The General Music Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

One of my all time favourite songs.
    Looking forward to the next Madness album released on the 28th of October.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just spinning You Know My Name's Chris Cornell what many would regard as his finest moment with his band Soundgarden, the superb Superunknown.

Having 90's fest on the turntable and this follows Stone Temple Pilots finest Purple, another album that convinces for me anyway the 90's was the last truly great decade of music, but hey I'm 44 and would think that.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Soundgarden s finest moment was Badmotorfinger.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Soundgarden s finest moment was Badmotorfinger.

Great album but I've always preferred their follow up as whole but I'm not one of those that think Ten is Pearl Jam's finest moments, a few albums for me over that but I'm a PJ fan period, those that like Ten and dismiss the rest aren't fans in my book.

Alice In Chains masterpiece Dirt next, I'm not accepting this album as anything but their finest moment, Jar of Flies is superb and I like the last album they did with Layne but that tribute act they are peddling now pales.

I worked in music retail for the majority of this decade and what a decade it was!
    Agree that Dirt is their best album.
    Agree that Dirt is their best album.

Just example of the the all killer no filler of that album. Nirvana get far too much gushing praise for this period, I prefer this and a good number of the albums of the period over their influential but overrated output.

Vs & Vitalogy, ST's Purple also PJ off shoot Stone Gossard's Brad, their debut Shame is one of those albums not enough likely have heard, as good as most things around that period and not forgetting The Chilli's crowning moment Blood Sugar Sex Majik.

Californiacation & By The Way are great as Frusciante is with them although I prefer the clutch of highly prolific solo albums out in 2004, Will To Death & Inside of Emptiness are immense and Empyrean is also an amazing set.

Just cued up Dirt what a album, Layne Staley was one hell of a vocalist, his combo with Jerry Cantrell is just intoxicating.
    I guess you like Mudhoney, too? Huge TAD fan, myself.
    I guess you like Mudhoney, too? Huge TAD fan, myself.

Don't mind a bit of MH, I actually caught TAD supporting SG on the Superunknown tour, never actually purchased anything by them, might just have to check some out.

Pearl Jam are my band of that moment and I'm still a big fan even now. Loved the other bands like AIC & SG, ST but PJ is the one that resonated the most, while some find Vedder annoying I've always loved the guy and what a voice.

The 90's was very important for me musically, I am primarily a rock fan but I was introduced to Dance, Hip Hop and also discovered Miles Davis, my music taste definitelty diversified that decade.

Previously till that decade the only definites for me were Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Beatles, Kate Bush and of course John Barry, I was aware of the likes of Bowie but didn't dig into a lot back cats of bands till the 90's as well as discovering the likes of Belgiums Deus who I still am a fan to this day.

Also the likes of Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky or Bjork, I also discovered Public Enemy, Wu Tang Clan, NWA and Dr Dre, commercial Hip Hop today just leaves me cold.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't discover some great stuff in the noughties but my hit rate certainly diminished when it came to uncovering new stuff that excited me, possibly my music taste settled down because of my age but I'm always opened to be being surprised but find most music to my ears at least to sound like something I've heard before and much better.

That being said some of it just goes over my head and sounds like tuneless noise but I'm sure the previous generations thought the same of my tastes, infact I know they did as I was told by my Dad many times to turn that bloody racket down LOL!

Each period has its charm, I guess. For me the most exciting was the 80s and 90s.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The greatest song ever made is this:

Also one of the best music video clips ever:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/79amavL8zHo"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Another all time favourite
    I want to share this with you.
    Any of you who like musicals and/or Barbara and/or Chris Pine will love this:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yp9GXXzwHOs"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also look at those featurettes from Barbra's spectacular new album:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JD1ow7qqFsw"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/98-QT7VRdQE"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bGEWwGdyRSU"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sTgLxOny0HA"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bCVbaaDphLg"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I am currently listening to the newly remastered Peggy Sue Got Married by John Barry. Is Exquisite. :)
    Coppola and Barry, what a match.
    I used to have this as my wake-up call on the phone. Probably better suited as a goodnight song, but I hate brutal awakenings.

Madness are still around with a new single, new album and I got tickets for their concert in December in Tilburg.

They are legend.
    That s actually a lot better than their only hit, Our House 34 years ago.

"Their only hit"?

Always a pleasure listening to somebody who knows his stuff. :))
    SaintMark wrote: »

"Their only hit"?

Always a pleasure listening to somebody who knows his stuff. :))

It's funny how Madness are often called a one-hit wonder outside of the UK/Europe.

My Girl and Michael Caine were very popular on the radio as well and in the charts and in the UK they had a good dozen Top 5 hits from 1979 to 1983.
    Good song, Thunderfinger! I was going to post a Richard Hell and the Voidoids tune, but here's my nominee for best Stones song not officially released, though I know they've got a bunch of great outtakes.
    To think that the Stones are still rolling!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Can anyone recommend a digital streaming service to me by any chance? Think it's time I came in to the 21st century and want to be able to listen to tunes on my phone as I'm on my way to work etc? I know I'm late to this and I know there are many to choose from, just wondered what people's thoughts were on which is best. Cheers.
    I use Spotify.