Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

For Your Eyes Only (1981)

Strengths: A solid performance from Roger Moore, a great score by Bill Conti, eye-popping locations, thrilling action, and a simple, easy to follow yet engaging plot.

Weaknesses: Dull villains, poor ending (after the rock climbing scene)

I was very pleased with FYEO after this recent viewing, and I must say that it will be re-instated into my Top 5 or close to the Top 5 (around 6 or 7 maybe). For those who say it is dull and dragging, I have to disagree. I found myself eagerly awaiting the next action scene, and I didn't have to wait long to get there! There was a surprising amount of action than I had previously remembered. Also, even though the villains weren't as memorable as those before or after FYEO (Jaws or Kamal Khan), I did think more highly of Kristatos. I think most people don't like him as much because he doesn't show up as the villain until over half-way through the movie, and has just a "normal face" we might say, that is, no unusual characteristics. I loved how he tricked 007 and his allies, except Colombo, into thinking that he was clean for over half the movie!

On a side note, to anyone who noticed this, I found the editing in some places to be slightly strange. One place for certain is when Colombo and Kristatos are fighting on the steps leading to the top of the cliff. Colombo somehow causes Kristatos to fall, which, by the way, didn't make sense because of the editing, and then in the next shot, both men are back on the stairs fighting. Then, following this shot, Kristatos is laying down on the ground crawling to grab the ATAC, and then Bond and Melina show up. Anyone else notice this?
    The World Is Not Enough.
    Rhys11 wrote:
    The World Is Not Enough.

Hey Rhys11, welcome to MI6! I just thought I'd let you know, in this particular discussion, when you say which Bond movie you last watched, you can tell what you thought about it and all that stuff. You don't just have to name which one it was, you can discuss what you thought about it. Anyway, glad you're here!
    SJK91 wrote:
    That said, since Ol' Rog was still Bond, I do sort of like NSNA just to get a glimpse at how things might have turned out if Sean was still doing it. Old or not, he does look better and healthier here than in DAF
    Agreed 100%. People say Moore looked bad at the end of his run...but I think they forget how Connery looked in DAF.... ;)

As I always noted : Moore looked much younger in LALD than Connery in DAF (but Rog was the oldest one), and it reversed back when Connery looked much younger in NSNA than Moore in AVTAK. Moore looked very good until he hit 50, while Connery has looked very good SINCE he hit 50.
    That's an interesting thing to note - I've never noticed that before but you are very right, @DaltonCraig007.
    Just watched an interesting combination. Just watched Moonraker for the first time in a while followed by License to Kill.

MR: I think there is a good film buried deep, deep down in the pile of camp and goofy stuff. Moore seems to be in top form and the pre-credits scene is still breathtaking.

LTK- In my opinion, THE most underrated Bond film. I love almost everything about it. Dalton is fantastic, Sanchez is a great villain, and the tanker chase is just awesome. After I finished the film, I began to reflect on what a 3rd Dalton film could of been like.

Very interesting stuff going from the camp of MR to the seriousness of LTK. But hey, that is what's great about Bond right?
  • ^ That brings up a hilarious thought: How would Tim have handled Moonraker? :-))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    ^ That brings up a hilarious thought: How would Tim have handled Moonraker? :-))

As good as Rog would've handled LTK. ;)

On a serious not, I don't think it would've worked, both film are tailored to the relevant actors.
    TLD for me a film that has improved with time.
    ^ That brings up a hilarious thought: How would Tim have handled Moonraker? :-))

Well, even though that seems like a ridiculous notion, I would have been all for waiting until the Dalton era to do MR. One thing is for sure, I probably would have enjoyed it much more had the movie taken itself more seriously. Also, there would have been much better action sequences, and no outer space either. Though I do like the outer space thing in MR, I think they should have just left the climax like the novel, where Bond re-programs the missile to strike Drax's escape submarine.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    00Beast wrote:
    Though I do like the outer space thing in MR, I think they should have just left the climax like the novel, where Bond re-programs the missile to strike Drax's escape submarine.

I think they kind of used that in TSWLM when Bond and Carter reprogram the nuclear subs to attack each other.

00Beast wrote:
    Though I do like the outer space thing in MR, I think they should have just left the climax like the novel, where Bond re-programs the missile to strike Drax's escape submarine.

