Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    sent you a message, on my mobile its limited Lol

That may be the problem then. I'm not sure if you have access to bold, italic, underline, etc. on that.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Tried it on full site too though was unable to do it. cheers anyway check your inbox samuel
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Tried it on full site too though was unable to do it. cheers anyway

In the comment box you have a row of tiny squares with pictures in. They are bold, italic, underline, strike, code, image, url and spoiler. The last button is the one you want. Highlight the part of your post, you want to be a spoiler and press that button.

For example:

Hello!
    Hello!

Quote my post if you like, to see the difference.

Here is your theory anyway:
    sherlock free falled into a lorry with a cage that had a open top that had large soft mats in. it is obscured from watson by a small building. the body is a corpse made up to look like holmes its a good likeness. notice when watson approaches holmes after he jumped, a cyclist knocked watson over stalling him as the lorry drives away. cyclist would have been instructed by holmes to knock watson down to give him time to get away. watson was too distraught to check the body properly. have a theory on moriarty its not conclusive his suicide was genuine he could have staged that too.
    Cheers for doing that, ill try that on the full site :-)
    Testing
    Testing
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ok, I have a new theory:
    We can out rule Sherlock using Moriarty's body to throw off the building. We openly see Sherlock jump. My theory is this: Everyone near the building, the biker that hits John and the people crowding around Sherlock once he "fell" are all the homeless who Sherlock employs to gather intelligent. They soften Sherlock's landing with some sort of mattress, and then add blood to Sherlock to make the fall look fatal. The homeless pack Sherlock up and bring the "body" to Molly who is in on it too.
  • My ideas (LONG writeup):
    The coup/illusion is placed in stages:

A. Sherlock tells Molly he's going to fake his death. He asks her to provide a dead body from the morgue similar to Sherlock's traits (i.e Blood type, height, weight, eye color, etc.) to pose as his double for the autopsy and the eventual take in at the morgue. He also asks her to replicate a chemical compound similar to the one found in "The Hounds of Baskerville", analyzed by Watson himself before hand.

B. Sherlock tells Mycroft he's going to fake his death. He asks him to put pressure on the police force to quickly close the case after his death, thereby avoiding skeptics or any lurkers that might want to reopen or re-investigate Sherlock. He also uses his powers to back up Kitty Riley's article and press, so the public could forget the case faster. After receiving Moriarty's text that he will be at the top of the hospital, Sherlock texts Mycroft to be prepared to get to the roof to take away/kill Moriarty after the confrontation.

C. Sherlock tells the street grafitti artist (as seen in The Blind Banker) that he's going to fake his death. Knowing full well that he needs Watson to witness his "suicide", he asks him to knock over Watson at a precise time and place.

D. He also calls in two of his associates (Again, might be provided by Mycroft) to place a garbage truck in front of the place he's going to jump.

E. Finally, he arranges all of this right at the hospital and texts Moriarty. He also uses one of the callers at the hospital (arranged by Molly, perhaps) to fake a call for Mrs. Hudson's shooting to ward away Watson.

The Fall -

As usual Sherlock jumps from the building, but with a hidden twist - he's hooked on to a harness with a really thin cable (typically used for stunts and hidden from Watson's point of view) that stops his fall 1-1.5 feet from the ground. After stopping, Sherlock easily detaches the harness and lands safely spread eagle on the ground. (Keep in mind he is still behind the garbage truck and Watson has not seen where he landed yet.)

The two men hidden behind the garbage truck quickly hide Sherlock's body under the truck, while at the same time bringing out the fake/dead body from Molly that has, through make up and prosthetics, resemble and somewhat look like a dead and bloody Sherlock. The dummy is rolled to a place near the real's Sherlock fall. A crowd set up by either Mycroft or Sherlock immediately comes in and surronds the body, allowing the truck to leave with the real Sherlock hiding under it.

At the same time, that Watson is running towards the scene, the artist slams into him, and as he falls down, throws a little bit of the chemicals/gas based off of the one used in The Hounds of Baskerville (but to a milder effect). Along with the shock experienced from the fall, this disorientate and Watson's vision and mind - this is how they managed to fake the dummy under his eyes and why some of the features that can't be faked are not realized by John.

Finally, moments after Sherlock jumps, Mycroft's men storm the roof and take away Moriarty's body. He and Rich Brooks disappear, and his body is buried in place of Sherlock's.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It kinda reminded me of the end of TDK, the way that Sherlock decides to take the blame to save his friends and family, faking his own death but also willing to discredit himself. This leaves Moffat & Gattis with an interesting dilemma to return SH back into the world in the same way Nolan and co will need to solve the problem of Batman returning after him taking a similar route to protect Harvey Dent.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Shardlake wrote:
    It kinda reminded me of the end of TDK, the way that Sherlock decides to take the blame to save his friends and family, faking his own death but also willing to discredit himself. This leaves Moffat & Gattis with an interesting dilemma to return SH back into the world in the same way Nolan and co will need to solve the problem of Batman returning after him taking a similar route to protect Harvey Dent.

