Bond shouldn't move with the times

Up until the end of Dalton's era, the Bonds has similar attitudes towards women and a certain 'class' as Sanchez pointed out. I think the producers missed a trick in having Bond's views move with the times. It's making him too generic and actually having a fish out water situation at times could have been interesting for the character and produced some comedy.

I'm not talking about making a big political point about it, and of course the Bonds will have some personality differences (for example Dalton was not a womaniser), but to me the change since Dalton era and particularly in the Craig era is very noticeable. Bond's views and attitudes should be from Fleming as far as possible; anything else and you are taking Bond away from the real McCoy.

Comments

Yes. I agree- Bond should be set in his ways and not influenced by current views. He does become generic otherwise and just not James Bond. It's one thing to evolve and have different interpretations, but trying to change an established character can fall flat. To me, Bond is as established as, Santa Claus, or Dracula.
    I think GE was an attempt at putting the old school Bond into the contemporary world. I remember when Pierce was cast Mickey G said part of the fun of the character is that Bond isn't exactly a PC character..or something to that effect. Be nice to see more of that in the future.
  • Should Bond be able to say 'man talk' now?
    Should Bond be able to say 'man talk' now?
    LOL- I suppose that would depend of if the actor himself can pull that line off, and the audience find it amusing.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Doubtful due to the feminist movement and societal changes over the last fifty years or so.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Yes. And slap her arse as she goes!

Then he lights his 40th cigarette of the day.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Fleming's Bond, which, for me, should ever be the guiding source, was a man adverse to change. He was old-fashioned even in the era that those stories were set in. He preferred older cars, did not care for new technologies (let alone gadgets), and frequently expressed sadness at the changes in the world, particularly in his favorite cities, that had emerged post-war. He rued the weakening of British Imperialism and thought of woman's suffrage as the beginning of societies decline.
    As far as new technologies and gadgets are concerned, I must object. Connery´s Bond made a point of despising Q´s gadgets. Fleming on the other hand had Bond admire Red Grant´s gun hidden in a book. Bond then even makes a mental note to suggest to Q to make something like that too.

For me, it´s not about being as close to Fleming as possible. The charme of Bond is that he´s far from being a role model, yet still it´s great fun to watch him do his work.
    Un-pc elements should be used to a better effect. The biggest-selling Bond film in recent decades played to such a degree with Bond having emotional instabilities that it seems hypocritical to have him avoid cigarettes and benzedrine or something more contemporary along that line. Give M some real reason to scold Bond, not such lame things as "Mexico city. What happened".

Thing is, the "original" Bond - the one who disliked women in the field - would in all likelyhood be dead by now.

I get that Bond should be somewhat outdated, but he should still be credible enough to be of working age within a modern mi6. As time goes by, surely we will see less of those "man's world" comments.
    Fleming's Bond, which, for me, should ever be the guiding source, was a man adverse to change. He was old-fashioned even in the era that those stories were set in. He preferred older cars, did not care for new technologies (let alone gadgets), and frequently expressed sadness at the changes in the world, particularly in his favorite cities, that had emerged post-war. He rued the weakening of British Imperialism and thought of woman's suffrage as the beginning of societies decline.

A great moment for me post-Dalton is in GE when Bond is visibly surprised by Natalya's computer skills in the train and simply responds "yes sir" when she barks at him.

It's similar to the very end of LTK when Pam tells Bond to get in the truck.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I think the makers have done a pretty commendable job of keeping the Bond character as is but still managing to keep him current so to speak.

I think one of the best examples is in CR when Bond tells Vesper to walk in wearing that dress to distract the other players but it ends up backfiring and Bond is the one distracted by her!

Earlier in the film Bond seduces Solange simply to get information which in turn results in her murder. Something the Bond character has always done.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,333
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Thing is, the "original" Bond - the one who disliked women in the field - would in all likelyhood be dead by now.

