Searching for a Thread

edited September 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 4,325
Anyone know if it's possible to refine a search? Like search only for the title of a thread. I searched for video games and it comes up with any mention of 'video' in comments as well as thread titles. Surely there's an easier way to search for things?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Google:

"MI6Community + ???"

The first couple of hits will have ??? in the title if such a thread exists.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,325
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Google:

"MI6Community + ???"

The first couple of hits will have ??? in the title if such a thread exists.

That's what I did, @Darthdimi but surely you could implement a better search feature into the website itself?! Surely that's not a difficult task?! Like search by Thread Title - would make life a lot easier, and I'm sure would prevent the issue of multiple threads.

I would have thought the Mods would have wanted to make the discussion forum as good and accessible as it can be - telling people to search by Google isn't meeting that, sorry, bit poor if I may say so.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No, actually you may not say so because the mods on this forum aren't involved in writing code or any such technical stuff. ;-) I wish I could; would make life a lot easier. :) Just wanted to help you out with the comment above.

Here's a place where you might be able to get lucky:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/9702/feedback-and-suggestions-v2/p1

And oh yes, multiple threads. Ah well... when we dare close a thread, people cry bloody murder. So sometimes we let several threads pass, threads which cover the same topics, because sometimes we're fed up with members explaining the subtle differences between "actors you'd cast in a Bond film" and "actors you would have cast in a Bond film". And with too many bananas in the fridge, navigating becomes a daunting task...

But hey, contact the admins, @tanaka123. Personally I find the Google trick working quite well. :) Ever wonder how mods can turn up with 5, 6, 7, ... links to duplicate threads so fast? Google is the answer. If it works, it works, right? :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    No, actually you may not say so because the mods on this forum aren't involved in writing code or any such technical stuff. ;-) I wish I could; would make life a lot easier. :) Just wanted to help you out with the comment above.

Here's a place where you might be able to get lucky:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/9702/feedback-and-suggestions-v2/p1

And oh yes, multiple threads. Ah well... when we dare close a thread, people cry bloody murder. So sometimes we let several threads pass, threads which cover the same topics, because sometimes we're fed up with members explaining the subtle differences between "actors you'd cast in a Bond film" and "actors you would have cast in a Bond film". And with too many bananas in the fridge, navigating becomes a daunting task...

But hey, contact the admins, @tanaka123. Personally I find the Google trick working quite well. :) Ever wonder how mods can turn up with 5, 6, 7, ... links to duplicate threads so fast? Google is the answer. If it works, it works, right? :)

Thanks, that clears it up, I suppose our friend Google will have to do for now.
    Just used the Google search method to find a thread and it worked straight away,so that's fine.
    The Major told me about the Google method before but this is the first time I have used it.
    I prefer Bing myself.
    Yes...that Christmas duet with David Bowie is indeed very moving ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yes...that Christmas duet with David Bowie is indeed very moving ;)

You're splitting my sides.
  • Could I BE a better search engine? ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Time perhaps for a reminder of the IFM I think.
    IFM?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Ignore then Flag and then Move on no need to comment as it only wastes time and space .
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Ignore then Flag and then Move on no need to comment as it only wastes time and space .

I'm trying to waste time ... that's why I'm here ...