• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    To be honest there are plenty of six foot and over actors who could have
    Worked out a bit to play Reacher. Tom though does carry huge box office
    Pulling power, and I'd say most of the cinema audience, don't know anything
    About the Books.
  • C_Gray_JamesBond_007_0095_Dave_Bautista.jpg
    what about this bloke?
    :)) Now, if he told me I'd be seeing the inside of an Ambulance ..... I'd believe him ! :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    I always kind of thought Hugh Hackman. But he's not blond or has blue eyes. His physique is about right though. While watching American sniper Bradley cooper also passed through my mind as a reacher but no one actor has definitely been the one for me.

I thought Hugh Jackman as well for a long time (in fact I still do), but then I shared that opinion with my father who has been reading the books a lot longer than I have (I only got into them after the first film came out and I've read five of them) and he laughed it off and just shook his head.

Reacher would be a very hard character to cast. His impressive physique that lends towards him being a straight up brawler and also his more cunning side would be hard to pin down.

No matter who was cast as him, people would be giving out.

• ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Agreed, he's been described in such detail and so often anyone who's into the books will have a mental picture of him.
    Just get The Stath ! He might as well have an English accent too ! :))
    :)) great idea and he's a good couple of inches taller than tc too
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694

I'd love to see a Reacher parody with Statham as the character where in each confrontation his British slang keeps coming out more than his attempt at an American accent.

Random henchman #1: "The game's done, Reacher. Give it up."

Statham: "Give it up, aye? That's what your mum- I mean your mom was beggin' in my ear last night as I bent her over the kitchen table in my flat. I mean, my apartment."

Random henchman #1: "I'll get you for this, Reacher. Nobody treats my mother like that!"

Statham: "Oy, piss off before I kick you in the dangly bits. I mean bollocks-no, balls. Dick?"

Random henchman #1: "Dick? I'm Bill."

Statham: "Oy, come off it, man! I mean, stop that!"
    :)) I'd watch it !
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    I don't picture any actor when I read the Reacher stories. I have him in my head.

He should not look menacing offhand; not a scary face. Huge and muscled but not looking like Mr. Hinx of Arnold, no.

For actors - and I thought about this awhile ago - I would go with Hugh Jackman, even though he is not blonde.

I do enjoy Jason Statham a lot, though. But if you want a physical match close to the character in the books, he would need to be taller. And American accent. ;) The author is British, though.

The dialog in the books is good, usually quite good. And the delivery is different from typical smart-ass comments, even though it may be a sarcastic comment. I enjoy Reacher stories a lot; so I am prejudiced, yes.

Reacher is hard to cast. But to cast Cruise is well and truly laughable.
    But hey, it's box office. But I won't warm to him in the role.

I'd love to see a Reacher parody with Statham as the character where in each confrontation his British slang keeps coming out more than his attempt at an American accent.

Random henchman #1: "The game's done, Reacher. Give it up."

Statham: "Give it up, aye? That's what your mum- I mean your mom was beggin' in my ear last night as I bent her over the kitchen table in my flat. I mean, my apartment."

Random henchman #1: "I'll get you for this, Reacher. Nobody treats my mother like that!"

Statham: "Oy, piss off before I kick you in the dangly bits. I mean bollocks-no, balls. Dick?"

Random henchman #1: "Dick? I'm Bill."

Statham: "Oy, come off it, man! I mean, stop that!"

:))
  • new poster
    CqKA340WYAAnIne.jpg
    Whoever is in charge of marketing for this movie must have a budget of 100 bucks and a sandwich...
    Oh man, that's one bad poster right there. I can't remember ever preferring posters with just a face, or a close up, but that one looks horrible compared to the two earlier posters with just Cruice's face on them.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Whoever is in charge of marketing for this movie must have a budget of 100 bucks and a sandwich...

If only the next Bondmovie did spend the money in the right way. That carchase from SP was probaly more expensive than this Reacher movie.

O:-)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    New trailer:

New Dutch release date of the movie is 20 October 2016, insteed of 27 October 2016.
    One weak after ''Inferno'' (13 October) and one weak before ''Doctor Strange'' (27 October) and 3 weaks before The Accountant (10 November).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will see those films when some tv channel airs them. Won t spend money on them.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,548
    I don't picture any actor when I read the Reacher stories. I have him in my head.

He should not look menacing offhand; not a scary face. Huge and muscled but not looking like Mr. Hinx of Arnold, no.

For actors - and I thought about this awhile ago - I would go with Hugh Jackman, even though he is not blonde.

I do enjoy Jason Statham a lot, though. But if you want a physical match close to the character in the books, he would need to be taller. And American accent. ;) The author is British, though.

The dialog in the books is good, usually quite good. And the delivery is different from typical smart-ass comments, even though it may be a sarcastic comment. I enjoy Reacher stories a lot; so I am prejudiced, yes.

Reacher is hard to cast. But to cast Cruise is well and truly laughable.
    But hey, it's box office. But I won't warm to him in the role.

If memory serves, Cruise (with his production team) is the one who purchased the rights to the books. He read them, loved them, and wanted the part. Can't blame him for that. Give credit where credit is due. besides, Lee Child himself said that Cruise got the part right, no matter his height.
  • Chriscoop wrote: »
    I always kind of thought Hugh Hackman. But he's not blond or has blue eyes. His physique is about right though. While watching American sniper Bradley cooper also passed through my mind as a reacher but no one actor has definitely been the one for me.
    I'm not sure how true this is but aparently the producers always had one eye on Hugh Jackman , It was only shceduling that stopped him doing it.
  • 17308983_1366142196778837_952008804184728194_n.jpg?oh=5c83dfcf1e303f5678ebbe2c6b946118&oe=595BB741
    Cover for the 22nd book : The Midnight Line
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 503
    It's that time of year again
    51Yw63d-2LL._SY346_.jpg
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I was in the book store the other day and noticed there was a new Jack Reacher book out. I was tempted to buy it but I'm wanting to read them all in order. So far I've only read the first book, Killing Floor, so I've got awhile before I get to The Midnight Line.

I have a question for the fans of the books. Are there any of the Jack Reacher books that I should skip? I'm really wanting to get caught up but there are so many books that it may take a few years.
    Lee Child has written a few prequels as well taking place in the pre drifter Reacher era. They essentially tell about his time and adventures as an MP man.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,241
    I've read a few Jack Reacher books, but not necessary chronologically. Think at least some of them can be read without following the In-story chronology or by publication date.

:(
    I actually wanted a good 3rd movie.

They can move to TV after a third one so they can finish a sort of trilogy on a high note
    I actually enjoyed both Reacher movies with Tom Cruise, his actioners are what the Burt Reynolds movie were in the seventies good and decent actioners that rest not on too much effects.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Amazon greenlights the TV series adaptation of Jack Reacher.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jack-reacher-series-amazon-1203467003/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,861
    I hope it’s better than Jack Ryan: that is utter dreck (I still watched it though!).

I thought the movies would be crap but caught the first one relatively recently and was pretty blown away by how well done it was: I loved how it felt like a 70s thriller. The sequel was utterly nothing though- McQuarrie is the key.