Will Skyfall be dedicated to John Barry!!?

edited January 2012 in Music Posts: 278
Being that John barry's DNA is stamped all over the Bond films, do you feel it would be a nice touch to have a tribute to him in some way on this film and being its the 50th year and all!?
Also.. if David Arnold was scoring the picture i wonder if he'd of tipped his hat to John Barry and brought that 60's feel right out of the screen??
Maybe Thomas Newman will do just that anyhow??

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I would hope, seeing as this is the 50th anniversary and all, that Skyfall is dedicated to all the people the Bond franchise has lost over the years.
    This would be very welcome and nice to see! Or should i say hear! Both 007 themes should be used in this one!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It would be decent. The fact to the matter is though that the series and Barry had more or less parted their ways a quarter of a century ago. In the end, they didn't dedicate a film to the likes of Peter Hunt or Terence Young either.
    That's a reasonable point. However and i mean no disrespect here. We are talking about a massive influence on the majority of the series. One of the things people anticipate in the Bond movies is the music!

John Barry started something special all those years ago! The title song performers always cite Bassey! The musical directors that follow always try and emulate Barry to a degree.

I'm Still waiting for one to be dedicated to Fleming!!!!!!!!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RogueAgent wrote:
    One of the things people anticipate in the Bond movies is the music!

Until I came to these forums, no Bond fan I talked to cared about the music. Personally, as long as the Bond theme plays somewhere, I don't care, too much.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    RogueAgent wrote:

Until I came to these forums, no Bond fan I talked to cared about the music. Personally, as long as the Bond theme plays somewhere, I don't care, too much.

On the old MI6forums, many said they became Bond fans after hearing Barry's music.

RogueAgent wrote:

On the old MI6forums, many said they became Bond fans after hearing Barry's music.

I had seen and enjoyed every film (at the time, this was 2005, I believe) long before I knew who John Barry was. I recognized his style of music (I guess is the way to put it) because all the movies he scored sounded similar to me, even if the music was radically different, but until 2005 or so, I didn't know who he was (the music credit in each movie seemed to pass me by, somehow).
    With all the winks and nods in DAD for the 40th anniversary? I think the music should wink and nod abit for the 50th?!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    With all the winks and nods in DAD for the 40th anniversary? I think the music should wink and nod abit for the 50th?!

Just a shame DAD was such a let down otherwise. Hope Skyfall really delivers.
    Volante wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Just a shame DAD was such a let down otherwise. Hope Skyfall really delivers.

It needs to with all the hype they are giving it? Look at all the differing thoughts and views on here! :))
    Virage wrote:

Every film opens with Fleming's name...
    How many of the other films have been dedicated to people? Was it GE that was dedicated to Cubby? I don't think Desmond Llewelyn had any dedications and he was involved in more films than Barry.
    TND was dedicated to Cubby. GE was dedicated to Derek Meddings and John Stears iirc.
  • Newman's score for The Good German echoes the 40's scores of Steiner, Waxman and his own father's while holding onto Newmans own harmonic and rhythmic style. I am sure he could do the same for Skyfall
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I hope so. To my mind, Barry is just as integral to the franchise as Connery and Cubby.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Virage wrote:

Everything Bond says Albert R. Broccoli's EON Productions Presents FILL IN NAME HERE As Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 In...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Virage wrote:

Everything Bond says Albert R. Broccoli's EON Productions Presents FILL IN NAME HERE As Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 In...

Broccoli had TND dedicated to him..
    Would be surprised if it were not.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Virage wrote:

In the title sequence for OHMSS its presented as Ian flemings On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Eon productions came after he split with saltzman after TMWTGG if i remember correctly. danjaq produced the movie's until TSWLM
    At the very least, I would like Newman to reintroduce the '007 Theme' from From Russia With Love.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I think it would a nice gesture, but they never did one for Lois Maxwell so who knows.
    SJK91 wrote:
    At the very least, I would like Newman to reintroduce the '007 Theme' from From Russia With Love.

I would love that, think moonraker is last film to use that piece of music. was admittedly slower paced in MR.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,310
    SJK91 wrote:

I would love that, think moonraker is last film to use that piece of music. was admittedly slower paced in MR.
    While the Moonraker version is an absolutely beautiful track on its own, I feel that it was somewhat inappropriately used in the film. The boat chase kind of felt like it was lumbering to me because of the slower pace of the music....

But as I said, by itself it is a magnificent piece. I think if it comes back in Skyfall it should be set to an action scene at a quicker pace. (A la FRWL or TB)
    Agreed i have several versions of 007 from various john barry albums. its make's the roof top chase scene at kobie docks in YOLT.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    TND was dedicated to Cubby. GE was dedicated to Derek Meddings and John Stears iirc.

Wasn't TWINE towards Llewelyn?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I thought he died a few days after the premiere?
    Steven wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I thought he died a few days after the premiere?

I know my DVD copy at the end has a dedication to him. Maybe it didn't on the films release though..
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Virage wrote:

Like I said, every film opens with Fleming's name. Maybe not literally his name as the first two words appearing on screen, but within 30 seconds of the beginning of the main title sequence we will have read 'Ian Fleming'.

My point therefore is that the films have so far all paid deference to the man's wonderful legacy. 'Dedicated to Ian Fleming' isn't as powerful IMO as constantly reminding us that our beloved cinematic icon, James Bond, is in fact a product of Ian Fleming's remarkable creativity.

And lest I'm mistaken, Dana Broccoli was lovingly remembered at the end of CR.