FBI shuts down megaupload.com

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited January 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 15,692

Comments

• tqbtqb
    =[
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Thank God I stopped using MegaUpload weeks ago.
    jeez i downloaded the dark knight prologue from there this morning yikes... oh well
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 660
    After MegaUpload was taken down by US feds, the internet group Anonymous responded by taking down the US Department of Justice website, as well as several other record label companies.

"In one of the U.S. government's largest anti-piracy crackdowns ever, federal agents on Thursday arrested the leaders of and shut down Megaupload.com, a popular hub for illegal media downloads.

Hours later, Megaupload's fans turned the table on the feds. "Hacktivist" collective Anonymous said it set its sights on the U.S. Department of Justice and apparently knocked the agency's website offline.

"We are having website problems, but we're not sure what it's from," a DOJ spokeswoman told CNNMoney.
    The DOJ website glitches came soon after various Twitter accounts associated with Anonymous took aim at the agency.

Anonymous's favorite weapon for these attacks is what's called a "distributed denial of service" (DDoS) attack, which directs a flood of traffic to a website and temporarily crashes it by overwhelming its servers. It doesn't actually involve any hacking or security breaches.

"One thing is certain: EXPECT US! #Megaupload" read one tweet from AnonOps that went out mid-afternoon.

One hour later, the same account tweeted a victory message: "Tango down! http://universalmusic.com & http://www.justice.gov// #Megaupload"

It was the largest attack ever by Anonymous, according to an Anonymous representative, with 5,635 people using a networking tool called a "low orbit ion cannon." A LOIC is software tool that aims a massive flood of traffic at a targeted site."

Full article here

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/19/technology/megaupload_shutdown/
    edited January 2012 Posts: 581
    did you know that Alecia Keyes who did the another way to die song for QOS- her husband is the co-founder of Megaupload
  • Anonymous@YourAnonNewsFollowing Looks like Warner Music Group - wmg.com - is Tango Down | #megaupload #OpMegaupload#Anonymous

another site hacked
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Wow, that took a while. Another one bits the dust but more will follow I'm sure.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,635
    Poor MU, i've used it to get most of my programs, games and cracks... i'll miss that, it's going to get a whole empire down by now.
    002 wrote:
    Good for Anonnymous

did u know that Alecia Keyes who did the another way to die song for QOS- her husband is the co-founder of Megaupload

First, is Alicia Keys... second, use ortography.

Damn, i'm not a teacher, but I hate to see errors on sentences. And what country did you came from?
    Some people are just not good at reading......for example Vince McMahon......and yet he's one of the 500 richest in US despite dyslexia ;)
    I Thought SPOA didn't get through....

Oh well that's never stoped the USG....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 23,586
    Some material is simply not available where I live or not available at all. How about DVD's that have long been out of print or very old movies that never made it to DVD in the first place? Several rarities that I wouldn't mind paying for but which I cannot find in any store or even on Amazon? If I could find it on Megaupload... ?
    ^ I know last year here in NZ they passed this three strikes law to stop Internet piracy by the person downloading the stuff (They don't care that much about images). BUT I give the fact there's nowhere to buy stuff leagly I mean we have iTunes but it's only Music and Movies, so no Books, TV and local mags on Newstand. But the Music and Movies is proberbly under a half of what the US have got. I search for a song blank, go to google "Song ITunes" Sucsess!! Clicks buy message appears "sorry not available on the NZ store"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Is New Zealand the backwater of the world, or something? That sucks, it's such a beautiful country.
    If this is part of some massive attempt to strike at internet piracy, they are not going to prevail no matter what. There are more creative forces at work than anyone hiding behind the law can counter.

One of many reasons why people download virtually at will, besides the ease with which it is done, is the often ridiculous pricing of DVDs and CDs in stores. Now I'm not saying they should give those away for free, like charity, but even if the average film were priced $9 instead of $20, they'd still make money on it.

Also, many people feel like we should have open access to these forms of entertainment. We buy highly priced tickets if we want to get the theatrical experience. Also, we buy DVD and BR players for home entertainment. At one point, many folks feel like that's enough and there's from that point on no more need to spend even more money on a particular film. Though I still buy my DVDs, mostly because I'm a collector and I like to 'admire' the covers and casings, I can perfectly understand that enough is enough for some. $15 for a 3D cinema ticket and concessions + another $25 for the BR edition means $40 for just one film so to speak. A little overpriced?
    I've gotten to the point where I don't even go to the theater anymore, unless somebody else pays (which, of course, doesn't happen often).
    I've gotten to the point where I don't even go to the theater anymore, unless somebody else pays (which, of course, doesn't happen often).

