Z is For sleep: your WORST movie EVER

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    12,000BC (Never finished it)
    2012 (Shouldn't have finished it)
    Now You See Me 2 (Went on a date to see this and I haven't seen the person since)
    Shark Night 3D (I felt so idiotic when I finished this one)
    Taken 2 (The dullest action film I have had the mispleasure of seeing)
    A Good Day To Die Hard (Just....ugh)
    [
    Films that I've wanted to turn off but made it to the end just to say I'd seen it;

Halloween (Remake 2007)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Domino (2005)
    V For Vendetta (2005)
    3 Days To Kill (2014)
    John Wick (2014)
    Furious 7 (2015)

I really enjoyed John Wick and V For Vendetta is one of my favourites. I'd be curious as to why you didn't enjoy them.

The trouble with V For Vendetta is that instead of coming across as anti-fascist it comes across as pro-terrorist. It's 'fascism is uncool' cartoonish political posturing seems aimed at right on 12 year olds. It paints a silly and unconvincing picture of a future London.

The scene that really sums up the film is when after days of torture, all Natalie Portman is bothered about is that her hair has been shaved off!

I don't agree. The film has a lot more on its mind then the story it's telling right in front of your eyes. V is labelled as a terrorist by a fascist dictatorship, sure, but that does not make the film "pro-terrorist". While V does spend time blowing up buildings and killing morally corrupt public officials, the real story is inaction by an idle public (the audience), but it's not about encouraging violence. It's reminding people that apathy and idleness will allow civil rights to be subtly taken from under our noses. The sole reason fascism works is because of fear, and V is a freedom fighter. Hence why, at the end of the film, Evey refers him being a reflection of everyone once they take on his symbol and leave the army with no choice but to stand down.

The film twice refers to the Iraq war being a catalyst for the film's plot. It also makes a point that America is now a wasteland and its collapse was the "reason" the state took control of all of England. The so called futuristic vision of London is meant to be identical to what we've got already in order to rally the point home that we're actually not too far away from something like this happening.

So, although labelled a terrorist (it would be easy to see why you could latch on to that if you just took it at face value), V is actually fighting for freedom for everyone, and not just the destruction of his enemies like a regular terrorist.

I agree about the hair line following Evey's release, though. That's a strange one - although I'm sure after being tortured, people would come out with some odd statements. I forgive it for the very powerful scenes either side of it.

I'm sure I'm in the minority when it comes to V For Vendetta. A lot of people seem to like it. The problems aren't just with the shallow version of the graphic novel though. It seems London streets will turn into sets from 1970's Hammer films, Christians become radical militants while the Koran is seen as inspirational (oh boy the irony!) and V doesn't just kill 'corrupt public officials' he also guns down quite a few security guards and innocent policemen as far as I can remember.

For a film that really gets what an 'Orwellian' future could be like, while still managing to be funny, shocking and thought provoking, try Terry Gilliams Brazil (1985) With the original ending mind...

It's a film that allows the viewer think instead of being spoon fed a load of leftie propaganda.

I do quite like Brazil, too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, don't bother with 'Taken 3,' it's magically 100x worse than the second one was, which I didn't think was possible.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, don't bother with 'Taken 3,' it's magically 100x worse than the second one was, which I didn't think was possible.

I actually saw that a couple of months ago, just not in theatres. I found it better than the second film from a storytelling point of view but still quite average. The novelty of the first film was lost on both the sequels. Neither film even has any exciting action sequences to help push them along. Megaton is one of the worst directors working today.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, that's a fact. I swore not to watch another one of his movies after the 'Taken 2' trainwreck, but a morbid curiosity had me watching (for free, thankfully) the third one about a month or so back. Total garbage. NOW I'll avoid the rest of his filmography like the plague.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, that's a fact. I swore not to watch another one of his movies after the 'Taken 2' trainwreck, but a morbid curiosity had me watching (for free, thankfully) the third one about a month or so back. Total garbage. NOW I'll avoid the rest of his filmography like the plague.

