Favourite John Glen BOND? (POLL ADDED)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Thrasos wrote: »
    There are several reasons why I rank FYEO first, partly because I think its henchmen are more threatening

That's the best laugh I'll have today.

Locque who spends most of his time staring and sitting down drinking coffee (does he even kill anyone? Ferrara maybe, but off screen, and I suppose he shoots someone in the warehouse) and Eric 'blandness personified' Kriegler? The way he rolls along that flat roof to his death is pathetic.

To say either of these, or even both combined, come anywhere near Necros or Gobinda is sheer lunacy.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to reassess my previous ranking, based on recent & repeated viewings:

1. OP
    2. LTK
    3. FYEO
    4. TLD
    5. AVTAK

TLD has taken the largest fall of all of them and FYEO has seen some improvement. Overall, I find OP to be the most entertaining, fast paced and satisfying of the lot, with LTK a close 2nd purely on the strength of Dalton & Davi's performance, and despite the supporting cast.
  • GBFGBF
    There are several reasons why I rank FYEO first, partly because I think its henchmen are more threatening

Locque who spends most of his time staring and sitting down drinking coffee (does he even kill anyone? Ferrara maybe, but off screen, and I suppose he shoots someone in the warehouse) and Eric 'blandness personified' Kriegler? The way he rolls along that flat roof to his death is pathetic.

To say either of these, or even both combined, come anywhere near Necros or Gobinda is sheer lunacy.

I like Loque because he is like a Spectre, more observing but still brutal. He also kills Lisl by the way. But you are right, he is not as frightening as Necros, Mayday, Dario or Gobinda. Still good and different. And I appreciate this. At least he is not another Oddjob clone...
    Locque is one of those villains that doesn't look that physically imposing or menacing. He just looks like an asshole. So it's more than rewarding when Sir Roger kicks him off the cliff.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,469
    I suppose it's partly subjective how threats seem to us. One good scene in FYEO is the one in the elevator going to the ski jump...Charles Dance has a menacing look, and Locque points the gun in his jacket pocket at Bond. Kriegler pins Bond down with gunfire on the snowy hillside. And that could've been quite a fall off the rock ledge. Brad Whitaker just did not seem threatening to me, and I find so much of the emotional tension in a Bond film depends on the villain. True, Necros is a capable killer.
  • 1.TLD
    2.LTK
    3.OP
    4.AVTAK
    5.FYEO
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2016 Posts: 6,758
    The Dalton ones definitely on top, as it stands now I'd say:

1. LTK
    2. TLD

Then there is Rog, who I actually prefer in his 70's outings, but here we go:

3. AVTAK (love the villains and the music)
    4. OP (not my favourite but great Cold War atmosphere and that Alfa :x )
    5. FYEO (admirable effort, though very vanilla in my book)
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 6,432
    1. TLD
    2. LTK
    3. OP
    4. FYEO
    5. AVTAK

All Glen's films are easy to watch.
    I met the man himself over the Bank Holiday weekend.
  • I have to agree that the villains in FYEO were rather boring. Locque was decent but he gets killed halfway anyway. Literally all the other Glens had better villains.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2016 Posts: 2,252
    I'm find of all of them regardless of where they fall in my final ranking. Glen is hardly the golden era but I feel each one offers something unique. The era I am most fond of

TLD - has some out of place moments butso many stand out scenes.
    OP - pure fun and one of the best cast of villains
    FYEO - not particularly special in any way but I like it anyway
    LTK - in many ways I like it more than FYEO but doesn't feel like a Bond movie
    AVTAK - a guilty pleasure. It's fallen in my rankings....A cheap feel and pacing is off
    It's a toss up between TLD and FYEO for me. I lay awake nights sometimes trying to decide but I can't.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 92
    1. The Living Daylights - locations, music, T-Dalt, Cold War vibe, intricate plot, strong secondary characters (Pushkin, Kara), some great action set pieces. Brilliant!
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Octopussy
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. A View To A Kill
    1) The Living Daylights, sublime, pure Fleming
    2) Licence To Kill , under-rated, ahead of its time
    3) Octopussy, Moores finest hour
    4) For Your Eyes Only, a strong debut from Glen, but he improved wth each film
    5) A View To A Kill, a what could of been. Sterling villain and action, let down badly by humour and Moores age!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    LTK then OP and AVTAK joint second
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    TLD Top 5 Bond
    FYEO Best Roger Moore
    OP Great entertainment
    AVTAK average but has some good moments
    LTK Just doesn't work
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I'll have a go!

