Bonfire Night (or Guy Fawkes Night or Firework Night) : November 5th

edited November 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
Hello all,

Just realised we haven't got a thread on the great British Bonfire Night ,so now we do.

Feel free to let us all know what you are planning for the night,and put any photos of the night (and the drunken revelry that usually accompanies it) on here.

And any photos of Guy's (that's effigies of Guy Fawkes peeps,im not that way inclined !) that are to be burned as well.

Enjoy !...and may a rocket shoot up your backside this year................

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Clue me in, please. What is Bonfire Night? :)
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Also known as Guy Fawkes Night....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
    Have a read of this DD ..you will find it interesting I think ;) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
    Although he was actually a Catholic Spaniard called Guido Fawkes,and apart from being caught planting gunpowder under Parliament,he didn't do much else but gets a roasting every year,compared to other plotters who did much more !!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Great idea for a thread! I wish it well.

There's always a Bonfire in nearby villages. I may even go to one this year for the first time in ages! :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Pardon my blasphemous remark but that means we're talking V For Vendetta stuff. That 'guy' right? ;-)

Nah, I'm a trifle more culturally aware than that thank god. I guess I had missed the Fawkes link. If you say bonfire, I'm actually thinking of The Night Of The Living Dead. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Pardon my blasphemous remark but that means we're talking V For Vendetta stuff. That 'guy' right? ;-)

Nah, I'm a trifle more culturally aware than that thank god. I guess I had missed the Fawkes link. If you say bonfire, I'm actually thinking of The Night Of The Living Dead. ;-)

V had the same objectives, yes.
  • As an ignorant American, I've been aware of Guy Fawkes Night since well before V for Vendetta but I really can't remember why. I guess I'm just a cultural magpie. Anyway, have a drink for me & maybe burn a Donald Trump effigy in my honor.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 19,339
    As an ignorant American, I've been aware of Guy Fawkes Night since well before V for Vendetta but I really can't remember why. I guess I'm just a cultural magpie. Anyway, have a drink for me & maybe burn a Donald Trump effigy in my honor.[/]quote]

Hahaha brilliant !
    As an ignorant American, I've been aware of Guy Fawkes Night since well before V for Vendetta but I really can't remember why. I guess I'm just a cultural magpie. Anyway, have a drink for me & maybe burn a Donald Trump effigy in my honor.

I take it that you had a "trumpkin" on display last night then?

Trumpkin-large_trans++XLf5rZYUXGKwZgSx01hvqPQI0ZKfw03qC5Ywj9scPQs.png
  • Oh, that's a good'un Draggers!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    :))

oh that's mean but tremendously funny
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Guy Fawkes was born in my current place of residence, good ol' York. In fact, I walked past the 'Guy Fawkes Inn' just yesterday. I'll probably pop down to the pub on the 5th (I'm spoilt for choice as apparently there are more pubs in York than there are days in the year!).
    Guy Fawkes was born in my current place of residence, good ol' York. In fact, I walked past the 'Guy Fawkes Inn' just yesterday. I'll probably pop down to the pub on the 5th (I'm spoilt for choice as apparently there are more pubs in York than there are days in the year!).

Just as long as you are not plotting treason.
    ;)
    edited November 2016 Posts: 5,080
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Just as long as you are not plotting treason.
    ;)

Wouldn't dream of it ;))
    I used to enjoy it until i realised how much distress it causes to wildlife. Not to mention idiotic yobs who throw them at people. For me I think it should be just organised events that handle fireworks and not the public. It won't ever happen though as their is too much money in it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Very true, @RogueAgent. very true. Since I have had my dog, I haven't looked on them in the same way. As usual, fireworks have already been going off sporadically, 'round my way, for the last few days. Just this evening, two loud ones went off nearby, and my dog was trembling for about half an hour.

Then you see these cretins stopping fire engines getting to where they need to go. Well, I just hope that one day, when a loved one of one of these darwin award nominees needs help, the emergency services won't be able to get to them. Maybe then they will realize what they did (probably not).
    Very true, @RogueAgent. very true. Since I have had my dog, I haven't looked on them in the same way. As usual, fireworks have already been going off sporadically, 'round my way, for the last few days. Just this evening, two loud ones went off nearby, and my dog was trembling for about half an hour.

Then you see these cretins stopping fire engines getting to where they need to go. Well, I just hope that one day, when a loved one of one of these darwin award nominees needs help, the emergency services won't be able to get to them. Maybe then they will realize what they did (probably not).

Hear hear !!!

It doesn't look like its going to rain for tonight,Bonfire night tomorrow,or Sunday,but its going to cold (which it should be,it IS November !)
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Well, tonight we have a little festival here that myself and my daughter are going to. Lots of events and an evening where there'll be lights, art, projection and performances. Light Up Lancaster is great to have round here and a warm up before bonfire night and the fireworks show from Lancaster Castle tomorrow.

lightuplancaster.co.uk
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2016 Posts: 5,131

I love York.....up the road from me in Harrogate. One of the best looking cities in the UK. As you say Guy Faulkes went to School there.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I love York.....up the road from me in Harrogate. One of the best looking cities in the UK. As you say Guy Faulkes went to School there.

Indeed, York is beautiful, especially this time of the year. Birthplace of John Barry and Dame Judi Dench, no less!
    I used to live in York. The Mecca Bingo Hall on Fishergate used to be John Barry's father's cinema and theatre.
    Well, tonight we have a little festival here that myself and my daughter are going to. Lots of events and an evening where there'll be lights, art, projection and performances. Light Up Lancaster is great to have round here and a warm up before bonfire night and the fireworks show from Lancaster Castle tomorrow.

lightuplancaster.co.uk

And I now live in Morecambe and maybe going to the fireworks at Lancaster castle!
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,151
    tanaka123 wrote: »

lightuplancaster.co.uk

And I now live in Morecambe and maybe going to the fireworks at Lancaster castle!

Good stuff. Always good and things going on over the weekend. Did you go to the display in Morecambe last night?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

There's always a Bonfire in nearby villages. I may even go to one this year for the first time in ages! :)

Villages? Where do you live? Bag End? ;)
    doubleoego wrote: »

Villages? Where do you live? Bag End? ;)

Northern Ireland is full of villages! :D
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    I know that pub well, spent many an hour there and also stayed over last year. Do you like York? I also live near York.
    I am taking the kids to a place called York maze for a bonfire extravaganza, live music, fireworks etc etc.
    Random bond links, Dame Judi and John Barry both come from York.
    A giant firework just exploded directly over my flat ,im sure the building shook...scared the crap out of Bonnie and Clyde here!!
    Have a fun and safe night tonight Great Britain !!!

Right...hot dogs ready...little pot of baked beans ready...baked potato ready....cider ? definately ready,but i will be drinking that starting in about 30mins....hic hic ;)