I think they kind of used that in TSWLM when Bond and Carter reprogram the nuclear subs to attack each other.

Yeah, that's true. Maybe they could have had Bond just deactivate the missile somehow, and then have a cool fight to the finish with Drax onboard his escape submarine! I would have loved that.
    The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

Strengths: Roger Moore playing a cold-blooded 007, Francisco Scaramanga, Locations, Humor, and some Action (fight in Beirut, fight at ninja school, car chase)

Weaknesses: Bad henchmen, terrible main girl (looks great, acts terribly), some cheesy moments, Music (except for one or two tracks), disappointing finale

Based on my last viewing, I moved TMWTGG up from #18 to #15 or 16, but I doubt it'll go any higher than that. For me, it is a middle of the road Bond movie: I don't love it, and I don't hate it either.
  • Watched LALD last week. Enjoyed it a lot, a pure classic. The only thing I hate is that Kananga isn't in his Mr. Big character for long and the way he dies has to be the most ridiculous and silly death in the entire franchise.
    Watched LALD last week. Enjoyed it a lot, a pure classic. The only thing I hate is that Kananga isn't in his Mr. Big character for long and the way he dies has to be the most ridiculous and silly death in the entire franchise.

Agreed, it is a truly anti-climatic villain death, and fight for that matter. It's much too short and not brutal enough when compared to such nail-biters like Bond vs. Trevelyan, Blofeld in OHMSS, or Max Zorin.

Thunderball (1965)

Strengths: Music, Connery as 007, Emilio Largo and Fiona Volpe, Locations, Plot, Action

Weaknesses: Dragging here and there, lengthy underwater scenes in some places (particularly loading/transporting the nuclear bombs)

Overall, still top-ten worthy, sitting around #9 or 10 in my current rankings, and I plan to keep it there unless a further viewing makes me rank it otherwise.
  • 00Beast wrote:
    Watched LALD last week. Enjoyed it a lot, a pure classic. The only thing I hate is that Kananga isn't in his Mr. Big character for long and the way he dies has to be the most ridiculous and silly death in the entire franchise.

Agreed, it is a truly anti-climatic villain death, and fight for that matter. It's much too short and not brutal enough when compared to such nail-biters like Bond vs. Trevelyan, Blofeld in OHMSS, or Max Zorin.

Thunderball (1965)

Strengths: Music, Connery as 007, Emilio Largo and Fiona Volpe, Locations, Plot, Action

Weaknesses: Dragging here and there, lengthy underwater scenes in some places (particularly loading/transporting the nuclear bombs)

Overall, still top-ten worthy, sitting around #9 or 10 in my current rankings, and I plan to keep it there unless a further viewing makes me rank it otherwise.

Thunderball is my second favourite Connery film (behind FRWL) and one of my favourites. I think its maybe the darkest and most sinister Bond movie, it also feels like the longest. Best Bond girl/villain in Fiona Volpe :D
  • I really must get round to seeing Thunderball again, from what I can remember it's Connerys last impressive innings as 007, lots to keep the interest, Tom Jones puts forth a decent tune and it has some really nice looking ladies too. Yes I'll concur that the underwater scenes do drag on and get a bit banal, too much splashing about and you can't tell sometimes who is fighting who. Worth a shout to the end bit on the Disco Volante where they fight over control of the boat and these really silly background shots appear of rocks appear, it's like they're going at the speed of light and manage to navigate past these rocks at the very last second, always makes me laugh
    I really must get round to seeing Thunderball again, from what I can remember it's Connerys last impressive innings as 007, lots to keep the interest, Tom Jones puts forth a decent tune and it has some really nice looking ladies too. Yes I'll concur that the underwater scenes do drag on and get a bit banal, too much splashing about and you can't tell sometimes who is fighting who. Worth a shout to the end bit on the Disco Volante where they fight over control of the boat and these really silly background shots appear of rocks appear, it's like they're going at the speed of light and manage to navigate past these rocks at the very last second, always makes me laugh

Definitely a favorite final battle of mine! Such brutality and awesome fisticuffs!

