007 Audio Dramas' / Radio Plays / Audiobooks

JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
edited December 2016 in Merchandise Posts: 4,151
This is something I have thought about recently, mainly because I have just started to listen to some of the Doctor Who audio dramas’ that are released by Big Finish and I enjoy them.

Do people think there may be a market for a series of James Bond audio dramas’, primarily based on the novels of Ian Fleming and even the continuation novels or new stories? I know there has been a couple of these audio dramas’ on BBC Radio but I would love to see them released on cd or for download (I don’t think those transmitted recently are??).

Would anyone be interested in this type of thing or would you think that it is not feasible? Personally, they would be something I’d love to buy given the chance and they could be a great way of getting a further fix of James Bond goodness.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The bbc radio 4 Have produced several great radio plays of some of the Fleming books. I don't know if they are available to buy, but they were very good.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I believe so and I'm sorry to have missed them.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Do you mean the audiobooks? iTunes has them all I think. Or do you mean actual audio drama's with sound FX et al. ?
    AceHole wrote: »
    Do you mean the audiobooks? iTunes has them all I think. Or do you mean actual audio drama's with sound FX et al. ?

Not the audiobooks, no as I know they are readily available. Audio drama's like the radio plays mentioned above
    I'd buy them without hesitation if they were available, especially if they were made by the BBC...
    Does anyone know if Radio 4 plan to have any more of these James Bond audio drama's coming? I always seem to miss them when they're on.

Speaking of the ones already aired, is there any way that I could get a listen of them, even though not on iPlayer. Would they be available on YouTube do you think?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thunderball will be the Saturday afternoon play on BBC radio 4 at 2:30pm December the 10th 2016 enjoy .
    Excellent. I thought I'd heard something about one coming on soon, but wasn't sure if I'd dreamt it or not. Cheers.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    My pleasure .
    Just been looking on YouTube and it appears that there are some on there; the ones that were on the BBC radio, which is good news. Will have to be listening to them.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    All the Bond dramas are on You Tube. I downloaded them all using a little free programme called 'You Tube Downloader'.

They are all about 90 minutes long and well worth listening to.
    Cheers @stag, I'll be on with that later. Be great for the boring days at work.
    @Shark_0f_Largo just for clarities sake I did mean the BBC dramas. I don't know if any other radio plays exist. I was a bit dubious when I first sat down to listen but was pleasantly surprised. My only gripe was the awful Chinese accent of David Suchet in Dr No.
    Yeah, I've found the BBC ones and they are now on my phone, with Dr No currently playing. All good so far.
    The plays with Toby Stephens as Bond are entertaining.

There was a BBC audio drama of YOLT from a long time ago. I think Michael Jayston was 007 that time.
    Great stuff. I've got the most recent ones downloaded. Enjoying Dr No.
    Nice to hear another one is on the cards, I too really enjoyed them.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 613
    Jason Haigh-Ellery, Chairman of Big Finish Productions, revealed at a Doctor Who convention that he has attempted to get the rights to produce James Bond audio dramas for many years but with no success.

I would love to hear original stories about Bond (preferably produced by Big Finish and their awesome group of writers) starring Timothy Dalton.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Listened to the Dr No play at work today. Very enjoyable. Toby Stephens sounds lik a decent Bond, although I found it difficult to get Gustav Graves out of my head.

Have to agree with @stag that David Suchet's chinese/American accent was very poor. He was the low point of this I thought. He sounded like a cartoon villain rather than a Bond villain.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Jason Haigh-Ellery, Chairman of Big Finish Productions, revealed at a Doctor Who convention that he has attempted to get the rights to produce James Bond audio dramas for many years but with no success.

I would love to hear original stories about Bond (preferably produced by Big Finish and their awesome group of writers) starring Timothy Dalton.

It's a shame Big Finish have never got anywhere near Bond. Their Doctor Who audio dramas are top notch and I'm sure they'd be a success

It's a shame Big Finish have never got anywhere near Bond. Their Doctor Who audio dramas are top notch and I'm sure they'd be a success

Yes, some good audio dramas would fill in the gaps between the movies nicely.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Meant to reply to this part of your post in particular. This would be such a great idea, more stories from Timothy Dalton would be great, don't think we saw enough of his Bond. Plus, we still have all 007 actors here, there's got to be a market for more from them it hasn't there?

I've always wanted to know about the mission that occurs before Dr No and this could be a super way of getting round it. Alas, it seems like it will never happen, however, I will enjoy listening to the BBC Radio plays for now.

Yes, great ideas. I guess the only actor who would say 'never again' would be SC.

@vzok I didn't know about the Michael Jayston Bond drama. I'd like to hear that one.
    Do you mean FRWL ? Or a new original story ?
    I'd like to hear new, original stories myself. I think the actor who'd be most open to it would be Timothy Dalton. Don't know why but I could see him doing these. I agree that Connery wouldn't go anywhere near but I'm sure the others possibly could.

As for the story I'd most like to hear, well that'd have to be the one where Bonds' Beretta hammed and he spent 6 months in hospital.
    stag wrote: »
    Yes, great ideas. I guess the only actor who would say 'never again' would be SC.

@vzok I didn't know about the Michael Jayston Bond drama. I'd like to hear that one.

I think it was from about 20 years ago. I remember hearing it at the time. Here is a link although someone has edited music into this version, so I don't know what it sounds like now.
    [img][/img]https://youtube.com/watch?v=wAczcrAz32w
    @vzok brilliant! Thanks for that. I've downloaded it and will be listening to it soon. BTW I always thought Michael Jayston had a good voice for such things. He read the Rogue Male audiobook which is well worth a listen also.
    Listened to part of the You Only Live Twice play on my way to work this morning. Michael Jayston has such a recognizable voice. I'll admit the name didn't ring a bell at first, but as soon as I heard him then, yes, it was quite obvious who he was, great actor and, as said above by @stag, a good voice for things such as this. I remember him from one of my favourite Only Fools and Horses episodes when he played Raquels' dad.

I do enjoy these plays. it's such a shame we don't see them released on cd format. I think they'd be very popular among Bond fans, or any fan of audio dramas/playes etc.
    Hiddleston was far and away the best vocal storyteller in the series. OP & TLD audiobook stands out for me...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As a collector of the Big Finish Audios of the 7th Doctor, I would be interested to see Big Finish make Bond audios. Either bring back past Bonds for new stories, or make full cast adaptions of the books with a new Bond, or even write new stories for a new Bond. Big Finish doesn't have to write their stories for a large audience like the show runners do, they're aimed specifically at the fans, so are able to experiment and takes risks more, so I would kill to see this attitude brought to the world of Bond.
    Listened to part of the You Only Live Twice play on my way to work this morning. Michael Jayston has such a recognizable voice. I'll admit the name didn't ring a bell at first, but as soon as I heard him then, yes, it was quite obvious who he was, great actor and, as said above by @stag, a good voice for things such as this. I remember him from one of my favourite Only Fools and Horses episodes when he played Raquels' dad.

That was when Del found the clock that made him rich wasn't it? Michael Jayston around the same time appeared with David Jason in a comedy series called "A Bit Of A Do".

His voice is distinctive and very suitable for audio Bond.