I get that Bond should be somewhat outdated, but he should still be credible enough to be of working age within a modern mi6. As time goes by, surely we will see less of those "man's world" comments.
    That's part of the problem I have with the post-Dalton Bonds, that they now refer to themselves as MI6 and not the British Secret Service or even the clandestine SIS. But let's not forget it was Dalton's Bond that was the first to usher in and acknowledge PCisms during his tenure. That's why Dalton didn't get to shag any of his leading ladies. He was more a case of The Spy Who Didn't Shag Me. Of course smoking was OK back then as it was still permitted in cinemas, on London transport and pretty much everywhere you cared to have a puff. By the time Brosnan took over in GE it was smoking that would be considered dirty and eventually outlawed and shagging that would once again be allowed (AIDS no longer the big worldwide threat it once was) so long as it came with a lecture from M.

Having worked in an office and within a female oriented environment myself, I wouldn't necessarily agree that sexism has been completely eradicated today, on both sides that is. As let's not forget women can also be sexist towards men, too, but that's always quietly brushed under the carpet, much like wives that beat their husbands.

I think it's easy to forget, and this is aimed at younger audiences, that Bond is a male fantasy figure and a caricature playboy; and as such things like "man talk" and slapping a girl on the rear were a male fantasy, and something that only Bond could've gotten away with on screen, even back in 64. That's what made him unique and attractive to other men. Also, if I recall correctly, Bond was never sexist in the work environment, only out in the field where anything is game. Certainly before George Orwell's 1984 became a reality post-Dalton age.
    That's why Dalton didn't get to shag any of his leading ladies. He was more a case of The Spy Who Didn't Shag Me.

We obviusly haven't seen the same movies. In TLD, he definitely shag the woman on the boat, and who knows what he did with Kara on the big wheel or in her dressing room. And in LTK, both Pam (on the boat) and Lupe are shagged by Bond. Of course, it's shown discreetly, but the clues are there.
    Times change. The Bonds stay the same.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Bond was always an idea. Not a character. Well he is a character, but his legacy is carried in his idea. Without that, Bond would have died long ago.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,189
    A great moment for me post-Dalton is in GE when Bond is visibly surprised by Natalya's computer skills in the train and simply responds "yes sir" when she barks at him.

Then we veer heavily here, I hate those moments. It's as bad as all of the anti-smoking PSAs we get in the Brosnan Era.

I think that moment in GE was meant to be more light hearted. I always liked Brosnan's reaction - clearly impressed but surprised by her feistiness.

@Bondsum. That's very true about Dalton's Bond. However, the shifting opinion on smoking showed itself (a little) even in LTK with the warning over the end credits and Pam confessing to not having a cigarette for 5 years.

I think it's actually quite ironic that the last time we saw Bond himself smoke was during the Cuba scenes in DAD.

That's also a fair comment about sexism not being completely eradicated in the workplace. Nonetheless, the idea of females in higher, more authoritative positions within government or as law enforcers, authority figures etc perhaps isn't as unusual as it might have been in earlier times.
    Gerard wrote: »
    That's why Dalton didn't get to shag any of his leading ladies. He was more a case of The Spy Who Didn't Shag Me.

We obviusly haven't seen the same movies. In TLD, he definitely shag the woman on the boat, and who knows what he did with Kara on the big wheel or in her dressing room. And in LTK, both Pam (on the boat) and Lupe are shagged by Bond. Of course, it's shown discreetly, but the clues are there.

I think the idea was that Bond wasn't a "serial shagger" like Sean, George or Rog before him. Also, in Lupe's case it was she who seduced him.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 17,727
    "Bond shouldn't move with the times."? This guy probably disagrees:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/feb/08/ian-fleming-sky-atlantic-james-bond
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 3,333

In the PTS of TLD Bond only asks to borrow her brick phone and is invited to join her in a glass of champagne on the boat. There is the slight nudge-nudge-wink-wink suggestion of a possible shag but there are no clinches or kisses to be seen, all quite harmless. Maybe we did see different movies, as I distinctly recall the Bond producers making a big deal out of the fact Bond doesn't get a shag in TLD in 1987 --- so much so it was derided in a lot of the reviews in the UK on release --- so no Kara shag despite what you think you might've seen by the Ferris wheel. I'll admit my memory is somewhat fuzzy with LTK, I don't recall any big clinchers or bedroom scenes in that movie, but there might've been a subtle hint of something going on somewhere. It's not one of my favourites, and since watching it back in the cinema on release I haven't revisited it very often. I guess I'll have to take your word that Dalton gets a bit of a sniff in LTK. But compared to Brosnan, Dalton didn't really get to use his gearstick, did he? Mostly it was stuck in first.