That'd be Colombiana from 2011 the only other film noteworthy of Megaton. The rest is TV episodes and shorts.

Megaton only still is allowed to do movies because Taken 2 and 3 both made money, especially in the home media market.

Columbiana I actually enjoyed for what it was. I quite like Zoe Saldana and actually bought her as a tough fighter chick, unlike Angelina in Salt for example.

But yeah, everything else feature film-wise is muck with very few redeemable traits.
    The Counsellor. I literally had a moment where I almost fell asleep. Never thought that could happen to me in a cinema.

All the others I can´t really judge because I walked out.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The Counsellor. I literally had a moment where I almost fell asleep. Never thought that could happen to me in a cinema.

The movie is very slow, but I enjoy it for the cinematography and the ending. I know most hated the movie in general, so I'm in the minority there.
    I don't watch bad movies on purpose, but Amazing Spiderman 2.
    boldfinger wrote: »

The movie is very slow, but I enjoy it for the cinematography and the ending. I know most hated the movie in general, so I'm in the minority there.
    I think the only reason I didn´t walk out was my curiosity for that electric bola thing ;-)...

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    [Deleted]
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Reading some of these posts, I'm now curious:

How often do you guys give up on films? If you go out to the movies, how often have you walked out, and if you're watching something at home, how often have you switched a movie off and never come back to it again?

I can say I have never done either of those. When I sit down to watch a movie (or pay to see one in a theater) I stick with it, and at the very most I'll pause it/save it for later in the day if I feel I need a recharge. This happened with Ben-Hur, where I split my viewing into two parts with an hour or two intermission of sorts.

I guess my philosophy is always to finish what I start when it comes to cinema, and even if I don't like something part of me is willing to put in the time to finish it to see if it gets better. In other instances I see something just to say I've seen it, then never worry about touching it again.

I was just curious how other members here handle or deal with films they don't like, as I know a great many here who are very passionate about movies and their perspective is interesting to me.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I love film, but if something is an awful trainwreck in the first ten minutes or so, I know I needn't continue. Sometimes it's not worth wasting time over.

With theaters, however, I've never bought a ticket to a movie and left early.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I can honestly say I always watch a film in its entirety.

The worst I've seen where I was very tempted to throw my principles overboard are The Artist, No Country For Old Men and Avatar.
  • Driven. A movie so bad even Sylvester Stalone regrets making it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Reading some of these posts, I'm now curious:

How often do you guys give up on films? If you go out to the movies, how often have you walked out, and if you're watching something at home, how often have you switched a movie off and never come back to it again?

I can say I have never done either of those. When I sit down to watch a movie (or pay to see one in a theater) I stick with it, and at the very most I'll pause it/save it for later in the day if I feel I need a recharge. This happened with Ben-Hur, where I split my viewing into two parts with an hour or two intermission of sorts.

I guess my philosophy is always to finish what I start when it comes to cinema, and even if I don't like something part of me is willing to put in the time to finish it to see if it gets better. In other instances I see something just to say I've seen it, then never worry about touching it again.

I was just curious how other members here handle or deal with films they don't like, as I know a great many here who are very passionate about movies and their perspective is interesting to me.

Im very selective of what I see in theaters. The last film I had seen was Now You See Me 2, and was disappointed. Not to mention it was in a luxury theater so I paid a lot to see it. Next cinema film will most likely be Inferno. But I never walked out on a movie. I have rented Redbox movies and never finished them due to lack of interest.
    0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I tend to sit out a movie in the cinema but left it a few time because they were aweful like with Species 2, after the female lead was seen walking around in her bare bum the movie had had its high point. For a movie that started half full it was pretty empty when I left.

Another movie I left the cinema was A space odyssey 2001, it bored me to tears and I really like the book. It is not a bad movie just not my cup of tea.

Another movie I was tempted to leave was QoS, my being fan made me stay in the seat but after the break in the middle of the movie a lot of people never came back for the second half. Which the friend who worked there told me happened too often during the break.

