))
    You're welcome to do what you want to do. It's your thread after all. As long as you don't see a need to close another thread we'll be fine.

Now, have you given some thought to my suggestion to give the thread a more reflective title or not? That's what I'd like to know.

Now, have you given some thought to my suggestion to give the thread a more reflective title or not? That's what I'd like to know.
    I'm open to suggestions.
    What about what you had previously renamed the old thread to, namely The American Political Discussion Thread. It's reasonably clear and open ended.

Why you chose to change the name of the other one is still a mystery to me, as it was clear, and discussion was happening amongst participants after the change (perhaps with an occasional surprising spammer) quite regularly.
    Why you chose to change the name of the other one is still a mystery to me, as it was clear, and discussion was happening amongst participants after the change (perhaps with an occasional surprising spammer) quite regularly.
    I'm a mysterious kind of guy.
    And since this is MY tread, let me clue you in on the rules:
    1. Drop the ancillary nonsense & stick to meaningful discussion (don't be like Trump, in other words).
    2. Lighten up, dude.
    3. Be excellent to each other here.

Carry on.

I'm a mysterious kind of guy.
    And since this is MY tread, let me clue you in on the rules:
    1. Drop the ancillary nonsense & stick to meaningful discussion (don't be like Trump, in other words).
    2. Lighten up, dude.
    3. Be excellent to each other here.

Carry on.
    Thanks for the rules mate.

What ancillary nonsense are you talking about? About 5 people (on both threads) suggested not closing the old one, but you went ahead and did it anyway even though it makes it difficult to reference ongoing discussion. Now you're alluding that I'm like Trump? At least you and I know where we stand now.

I know it's your thread. You've made that quite clear, haven't you?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,687

What ancillary nonsense are you talking about? About 5 people (on both threads) suggested not closing the old one, but you went ahead and did it anyway even though it makes it difficult to reference ongoing discussion. Now you're alluding that I'm like Trump?
    What? THIS is difficult? Excuse me while I cry for you. THIS is nonsense. The mods will close this if you don't stop it & actually discuss stuff. :P

Now...
    What do Brexit and our election have in common?
    Or
    Will Putin soften his iron hand during a Trump administration?
    Or
    Is the Obama favoured TPP really dead (hope so)?

etc.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Someone new to the forum would have a hard time working out what this thread is about. The title nor the description offer any clear parameters for discussion.

What ancillary nonsense are you talking about? About 5 people (on both threads) suggested not closing the old one, but you went ahead and did it anyway even though it makes it difficult to reference ongoing discussion. Now you're alluding that I'm like Trump?
    What? THIS is difficult? Excuse me while I cry for you. THIS is nonsense. The mods will close this if you don't stop it & actually discuss stuff. :P

Now...
    Or
    Or
    Is the Obama favoured TTP really dead (hope so)?

etc.
    When you're ready to have a proper discussion, rather than circumventing one that was ongoing on your (yes, I got that loud and clear) thread, feel free to let me know.

If the mods want to close this, they can go right ahead and perhaps we can open one that won't be closed in the future on a whim.
    When you're ready to have a proper discussion
    NOW would be good, but you're stuck.

Not at all. Carry on, as you said. It's your thread. Take it away. Add some value.
    Not at all. Carry on, as you said. It's your thread. Take it away. Add some value.

Now...
    Or
    Or

Now...
    Or
    Or
    Carry on. Add some value. Put some meat on your new thread.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. Brexit and election are populist uprising against globalism and authoritarian left.

2. Positive relations between US and Russia is only a good thing, especially when we were almost daring them to push the nukes with death by sanctions.

3. TTP is already dead.
This discussion has been closed.