@BAIN, I have no idea how many women were in the SIS (MI6) in earlier times as it was only acknowledged to exist in 1994 by the John Major government. I'm not sure if it's public record or not? Though I do find it hard to believe there were no women in high authority roles before then, especially as we'd just had a female PM and there had been numerous women in both political parties long before then. The only reason Judi Dench was cast in the role of M was due to Stella Rimington having the real life role of Director General of MI6 (92 to 96).

By the way, @BAIN, I'm not necessarily in favour of women in high profile positions, as some of the ones I've worked for in the publishing world have been absolute bloody tyrants, and in fact a lot worse than any of the men in identical or similar positions.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,189
    bondsum wrote: »

In the PTS of TLD Bond only asks to borrow her brick phone and is invited to join her in a glass of champagne on the boat. There is the slight nudge-nudge-wink-wink suggestion of a possible shag but there are no clinches or kisses to be seen, all quite harmless. Maybe we did see different movies, as I distinctly recall the Bond producers making a big deal out of the fact Bond doesn't get a shag in TLD in 1987 --- so much so it was derided in a lot of the reviews in the UK on release --- so no Kara shag despite what you think you might've seen by the Ferris wheel. I'll admit my memory is somewhat fuzzy with LTK, I don't recall any big clinchers or bedroom scenes in that movie, but there might've been a subtle hint of something going on somewhere. It's not one of my favourites, and since watching it back in the cinema on release I haven't revisited it very often. I guess I'll have to take your word that Dalton gets a bit of a sniff in LTK. But compared to Brosnan, Dalton didn't really get to use his gearstick, did he? Mostly it was stuck in first.

@BAIN, I have no idea how many women were in the SIS (MI6) in earlier times as it was only acknowledged to exist in 1994 by the John Major government. I'm not sure if it's public record or not? Though I do find it hard to believe there were no women in high authority roles before then, especially as we'd just had a female PM and there had been numerous women in both political parties long before then. The only reason Judi Dench was cast in the role of M was due to Stella Rimington having the real life role of Director General of MI6 (92 to 96).

By the way, @BAIN, I'm not necessarily in favour of women in high profile positions, as some of the ones I've worked for in the publishing world have been absolute bloody tyrants, and in fact a lot worse than any of the men in identical or similar positions.

When I said "earlier times" I meant more in Fleming's era/the 60s and 70s really - basically before the likes of Thatcher (I do wonder what Fleming/Bond would have thought of her).

I do take your point though.

I suppose my original point about whether Bond should move with the times is that, providing the series continues into the future, HE HAS to move with the times...to a point. He has to be a man that you can believe exists in the contemporary world.

On the whole I think the series has done that fairly well.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 17,727

When I said "earlier times" I meant more in Fleming's era/the 60s and 70s really - basically before the likes of Thatcher (I do wonder what Fleming/Bond would have thought of her).

Well James Bond meets PM Margaret Thatcher (along with Gorbachev and President Bush Snr.) on board HMS Invincible in John Gardner's Win, Lose or Die (1989) and she also features in Scorpius (1988).
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Well James Bond meets PM Margaret Thatcher (along with Gorbachev and President Bush Snr.) on board HMS Invincible in John Gardner's Win, Lose or Die (1989) and she also features in Scorpius (1988).

Ah. I've not read those :p
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Ah. I've not read those :p

Not to worry. There's not too much interaction there anyway. And Thatcher featured at the end of FYEO too, I suppose where "Bond" seemed to love her!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think one of the best examples is in CR when Bond tells Vesper to walk in wearing that dress to distract the other players but it ends up backfiring and Bond is the one distracted by her!