And I left the Bluesbrothers 2000 movie in the cinema, good music but a horrible movie. Still listen the soundtrack occasionally. A bad idea for a sequel to begin with.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have never walked out of a cinema, but have turned off films shown on tv countless times. It can take five minutes, or it can take an hour.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I swear, the game on PSP was better than this.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    SaintMark wrote: »

Another movie I was tempted to leave was QoS, my being fan made me stay in the seat but after the break in the middle of the movie a lot of people never came back for the second half. Which the friend who worked there told me happened too often during the break.

Where is your cinema located? The 70s?

Last film I remember there being an interval in was Return of the Jedi.

Why would there be an interval in QOS of all films? It's barely 90 minutes long. Talk about short attention spans.
    Generally the Dutch cinemas in the South as well as the Belgian ones I visit have an intermission in the middle, you can do a toilet visit or stock up on drinks and or food.

When we went to see to the Suicide squad we were the only four, me missus and the two daughters, watching this movie and we still got an intermission.

It is a sensible thing to do to have an intermission.
    I'm glad I've never frequented a theater that has intermissions, I don't think I'd enjoy that at all; it would really ruin the pacing and fun I'm having.
    I'm glad I've never frequented a theater that has intermissions, I don't think I'd enjoy that at all; it would really ruin the pacing and fun I'm having.

I actually do not mind this and with movies become longer all the time I do not mind losing some of that excess Dr. Pepper.

;)
  • SaintMark wrote: »

I actually do not mind this and with movies become longer all the time I do not mind losing some of that excess Dr. Pepper.

;)

For 4 hour long films, yes, absolutely. I really, really needed an intermission during The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Those six or seven false endings were killing me.

But an intermission for Quantum of Solace (1h 47min) of all films? Where did they even find a natural place to break? Somewhere in the middle of the DC3 chase?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have never walked out of a cinema, but have turned off films shown on tv countless times. It can take five minutes, or it can take an hour.

As it did tonight, as I caught After Earth on tv. No thanks, cringeworthy to say the least.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    being spoon fed a load of leftie propaganda.
    I'm aware that V is a leftist film, just like Red Dawn is a rightie flick... but let me ask you which one comes closer to addressing the real issues our society faces today, eh?
    ;)
    SaintMark wrote: »

;)

For 4 hour long films, yes, absolutely. I really, really needed an intermission during The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Those six or seven false endings were killing me.

But an intermission for Quantum of Solace (1h 47min) of all films? Where did they even find a natural place to break? Somewhere in the middle of the DC3 chase?

The most obvious place I would say would be after Bond asks the woman at the airport to tell them he was going to Cairo. There seems to be a palpable change of gear after the frenetic first half when we see Bond cruising across the lake in the speedboat.
    @TheWizardOfIce, I would bet the intermission is actually really sloppy, and placed in the film by those who haven't even see it. They probably just look at the run time, then go a margin less than half, and call it the intermission.

In QoS you could just as well be watching Bond jump with Camille out of the airplane in the action sequence near the sink hole and then the cut happens.

Which makes me curious... @SaintMark, how well orchestrated are these intermissions in your theaters? Do they arrive at sloppy times in the film itself that tell you the theater people haven't seen the film, or do the intermissions instead stop at perfect times that make sense? I've always wondered this.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117

In QoS you could just as well be watching Bond jump with Camille out of the airplane in the action sequence near the sink hole and then the cut happens.

That sounds suspiciously like ITV's placing of the adverts.

I'm sure once I saw OP on ITV and they put the adverts after Bond and Grishka fall off the train then came back for Bond killing him rather than waiting another minute for a natural break.

That sounds suspiciously like ITV's placing of the adverts.

@TheWizardOfIce, ouch. That's part of the reason why I refuse to watch any of my favorite films, especially the Bond movies, on TV. The commercial breaks at times can just be laughable, or come with such frequency that it robs the product of any pacing whatsoever.

One channel we have in the states that shows films often had commercial breaks every 9-10 minutes, which for the film in question meant there were at least 20 instances where it was stopped for advertisements!