Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The series needs to be put to bed. Kojima is happy to be away from it and Konami doesn't know what the fuck to do with it. This entire idea is just an insult to Kojima and the work he did. Kojima loved Dawn of the Dead, and considers it the prime inspiration for Metal Gear, so the man would have put zombies in if he felt it was right, the Wandering Puppets missions were sorta like that, but he would never have done this.

This game doesn't happen. It isn't real. It can be released, I'll play it, I may even enjoy it because Metal Gear and zombies are two of my three favorite things on this planet, but the franchise, the canon ended with The Phantom Pain, and this will not change that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Have any of you guys seen this:

Kinda freaky and interesting...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    People made that speculation a lot back when the break-up happened. I doubt it was intentional foreshadowing. Harsher in hindsight, as TV Tropes probably says.
    85113697.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    F*** Konami.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    F*** Konami.

@doubleoego

=D>
    To be quite earnest, reading up on the kind of working conditions Konami has forced their workers to endure that go beyond disrespect or cruelty, I can't wait for their future games to fail as Kojima, free from their oppressive chains, does joint work with his Sony partners to continue to deliver ground breaking content. He'll have one of the biggest last laughs of all time before too long.

Now, all Konami have are bean counters pushing throwaway mobile games and those damn licensed pachinko machines. Without the imagination of Hideo and his team, a trait greed hounds lack across the board, there's nowhere to go for them but down, and they deserve all the ruination coming their way. Disgraceful.
    Survive will net them some good money, though. There will still be enough fans who buy it because it has the Metal Gear title on it. I don't like the idea of this game existing, though I'm sure it'll at least play well. As long as it keeps the mechanics of MGSV, it will play just fine. There were non-canon alternate universe games in the series prior to this, being the Ghost Babel and Ac!d games, which were excellent.

The biggest difference between Survive and those games is that Kojima was still there then. He approved Ghost Babel, he approved the Ac!ds, he was the one who told them to go those routes. Survive is Konami holding on to a license and trying to twist as much money out of it before it goes dry as possible.

One thing I don't simply don't understand is this widespread belief that this could be a coma dream that Big Boss has between Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. People throw this up to me all the time and I see no evidence of this. Where does this rumor come from?
    There is no evidence and it is made up. The game is an alternate reality and has nothing to do with the main characters/story.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wish they just remade Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.
    Same here- how cool would it be to play as Solid Snake and actually fight Venom (as we saw him with red arm) and have to destroy the Mother Base you built in Phantom Pain!
    Fans have tried to get remakes off the ground, but as far as I know Konami has exterminated all of them.

Did they stop the recent fan remake of MGS1 that was being made and that a trailer and footage as released for?
    Yep. The sad thing is, Konami in some cases have even given their blessing to have these remakes made...BUT when footage of its awesomeness is released they have it killed. I don't understand those fools. The Japanese are well known for their savvy business sense but the chaps at Konami are smoking something.
    In a society such as Japan where honor is seen as one of the prime ideals, Konami really make you wonder what their deal is.

It takes real effort and pain-staking work to make as big a mess of their future as they have. Axing their biggest talent, canceling sure fit hit games and canning the mind behind the very franchise that made them a household name, then acting like the sky wasn't falling and that pachinko machines and mobile games would keep them afloat from here on out. They could have drowned in money forever, but they chose to basically self-sabotage their future. Idiots.

I think top brass had such a hard on for putting the screws to Kojima that they were willing to burn their meal ticket to do it, not to say Kojima is a boy scout either. Now Kojima's future is secured in his Sony partnerships and Konami have nothing but a work force who they treat like prisoners, and a consumer market that turns on them more and more each day in shame and disbelief.

It's crazy how one year can change everything for such a big name developer and how the future of one of gaming's most iconic franchises can sour so unexpectedly.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The gaming industry as a whole seems to be losing their touch and ideals on where to go.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,813
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/77633/trying-to-explain-videogames-to-your-non-gaming-parents
    download.jpg

This actually made me laugh out loud. I nearly had this same scenario with my own dad on vacation recently! (luckily Quiet didn't show up)
    Yep! Perfectly apt description of the Konami/mgs fans dynamic.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Spot on!
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    What? You guys don't like pachinko machines? Man, Kojima spoiled you and now you all choose this moment to start being ungrateful, right when you're getting an awesome ZOMBIE GAME?