@Arsenal: Yeah, FRWL and TB are two of my Connery favorites!
  • I don't recall too much brutality, maybe it's been a while since I last saw it. It has a decent teaser as I recall, but Connery with rocket pack over the rooftops was perhaps a bit daft. 'No well dressed man should be without one' etc. Indeed
    YOLT, well up to the part where the helicopter drops the car. Couldn't finish due to time, but I want to!

Still don't see how so many dislike it, and really.. Connery doesn't look as 'bored' as people make him out to look. It gets worse later in the film, but its not terribly distracting.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Moonraker. It's in my top five or six even though I'm essentially a Bond purist.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,694
    I don't recall too much brutality, maybe it's been a while since I last saw it. It has a decent teaser as I recall, but Connery with rocket pack over the rooftops was perhaps a bit daft. 'No well dressed man should be without one' etc. Indeed

Well IMO TB is the most brutal and violent Bond film... for a 1960's film audience must have been pretty shocked and amazed by the amount of brutality.... I put TB ahead of LTK in terms of violence because the latter was made in the era of Rambo and Die Hard so that type of violence was common in the late 80's...

Just watched MR - and for me it was like discovering a long lost treasure!
    I guess I had only watched it once a long time ago and never felt like doing it again, because it is arguably regarded one of the poorest outings. You know, it's when they went space-age-nuts with space station and laser guns etc...
    So I took it out of the shelve for the first time in ages. And I must say I was massively entertained! One factor is, that I hardly remebered the plot, so it was more surprising for me than usually watching a Bond film. And I still don't like the laser guns and Jaws and his stupid girlfriend are just ridiculous, but apart from that I loved it! Great locations, great set designs, good lines, funny but not over the top and VERY BEAUTIFUL girls!
    Yeah what I love about Monraker are the great locations and grand, imaginative set designs. It's quite a Flemingsque film in this respect.
  • Watched Dr No earlier today! Great film but why is Dr No only in the film for the last 20 minutes? Strange...
    To build up the suspense and add to the mystery. Good film making. It was fantastic only hearing his voice as he spoke to Dent earlier on regarding putting the spider in Bond's bed.
    Watched Dr No earlier today! Great film but why is Dr No only in the film for the last 20 minutes? Strange...

Last time I watched DN, I was extremely disappointed in how slow the film moves and how dull some of the scenes are. It took a big plunge down my rankings, which disappoints me, because I used to really like DN. Hopefully next time it'll be more exciting and fun to me so I can put it back in better ranking.
    Diamonds Are Forever

I have always have a good time watching DAF, and any way you look at it, it certainly is a fun Bond movie that doesn't fail to entertain. The locations are exciting, the villains are colorful, the music is top notch, and the dialogue is very quoteable. These are DAF's four strongest aspects. I used to have DAF at #3 in my rankings months ago, but have sinced moved it out of my Top Ten. The reasons for this are obvious: the action is not very thrilling, with only one good fight scene, which is of course, Bond vs. Peter Franks in the elevator. The finale is disappointing, and the entire second half is a little lower in standards than what the first half set up. Another thing that didn't use to bother me that has finally started to bother me is the constant plot holes and hard to follow script. Tracking the diamonds is a headache-inducing job, and as for Plenty O'Toole, don't even try to understand! Nevertheless, the movie has a certain charm and fun quality about it, and I can't help but to put it around #12, because it is a decent Bond movie.
  • Finished Moonraker earlier this evening. 1st hour is fantastic, a great Bond film. Then it plummets. If they had stayed on earth, it would be one of the best but they failed in the end. It became a joke of a Bond film which is sad becuase the potential was there. Drax is also the worst villain possible.
  • Moonraker could of been so much better if they hadn't had the asinine idea to put Bond in space, cash in on the Star Wars boom of the time etc, but it's just awkward to watch, laser beams everywhere, 007 in outer space, never been comfortable with it

Michael Lonsdale may well be an actor of the highest caliber but here was sadly lacking, he did have the best lines of the movie though, without question
  • Moonraker could of been so much better if they hadn't had the asinine idea to put Bond in space, cash in on the Star Wars boom of the time etc, but it's just awkward to watch, laser beams everywhere, 007 in outer space, never been comfortable with it

Michael Lonsdale may well be an actor of the highest caliber but here was sadly lacking, he did have the best lines of the movie though, without question

I wanted to throw up when I saw the lazers, it was very uncomfortable as you say.