*Your most emotional movie viewing experience*

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Starman usually leaves my wife gasping for breath and sobbing uncontrollably. I try to fight it but the knock on effect is pallpable.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    What about the final few scenes of DAD? I was virtually crying then?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I forgot: E.T. Saw it in the theatre when I was about 15. Cried like a child. Still feel the urges when watching this wonderful film.
    Schinder's List.

Everyone deserves to see it at least once. Everyone.

Absolutely agree, everyone should see this once. The most touching and moving movie experience I ever went through.

dchantry wrote:
    Schinder's List.

Everyone deserves to see it at least once. Everyone.

Absolutely agree, everyone should see this once. The most touching and moving movie experience I ever went through.

Great film. I actually went to Auschwitz when I was in 6th Form, a moving experience.

Another film I'd recommend which is actually a lot more brutal IMO is Roman Polanski's The Pianist.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Oh yes, tears of sweet, sweet joy as the pain and suffering is over!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Oh yes, tears of sweet, sweet joy as the pain and suffering is over!

More like 'How could they do this to 007' :'( :'(
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    (Sigh) It's such a shame that DAD is a big joke on these forums. No matter what thread I go to it's always somehow brought up then killed. :( I actually think it's a decent movie, but oh well.
    (Sigh) It's such a shame that DAD is a big joke on these forums. No matter what thread I go to it's always somehow brought up then killed. :( I actually think it's a decent movie, but oh well.

It does have it's good moments to be fair - regardless of what some might say. It also has some VERY bad ones.

Anyway, I started it so I'll put an end to it. Lets stop the DAD bashing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:

It does have it's good moments to be fair - regardless of what some might say. It also has some VERY bad ones.

It's impossible for me to speak of it positively, so here I take my exit.
    BAIN123 wrote:

It's impossible for me to speak of it positively, so here I take my exit.

No it isn't - EVERY Bond film has its merits.
    I'm with Bain on this. Every Bond film has things to offer, even DAD. There's the rather powerful first act for example.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm with Bain on this. Every Bond film has things to offer, even DAD. There's the rather powerful first act for example.

Agreed, I think with DAD there's also some nice "little" touches in the film. Bond trying to kill Miranda for instance. A good film thats desperate to get out.
  • Amelie, made be feel good for months. Happy.

Heathers - my age made me connect to the troubled teenagers. Moody.

The world according to garp - we are all going to die. Depressed.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Lord of the Rings (Return of the King)
    Educating Rita
    The Verdict (Newman at his best, in my opiinion)
    Rocky
    On Golden Pond
    Billy Elliott
    The Lion King
    Babe (yes, the pig movie)
    some really older films, too
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Two Women (Sophia Loren's oscar winning role)
    On the Waterfront
    Miracle on 34th Street

'Atonement'. The only "chick flick" were I was actually very moved!
    While I never cried in them I remember Love Actually (yes I know!!) and Finding Neverland being quite emotional too.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    While I never cried in them I remember Love Actually (yes I know!!)

sorry, couldn't help but laugh a bit ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    BAIN123 wrote:
    While I never cried in them I remember Love Actually (yes I know!!) and Finding Neverland being quite emotional too.

Well, I almost put down Love Actually, too. :)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 12,837
    the end of the last crusade was pretty sad for me, because I really loved the indy films and I knew it was the last one (even though I saw it afew years after its release).
    the end of the last crusade was pretty sad for me, because I really loved the indy films and I knew it was the last one (even though I saw it afew years after its release).
    It SHOULD have been the last one. Up yours Lucas!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Wrath of khan.

Watching fellowship of the ring at the cinema blew me away.
    Watching fellowship of the ring at the cinema blew me away.
    You can edit your post instead of posting again.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,699
    NicNac wrote:
    Starman usually leaves my wife gasping for breath and sobbing uncontrollably. I try to fight it but the knock on effect is pallpable.

The end of E.T. always does it to my mum, to such an extent that if ever it were on and she was passing through the room, she'd have to make sure she'd left before the end, otherwise she'd be in buckets.

Say what you like about Spielberg's ability to manipulate an audience's emotions being cynical, but he's outstanding at it...

St_George wrote:
    Say what you like about Spielberg's ability to manipulate an audience's emotions being cynical, but he's outstanding at it...

Spielberg is a genius. He creates the ugliest creature in the universe and not only do we all fall for its charms and cuteness, our eyes are filled with tears when it boards the spaceship for its journey home. Cynical or not, Spielberg understands good Sunday afternoon entertainment.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Agreed. Although almost as great as Spielberg's direction during E.T.'s final scene is John Williams' score. Utterly brilliant.

The second when Mary (Elliot's mum) laughs out of sheer ebullience at what she's witnessing gets me every time, have to admit...

In so many ways, it's an awesome movie...

• I only saw ET about twice and that was enough, I know some have it down as a personal favorite or whatever but it's just not for this one

I remember seeing Watership Down on it's original release and I don't mind saying there was a lump in the throat at times, it's a genuinely sad and moving animation, anybody who thinks otherwise is a liar or has simply never bothered to watch it even

I've never shed tears in a theater I can honestly say that but was moved to a certain extent by such releases at the time as Star Trek II, where Nimoy sacrifices himself for the good of the ship at the end in the radiation chamber, got a bit animated, it was a bit of a giveaway that the character would somehow return when Part III was titled 'The Search for Spock'

I don't mind admitting too during some of the early Rocky films too especially when Stallone first becomes champion, his trainer has a heart attack or Apollo gets killed by Drago in Part 4 was it, all a bit silly but significant nonetheless

• Lost in Translation. While I show little difference in emotion after viewing it, this film always has me in deep thought about my life after every viewing. Anyone who is in to thoughtful, charecter driven movies should enjoy it. I will warn you there is little action in it so it isn't for everyone.
    ET does touch my heartstrings time after time.

Watership Down is genius book and the original animated movie is very touching indeed.

Star Trek 2 has it brilliant moment and Spocks demise is indeed touching.

Any Stallone movie makes me cry, that I was dumb enough to spend money on it. :D

Lassie come home with a very young Liz Taylor is a sure tissue-matter, WHen the mutt finaly finds his way home to it boss I find it hard to not be emotional.

OHMSS Tracy's demise does touch me every time (well acted mr. Lazenby)
    SaintMark wrote:
    Any Stallone movie makes me cry, that I was dumb enough to spend money on it. :D

There are actually scenes in the first couple of Rocky films where I have a genuine feeling of sadness. Stallone can be very tears inducing in his writing and even occasionally in his acting, especially in some of the Rocky films. Of course those blunt action flicks don't have that bit of magic. ;-)