No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Late to the party, and having never seen John Wick prior, I must say that I share the opinion of @LeonardPine re: the nightclub scene. Was waiting for it to end.

Thanks @IncompetentHenchman

Cannot for the life of me understand the love for this tedious p.o.s
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,985
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes DAF has great dialogue. Memorable, witty, funny, hilarious.
    I always thought that myself. Some of the dialogue is clever, witty and far from being for 9 year olds. Probably the best of all the films for one liners.

"Go blow up your pants...."

Inspiring stuff....
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You seem to forget that it was an "independent" and "tough" woman from the '70s talking... Did you expect an upper class behaviour from everyone in the '70s?
    No. Just highlighting the "clever and witty" dialogue.....
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes DAF has great dialogue. Memorable, witty, funny, hilarious.
    I always thought that myself. Some of the dialogue is clever, witty and far from being for 9 year olds. Probably the best of all the films for one liners.

"Go blow up your pants...."

Inspiring stuff....

Yes, you got me on that one.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Blofeld and Bond's dialogue, although Tiffany did get a good line which was something about 'The 3 pigs guarding the big bad wolf'.

Also Wint & Kidd get some humdingers.

It really does have some exceptional dialogue.
    There were many clever and witty lines in DAF, you just picked one of the few that weren't.

"I'm afraid you caught me with more than my hands up."
    "Like any sensible animal she's threatening only when she's threatened."
    "Providing the collars and cuffs match..."

And that's only three examples, so far.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,586
    DAF is my least favourite film on the series, but every Bond film has its fair share of witty dialogue. That goes without saying.
    Same here. It's at the bottom of my list. But, it's undeniable the dialogues are very witty and clever indeed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond: The wine is quite excellent. Although for such a grand meal I would have expected a claret.

Mr. Wint: But of course. Unfortunately our cellar is poorly stocked with clarets.

James Bond: Mouton Rothschild IS a claret. And, I've smelled that aftershave before; and both times I've smelled a rat.

James Bond: (about diamonds) Well, hardest substance found in nature, they cut glass, suggest marriage, I suppose they replaced the dog as the girl's best friend. That's about it.
    M: Refreshing to hear that there is one subject you're not an expert on!

Bond (talking to a rat) Well one of us smells like a tart's handkerchief. And I'm afraid it's me old boy.

Leiter: I give up. I know the diamonds are in the body, but where?
    Bond: Alimentary, Dr. Leiter...

Goon: The stiff..er deceased back there. Your brother?
    Bond: Yes, it was.
    Goon: I got a brudder
    Bond: Small world.
    Same here. It's at the bottom of my list. But, it's undeniable the dialogues are very witty and clever indeed.

I do like the 'Plenty O'Toole' line

Its just the whole film has a jokey tone that coming after the Flemingesque OHMSS just makes you realize what could have been.

Needless to say DAF is bottom of my Bond pile

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Love Barry's score though.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423

I do like the 'Plenty O'Toole' line

Its just the whole film has a jokey tone that coming after the Flemingesque OHMSS just makes you realize what could have been.

Needless to say DAF is bottom of my Bond pile
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of the film's tone. I mean, the MacGuffin is great, but the way the story is paced and written, with the lackluster action and class, it's just too 1970s. And the worst part of the '70s.

The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker on the other hand...
    James Bond: (about diamonds) Well, hardest substance found in nature, they cut glass, suggest marriage, I suppose they replaced the dog as the girl's best friend. That's about it.
    M: Refreshing to hear that there is one subject you're not an expert on!

:)) Now, that's very witty AND funny!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There is one piece of dialogue in DAF that I like: "Good morning gentlemen, Acme pollution inspection. We're cleaning up the world and though this was a suitable starting point."

Otherwise DAF is exceptional alright, exeptionly bad.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Everything with the homo henchmen is gold.
    DAF has some classic memorable lines thank's to Tom Mankiewicz's wit.
    I'll take "Named after your father perhaps?" over "you know what I can do with my little finger" any day.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The complete dialogue with Tiffany at her apartment is priceless, better than all 4 Craig movies combined dialogue wise.

