Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited January 2012 Posts: 7,653
    So here is a recent twitter of Mr. Moffat himself.

#sherlock Yes of course there's going to be a third series - it was commissioned at the same time as the second. Gotcha!

As to how............just my personal idea.
    He "died" in front of the hospital where Molly is the coroner! Watson was not allowed to come closer, got hit by somebody on a bike was confused when he first identified the body. The brother still can pull a string or so and he knows SH isn't a fake.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 584
    SaintMark wrote:
    So here is a recent twiiter of Mr. Moffat himself.

#sherlock Yes of course there's going to be a third series - it was commissioned at the same time as the second. Gotcha!

MOFFAT!!!! (Shaking fist!)

Oh the joy, :D :D :D :D
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Grant wrote:
    Enjoyed the first series right until the final five minutes. Moriarty is a travesty, there is no other word for it and I cannot bring myself to watch the three new episodes knowing that a show would inflict such a Moriarty on the viewing public.

Totally agree moriarty is appalling. must admit i am a purist, as good as the two leads acting is this is not sherlock holmes.
    Grant wrote:
    Enjoyed the first series right until the final five minutes. Moriarty is a travesty, there is no other word for it and I cannot bring myself to watch the three new episodes knowing that a show would inflict such a Moriarty on the viewing public.

Totally agree moriarty is appalling. must admit i am a purist, as good as the two leads acting is this is not sherlock holmes.

Your loss, to bad you do not enjoy a new vision of Sherlock unless it fits your personal vision.

The SH fans got a lot of fun these last two months: A new book, a new movie and three new episodes of Sherlock. I have enjoyed them all. And sure my favorite remains the Rathbone movies but the recent stuff is brilliant as well and makes SH certainly a character that will remain around for a while as well for a new generation.

Fire and Ice - Winter is coming as they say :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As against as I was, the idea of Andrew Scott as Moriarty, the final episode really showed how great he was. Indeed, you're missing out if you give us now.

Can't wait for Series 3, well I can, a long time as well! I wonder which stories will be done next?
    Think i am entitled to my opinion, we all look for different things when watching a movie or tv show, just because its a new vision does not necessarily mean everyone is going to like it. watched the first of the new holmes movie's personally felt it was style over content.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Can't remember the last time a TV show had me so utterly gripped as last night's finale. Edge-of-the-seat stuff indeed!
    A very enjoyable 90 minutes for me! Not seen either of the movie versions as of yet. They are next on the list for me! Certainly looking forward to season 3 as and when it arrives?

Their is certainly a wealth of stories for them to adapt though! Already have said this, but? Cumberbatch and Freeman are superb in the roles!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 660
    Just started watching this...I dont understand why Sherlock tv show have to feature in the 21 century....why not in the era that the author Doyle created it? the Victorian era? 21 century does not work Sherlock like with Bond IMO
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 7,653
    Just started watching this...I dont understand why Sherlock tv show have to feature in the 21 century....why not in the era that the author Doyle created it? the Victorian era? 21 century does not work Sherlock like with Bond IMO

For the same reason they "rebooted" 007, something for the modern masses. And well done too I'd say. Meaning Sherlock that is.

fire_and_ice sure you can have an opinion I did not say you couldn't, I just said it would be your loss. For the record I am not a fan of Dalton and the Craig era better convince me with 3/4 of a decent movie so far. ;)

• My biggest problem with Moriarty is that he sounds so much like Graham Norton I just can't take him seriously! Other than that minor gripe it's a terrific show, and last night's was a superb series finale.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    I am all for continuing a franchise whether it be bond or holmes, i think great characters will always endure. each take on a character is often a reflection on the time period in which it is made. 5 years time they may reboot sherlock holmes again and i may love it. not a big fan of brosnan though like all the other bonds. when you step back and look at the whole series each film/each bond despite the quality at times has its/there place.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The Holmes stories have been told and re-told so often that this idea of bringing Holmes into the 21st century is intruiging and clever. What would he be like if he was around today? This has been lovingly thought out by Moffatt and Gatis, not just modernising Holmes (he loved technology in the 19th century, so why not in the 21st?), but also modernising the publics attitude to him (is he gay? is he Aspergers? etc)

It works in no small part thanks to the clever casting.
    Don't forget the clever writing and the great visuals.
    My number 1 favourite is Bond but I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes and have been for years. The Steven Moffatt version of Sherlock is simply inspired imo. Great scripts and casting even the new take on Moriarty (not to everyone's taste). Series I was great and Series II has stepped it up a gear. Fabulous stuff and the only thing I am sorry about is having to wait potentially 12 months plus for Series III.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    Don't forget the clever writing and the great visuals.

