Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Finished my playthrough of Bloodstone, the first time in, maybe 2 years or so. In light of Spectre, when Nicole says "He is everythere..." I guess that now means Blofeld? I think I have been a bit harsh on the on-foot sections. It's not really that they're bad as such, it's just that they aren't quite on par with the driving missions, which are the best of any Bond game, especially that last mission, the car chase between Bond and Nicole. Now to try out the 007 difficulty mode....
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Call of duty modern warfare 2

Probably the best CoD game.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Finished my playthrough of Bloodstone, the first time in, maybe 2 years or so. In light of Spectre, when Nicole says "He is everythere..." I guess that now means Blofeld? I think I have been a bit harsh on the on-foot sections. It's not really that they're bad as such, it's just that they aren't quite on par with the driving missions, which are the best of any Bond game, especially that last mission, the car chase between Bond and Nicole. Now to try out the 007 difficulty mode....

I've been wanting to do a replay of it myself, @MajorDSmythe. Probably my favorite Bond game, next to the QoS PS2 port. I'd do anything to get another Bond game in its style that used the same mechanics like how From Russia with Love used Everything or Nothing's.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I've been wanting to do a replay of it myself, @MajorDSmythe. Probably my favorite Bond game, next to the QoS PS2 port. I'd do anything to get another Bond game in its style that used the same mechanics like how From Russia with Love used Everything or Nothing's.

From what I remember of the PS2 port of QOS, it was better than the PS3 port. Not graphically, but in the game play it was. The Sienna chase was a chase, not a shooting gallery.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

From what I remember of the PS2 port of QOS, it was better than the PS3 port. Not graphically, but in the game play it was. The Sienna chase was a chase, not a shooting gallery.

@MajorDSmythe, I enjoy the PS2 QoS much more, for sure. If only it'd gotten the next gen treatment instead of the COD clone we got on the systems.

I played the PS2 QoS a bit today, going through my favorite levels, and it's easy to see it got the short end of the stick in many ways. The developer tried their best, but the limitations of the system are obvious in how the game is constructed. Many of the levels are over very quickly, and the controls are less than polished. After playing Blood Stone and seeing third person gameplay mechanics mostly executed well, the PS2 QoS suffers. But with how advanced games are these days, it's hard to be satisfied going back to any old games after experiencing all that's on offer today.

I'd love to see another Bond game with the same controls and mechanics as Blood Stone, axing the lock-on special aiming gimmick and improving the combat with actual combat mechanics that allow you to punch and kick as opposed to just hitting a button for a quick takedown.

In 2008 a game came out called The Bourne Conspiracy that adapted The Bourne Identity into a series of exciting levels, and it's one of my favorite games of the last gen.

It's got great combat like the films, cool level design and some nice gameplay surprises. I'd like to see that kind of combat adapted to a Bond game that feels visceral and fun to use.

I highly, highly recommend the game to people that haven't played it.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,882
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I agree, The Bourne Conspiracy is a very underrated game. It's funny that you should bring that game up now, as I was looking at my copy today.

It is indeed tough going back to older games. One of my favourite PS2 games is Cold Winter. But playing it now, the game looks as rough as a badger's behind. It is still one of my absolute favourite games in all of the years that I have been a gamer. I liken it to a Dalton-ised version of DAD only darker, tougher and better written (the story was written by VARGR's own Warren Ellis).

What I would like is a fully controllable combat system. So for example, the controller layout is automatically mapped for armed combat, but hit say... R3, and whereas SQUARE was reload, now it becomes the left hand for punching, O might have been to attach/remove silencer, that now becomes the right hand. TRIANGLE might have been to crouch, that now becomes the button to headbut. X was fire, now becomes the kick option. By mixing up any number of combos, changes the type of attack.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @MajorDSmythe, I just reinstalled The Bourne Conspiracy back on my PS3 yesterday, as I plan to run through it again soon.
    Batman the telltale series and honestly I love it and am annoyed by it in equal measures
    Been thinking of playing Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992) again. Two of my favorites, and certainly my favorites in the Sonic series.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    full.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Why do people still play CoD or Battlefield? Why do people still pay $60 for a reskinned version of the game they played last year and the year before and the year before and the year before and the year before and the year before [the sad thing is I can go on]? Is getting as close to the top on a hacked leaderboard really that important in your life?
  • I finally got wise. I still haven't gotten any of them past COD Ghost.
    If the COD4 Remastered version eventually gets sold separately I might bite, but so far it's packed only with the new Infinite Warfare. No thanks!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Activision stated that it'll never get released separately, but I bet that'll change if sales of Infinite Warfare either slump (because nobody's buying the double pack) or exceed expectations (because people are buying the double pack).
    edited November 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @Agent007391, you're just jealous that you can't do a 360 no-scope across the map.