Bond: Is Mr Case not at home?
    Tiffany: There is no Mr Case. The T is for Tiffany.
    Bond: Tiffany Case? Definitely distinctive.
    Tiffany: I was born there, on the first floor, while my mother was looking for a wedding ring.
    Bond: I'm glad for your sake it wasn't Van Cleef and Arpels.
    I love the script for DAF and Connery is palpably relishing every line he delivers. DAF has the best score Barry after OHMSS too. Always a guilty pleasure for me this film.
    Even though the plot and caper is kind of a mixed bag- DAF is one I actually enjoy more than some of the more favored Bonds.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,594
    The complete dialogue with Tiffany at her apartment is priceless, better than all 4 Craig movies combined dialogue wise.

Tiffany: I was born there, on the first floor, while my mother was looking for a wedding ring.

Yes, this is my favourite dialogue in the film. Up until the Brosnan era, DAF was my least favourite Bond film. I don't dislike it but I never thought that it was up there with the rest of them, that is, until the Brosnan films hit the screen. I have always enjoyed the dialogue though.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    To me, DAF suffers from a bad casting of Blofeld, a dragging finale and the over-the-edge henchmen.

It was all a bit "into to face" for my taste. But I agree to the witty lines and I like the overall plot I must say. If it would be played down a bit more plus a better finale it would rank much higher for me. Many classic Bond lines from this movie for sure!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Better than "I'm sorry... that last hand nearly killed me", "Is this what you really want? Living in the shadows, hunting, being hunted, always alone?", "When one is young it seems very easy to distinguish between right and wrong [...]" (this one comes straight from Fleming), "I wish I could set you free, but your prison is in there", "You're a kite dancing in a hurricane", "Everything you've ever stood for, everything you believed in, a ruin", "A grand old war ship, being ignominiously hauled away for scrap", "You do what I do long enough, there won't be any soul left to salvage" and so on?

Say what you want, but Daniel Craig era featured beautiful dialogues, definitely among the best in the series.
    So it's almost a year since Spectre's release in the US and we know nothing about bond 25 sigh
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So it's almost a year since Spectre's release in the US and we know nothing about bond 25 sigh
    Also at this point- a full year later- it seems there is absolutely nothing going on in regards to Bond 25.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Don't worry too much after all Dans only been in the job for Ten Years !!...
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Risico007 wrote: »

The fun now is watching to see the paths this thread takes... it's now like a catch all until we get anything on B25.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    I always liked the look of QoS, what bothered me more was the editing and shaky cam work. When we finally have as physical a Bond as Craig, I wanted to actually see what he was doing during the action set-pieces.

The film as a whole has grown on me, since, after all these years, I've pieced together who is now doing what!
    Exactly the same for me. And I tend to rewatch it more and more. Still getting angry about the editing but more and more love the rest.

It's actually a great movie except for the editing, and my second fave Craig Bond after SP.

Good lord...one can only hope BB doesn't get the hots for Jamie...
    ha! yes, let's hope not!
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Most jad high hopes to get some early signs of Bond 25 at the horizon but I fear it's remain on ice for another year.
    Walecs wrote: »

Better than "I'm sorry... that last hand nearly killed me", "Is this what you really want? Living in the shadows, hunting, being hunted, always alone?", "When one is young it seems very easy to distinguish between right and wrong [...]" (this one comes straight from Fleming), "I wish I could set you free, but your prison is in there", "You're a kite dancing in a hurricane", "Everything you've ever stood for, everything you believed in, a ruin", "A grand old war ship, being ignominiously hauled away for scrap", "You do what I do long enough, there won't be any soul left to salvage" and so on?

Say what you want, but Daniel Craig era featured beautiful dialogues, definitely among the best in the series.
    I don´t disagree about the quality of the dialogue in Craig´s films, but the way it is used in DAF sprinkles with life. That is an art that was very much ignored after Cubby´s death, with the exception of CR perhaps, but only to degree.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »

I don´t disagree about the quality of the dialogue in Craig´s films, but the way it is used in DAF sprinkles with life. That is an art that was very much ignored after Cubby´s death, with the exception of CR perhaps, but only to degree.
    The difference between the two samples is that the DAF dialogue above is playful and light hearted, yet terribly satisfying. The Craig era dialogue above is rather intense and somewhat depressing, although impressive as well.