I got that too. It will definitely be interesting. I think what will happened is
    Moriarty/Richard Brook's body will be used to make up a story. Instead of being an actor, he was an insane man, obsessed with Sherlock and knew he could never be like him. He got angry at Sherlock, threw him off a building, and then committed suicide. He only said Sherlock was a fake because of his jealousy. The Sherlock will have to publicly return, and prove himself to be the great deducer he has always been. I will be happy for poor John. I don't think Mycroft even knows Sherlock faked it. He looked distraught and feeling responsible when he was reading the paper in the Diogenes Club.
    I've never read the books, and before these nu-sherlock's , I had only seen some, but not all of them previous films, and not that close together. Meaning it could have taken me years to see another Sherlock film after the one I had just seen (I blame television for not showing Sherlock films in most of my teen years. That, or I just didn't notice them when they were on). But I do like these new incarnations. Sure, Guy Richie's Sherlock seems more of an action hero than the detective he's been portrayed as in the media before. This 21st century Sherlock seems more like the 19 century Sherlock of before, that I know of. I kind of like both of them. Have even thought about reading one of em-what-ya-callem, books one of these days.
  • SharkBait wrote:
    Have even thought about reading one of em-what-ya-callem, books one of these days.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, most of the Classic Sherlock books are actually free to download from the itunes book store, you can't really go wrong at that price! :>
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    SharkBait wrote:
    I've never read the books, and before these nu-sherlock's , I had only seen some, but not all of them previous films, and not that close together. Meaning it could have taken me years to see another Sherlock film after the one I had just seen (I blame television for not showing Sherlock films in most of my teen years. That, or I just didn't notice them when they were on). But I do like these new incarnations. Sure, Guy Richie's Sherlock seems more of an action hero than the detective he's been portrayed as in the media before. This 21st century Sherlock seems more like the 19 century Sherlock of before, that I know of. I kind of like both of them. Have even thought about reading one of em-what-ya-callem, books one of these days.

You can't go wrong with the Sherlock short stories and novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. True masterpieces of writing. Reading them in the closest order as possible is advisable.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Here is the part of the series finale where Sherlock jumps, and lives to tell the tale. For those(like me) who are still mulling over how the hell Sherlock survived, Steven Moffat has recently said that theorists are "missing a vital clue". I've linked the article below the video. I've posted the video just so everyone can see what happened and can rewind and pause to their heart's content in order to find the true solution to the survival of Sherlock

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/20/sherlock-vital-missing-clue-death-fall

Cheers!
    Love SM version of Sherlock Holmes, never watched any before these versions so I can't compare them with anything else except the new movies which I also enjoy
  • My Theory:
    Two buildings, one with real sherlock, making the phone call, on the other building, the one watson is looking at, a double. The double jumps, attached to a wire. Watson is hit by the bicycle, possibly giving sherlock time to run down and get on the floor. Molly and colleagues cover him in blood and surround him. Done.

??

• edited February 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Not bad all those theories. Not bad at all.

Just watched the last episode. Been a long time since I had so much water in my eyes. The DVD cover was right: TV has never been better.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Not bad all those theories. Not bad at all.

Just watched the last episode. Been a long time since I had so much water in my eyes. The DVD cover was right: TV has never been better.

The amazing chemistry that both Benedict and Martin have with each other is quite palpable.
    Its certainly one of my favourite tv programs. Although i wish them both huge success? It means we have to wait longer to see this fantastic pairing of actors working together again!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Its certainly one of my favourite tv programs. Although i wish them both huge success? It means we have to wait longer to see this fantastic pairing of actors working together again!
    It'll be well worth the wait, I guarantee it.
    I´d rather wait a few years and get stunning films like those six episodes, rather than having it rushed and spoiled.
    boldfinger wrote:
    I´d rather wait a few years and get stunning films like those six episodes, rather than having it rushed and spoiled.
    Nothing has been rushed. Each episode has been spectacular and faithful to the Sherlock mythos. They won't divert now.
    And now Moffat & Friend have plenty of time to write the next episodes. He won't be rushed with his Doctor Who duties (next year is its 50th anniversary) and his duties toward Sherlock.
    It will be Summer 2013 if the 18 month gap holds, which would mean filming from next January. Just like the first series.
  • Holy Crap!

I was rewatching the clips of Reichenbach Fall and I noticed John was wearing a hearing aid the whole time...

And when he got knocked down after Sherlock's fall, it's gone!

Is THIS what Moffat was talking about?
    Holy Crap!

I was rewatching the clips of Reichenbach Fall and I noticed John was wearing a hearing aid the whole time...

And when he got knocked down after Sherlock's fall, it's gone!

Is THIS what Moffat was talking about?

How is that conclusive though, or concerning Sherlock's fall? I'm curious to hear if you have a new theory.
  • [

How is that conclusive though, or concerning Sherlock's fall? I'm curious to hear if you have a new theory.

On the conclusive part -

Compare with before:

And after:

And I really don't know how this pertains to a theory, but it certainly helps evidence that Watson's hearing and sight could be impaired after Sherlock's fall. I'll cook something up later

:-?
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The three keys words for Series 3 are: Rat, Wedding, Bow.

Does this mean the three stories are The Giant Rat Of Sumatra, The Noble Bachelor and His Last Bow? If so, does this mean Series 3 is the last?!
    I really hope its not the last series, after only 9 episodes as I'm really enjoying them.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited August 2012 Posts: 2,535
    Rat... Ballarat...

Boscombe Valley?

Sadly, Bow must be... His last...
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 5,767
    I´m so happy to hear news on the 3rd series. Any info when it´s gonna come out?

I´m sure Bow is there to tease us into the wrong direction. Remember the cliffhanger at the end of the first series. They want to play with the audience. Probably it´s gonna be something like His fast Bow. Or, I bow to noone ;-).