Earlier in the film Bond seduces Solange simply to get information which in turn results in her murder. Something the Bond character has always done.
    I agree. CR had some wonderful examples of how to bring Bond's sexism into this century and still make it work. It was a nicely updated interpretation of the character, including during the banter with Vesper on the train and in the car on the way to the hotel.

Then we veer heavily here, I hate those moments. It's as bad as all of the anti-smoking PSAs we get in the Brosnan Era.
    I agree. I disliked these moments very much as well. Despite loving this film, I think it was too heavy on the 'fem' commentary and Bond seemed like a wuss. Thankfully Brosnan underplayed (I can't believe I'm saying this about him) it. Really it was in TND that things began to get out of hand, beginning with the slap, which was done again in TWINE for further humiliation (he really should have seen it coming in both cases).
    I think he should move with the times, but less of the PC nonsense!!
    One of the best lines in CR was the following (I couldn't believe they did this actually - it took balls and the right actor to deliver it convincingly):

"Well then you're an idiot."
    "I'm sorry?!" (aka wtf did you just say to me?)
    "I said you're a bloody idiot. Look in my eyes. I can beat this man. You know that"
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,189
    One of the most on-the-nose instances of changing with the times was in TND with the "Filthy habit!" line. I personally feel Bond should still smoke, even if I don't personally advocate it.

Also, this discussion made me think of a line in SP that I really loved, when he is in the mountain clinic at the bar, and the man working there tries to give Bond some sort of kale green fruit smoothie and Bond says: "Do me a favor, will you? Throw that down the toilet. Cut out the middleman." Its sort of anti-gluten-free, which i like.

I think that SF did a great job at capturing Bond as he was in the books, drinking and sleeping around, but in SF, he seems miserable while he's doing it, like, look at him the morning after the scorpion trick party, he's so bored and sad looking at that bar. I don't think Bond from the books is as melancholy as Craig's Bond is. Bond is supposed to enjoy himself as much as he can within his lonely profession, like Sean and Roger did.
    I personally don't think that Bond is changed. He's still the cool character as he was in DN for example (more or less)

I haven't seen anything yet that would make me scream "aaa stupid PC BS!!" from the movies yet so....idk so far so good I guess..
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,686
    Since GE it seems Bond (both Brosnan and Craig) spends more time shirtless/in swim trunks/whatever than the ladies in bikini. We've only had Natalya on the Cuban beach, Jinx in Cuba and Solange on the Bahamas beach. Now, I have no problem with Bond showing off (the size of the female audience who watches Bond films is growing) but I'd like to be reminded that a lot of males are seeing these films too. Casting talented actress for 3 dimensional Bond girls is fine, but don't forget that these ladies are supposed to be very good looking, just like our dear James Bond needs to be suave/sophisticated/classy. I'd like another Naomie character where she just shuts everyone up without talking.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Then he lights his 40th cigarette of the day.

Even though it's only noon!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think he should move with the times, but less of the PC nonsense!!

Therein lies the problem of displaying modernity and keeping anachronism at one and the same time!

Since GE it seems Bond (both Brosnan and Craig) spends more time shirtless/in swim trunks/whatever than the ladies in bikini. We've only had Natalya on the Cuban beach, Jinx in Cuba and Solange on the Bahamas beach. Now, I have no problem with Bond showing off (the size of the female audience who watches Bond films is growing) but I'd like to be reminded that a lot of males are seeing these films too. Casting talented actress for 3 dimensional Bond girls is fine, but don't forget that these ladies are supposed to be very good looking, just like our dear James Bond needs to be suave/sophisticated/classy. I'd like another Naomie character where she just shuts everyone up without talking.
    I completely agree @DaltonCraig007. I certainly had my mouth open while watching her in TSWLM yesterday, even though I've seen that scene many times before. Bond unable to stop giving her the looks on the boat while Anya looks on jealously is a classic as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Exactly, @bondjames. I'm not asking for gratuitous close ups of female arses and boobs like in the 'Fast & Furious' films, but these Bond girls should be the most talked female characters of the year. I hate to bring the comparison up but in 2015, Rebecca Ferguson and her godly legs from 'Rogue Nation' stole the show. Had TB been released last year, everyone would be gaga-ing over Fiona Volpe.