I wouldn't follow that MO myself. Some films, it should be pointed out, are simply more enjoyable in many ways when watched in a theatre, preferably in the presence of a good audience. The large screen and sophisticated sound systems usually provide a far better experience than anything mimicking these well-developed conditions at home. Though home entertainment certainly has its advantages, some films simply require a theatrical viewing for the best possible experience.

Shows like the current season of Chuck aren't available anywhere like iTunes, Hulu, or even NBC's own website so what happens if someone wants to watch a Season 5 episode and is willing to pay for a iTunes version or even the season pass on iTunes but can't because it isn't available. Typically it means downloading an HD recording of sites like megaupload. The question in this situation is whether its violating copyrights by downloading an episode off megaupload that was recorded by someone else who didn't even have to pay for it. I say no despite the fact that these downloads get pulled which is insane since if they just made it available they could make some money off the show before they even release it on DVD/Blu-ray which in my opinion is often to long of a window but that's another topic. Plus by the fact that one can record episodes and keep them on their DVR's hard drive without paying a dime. I get it when it comes to ripped DVD's and Blu-ray's but TV programing should not be in this category. Like others have said if a movie isn't available in one's country it sorta of puts the consumer in a very difficult position. What other choice do they have if they want to see the movie or TV show.
    I prefer cinema to my Pioneer home-cinema system. Mostly because of the ambience and it is the way to see some movies.

Everytime they show an old 007 movie at my local cinema I go and watch it on the big screen. Why, simply because it looks brilliant on the big screen. (even if I have all in UE on dvd).

I saw Raider of the lost Ark recently in the cinema........Absolutely better looking on the big screen.
  • Tracy wrote:
    Some people are just not good at reading......for example Vince McMahon......and yet he's one of the 500 richest in US despite dyslexia ;)

isn't he the old guy who's in charge of the wrestling???
  • but I like megaupload. I officially hate the FBI.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

I wouldn't follow that MO myself. Some films, it should be pointed out, are simply more enjoyable in many ways when watched in a theatre, preferably in the presence of a good audience. The large screen and sophisticated sound systems usually provide a far better experience than anything mimicking these well-developed conditions at home. Though home entertainment certainly has its advantages, some films simply require a theatrical viewing for the best possible experience.

Like SKYFALL! I do agree @Dimi. The theatre is one of the best settings known to man, sans the crying babies and texting teens.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I do love going at the movies - I work there !! but it is simply impossible to watch all the movies that come out every week... Yes films like Bond, Mission Impossible and co. should be seen in theatres... but there are some movies I saw on my computer that I am glad I didn't shell out 8 euros to see...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I do love going at the movies - I work there !! but it is simply impossible to watch all the movies that come out every week... Yes films like Bond, Mission Impossible and co. should be seen in theatres... but there are some movies I saw on my computer that I am glad I didn't shell out 8 euros to see...

Oh cool! Do you get a dicount to watch the films there??
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,692

Yes there is a good discount... but honestly I work at the place, I'm not going to spend my day offs at the same place... ;) But there are some things I can't resist - like playing video games there on the huge screen and dolby surround sound system !

Yes there is a good discount... but honestly I work at the place, I'm not going to spend my day offs at the same place... ;) But there are some things I can't resist - like playing video games there on the huge screen and dolby surround sound system !

I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!! :((
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,692

I don't play all the time you know ;) Just sometimes with my work mates. Honestly 98% of the time I work.

I don't play all the time you know ;) Just sometimes with my work mates. Honestly 98% of the time I work.

I mean about the discount to watch films. That is brilliant. And you probably get a discount on popcorn and soda too.
    I'm afraid you know too much now, so I'll have to kill you........
    I'm afraid you know too much now, so I'll have to kill you........

It will be an interesting fight. We are both professionals, doing a job... ;)
    We are both professionals, doing a job... ;)

Derailing topics ? Yes we are good... I even derail my own threads !!