;)

That was me under the guise of Konami's CEO. How did I do?
    Dear Konami, we don't rike it!
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,813
    This trailer for MGS3 using footage from that bullshit Pachinko machine literally makes me sad. Just look at the potential!!

Clever use of the song 'Dream on' though.

Seriously, who wouldn't play the hell out of this game?!?
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited September 2016 Posts: 784
    To go along with the video, check out these HD wallpapers:
    http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=28032

This is my personal favorite:
    MGS-Snake-Eater-Pachislot-Wallpaper-Smartphone-2.jpg
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    It's a shame Konami are wasting those amazing resources like this. Of course who can fault them, as they're apparently making bank with this approach.

If they did a gradual series of ground-up rebuilds of MGS 1, 2 and 3 with those graphics, I think the fans would go nuts, no matter how much bad blood is out there right now amongst the consumer base.

My favorite is this shot of Big Boss:

MGS-Snake-Eater-Pachislot-Wallpaper-PC-5.jpg
  • If they did a gradual series of ground-up rebuilds of MGS 1, 2 and 3 with those graphics, I think the fans would go nuts, no matter how much bad blood is out there right now amongst the consumer base.
    Oh my god yes. Loyalty be damned, if they did that, Konami would get my money!!!
    Not sure why they aren't doing exactly that....

They aren't getting my money from MG Survive, that's for damn sure. That would make a cool DLC for Phantom Pain (like the zombies from Red Dead Redemption, now that's how you do DLC!!), not a whole game.
    If they did a gradual series of ground-up rebuilds of MGS 1, 2 and 3 with those graphics, I think the fans would go nuts, no matter how much bad blood is out there right now amongst the consumer base.
    Oh my god yes. Loyalty be damned, if they did that, Konami would get my money!!!
    Not sure why they aren't doing exactly that....

They aren't getting my money from MG Survive, that's for damn sure. That would make a cool DLC for Phantom Pain (like the zombies from Red Dead Redemption, now that's how you do DLC!!), not a whole game.

@Master_Dahark, I'm glad I'm not a big Metal Gear guy, as I'd be conflicted. Cool remakes are coming out and that's amazing, but if I buy them I'm supporting an authoritarian company that treats its employees like prisoners. It's a hard decision to make, and I know many fans who will be on the fence with future Konami content that comes out, whether it's Metal Gear related or not.

Of course, if Konami were worried about these hypothetical remakes failing, they could just have a free DLC code available to first day players of the game only that featured an entirely nude model of Quiet that you could use in game in place of Snake or Boss in the games. Copies of the game would fly off the shelves and mass downloads of it on the PSN and XboxLive would crash the servers.
  • Z6My9v.gif
    Of course, if Konami were worried about these hypothetical remakes failing, they could just have a free DLC code available to first day players of the game only that featured an entirely nude model of Quiet that you could use in game in place of Snake or Boss in the games. Copies of the game would fly off the shelves and mass downloads of it on the PSN and XboxLive would crash the servers.
    Lol actually it's funny you mention that- have you kept up with the recent earnable outfits from the FOB's?
    You can now wear a bikini, and you're way more naked than Quiet!

I'd love the option to play as Big Boss-- the REAL Big Boss. Nothing more annoying than getting into the tux and that fucking prosthetic arm is still there. Also I'd love more options for your 'avatar character'.
    It's pretty cool that now it's over a year later and free DLC is still coming out now and again!
    Konami is the only company in the world that has really broken my heart. Fuck them.
  • I little something I threw together for anyone interested. I took one of these:

CVUPHEiUAAAKtLG.jpg

and one of these:

51TR5e67MLL.jpg

and make this: VENOM SNAKE!

14322660_10101023195475241_965618097565017133_n.jpg?oh=cf12a55ae87df137920de5862f22400a&oe=587D246114242379_10101023195500191_6872890640357365799_o.jpg

The green is much darker than the pic makes it seem- in the pics he looks lime! He really does look olive drab in real life. Oh well.