Absolutely
    Woah, they already aired the second series! I loved the first three episodes of the first series. Today will be a marathon evening for me. Streaming these when I get back to home.
    SharkBait wrote:
    Woah, they already aired the second series! I loved the first three episodes of the first series. Today will be a marathon evening for me. Streaming these when I get back to home.

Enjoy sharkbait! Its great viewing! :-bd

Obviously you missed the point of the WHOLE series. :D - Gattis and Moffat both said they wrote the series because Sherlock in the 20th century had been done SO MANY times. It was getting old. And so they updated the detective and brought him into the 21st century, an excellent move.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jamesh101 wrote:

Obviously you missed the point of the WHOLE series. :D - Gattis and Moffat both said they wrote the series because Sherlock in the 20th century had been done SO MANY times. It was getting old. And so they updated the detective and brought him into the 21st century, an excellent move.

19th century technically. But anyway, I love the modern Sherlock. When my friend told me about it I was appalled, but after seeing how much care is put into the show and the brilliant Benedict and Martin leading a stellar cast, what's not to like? Moriarty is a little iffy for me, put the interpretation was interesting to say the least. He conflicts with the old Moriarty of the short stories. In them Moriarty only take interest in Sherlock after Sherlock stops him plots and becomes a nuisance. In this one, Moriarty openly challenges Sherlock, wanting him to challenge him. But, like I said, brilliant, brilliant series, and I absolutely love all the winks to the short stories, like:
    Sherlock complaining about the titles John is giving to their stories, and Sherlock having to use the deerstalker to hid his face(unconvincingly), and then becoming known for it. I was smiling ear to ear!

As for the episodes, it stood like last series. The 1st(pilot) was the best, the 2nd wasn't AS good, but it was still brilliantly done, and the 3rd was 2nd best. Same now with series two. The 1st with Irene was my absolute favorite, almost a tie with the third really. The 2nd playing of The Hound of the Baskervilles was great, but can't beat Irene and Moriarty appearing separately. The 3rd matches the 1st almost exactly, but I think "The Scandal in Belgravia" wins a tad more because I didn't see as much coming. In the 3rd we knew the gist of what was coming, but I'm sure I'm not the only one impressed by "The Scandal in Belgravia". Irene was done so well, and the episode is my favorite yet overall. The 3rd is obviously a close 2nd best.

I LOVE THIS SHOOOOOOOOW!
    I love this series. My all time fav Holmes is still Basil Rathbone but Benedict C is excellent and even better IMO than RDJ on the big screen, Would love to see BC in a future Bond film, after he;s finished his stint on StarTrek.
    He is a teriffic actor. I guess we will see how good he is at playing a villain in a major film? I am sure he will not disappoint!

The potential for a Bond appearance? Pretty good i would say obviously depending on committments and script? I think i may have read that he enjoys Bond, but cannot recall if he would like to be in one?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just saw the final episode.

Wow. Just wow. But seriously, they have to explain
    How the Hell he survived that fall
    Here are my thoughts:
    Since we don't see Molly at all the last bit of the episode, I think it is possible that she helped Sherlock maybe get a harness onto him, and in the fall the harness stopped Sherlock before he completely hit the ground, and Sherlock added the blood from packs in his coat. Molly gets the body in the morgue, and sets Sherlock free. But why would Sherlock then tell John he was a fraud and fool Molly too if he was just going to need her help later?? It makes no sense, which is why I don't think I'm right. Sherlock wants this all to blow over, so he doesn't want anyone aware that he is still alive. But John getting hit by the biker has something to do with it. Maybe the biker was a homeless man in Sherlock's hire who hit John with the hallucinogen from "The Hounds of Baskerville", and he imagined seeing Sherlock die. In fact the entire crowd of people could've been hallucinating just the same. Just an idea, but my head is reeling. I don't know how it is all possible!!! The writers could be teasing us, showing us things we are taking too literally.
    Just watched episode 6 again figured out how they did it simple but clever. how do i create a spoiler alert?
    awaiting your deduction? ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Just watched episode 6 again figured out how they did it simple but clever. how do i create a spoiler alert?

Highlight your text and click the question mark button. It's the last one in the row.
  • This has been an excellent achievement in recent television i'd say.
    - And i prefer this Sherlock to the new Guy Richie films and their portrail of Holmes, i do enjoy the movies, though this Sherlock is far more believable as actually becoming Sherlock.
    sent you a message, on my mobile its limited Lol