1. Licence to Kill
    2. The Living Daylights
    3. Octopussy
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. A View To A Kill - the only one he dropped the ball on.
    Actually, 3 of Glen's pictures are in my top ten. I guess I kinda liked Glen.
    So do I. I have 4 in mine, if you count his work on OHMSS!!
    Well, if we're going by that logic, OHMSS and Spy are also in my top ten
    LTK is my fav film of all time.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1. Octopussy
    2. TLD
    3. AVTAK
    4. LTK
    5. FYEO
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    John Glen made a very odd bunch of Bond films. Unlike Young, Hamilton or Gilbert he didn't seem to have a definitive style.

1. Octopussy. I do like the soft focus feel to this one. And the action folds into the film more smoothly than it does in some of his other films.
    I'm like everyone else when it comes to the 'jokes' incorporated into the jungle chase, but it's easy to forgive them when the rest is so exciting, the stunts so admirable and the cast chewing the scenery for all it's worth. My enjoyment of OP has rarely faltered.

2. The Living Daylights. I enjoy this one for much the same reasons as Octopussy, but on the plus side TLD has no stupid jokes, and a younger actor to add more vigour to the action sequences. I'm no fan of Dalton's theatrics. In an otherwise excellent pre-title sequence he delivers the line 'Better make that two' enunciating like MacBeth rather than Bond. Only four words and he blows it. A very good Bond film nonetheless.

3. For Your Eyes Only. Rooky director misses a few tricks (the scene where Kristatos is revealed by Columbo to be the villain is tossed away with no thought for tension or dramatic effect). But a relief after Moonraker to get Bond back on the ground. Always struggled to engage fully with FYEO due to the way the action sequences are paced (the ice hockey fight follows right behind the ski-ing, the submarine battle right after the fight with the diver. As a result both are a drag), and the length of these sequences.

4. A View To A Kill. Feels flat, tired and monotonous. Moore who looks so good in FYEO now looks like his own granddad. Some good stunts in Paris, Walken at his psycho best, little else.

5. Licence To Kill. I've tried, I've really tried, but LTK always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Mean, brutal, hard-nosed, call it what you will, it came at a time when we got the stylish exciting Die Hard, and dear God it's not hard to see why DH was a roaring success and LTK met with indifference. Dalton does his best but he isn't an actor who can take the lead in a multi million dollar action film. He gurns and eye-swivels but when he is with Robert Davi he gets acted off the park.
    The climatic tanker chase is an absolute rip snorter though. Dalton and Davi do a great job in those scenes.
    TLD
    FYEO
    LTK
    OP
    AVTAK
    NicNac, pretty much disagree with a lot you say re Glen! Regarding Dalton, i think he nailed Bond pretty much when he first turns to camera in that superb intro shot in TLD!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    NicNac, pretty much disagree with a lot you say re Glen! Regarding Dalton, i think he nailed Bond pretty much when he first turns to camera in that superb intro shot in TLD!
    And what's more Mathis1, you are right. And so am I! That's what is great about such a vast and diverse series, we all have differing views.

I do agree about Dalton's first shot though, really good.

I remember the first time watching TLD at the cinema, we weren't that familiar with Dalton and at first we thought he was the first 00 whose rope is cut! Dead in the first 5 minute!!
    1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. Octopussy
    3. The Living Daylights
    4. Licence To Kill
    5. A View To A Kill
  • GBFGBF
    1. The Living Dsaylights (1/24)
    2. For your eyes Only (2/24)
    3. A View to a Kill (8/24)
    4. Octopussy (13/24)
    5. Licence to Kill (18/24)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    1. TLD (fantastic pre-title sequence and explosive milk)
    2. FYEO (great car chase and snow action, exciting climbing)
    3. LTK (Robert Davi, beautiful women, a lot of Q)
    4. OP (a mix between fantastic action and strange humour)
    5. AVTAK (too many stuntmen for Roger)

John Glen did a really good job, especially the action is very satisfying.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1. TLD (fantastic pre-title sequence and explosive milk)
    2. FYEO (great car chase and snow action, exciting climbing)
    3. LTK (Robert Davi, beautiful women, a lot of Q)
    4. OP (a mix between fantastic action and strange humour)
    5. AVTAK (too many stuntmen for Roger)

John Glen did a really good job, especially the action is very satisfying.

Almost the same as me, except I would swap your no. 1 with no. 2.