LOL ROFL. COD rulez, Battlefield blowz.
    #YOLO
    That's what you think.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    YOLO
    WORD!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    It's really time a new shooter comes to rise. Not even Doom nor Quake held that much of a lengthy period popularity the way COD and Battlefield do... Something is definitely wrong with the gaming industry...
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    It's really time a new shooter comes to rise. Not even Doom nor Quake held that much of a lengthy period popularity the way COD and Battlefield do... Something is definitely wrong with the gaming industry...

There is a huge opportunity right now for the gaming industry. If one company would think to make a shooter that wasn't a COD clone, it would receive such a warm welcome and would sell like crazy. All they would need to do is remove aiming down the sights and allow unlimited weapon carry, and build from there. It would be to shooters what Yooka-Laylee is to 3D platformers; a return to the roots that make them great. It would be such a breath of fresh air.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

There is a huge opportunity right now for the gaming industry. If one company would think to make a shooter that wasn't a COD clone, it would receive such a warm welcome and would sell like crazy. All they would need to do is remove aiming down the sights and allow unlimited weapon carry, and build from there. It would be to shooters what Yooka-Laylee is to 3D platformers; a return to the roots that make them great. It would be such a breath of fresh air.
    As well as remove the QTE system, the first-person cutscenes and make the jumping performance as well as leapovers advanced and high. Also please no regenerating health bar. Give us a proper health/armour system.

As well as remove the QTE system, the first-person cutscenes and make the jumping performance as well as leapovers advanced and high. Also please no regenerating health bar. Give us a proper health/armour system.

Yes! All of this.
    full.jpg

It isn't my favourite Bond game, but Goldeneye was ground breaking in ways that COD will never be. Goldeneye didn't just set a new standard for Bond, but for the videogame medium itself.
    On episode 3 of telltale's batman game and I am finding I enjoy the game and world more and more
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Has anyone played No Mans Sky? I heard mixed things, but I'm in need of a new game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's a good concept but nothing to make it worthwhile. A good substitute would be Starbound. It's a 2D game where you can travel all around the universe with different planets and biomes. It's also got decent combat and interesting places to visit. It's only for the PC as far as I know.
    Has anyone played No Mans Sky? I heard mixed things, but I'm in need of a new game.

@Last_Rat_Standing Sitting in a doctor's waiting room is about as fun as NMS. The sheer number of things promised in the trailers that the game doesn't deliver is staggering. After a few hours of play, you realize all the planets look very "samey" and you lose all desire to explore. The procedural generation is a real let down. You'll notice that you've seen that same plant before, except now it's purple. If you name a plant or animal on one planet, it only carries that name on that planet, and no where else. Due to the size of the game, not only will you never see another player, it's unlikely that anyone will ever see anything that you've discovered and named. I found the lack of personalization to be one of the biggest problems. You can't build bases or even name your ship! As an Amazon reviewer put it, it's "A game about nothing in a universe where nothing happens." It might be worth checking out for a price around $10 to play for a couple hours and never touch again, but anything more isn't worth it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Thanks for the advice. I'm a huge player of Fallout and FarCry, so I'm on the hunt for something similar
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,432
    FIFA 17 first impressions are ok, downloaded it for free expires on 27th November it's a Xbox One black Friday thing. Not sure whether I'll purchase the game as yet...
    I've been bouncing back and forth between a few things, mostly Resident Evil titles, Metal Gear Rising and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, which is free on Uplay for November, if you've got an interest in it.
    Just played a little TWINE N64. This game really is pretty good. I'm always surprised by how good the multiplayer bots are. It's actually a challenge to fight them, and they've even managed to sneak up on me a few times. Very impressive for A.I. running on an N64.

I experienced a strange glitch while playing the 'Masquerade" level. At the end, when you have to leap for the hanging bar and slide away from the blast, I jumped, and missed (I've always thought the hit box should be bigger on the bar). With only a few seconds to spare, I stepped back, jumped, and got it at the last possible moment. The animation played of GCI Brosnan gliding away from the fireball, and I thought I had won. As soon as the animation ended, it played the death animation, and displayed a mission failed screen. Apparently I both lived and died.

I was Schrödinger's Bond.